Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism and cycling

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,598 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Really so what about this yesterday in the indo
    https://www.independent.ie/world-new...-36424563.html
    that's not a minor prang between two cars though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

that's not a minor prang between two cars though.

Why you want one between two cars? sure the original clip was between a bike and a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,070 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

That's attempted murder.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

the caption on the video is amazing - "the accident happened in Colchester on May 13 2016" :pac:

the caption on the video is amazing - "the accident happened in Colchester on May 13 2016" :pac:

Its only in court now, as we know independent takes alot of its articles from the daily mail to save on costs !!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Its only in court now, as we know independent takes alot of its articles from the daily mail to save on costs !!!!!!!!!

my comment was to do with the use of the word accident :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

amcalester wrote: »
    Yeah, it looks like the cyclists assumed all traffic was going right.

I can only assume it was their first time going through that junction.

That junction is such a disaster for cycling, and the tragedy is that there's acres of space to put in proper cycling infrastructure, but the powers that be are more focused on the throughput of motor traffic.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Seriously? The solution to someone not looking or signalling before turning right is to spaff loads of money on changing the junction?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Seriously? The solution to someone not looking or signalling before turning right is to spaff loads of money on changing the junction?

Agree with you in general, but that junction is a mess of potholes and road markings painted over existing road markings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

A much cheaper alternative would be to close the junction to motor traffic altogether, creating a much safer space for people who walk or cycle. If spending money is what concerns you, then this would be a no-brainer.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Tad extreme don't you think?

Looking and signalling doesn't cost you a penny.

Moflojo wrote: »
    A much cheaper alternative would be to close the junction to motor traffic altogether, creating a much safer space for people who walk or cycle. If spending money is what concerns you, then this would be a no-brainer.

I be happy for them to close off the city to traffic if they had luas working all over the city.

For me there should be car parks about 5 miles out and a luas at that those car parks to bring the people into city, linking the whole city up. Hence less busses needed also.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I be happy for them to close off the city to traffic if they had luas working all over the city.

For me there should be car parks about 5 miles out and a luas at that those car parks to bring the people into city, linking the whole city up. Hence less busses needed also.

You could also just have bus terminals run from them rather than putting in costly infrastructure.

This said, not a response to the cyclist in the article, he is an idiot and just should not be allowed out in general.

CramCycle wrote: »
    You could also just have bus terminals run from them rather than putting in costly infrastructure.

This said, not a response to the cyclist in the article, he is an idiot and just should not be allowed out in general.

I don't like the bus idea, too many buses in the city already.
    But that's just me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Piece on The Hard Shoulder there with Stephen from iBike Dublin.

Started off with a call for more enforcement of legislation on parking in cycle lanes and descended into the usual nonsense about road tax.

Ivan was his usual boorish self; cyclists should pay road tax because the use the road but pedestrians should be exempt because they don’t.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I don't like the bus idea, too many buses in the city already.
    But that's just me

I understand but if you imagine that when you remove private cars completely and restrict taxis, buses will not only be more predictable, there simply will not be motorised traffic on many roads and cyclists can take the main lane in alot of cases.

It would certainly be a huge improvement on the current system, the idea of more LUAS lines adds more issues for cyclists and buses are more adaptable, so can move with times and populations. The LUAS should only be there for the main throughfare and that is it, acting as a compliment not a replacement to the bus system.

Buses can also adapt to breakdowns and the like alot quicker, a tram breaks down and at the minute, a good chunk of line is shut down.

i appreciate your point but not everyone can walk or cycle, so public transport should be supported above everything else (bar pedestrians) in an urban center

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Ivan was his usual boorish self; cyclists should pay road tax because the use the road but pedestrians should be exempt because they don’t.

He's just another Newstalk professional jerk, isn't he? I heard him for more than a few minutes for the first time last week. He was talking about how we all hate Nordies. I won't make the mistake of listening to him again.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

They don't use the road?! wonder what all those herds of human looking lemming type animals are that I see dangerously sprinting across the N11 every morning. Very often illegally. On my commute I usually come across more people on the road on foot than on bikes.

The RSA also refer to them as road users.

http://www.rsa.ie/RSA/Road-Safety/Campaigns/Current-road-safety-campaigns/Vulnerable-Road-Users/
    The Road Safety Authority (RSA) launched its new Vulnerable Road Users campaign, Monday 9th April 2012. This new campaign is aimed at raising awareness of the vulnerability of road users such as pedestrian and cyclists and calling for all road users especially drivers to share the road safely.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

No.

A redesign is needed regardless.

However, a typical Dutch junction design would reduce or remove the risk of tilt his type of collision by forcing the cyclist into better eye contact with the motorist.

A key feature of ‘sustainable safety’ is to allow for mistakes by road users.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

Piece on The Hard Shoulder there with Stephen from iBike Dublin.

Started off with a call for more enforcement of legislation on parking in cycle lanes and descended into the usual nonsense about road tax.

I didn['t hear it to the end but yes, Ivan was incredibly boorish and Stephen I Bike called him out on the "They" of lumping all cyclists together as a unified mass of RLJ's etc. It's not a particular set on people who cycle though, Yates was also incredibly boorish in introducing and interviewing the following guest talking re Arts Funding.

I listen if I can, when Iknow that something I'm interested in is coming up but otherwise Yates is a pain. He blathers on about his own views which you don't get on Drivetime.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,598 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

why do people like him go on to yates's show knowing yates has his own agenda?

