Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black screen Laptop with occassional HP logo

Options
  • 04-10-2016 3:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭

I have a HP pavilion laptop 15 e078sa.
    When I turn it on I'll get a HP logo for about 5 seconds then it goes black and I may get another HP logo a minute or so later.
    The HP logo would lead me to believe the LCD is not the issue.

What I've done:
    Removed the battery and ran it on Charger
    Refitted the memory module

Anyone have any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

When powering up tap the F10 (or ESC?) key to see if you can enter the bios screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭human 19

you dont say whether its new or not. Looks like OS might not be installed properly if the graphics card is working, as is suggestes by the intermittent logos.
    Does it sound like the machine is rebooting between the times you see the logos?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Was the machine a former Win8.1 that got upgraded to Win10?

A neighbour had a HP Desktop that was doing the HP Logo -> Black screen -> HP Logo -> Black screen loop thing.

After digging into it, the display adapter was not compatible with Win10 so BSODed the machine and then it tried to troubleshoot it's problems and eventually went into the loop.

I put it back to Win8.1 and prevented future Win10 upgrades (in case M$FT get all generous again). Happy camper now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Thanks for all the replies.
    I googled it and found a solution.
    Turns out the magnet that senses whether the lid is closed is broken/messed up.
    I managed to log into the computer and quickly change the setting from Hibernate to do nothing when computer lid is closed.
    I don't think I`ll bother fixing the magnet as it seems like hassle when the laptops working fine now as long as I don't change the setting back!

Advertisement