Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help a newbie out ;)

Options
  • 03-10-2016 8:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭

Right so iv finally decided to get back on the saddle (have been away for 10 years since my school days) and need a hand picking some things out.

Have my bike on order which is in the link shown and also have shoes, pedals and cleats also.

http://www.giant-dublin.ie/en-ie/bik...2/28631/99342/

Need to get the following and I'm on a bit of a budget so any help would be greatly appreciated:

Bike Lock (No budget on this part)
    Lights front and back for 50K daily work commute.
    Helmet (Something that doesn't make me look like a complete tosser )
    Drink holder and Drink bottle ( Have been advised to get two of these as i will be doing some charity cycles and a couple of others wicklow 200 etc).

Thanks for any replies

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

I'd be asking the bike shop throw in a bottle cage and bottle when you get the bike.

Helmet are different. You need to find one that fits you and that does mean trying them on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

For a lock you can't go wrong with kryptonite locks (with the cable).

Lights - it depends on your budget and the roads that you're travelling on. Do you want to see or be seen? I use see sense lights and find them great, but I do most of my cycling on well lit roads. One time on dark roads I couldn't see that far ahead, so I have a second light now for those times.

Helmet... Tbh no helmets look great. The most important thing, besides not looking like a tosser, is your safety. I usually buy what I can online, but will always get a helmet in a shop where I can try it on properly and make sure it fits snug.

Drinks holders can be bought anywhere. As can drinks bottles. It just comes down to personal preference - material, colour, size... I had metal ones that made an awful noise on the bike and left a stain on my bottles, so I changed to carbon ones and they're grand.

For the lock and helmet I'd suggest a LBS or a bike shop of some sorts. The rest of the things if you're not fussy, check out the clearance section of chain reaction cycles / wiggle - you can get good bargains there.

And if you're planning 50km a day make sure and get some decent padded trousers ;)

Advertisement