Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism and cycling

Options

Comments

ED E wrote: »
    Dont get me started on the player....

Jump 6 or 7 minutes in from the start.

Cheers :D

Still too mean to pay google the chrome cast fees I see, even my 60 year old mam curses "the player" for that reason while she squints at her phone lol

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I seen her goign between the two buses and stopped watching
    soon after. "I don't know what to do here?" Here is an idea, if your that uncomfortable/scared, don't go between two buses FFS I imagine there are loads looking at it and thought nothing of it.

The truck bit was crazy driving but is pretty normal in the world of no one can see you because your not a car and that is all they are looking for. Would have been far more entertaining telly if she followed the lorry and told me she had it all on camera, and when he laughed/shrugged/told her to F off, she pointed to the RTE film camera.
    Cheers :D

Still too mean to pay google the chrome cast fees I see, even my 60 year old mam curses "the player" for that reason while she squints at her phone lol
    You have to pay fees to use chrome cast? I had an app that just broadcast whatever was on your phone screen to the chrome cast, not sure of the name now as I haven't used it since someone threw my phone on the ground and broke it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Re the bus, Wasn't the bus on her right stopped? I'm a line of traffic? Not ideal to go up in been them, given that the one on her left probably couldn't see her, but given that she's inexperienced I can see how it would happen - fight or flight type of situation, sometimes people just carry on.
    I did once see a courier in front of me go up in between two moving buses, and bang his bars against both buses repeatedly on his way through, so tight was the space. He didn't even slow down. I couldn't believe what I was seeing!

Thought it was a good section actually, and dodgy bus pass aside a good example of what it's like to cycle along that stretch. The lorry moment would have engaged/terrified me, I have never had a HGV do that to me. Plenty of cars and vans though.

The DIT person was interesting too, I hope they part attention to desire lines in future. And the ridiculously difficult to access bus stops - having to walk 20 mins to get to a stop I The other side of a wall irritates the fcuk out of me, there are so many, my tiny mind boggles.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭what_traffic

CramCycle wrote: »
    I seen her goign between the two buses and stopped watching
    soon after. "I don't know what to do here?" Here is an idea, if your that uncomfortable/scared, don't go between two buses FFS I imagine there are loads looking at it and thought nothing of it.

The truck bit was crazy driving but is pretty normal in the world of no one can see you because your not a car and that is all they are looking for.

I think she was trying to prove that point? i.e that is what a regular person who cycles in Dublin City have to put up with (not a cyclist). Thought it was a good show from Dr Dungan and the Eco Eye team, only issue with the show I would have is using Westport as a Model Cycling town. Contribution from DIT lecturer Lorraine Darcy was excellent in showing modern urban planning flaws in our towns and Citys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Eco Eye contacted me about using footage for this episode a while back, but ultimately they didn't use it. They did mention however there would be further online-only episodes and may use the footage then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

This online clip has more than made the TV cut.

https://www.facebook.com/ecoeye15/videos/821760518031613/?hc_ref=ARQoouMvyVfevwbf6SdrgxMB4gy08-NzJBzPxzxmspAobX7LmJDC58o_xRkSGDvofPE

EDIT: That green van is you is not Danbo?

Heather from CI spoke very well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

This online clip has more than made the TV cut.

https://www.facebook.com/ecoeye15/videos/821760518031613/?hc_ref=ARQoouMvyVfevwbf6SdrgxMB4gy08-NzJBzPxzxmspAobX7LmJDC58o_xRkSGDvofPE

EDIT: That green van is you is not Danbo?

Aye, along with a few others in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Paused a movie while my wife sorts out the bickering kids upstairs and stumbled upon some monstrosity of a rip off of Room 101 except with a ****ty dust bin on The Late Late Show. Anyway the clowns in the audience and panel voted to dump "arrogant cyclists who cycle two or three abreast". Maura Derrane was the one who brought that up.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭andy69

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Paused a movie while my wife sorts out the bickering kids upstairs and stumbled upon some monstrosity of a rip off of Room 101 except with a ****ty dust bin on The Late Late Show. Anyway the clowns in the audience and panel voted to dump "arrogant cyclists who cycle two or three abreast". Maura Derrane was the one who brought that up.

Saw that myself just by chance. Couldn't believe it. My wife spoke over one part where I thought yerwoman made some sort of gesture like bumping us off the road or something but I couldn't hear what she said. Will watch it back on the dreaded player tomorrow.
    But she "likes cycling and cyclists...it's just the ones who cycle 3 and 4 abreast...on country roads...the arrogant ones". FFS and the the entire audience voted to dump cyclists into the bin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Yeah apparently arrogant cyclists cycle 3 or 4 abreast. Has anyone pointed out that even on a specifically designed road like a motorway carraigeway (yeah I know cyclists can’t use them) that this is impossible?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Ross Noble got applause from the audience when he did much the same on Room 101. He mentioned that he didn't mind mountain bikers and the like, who didn't use the road.

