Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your favourite player ever...

124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Ronaldo the Brazilian

Craig Curran when he was playing for Limerick, ran his socks off, scored some lovely goals. Was a joy to watch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Ronaldinho. Even made a simple 5 yard pass entertaining.

Roy Keane was my hero but Ronaldinho was the footballer that you'd want to replicate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,304 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I have a soft spot for Romario.

Probably the best natural finisher I have ever seen , completely one footed but lethal .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Gianluigi Lentini was brilliant to watch as a young lad. Bad car crash messed him up.

Didn't even like Milan in the nineties but another one was 'Il Genio' himself Dejan Savicevic. Kind of like a taller Messi! Questionable head though and apparently never applied himself. Scary thought.

Something to be said for good defenders too. Liked watching Nesta because he was so graceful but still a brilliant defender. Jaap Stam wasn't bad either. Always got the impression lots of forwards were afraid of him. One of the most imposing defenders i've seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Ronaldo the Brazilian
    corny wrote: »
    Liked watching Nesta because he was so graceful but still a brilliant defender.

Look what i found...

https://vine.co/v/eXnBK9umv9A

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

David Silva. Just a brilliant, brilliant player. I cannot get enough of him.
    I liked Craig Bellamy for some reason.
    Cristiano - I love his dedication and desire. And this:

The Town have had some greats over the years: Alan Kirby, Sean Prunty, John Martin, and Eric Lavine; Longford Town's baby making machine!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

I think Iniesta has that one sewn up.

I disagree, Drogba has scored 10 goals in 10 finals, thats some record, I am not event a chelsea fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

bullvine wrote: »
    I disagree, Drogba has scored 10 goals in 10 finals, thats some record, I am not event a chelsea fan.

I'm not disputing that Drogba isn't a big game player, far from it. But Iniesta....man of the match in World Cup finals (won the trophy for Spain), Euro finals, Champions League finals...can't think of anyone else to do that. Zidane would be close.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Roberto Carlos. All-action, did everything with absolute aplomb, and scored one of the best free kicks I have ever seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭stooge

Van Basten mentioned earlier was amazing, Savecevic also for AC Milan was one of the most skilful players of his time. Roy Keane was my fav player growing up though.

Honorable mention to Hugo Sanchez... the king of the scissor kick!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,425 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Morten gamst pedersen - came to Rovers and made such an impact. I always loved him for his football and for how much he loved the club

Gennaro Gattuso - the hardest of hard bastards in that Milan midfield. Loved what he did on but mostly off the ball ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

Bergkamp for me. Never mind the technique and the finishing (Argentina 1998 stands out among most), it was his intelligence and influence on others around me that most stood out. Still remember the way he was able to turn games coming on as a substitute in his final season. It rankles me too the way Thierry gets most mentions from Arsenal fans, I like to remind them that Titi never looked the same after Bergkamp retired. Very few players ever exerted as much influence on their club and team mates as Bergkamp did.

Equally fond of Paul McGrath mind, but I find it hard to rank him objectively given my earliest memory of football is watching Paul McGrath in a green shirt on the tellybox. :D

Special mention to Cesc Fabregas in his early years (before he got pushed up into the playmaker role). Very few players had his vision but being pushed higher up the football pitch meant he kind of lost that ability as his emphasis shifted to the final ball.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Messi will always be the number 1 for me. Some of the stuff only he can do would nearly bring you to tears. But I always had a soft spot for Juan Roman Riquelme. He does get his props but he's still incredibly underrated in the grand scheme of things. Genius.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Luis Suarez of players still active. Both completely compelling to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

I'm not disputing that Drogba isn't a big game player, far from it. But Iniesta....man of the match in World Cup finals (won the trophy for Spain), Euro finals, Champions League finals...can't think of anyone else to do that. Zidane would be close.

He played well in the wins against United CL but Messi was the real difference in both of those games

bullvine wrote: »
    He played well in the wins against United CL but Messi was the real difference in both of those games

Yeah I agree with that. I think Iniesta was the best player against Juventus in 2015 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

Diego Maradona is the greatest player to ever play the game of football.

After him, Zico, Platini, Hagi, R. Baggio, M. Laudrup, Prosinecki, Rivaldo and Roy Keane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Korat wrote: »
    Diego Maradona and Johan Cruyff are the greatest players to ever play the game of football.

Fixed that line for you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Fixed that line for you

You need to add Pele to it as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

My favourite ever player is Danny McGrain. Loved Kenny Dalglish too (until he went to Liverpool :(). In more recent times it would have to be Henrik Larsson.

Favourite non-Celtic players would be Maradona and Messi. Couldn't say which one of them is the better footballer.

Looking through this thread, it reminds me also of how much I liked Le Tissier. Unbelievable goals, loyalty to his club, and always seems like he'd be a great bloke to go for a pint with.

I'm surprised not to see anyone mention Pele, although most of us are probably a bit too young to remember anything but his later stages, if that.

• Advertisement

You need to add Pele to it as well.

Nah. Not even the best striker ever, let alone best player ever

Nah. Not even the best striker ever, let alone best player ever

OK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

OK.

Did you watch him live?

Irish_rat wrote: »
    Did you watch him live?

Yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Mine is mark Hughes .

Granted being welsh helps but he was my boy hood hero , that last min goal against Oldham in 1994 semi final of fa cup I went nuts .

He also once played for wales in Prague and then got on a plane and came on for Bayern , he played two games in one day ... What a true hero .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

the Brazilian Ronaldo, never have a seen suck an aura around a player.

Mine is mark Hughes .

Granted being welsh helps but he was my boy hood hero , that last min goal against Oldham in 1994 semi final of fa cup I went nuts .

He also once played for wales in Prague and then got on a plane and came on for Bayern , he played two games in one day ... What a true hero .

He had a good career alright. Too bad he tried his utmost best to stifle and ruin Elano's career during his time as manager at Man City

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

MvB was the first player I truly loved.

I really loved his intensity and passion, and of course as a yunfleh the fact that he scored amazing goals would be the main thing, you don't really notice tactical awareness or anything like that at 9 years of age.

news106.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭jem

Jany too many to mention:( no double ups)
    on the international stage non current :maradonna, Socrates zico, falco( in fact the 1982 Brazilian team).van bastan, ronaldinho,baresi,rivaldo, romario, maldini, cruyff.ronaldo (original) (too young for pele etc)

On the international stage current - messi, Luis Suarez, robbin, Iniesta, modric,aguero.

Liverpool players all time: king kenny,barnes,rush , hansen and laurenson, souness molby, stevie G

Ireland . roy keane, davie langan, jim beglin, steve staunton, heighway, brady, mcgrath, aldridge, whelan,duff.

IMHO maradonna the best ever to play the game in my lifetime.

• Advertisement

Slowly but certainly this thread has evolved into a "who do you think is the best player" thread, i think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭POKERKING

He had a good career alright. Too bad he tried his utmost best to stifle and ruin Elano's career during his time as manager at Man City

What a really strange thing to say!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Probably Paul McGrath even though he never played for a club I supported. It's years since I read his autobiography but remember being very impressed by it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Football Friend

Arjen Robben for me. Loved watching him play for the sheer fact you knew he was going to do something every time he got the ball. Also the fact that he was so exclusively one footed and everyone knew this but he still managed to get his shots away. Just a really exciting player. I know this isn't the 'best' player thread but I genuinely believe there was a stage around 2 seasons ago before the emergence of Neymar and Suarez as real forces that he was just behind Messi and Ronaldo in the best player stakes.

Honourable mentions to Duff, Mata, Ronaldinho, Henry, Suarez, Buffon, Lahm, Verratti, Drogba, Torres, Hazard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I used to have a soft spot for Inzaghi, who could spend 85 minutes of a game doing nothing much more than getting caught offside multiple times, but who would invariably turn up with a goal in the end and then run off celebrating like he'd single handedly saved the world from destruction.

