Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Test riding bikes?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Would people have an issue dropping 3K on a bike that had been test ridden for (say) 10km by half a dozen other people beforehand?

Won't the bike get whatever marks/dirt/wear the very first time you ride it...or is the virginal perfection, the new-bike smell, a critical issue?

• Site Banned Posts: 10 Atlantic dream

brownian wrote: »
    Would people have an issue dropping 3K on a bike that had been test ridden for (say) 10km by half a dozen other people beforehand?

Won't the bike get whatever marks/dirt/wear the very first time you ride it...or is the virginal perfection, the new-bike smell, a critical issue?

I certainly would have issues spending a lot of money without test riding properly, it's something shops surely account for a demo models

Would you buy a new car you could only site in?

Seems alot of people are happy to buy and let salesman fob them off no demo bikes no test rides , no problem buddy I'll go to store down Street

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I certainly would have issues spending a lot of money without test riding properly, it's something shops surely account for a demo models

Would you buy a new car you could only site in?
    the problem with that comparison is that the mercedes garage doesn't need 4 different E220 cars, each in a different size, as a demo model.

the problem with that comparison is that the mercedes garage doesn't need 4 different E220 cars, each in a different size, as a demo model.

We'll a fool and his money is easily parted if your happy buy a bike on reviews and sales blurb fair play i want to ride a bike form my own view use the thing God gave us called a brain,

I think I'll come home and start selling high end bikes easy money judging by this thread

All I'm hearing is excuses to not let a customer test goods and i acutely sell cars for a high end brand and we have atm 9 demo's in different specs so please don't tell me no such thing as demo model in any thing from cars to tvs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

brownian wrote: »

Yep, I wouldn't be happy buying a bike at full price that had been used as a demo bike. It would need to be discounted. None of the shops ever have higher end bikes in my size in stock (and I wouldn't expect them to) as buying it would be a risk.

The difference in bigger markets to Ireland is that the manufacturers have a fleet of demo bikes for concept shops to use or demo days. That is not the case here sadly.

• Advertisement

nak wrote: »
    Yep, I wouldn't be happy buying a bike at full price that had been used as a demo bike. It would need to be discounted. None of the shops ever have higher end bikes in my size in stock (and I wouldn't expect them to) as buying it would be a risk.

The difference in bigger markets to Ireland is that the manufacturers have a fleet of demo bikes for concept shops to use or demo days. That is not the case here sadly.

That's why they are called demo's and discounted no one expects you to pay full tag for a demo and honestly some great bargains can be had in demo's, buy buying without trying your playing right into dealers hands you can be dam sure and busy shop gets big discounts on models to use as demo's but you'll pay full given the shop and extra 20/25% profit you guys need to come to America to see how to bargain nothing is bought for tag price

How do you lads sell used bikes sit on crossbar on test ride ? Hold his wife and kids as security? It's funny to me that anyone who has any bit of copyright on would buy off peg at full retail price, but I'll leave it there it's your money to spend on a bike you realise that you don't like but will do.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I think I'll come home and start selling high end bikes easy money judging by this thread
    go for it so.

generally speaking, when i'm in a bike shop, i'd expect to see one of each model on display. say though you've two models from the one line in stock, so two giant gravel bikes, which share the same geometry. if you want a demo model for this line, you'll probably need four sizes of one of the models, so you're carrying twice as many demo models as you actually have bikes on the shop floor.
    maybe the economies of scale are not there anymore for bike dealers, unless they're the large warehouse style outlets.

it'd be interesting to hear from a bike shop owner about what a typical stock variation is, and see if there's a back of the envelope calculation you can perform on the models they'd need for demos.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭C3PO

We'll a fool and his money is easily parted if your happy buy a bike on reviews and sales blurb fair play i want to ride a bike form my own view use the thing God gave us called a brain,

All I'm hearing is excuses to not let a customer test goods and i acutely sell cars for a high end brand and we have atm 9 demo's in different specs so please don't tell me no such thing as demo model in any thing from cars to tvs

I don't know whether you are deliberately not getting it but the fact is that most bike shops here in Ireland are not given demo bikes by the distributors so if a shop lets you try a bike it is from their sale stock! I wouldn't buy a "new" high-end bike that had been ridden by other people before I purchased it!

Look just because you got your pants pulled down and paid full price for a bike you never rode don't take it out on me! Lol if your innocent enough to think retailers don't get demo's at big discounts your dreaming and of course you will come in pay full price nice little extra for Shop! You haven't much idea how retail works do you think that nice BMW demo cost the dealer same as a none demo? The idea is to sell to sell you give people the experience of the machine they want ! Not just say I'll have that in 54 and hope I like it but sure you're the expert probably a shop owner who dosent like the facts being aired

C3PO wrote: »
    I don't know whether you are deliberately not getting it but the fact is that most bike shops here in Ireland are not given demo bikes by the distributors so if a shop lets you try a bike it is from their sale stock! I wouldn't buy a "new" high-end bike that had been ridden by other people before I purchased it!

You are dreaming they don't get them for free but at a good discount which is made up when sold as a demo! Which part is that hard to grasp?

• Advertisement

you said yourself you have nine demo models - what if you'd to quadruple that to account for different sizes?

go for it so.

generally speaking, when i'm in a bike shop, i'd expect to see one of each model on display. say though you've two models from the one line in stock, so two giant gravel bikes, which share the same geometry. if you want a demo model for this line, you'll probably need four sizes of one of the models, so you're carrying twice as many demo models as you actually have bikes on the shop floor.
    maybe the economies of scale are not there anymore for bike dealers, unless they're the large warehouse style outlets.

it'd be interesting to hear from a bike shop owner about what a typical stock variation is, and see if there's a back of the envelope calculation you can perform on the models they'd need for demos.

Btw your maths is so far off there it's ridiculous, typically irish thing a be grand the nice man said it's best bike ever lol, I'm done with this thread because you haven't got a bull**** notion what your talking about, we won't fall out over it just different points of view on spending quite a bit of cash

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭C3PO

Look just because you got your pants pulled down and paid full price for a bike you never rode don't take it out on me! Lol if your innocent enough to think retailers don't get demo's at big discounts your dreaming and of course you will come in pay full price nice little extra for Shop! You haven't much idea how retail works do you think that nice BMW demo cost the dealer same as a none demo? The idea is to sell to sell you give people the experience of the machine they want ! Not just say I'll have that in 54 and hope I like it but sure you're the expert probably a shop owner who dosent like the facts being aired

Wow ... how long did you say that you've been in the USofA?

that's me told so.

selling cars in america is a lot like... selling bikes in ireland.

73mcuh.jpg

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Don't worry guys, that Atlantic dream has been shattered....

You are dreaming they don't get them for free but at a good discount which is made up when sold as a demo! Which part is that hard to grasp?

My friend owns a bike shop and they don't get demo bikes - they have to buy in every bike they have on the shop floor at full trade price.

Beasty wrote: »
    but he had so much to teach us!

but he had so much to teach us!

I know! Sounds like he could teach me plenty about my own country (the US).

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭dusty207

selling cars in america is a lot like... selling bikes in ireland.

73mcuh.jpg

They sell English cars in America?

• Advertisement

Did you ban him?

dusty207 wrote: »
    They sell English cars in America?
    i think they're called jagwires over there.

Talking about the reg plate

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

All he got was a banstick? Pity. Probably deserved to share a private island with president Trump.

Thanks though, Beasty!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

dusty207 wrote: »
    Did you ban him?
    No, but we'll leave it there as he/the OP is/are sitebanned

Maybe one day our paths will cross again

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement