Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need your new business advice

Options
  • 03-10-2016 8:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭

I have approx 30k to invest in a small idea,I want to work for myself and have flexible working hours..Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

What do you know and what skills do you have? How much risk do you want to take on? Is that money just for the business or is that going to have tide you over until the business is profitable?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Giacomo McGubbin

depending on what you are able to do well, window cleaner, chimney sweep, chip van, taxi drive to name just a very few

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Look at essentials perhaps, an earth human can only survive without the following i) Air: 3mins ii) Water: 3days.
    You can go without food and shelter for a little bit longer, generally.

You can't sell air easily, but folks don't mind paying for fancy bottles of water. Sometimes this is just extra filtered tap water.
    Even better, what about hipster gm/sugar/wheat/additive - free 'beer water'?
    You'll need an extra zero on the budget to market it however...

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Digital_Guy

Step 1 - what are your skills?

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭happycoach

Find a problem and fix it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭mrawkward

happycoach wrote: »
    Find a problem and fix it

Well that piece of profound business advice should really set the OP on the right path.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

Step 1 - what are your skills?

Retail management for about 10 years,Worked in PR for about 18 months and the last two years ran a relative's bar

With that experience and you have no ideas of your own? Running your own business is unlikely to be for you.

mrawkward wrote: »
    With that experience and you have no ideas of your own? Running your own business is unlikely to be for you.

what do you do ?

what do you do ?

very nicely thank you!

• Advertisement

very nicely thank you!

shag all then, thought as much

shag all then, thought as much

I have made quite a lot of money over the years from good business and hard work. I now do pro bono mentoring for those starting out and can spot a winner/waster within a few minutes. Waster, first line of defence is generally abuse ;)

I have made quite a lot of money over the years from good business and hard work. I now do pro bono mentoring for those starting out and can spot a winner/waster within a few minutes. Waster, first line of defence is generally abuse ;)

Walters such as yourself are easy to spot

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

Jaysus !! Was just looking for a few ideas,Have considered Food truck,Hackney but was looking for a few other ideas

Prop Joe wrote: »
    Jaysus !! Was just looking for a few ideas,Have considered Food truck,Hackney but was looking for a few other ideas

You'll not get them here

You'll not get them here

Quite right! This is the kind of idea/dream/dedication/graft that is needed http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057278302, it comes from within.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Digital_Guy

You are probably better off getting a job or sticking with what you are currently doing, unless you can come up with some ideas of your own first - properly researched ones that you've thought about!

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭cacs

Prop Joe wrote: »
    I have approx 30k to invest in a small idea,I want to work for myself and have flexible working hours..Any suggestions?
    I have a few questions I would ask myself
    What's my usp
    Who is my customer
    What's my advertising and promotional route to market
    What's your competition doing
    How can you be different be better
    How do you make money

When you can answer these questions your flying

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

When you can answer these questions your flying

Apart from the whole choice of business/product/service thing.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Walters such as yourself are easy to spot

If you dont have anything constructive to the original posters question to add then I suggest you dont bother posting, keep your childish comments and tit for tat arguments to yourself or you will be taking a break from the forum.

• Advertisement

Axwell wrote: »
    If you dont have anything constructive to the original posters question to add then I suggest you dont bother posting, keep your childish comments and tit for tat arguments to yourself or you will be taking a break from the forum.

IF you had bothered to read the thread first, I was the first one to make suggestions, which is more than most, including yourself.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

IF you read the thread I was the first one to make suggestions, which is more than most, including yourself.

It wasnt a threat - it was a warning from a moderator of the forum to adjust your attitude and not get involved in personal abuse and tit for tat. One you ignored, so enjoy the break and unless you change your attitude dont bother coming back.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭JohnRock

Try to find something you have experience in or and interest in.
    And don't invest the whole 30k. Try something small, test the market response then expand

If you worked in retail maybe you could try an online shop, your pr skills would be useful also

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭happycoach

Until the idea comes, there's a great free course on Udacity called "How to build a startup". Then when you have your idea, you'll know how to execute it ;)

Hope it helps!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 59 ✭✭Websites4u

find out what you are good at and have a passion for. no one can answer that for you. use some of the €30K for marketing purposes. dip your toes in the water. whatever you do, do it on internet. I.e. instead of becoming a taxi driver, give tips on youtube on what makes a great / terrible taxi driver. dont be looking to use up that €30K to soon, its a decent amount saved so well done! Websites4u

• Registered Users Posts: 3 mirecart

I agree with Website4u, as it is not so much about the 30K or even your background. You obviously want a change, so it's about your future and that needs to include either your passion or at the very least something that you wake up every day saying, I'd like to do that again. :-)
    Can i ask what is making you step out on your own and build something. ?

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭betterman

Prop joe.
    My advice to you is invest in an eiis scheame https://www.enterprise-ireland.com/en/funding-supports/Company/Have-a-Startup-Idea/. And keep working. Starting your own business can be heavy work with little reward along with the fact that you wont have the the support of the welfare system in the event something happens to you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 59 ✭✭Websites4u

Tough to get funding from EI, unless it is a HPSU you get €50K but this is difficult. You could go down the route of your LEO - Local Enterprise Office, i think they match employment 50 / 50 up to a certain amount. EI is for exporting. Either way, i think you need to get some traction / sales before EI will touch you - i could be wrong, just my tuppence worth. In the end, the applications you go through, get the business running, go out and set up fb page, shop or twitter, etc and get selling with minimal investment!

Advertisement