The man loved scoring goals.

Arghus wrote: »
    I used to have a soft spot for Inzaghi, who could spend 85 minutes of a game doing nothing much more than getting caught offside multiple times, but who would invariably turn up with a goal in the end and then run off celebrating like he'd single handedly saved the world from destruction.

Probably offside for the winning goal as well!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Georgi Kinkladze

he was a magician.

Arjen Robben for me. Loved watching him play for the sheer fact you knew he was going to do something every time he got the ball. Also the fact that he was so exclusively one footed and everyone knew this but he still managed to get his shots away. Just a really exciting player. I know this isn't the 'best' player thread but I genuinely believe there was a stage around 2 seasons ago before the emergence of Neymar and Suarez as real forces that he was just behind Messi and Ronaldo in the best player stakes.

Honourable mentions to Duff, Mata, Ronaldinho, Henry, Suarez, Buffon, Lahm, Verratti, Drogba, Torres, Hazard.

Robben not getting the player of the year award in 2014 was farcical.

POKERKING wrote: »
    What a really strange thing to say!

How? It certainly seemed that way

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Another of mine was Steve McManaman, loved how seemingly every time he got the ball he'd try and make something happen, was a hell of a mazy dribbler, could have scored more maybe but still a class act.

Arghus wrote: »

Not to mention, the bigger the occasion and the more important the match, the more likely it was that Inzaghi would score. The 07 Champions League final summed him up. Hero

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

From when I was young I had an unexplainable love for Andriy Shevchenko. The reason AC Milan will always be my Italian team.
    From a pure amazement point of view Ronaldinho, Kaka and Messi and 2002 Ronaldo
    Ireland I can't go beyond Duff, Given and Robbie
    Newcastle would be Given again Nobby Solano, an absolute hero up there, and Laurent Robert for those free kicks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Roy Keane. Ferocious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

From a Liverpool point of view It would be Torres for me. Then he broke my heart. I'll never forgive him

For Limerick I used to love watching Gaffney for the half season we had him under Martin Russell

For Ireland ..... probably Keane but purely because of his will to win regardless of opposition. Thats why I find the current incarnation of Keane tough to swallow at times. Talks about winning all the time and the irish team seem to get sent out not to lose. (off topic, I apologise)

Having said all that. I would wait 3 hours just to watch Messi warm up. He's like nothing I've seen. Not old enough for Maradona, I never appreciated Zidane enough early on (I was like 12-16 when he was king of the world) and Ronaldinho ran Messi close for me in terms of favourite players.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Ronaldinho..pure football joy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Georgi Kinkladze

he was a magician.

theres a player i had forgotten about,a joy with the ball at his feet, a pure footballer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Rod de Khors ... Athlone Town legend
    "Who Needs Cantona, We've Got Rod de Khors"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Iang87 wrote: »
    From a Liverpool point of view It would be Torres for me. Then he broke my heart. I'll never forgive him

For Limerick I used to love watching Gaffney for the half season we had him under Martin Russell

For Ireland ..... probably Keane but purely because of his will to win regardless of opposition. Thats why I find the current incarnation of Keane tough to swallow at times. Talks about winning all the time and the irish team seem to get sent out not to lose. (off topic, I apologise)

Having said all that. I would wait 3 hours just to watch Messi warm up. He's like nothing I've seen. Not old enough for Maradona, I never appreciated Zidane enough early on (I was like 12-16 when he was king of the world) and Ronaldinho ran Messi close for me in terms of favourite players.

Gaffney was very good under Taylor and scully too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭superfurry1

Manchester United Ryan giggs pure joy in full flight.
    Ireland Richard dunne the Russia game summed up the man never saw a better performance nothing short of miraculous.

St Patrick's Athlethic Eddie Gormley always a cut above the level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Ireland Richard dunne the Russia game summed up the man never saw a better performance nothing short of miraculous.

Paul McGrath v Italy surely?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

Frank Stapleton

21/25

• Advertisement
Advertisement