Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism and cycling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Actually I just noticed that they updated to say they have enough (though personally I'd send them EVERYTHING).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

No harm, the more the better I'd say!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,657 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Dublin Cycling Campaign have sent a complaint about the Late Late Show piece on cycling to RTE

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2018/01/15/soft-headed-and-hard-hearted/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

According to twitter there was the usual 'balanced' discussion on cyclists on Ivan Yates Newstalk today.

https://twitter.com/IrishCycle/status/953303091406934016

I"m absolutely not listening back, do so at your peril!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭buffalo

According to twitter there was the usual 'balanced' discussion on cyclists on Ivan Yates Newstalk today.

Is 'Richard Grogan & Ass' an actual law firm?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

https://twitter.com/IrishCycle/status/953303091406934016

I"m absolutely not listening back, do so at your peril!!!

I listened so you wouldn't have to Annie....but how will you know where your rights end and your duty begins if you don't listen to the experts brought on for your enlightenment :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

buffalo wrote: »
    Is 'Richard Grogan & Ass' an actual law firm?

:D:D brilliant
    I listened so you wouldn't have to Annie....but how will you know where your rights end and your duty begins if you don't listen to the experts brought on for your enlightenment :rolleyes:

Indeed! I'll take my chances....:)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Employment Solicitors,Registered Trust and Estate Practitioners,and Registered Tax Consultants .Plain speaking and independent advice.Tweets not legal advice

Why is this guy and his ass on a discussion show about cyclists?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

CramCycle wrote: »
    Why is this guy and his ass on a discussion show about cyclists?

Clearly all the bankers were too busy?

It was dreadful stuff, cannot have a passing law because solicitors would challenge it in court.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I see his twitter bio has "plain-speaking" in it, while @itaokelly who has been busy tweeting about cyclists needing to earn respect and stop being shrill, has "opinionated journalist" in her bio.

Coincidentally, I also saw this today:
    https://twitter.com/iamreddave/status/953215378951372800

€900k awarded to family of cyclist killed in 2012

https://www.rte.ie/news/courts/2018/0116/933840-oleary-award/

RIP I remember reading about this at the time. A terrible tragedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,657 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Yeah that was a very sad case. Made sadder by him doing the Ring of Kerry cycle for a downs syndrome charity as his daughter has downs. And then worse by the driver of the Land Cruiser that killed him doing a runner to Australia. At least he got caught in the end but what a spineless creature.

RIP Paud OLeary

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

€900k awarded to family of cyclist killed in 2012

https://www.rte.ie/news/courts/2018/0116/933840-oleary-award/

RIP I remember reading about this at the time. A terrible tragedy.
    Only 40% more tragic than Mary Harney being called an alcoholic, according to our wonderful legal system.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

nowt to do with cycling, but good god:

Drunk driver given community service for killing man, injuring gardaí
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/circuit-court/drunk-driver-given-community-service-for-killing-man-injuring-garda%C3%AD-1.3360756

• Registered Users Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭Macy0161

nowt to do with cycling, but good god:
    There's feck all enforcement, and when cases do go to court, it always seems to be lenient. There is no real disincentive to dangerous driving.

Macy0161 wrote: »
    There's feck all enforcement, and when cases do go to court, it always seems to be lenient. There is no real disincentive to dangerous driving.
    Did you real the article? The widow requested clemency.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Lumen wrote: »

what about the severely injured garda?

Four years driving ban, for getting drunk and driving into three people at speed

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

But I don't believe either of the 2 injured Gardai, one seriously so, did.

He potentially destroyed 3 families, he got a slap on the wrist and will be allowed drive again in 3 years.

My own father was nearly killed by a Drunk driver who walked away unscathed. Nothing ever came of that. That was 30 years ago and still we are getting this absurd, laughable punishments.

Hopefully the DPP appeals.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

I didn't read about the Garda who suffered life changing injuries requesting clemency though.

• Advertisement

I didn't read about the Garda who suffered life changing injuries requesting clemency though.
    Muphry's Law strikes again. (slaps self)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Views of the victims family don't seem to matter when they come out disgusted with a lenient sentence, so no pass for the judge from me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i genuinely don't care if the widow requested clemency. i (possibly mistakenly) regard one of the reasons for a justice system is that it takes the task of levying justice out of the victim's hands. the effect on the victim and their family *is* evidence; but as the perp broke society's laws, they should get what society deems fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

The thing that gets me is that this drunk - Adrian Nestor - killed someone then uses his "depression" to drink more and then uses that as mitigation! If he was truly sorry he'd have given up the drink straight away.
    Whatever about jail time (which he should definitely have received) the very short driving ban is a disgrace.

What's weird is that his driving ban is about the same duration as the custodial sentence you might have expected. Is it just me who gets the impression that the courts treat driving as almost akin to a human right?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

What's weird is that his driving ban is about the same duration as the custodial sentence you might have expected. Is it just me who gets the impression that the courts treat driving as almost akin to a human right?

I'm with ya there. Judge deferring a ban so an aul fella could go to Lisdonvarna says it all.
    BY Ruairi Scott Byrne
    June 09, 2016
    A bachelor from Kerry has been handed a driving ban for drink driving - but the punishment won't come into effect until December to allow the man time to get his affairs in order, a court has ruled.

John O’Shea, a farmer who lives in an isolated part of the Kingdom, now has five months to bag himself a wife and has been allowed to drive himself to the Lisdoonvarna matchmaking festival this September.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭the world wonders

Pedestrian who sued teen cyclist over collision settles case
    Legal sources believe case could have implications for cyclists as uninsured road users
    A pedestrian who sued a teenage cyclist over injuries suffered when he was knocked down by the boy’s bike on a footpath in Raheny, Dublin has conditionally settled his High Court action.
    Defendant sounds like a right knob to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Defendant sounds like a right knob to be honest
    another link if that is not working for people
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/pedestrian-who-sued-teen-cyclist-over-collision-settles-case-1.3361483
    Legal sources believe the case could have implications for cyclists as uninsured road users.
    Pedestrians are also uninsured road users. I was knocked off by one who was illegally & recklessly crossing the road about a year ago, he strolled off not a bother, I limped away. If I had sued him I wonder if any "legal sources" would have said similar about "uninsured pedestrians".

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Glad to see the system working. Hope Mr. Buckley recovers without to much lasting pain, not the way to start retirement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Just read that article on the irish time Facebook page. Cyclist sounds like a right tool.

Needless to say the people commenting will have the finger on the pulse when it comes to preventing this happening again:

Cyclists should have “Road tax”, insurance, helmets and hi vis apparently.

Then this will never happen again.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement