Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Women players calling for boycott

• 03-10-2016 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭

Next years world championships in Tehran are facing calls for a boycott from lots of prominent female chess players. FIDE awarded the event to Iran even though that the wearing of a hijab would be absolutely mandatory with no exceptions allowed! FIDE did not consult with any of the federations beforehand even though they were fully aware that the precondition that they were agreeing to would cause consternation amongst most of the women players,
    Sad also that few of the men have been vocal in support of their female compatriots, or condemnation of the decision.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭reunion

Can someone explain to me how it's against FIDE statutes against sex & religious discrimination? (as Nigel short is claiming)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭Tychoo

The question we should be asking is how much did Iran payout to host it. :cool:

If it was my daughter i'd advise her not to go, perhaps all men/tv/media:D should be excluded from the event so the women wouldn't have to wear the hijabie crap.

Tychoo wrote: »
    The question we should be asking is how much did Iran payout to host it. :cool:

Apparently they were the only applicant to host it so not much :pac:

Says a lot about women's chess then:(

Says a lot about women's chess then:(

Not really unless they never get applications for Women's chess events.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Ballynafeigh Chess

Im thinking the only way this charade will be busted is for a full and determined boycott by all.
    Imagine the outcry if black players were ordered to turn up wearing chains and Jew were ordered to wear an armband with a yellow star!
    Yet because it is just women being forced to wear the regalia of a slave its okay!

Actually while we're at it why don't we just sign them up for some unwanted FGM while they're there. Sure where's the harm.

Im thinking the only way this charade will be busted is for a full and determined boycott by all.
    Imagine the outcry if black players were ordered to turn up wearing chains and Jew were ordered to wear an armband with a yellow star!
    Yet because it is just women being forced to wear the regalia of a slave its okay!

That argument is absurd.

I found the petition that Nigel Short advertised (note he didn't start it): https://www.change.org/p/stop-women-s-oppression-at-the-world-chess-championship-by-challenging-fide-s-decision

Spoken like a true man Reunion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

Spoken like a true man Reunion
    I think this is a pretty stupid decision, and hope the event is moved, but comparing clothes to FGM is over the top, and attacking Reunion based on his gender is very unwelcome in my book.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Dragan Glas

Greetings,

I signed the petition on the grounds that wearing a hijab should be a individual visiting player's decision, regardless of Muslim women having to wear it.

To put it into perspective, this would be the equivalent of non-Muslim countries hosting the WCC - or any other competition - insisting that Muslim women could not wear a hijab - even if they wished to do so themselves.

In my opinion, it should be up to the individual woman what she wears wherever she goes.

Kindest regards,

James

To put it into perspective, this would be the equivalent of non-Muslim countries hosting the WCC - or any other competition - insisting that Muslim women could not wear a hijab - even if they wished to do so themselves.

So France wouldn't be a suitable location either? because Muslim women wouldn't be permitted to wear a burka?
    mikhail wrote: »
    I think this is a pretty stupid decision, and hope the event is moved, but comparing clothes to FGM is over the top, and attacking Reunion based on his gender is very unwelcome in my book.

I just wanted to know how Nigel's shorts claims of holding a FIDE event in a recognised FIDE federation broke the FIDE statutes against sex & religious discrimination!

Is Iran making women wearing a hijab sexist? Yes. Do I agree with forcing women to wear a hijab? No. Is FIDE holding an event in Iran sexist? No.

Excluding Iran from ever hosting an event because they don't hold the same values you do is insane. That's the question here, can a muslim country host an international event? Yeah they can. I see this as being respectful to the laws, customs and traditions of the country organising the event. It's not how I'd run an ideal tournament, but you can't ever run everyone's ideal tournament.

If you disagree on a personal note (Armenia disagreeing with Azerbaijan holding the Olympiad for instance), you can make a personal choice not to attend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Dragan Glas

Greetings,
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dragan Glas View Post
    So France wouldn't be a suitable location either? because Muslim women wouldn't be permitted to wear a burka?
    On that basis, yes. If a woman wishes to wear a burkha, then that's her decision.

Kindest regards,

James

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭ComDubh

Once you start down the boycott route, you will find very few countries left to play chess in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

Susan Polgar weighs in with a very sensible position:
    https://chessdailynews.com/revealing-my-position-regarding-2017-womens-world-championship/

The following is from the end of her piece:
    Most in the Western world are in agreement that there is a problem with women’s rights in Iran. I am certainly in this group. But the disagreement is how to tackle this delicate and contentious issue. Some believe that boycotting is the answer while others believe that by having this event in Iran, it will put the focus on the issue of women’s rights in the forefront, and this is the way to change and progress.

As for the female qualifiers, we MUST respect all opinions, whether they want to compete or not. It is a personal decision. I will vigorously defend any player’s right to boycott, and I will also defend the decision of any woman who chooses to compete with the same passion. But stop using these women, these athletes, to promote your own personal / political agendas. People can agree or disagree, but it is very wrong to attack any female player for making the decision they believe in.

Another question is what happens when a player wants to compete but will not wear the scarf what will the organizers do?
    Will she disqualified or will be arrested? Will she be even left into the country?

I think Fide will be on a lose lose with this one.

Another question is what happens when a player wants to compete but will not wear the scarf what will the organizers do?
    Permit them to play, this doesn't breach FIDE rules. They (or someone else) may however report you to the Iranian authorities
    Will she disqualified or will be arrested? Will she be even left into the country?

She won't be disqualified. The rest has nothing to do with chess.
    I think Fide will be on a lose lose with this one.

Care to explain? I don't see a lose lose here, except for someone who has said they will boycott the event. Either A. they boycott the event and can't compete or B. they compete and are a hypocrite. If they boycott, they are pointing the finger at FIDE instead of the National organisation which should have objected to the location of the venue.

If the event is run professionally, you have a very publicized event in a potential country with increasing players. You show you are inclusive of different cultures and respect procedures you currently have in place for selecting organizers for events. Shows you as a professional organisation.

Advertisement