Wouldn't it have been great if there was a guest on she didn't know was a cyclist and got schooled on the reason for going 2 abreast and why it's safer for all concerned on live TV even the RSA ad nearly gets that right. I've never in my life felt an urge to contact the broadcasting authority but I do now :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

She said four abreast

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

tampopo wrote: »
    She said four abreast

They said pretty much every number starting at 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Yeah apparently arrogant cyclists cycle 3 or 4 abreast. Has anyone pointed out that even on a specifically designed road like a motorway carraigeway (yeah I know cyclists can’t use them) that this is impossible?
    Its perfectly possible to cycle four abreast in one lane of a normal road, as any A4 racer can attest :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,832 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Ross Noble got applause from the audience when he did much the same on Room 101. He mentioned that he didn't mind mountain bikers and the like, who didn't use the road.

MTB'er don't get away with it either, as soon as they move from cars onto two feet, the attitudes follow...

• Registered Users Posts: 29,070 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

andy69 wrote: »
    Saw that myself just by chance. Couldn't believe it. My wife spoke over one part where I thought yerwoman made some sort of gesture like bumping us off the road or something but I couldn't hear what she said. Will watch it back on the dreaded player tomorrow.
    But she "likes cycling and cyclists...it's just the ones who cycle 3 and 4 abreast...on country roads...the arrogant ones". FFS and the the entire audience voted to dump cyclists into the bin.

Topped off by a derogatory little dig at public transport users from the slightly nasty Eoin Colfer.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Maura Derrane was the one who brought that up.
    and in the way of these things nowadays, someone has dug up an article referring to her being done for speeding:

https://www.leinsterleader.ie/news/local-news/72856/TV-presenter-must-appear-on-speeding.html

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭andy69

Topped off by a derogatory little dig at public transport users from the slightly nasty Eoin Colfer.

Yeah noticed that actually....like they were bragging that only one of the panel might have used public transport in the last 20yrs. As if that's a good thing.
    So smug

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Lumen wrote: »
    Its perfectly possible to cycle four abreast in one lane of a normal road, as any A4 racer can attest :pac:

Ah yeah fair enough racing is on closed roads and there’s unlikely to be a motorist overtaking.

She’s referring to normal Freds like me who go out on group spins in groups of 10 or 12. We’ll be out around west Dublin and Meath tomorrow morning, seven abreast at 15kph, eagerly searching for motorists to “hold up”. ..:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭koutoubia

Wouldn't it have been great if there was a guest on she didn't know was a cyclist and got schooled on the reason for going 2 abreast and why it's safer for all concerned on live TV even the RSA ad nearly gets that right. I've never in my life felt an urge to contact the broadcasting authority but I do now :mad:
    Normally I would just shrug those clips off with a MEH! but that was a despiciable clip with cyclists being compared to farm animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Ah yeah fair enough racing is on closed roads and there’s unlikely to be a motorist overtaking.
    Not in Ireland. Racing is on open roads, the ROTR still apply though blind eyes are often turned...

Wouldn't it have been great if there was a guest on she didn't know was a cyclist and got schooled on the reason for going 2 abreast and why it's safer for all concerned on live TV

I often daydream about going "The Filth and the Fury" on smug shows.

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    MTB'er don't get away with it either, as soon as they move from cars onto two feet, the attitudes follow...

I should have said that Frank Skinner didn't put cyclists in Room 101. He said nice things about them (a bit too much along the lies of "trying to save the world", but it was sincere.)

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

Do complain! (As will I) but afaik it's rte you have to complain to first and if they don't addresss it to your satisfaction tehn the next step is the Broadcasting Authority. It certainly seemed to breach the conditions re causing/promoting/inciting harm or offence.

I'd never heard of Room 101, so was this LL rip-off intended as light comedy?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Times is packed full of positive coverage today. Class.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

https://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/eco-eye-1112/10825040/

Cycling featurette contained within. Presenter gets cut up twice on the quays.

Just getting around to watching this. The 'greenway' they talk about from around 12 mins in is part my commute, the roundabout they mention at the end of the greenway leads onto the R149, the bane of my life....The do talk about the speed of the cars there but would love for them to have looked at where the road leads to.

We could definitely do with more of this type of programming / reporting.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

In case it wasn't posted somewhere here already:

https://twitter.com/IrishCycle/status/952915215359856641

• Advertisement

Trojan wrote: »
    In case it wasn't posted somewhere here already:

https://twitter.com/IrishCycle/status/952915215359856641

I'd throw that into the Party Bus too Trojan, so more might catch it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement