Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lanzarote

Options
  • 03-10-2016 9:07pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Was there recently, been a few times and there's still lots to see and do.

Din't go AI unless that's your thing and you just want to sit by a pool all day, queue for breakfast lunch and dinner.

I hired a car ~ €160 for a week with full insurance, glad of it because it picked up a few dings in car parks when I had it.

Stayed in a quiet area between PDC and the airport. Airport was 10 mins drive away.

Things to see:

The volcano tour (Timanfaya National Park) - well worth it!

Camel trip near the volcano - if you've never done it then go for it, otherwise it'll bore you.

There is a famous architect that built some amazing spots - César Manrique -
    Jameos Del Agua.
    Mirador del Rio.
    Lagomar Museum - house built into caves in the hillside, once owned by Omar Sherif, lost in a card game.

Cueva de los Verdes is also worth a visit, spectacular trip down a lava tube with a clever twist at the end.

Town of Teguise is beautiful, go there on market day if you want crowds, bustle and tat, go there any other day and it's really really nice!

I'm sure there is stuff I missed, please ask!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ainegleeson

Folks, just back from a trip to Lanzarote. Super time as usual, great food, great weather, great beaches however must say that I have seen an huge rise in the cost of food & drink. It is no longer the cheap holiday destination it once was...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Folks, just back from a trip to Lanzarote. Super time as usual, great food, great weather, great beaches however must say that I have seen an huge rise in the cost of food & drink. It is no longer the cheap holiday destination it once was...

I found a bit of that allright but if you shop around it's still cheap.
    Food for 4 ranged from €15 at lunchtime to potentially €80 (we walked away when we saw the menu)

Evening dinners were between €40- 100 including drinks / wine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Advbrd

Are there many kids there this time of year? If I bring the kids, will they be bored as they have no one to hang out with?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Advbrd wrote: »
    Are there many kids there this time of year? If I bring the kids, will they be bored as they have no one to hang out with?

The location and time of travel we chose was to avoid kids and the associated noise so I'm afraid I cant help there. There were plenty around even though it wasn't mid-term break or anything. Aer Lingus had the usual amount of seat kickers / screamers as you would expect on any of their flights. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭Shint0

It has become more and more popular especially since people have been avoiding other destinations due to the risk of terrorists attacks. So it's not surprising they are pushing the prices up once the demand is there but tourist figures were already increasing upwards over the last few years anyway. I know someone who had a restaurant there then sold it and now they're kicking themselves because it's thriving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

Advbrd wrote: »
    Yeah, there'll be some kids, not a huge amount though.

We went in September last year and there were plenty of kids at the lower end of primary school age, between say 5 and 9 or 10 and likewise a few years ago we went in October (our eldest was only two then) there were a few kids about.

If you want to improve your chances of having other kids for yours to play with, I'd suggest aiming for family friendly hotels.

In any event, they shouldn't be bored - there's loads to do on the island!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

If one was to go the end of this month, What sort of weather would I expect?
    I heard it can be known to rain, is this true?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

It rained in July last year when I was there!!!

Weather is generally good, mid 20's during the day, a bit nippy in the evening thanks to a bit of a breeze, but once that dies down the nights are okay - high teens generally. If it does rain at this time of year, it's rarely for long. It certainly wouldn't put me off travelling.

It rained for about 5 minutes on a drive back from the mountains, it hadn't rained at the coast. That was it for the week.

I'd say 22-25 in the day, 18-20 at night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭...And Justice

How much at a guess to eat out for a family of 4, how much is a pizza, Indian food and how much for the volcano?. We were going to do the Rancho Texas night, did you have any experience of it?

• Advertisement

How much at a guess to eat out for a family of 4, how much is a pizza, Indian food and how much for the volcano?. We were going to do the Rancho Texas night, did you have any experience of it?

The volcano is:

If you are planning to do or than one attraction then buy a multi-ticket, get then on entry.

Eating out should be max €20 / head plus drinks.

Sorry, didn't do rancho Texas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭Benjamin Buttons

Anyone been to Lanzarote in December, if so what's the weather like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭...And Justice

Anyone been to Lanzarote in December, if so what's the weather like?

Weather is supposed to be good, I went in January because December was insanely pricey even the flights were crazy money.

The climate is sub tropical so very little change all year round.

It rains for about a day in total in winter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭Benjamin Buttons

Weather is supposed to be good, I went in January because December was insanely pricey even the flights were crazy money.
    Steve wrote: »
    The climate is sub tropical so very little change all year round.

It rains for about a day in total in winter.

Thanks Guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,205 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

I went to Lanzarote last July and the weather was not good, mostly cloudly and windy for the week. Our last day was beautiful though. I generally would go back but only late Autumn / Winter as there are better places on the med during the summer that is far qucker to get to (2 hours rather than 4 hours)

The place we stayed in (Costa Sal Luxury Villa in Matagorda) was fantastic and would definitely stay there again

The place we stayed in (Costa Sal Luxury Villa in Matagorda) was fantastic and would definitely stay there again

Stayed there myself a few years back, friend of mine was there this year and loved it. Would recommend it as well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 903 ✭✭✭MysticMonk

There's a chain of restaurants al over Lanzarote called Lani's. Don't eat there..it's the worst food I've ever had on the island and like a fool I went there on three separate occasions a few years apart just to make sure.

You will usually see tourists eating towards the front of the place,this is a trick to entice other tourists in..do not fall for it,they won't be back and the management know it.

Also don't buy ANYTHING from the electrical shops that sell binoculars,cameras and laser pointers..you will be ripped off by the moroccan and Pakistani owners who continually ramp the prices up as they try to sell you a "better" product than the one advertised in the window.

Advertisement