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

why do people like him go on to yates's show knowing yates has his own agenda?

I guess in the hope of getting your point across to a wider audience. On SM you are more likely to be preaching to the converted or engaging in a keyboard spat with people who are strongly opposed to your point of view. I don't know if it does any good, but I often think it's David v Goliath.

Cycle Campaigners are generally volunteers with no slick PR machine behind them and they tend to be pitted against lobbyists with ample funding, ie Road Haulage Assoc, Dublin Town, Irish Parking Association, AA etc. if a politician is interviewed re cycling it's invariably a Green as if safety/ air-pollution/congestion/health/climate-change were all fringe issues.

It's a very unequal situation but if the campaigners don't take the chance offered by media to reach out to a wider audience how will they ever effect changes re legislation/enforcement/funding?

M B I'm not so much answering you as thinking aloud. Another Biblical image comes to mind, Daniel in the Lion's Den

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭buffalo

Tad extreme don't you think?

Looking and signalling doesn't cost you a penny.

Or indeed, using the giant advanced stop box to get into the right lane. Assuming it was clear. If not, sit on the bonnet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭randomname2005

I think we need to be somewhat cautious in this and make sure we don't discourage people from going into the cities and impact on economic activity where it should be thriving.

I have two kids under 4, one who can't walk yet, and live just outside of Galway. There are public transport options we could take into Galway City but they do not facilitate easy access and use of the city. Sure, we can put the youngest into a buggy and hop on the bus or train (if there is space on the bus), along with all of the bits and pieces you need for a baby. But we have found that if you want to do any kind of shopping you run out of hands and space very quickly without having a car to go to and drop things off. Taking public transport into the city only works (for us) when we want to go to an event or specific location. If we couldn't drive to the city we would do all of our shopping in the shopping centres outside of the city.

Undoubtedly it would make the city a nicer place to visit and walk around, but we need to be aware of the unintended consequences that could occur.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

I think we need to be somewhat cautious in this and make sure we don't discourage people from going into the cities and impact on economic activity where it should be thriving.

I have two kids under 4, one who can't walk yet, and live just outside of Galway. There are public transport options we could take into Galway City but they do not facilitate easy access and use of the city. Sure, we can put the youngest into a buggy and hop on the bus or train (if there is space on the bus), along with all of the bits and pieces you need for a baby. But we have found that if you want to do any kind of shopping you run out of hands and space very quickly without having a car to go to and drop things off. Taking public transport into the city only works (for us) when we want to go to an event or specific location. If we couldn't drive to the city we would do all of our shopping in the shopping centres outside of the city.

Undoubtedly it would make the city a nicer place to visit and walk around, but we need to be aware of the unintended consequences that could occur.

There is a huge difference between Dublin and Galway. Most people shopping in Dublin do not drive. If they drive they go to the likes of blanchardstown and Liffey valley shopping centres.

I live in Dublin and I've two under one. Public transport, bus or Luas, is the easiest way to get them into town. It's just roll-on-roll-off with the buggy. Next year now they'll probably be big enough to transition to the trailer and it can double up as a buggy. Driving into town with them would be a nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭randomname2005

I live in Dublin and I've two under one.

Fair play!
    Public transport, bus or Luas, is the easiest way to get them into town. It's just roll-on-roll-off with the buggy. Next year now they'll probably be big enough to transition to the trailer and it can double up as a buggy. Driving into town with them would be a nightmare.

Absolutely agree that it is the easiest way to get into town - when we visit our families in Dublin we wouldn't consider driving in (and that was before Luas Cross City!). But we would only do random bits and pieces shopping as part of a day out to see the lights or one of the parks.

If we need to do any shopping we go to one of the centres, like what was mentioned by Fighting Tao above. Because with a toddler, buggy and baby bag there is only so much that can be carried before the situation becomes unsafe.

With a car, while more difficult to access the city, I can drop off things and still be able to safely look after the kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

I live in Dublin and I've two under one. Public transport, bus or Luas, is the easiest way to get them into town. It's just roll-on-roll-off with the buggy. Next year now they'll probably be big enough to transition to the trailer and it can double up as a buggy. Driving into town with them would be a nightmare.
    My own view is that young kids just dont like going to city centre and the reality is that there's not much for them to enjoy there. Its not a place for them. Its no fun for them. Under the age of one, thats fine. When they get to 5 or 6 though.......its stand here, wait here, hold my hand, cross now, walk for ages, wait for the bus, or spend ages looking for parking, stand in this shop, dont run away......

Kids do a piece in early primary school where they are given words and they have to make up sentences out of them. One day they had 'love' and 'hate'; my son wrote 'I hate town'.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

independent.ie seems to be running a special Christmas edition anti-cyclist campaign...... 'the shocking moment when a cyclist ran a red light, caught on camera'.....

• Advertisement

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    My own view is that young kids just dont like going to city centre and the reality is that there's not much for them to enjoy there. Its not a place for them. Its no fun for them. Under the age of one, thats fine. When they get to 5 or 6 though.......its stand here, wait here, hold my hand, cross now, walk for ages, wait for the bus, or spend ages looking for parking, stand in this shop, dont run away....

Yeah, I remember hating town when I was younger. Mine are grand in the buggy for the time being but I'm sure it won't last. Maybe when they're older I'll try keep them occupied, like training them to shoplift....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement