Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism and cycling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

TheChizler wrote: »
    It's amazing how drivers manage to avoid all the ninja ditches, trees, and kerbs.

Not to mention the other ninja drivers in dark colour cars without their lights turned on at dusk and - this one does my nut every time - silver coloured cars on the motorway in fog or poor visibility water-spray conditions with ....

... wait for it ... no lights. "I know, I'll just drive this here car at 70mph (120kph) whilst blending into the conditions such that other cars can't see me".

And then such drivers have the gaul & audacity to say the problem is cyclists not wearing reflective clothing. Fvck right off.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Lemming wrote: »
    this one does my nut every time - silver coloured cars on the motorway in fog or poor visibility water-spray conditions with ....

... wait for it ... no lights. "I know, I'll just drive this here car at 70mph (120kph) whilst blending into the conditions such that other cars can't see me"
    I once t-boned a beige Volvo in heavy fog. It was extremely difficult to see.

Volvo.jpg

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

TheChizler wrote: »
    It's amazing how drivers manage to avoid all the ninja ditches, trees, and kerbs.

That might be a part of the problem— they don’t!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 captain a

He lost me at "road tax"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 captain a

He lost me at "road tax"

I take full responsibility for getting that wrong, noticing it after i'd submitted and being too lazy to contact the editor after the fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

captain a wrote: »

Well that’s a fair crock of ****e.

I confess I went back and read it fully he did have some decent thoughts re: road ownership and the amount paid vs actual cost per meter or kilometre but failed miserably then to say it's motor tax not road tax etc. and address that elephant in the room.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

I confess I went back and read it fully he did have some decent thoughts re: road ownership and the amount paid vs actual cost per meter or kilometre but failed miserably then to say it's motor tax not road tax etc. and address that elephant in the room.

His thoughts are very poorly set forth though.

He repeatedly refers to cyclists as annoying, in an article about road users needing to share the space.

Seems like his bias is shining through.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭buffalo

Some stories from Ireland...

Lucky escape for pensioner after van crashes into Co Down house or 'House not wearing enough hi-viz'.

Motorists angry as 21 cars clamped on South Dock Road or 'Some car owners angry as law is enforced after repeating warnings'.

Judge lifts one-year driving ban on FF councillor or 'Councillor commits dangerous offence in car, tries to scam his way out of it, but bizarrely is allowed keep both his public position and his driving licence because he's a publican (!!?) and a fuel supplier'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

http://www.thejournal.ie/cyclists-injuries-ireland-3823052-Jan2018/
    Nearly four cyclists are hospitalised in Ireland every day

OVER 2,600 CYCLISTS were hospitalised in road accidents in 2015 and 2016, new figures have revealed.

Just don't read the comments.... All the cyclists fault because 'Road tax'

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

Judge lifts one-year driving ban on FF councillor

Judge O’Donnell said he was lifting the driving ban given that O’Callaghan has no previous convictions and, when interviewed by gardaí, owned up.

I despair, someone gets a driving ban removed because when confronted with a blown up photo of themselves driving a vehicle they had denied driving they "owned up" What about the previous lying?

FF should expel him but how likely is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Grassey wrote: »
    http://www.thejournal.ie/cyclists-injuries-ireland-3823052-Jan2018/

Just don't read the comments.... All the cyclists fault because 'Road tax'

Oh god the comments, why did I read the comments:(

The article is quite sobering. I've often worried about my safety given the numbers of fatalities in the last year, but never thought about it like this – 4 hospitalisations per day is nuts. I'm sure there are plenty more incidents that don't require hospitalisation too. The other unknown is how many are a quick check up in A&E and how many are long stints with life-changing injuries.

I read this tweet the other night too and have been particularly vigilant since.

https://twitter.com/ShaneOSullivan/status/957680212380209154

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Whether four per day is a big number really depends on what hospitalisation means on average, and how many people are cycling, and what cycling means.
    A caveat about this data. We need to be sure that it only contains numbers of cyclists who were admitted via ED to a hospital bed as a result of impact with motorised vehicles. Are injuries suffered by children in falls off their bike at home included?
    https://twitter.com/Cyclistie/status/958280148876488705

I think you'd assume at first it's people injured in a collision and requiring at least an overnight stay, but it probably doesn't mean only that.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,510 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

tomasrojo wrote: »
    I think you'd assume at first it's people injured in a collision and requiring at least an overnight stay, but it probably doesn't mean only that.

I'm sure a large proportion are reckless MTBers trying to beat strava segments and hitting trees, if it's anything like round here ;):pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,832 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Danbo! wrote: »
    Oh god the comments, why did I read the comments:(

Don't go here either so: http://www.thejournal.ie/unannounced-cycle-lane-changes-cause-confusion-in-dublin-3823875-Jan2018/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

I'm sure a large proportion are reckless MTBers trying to beat strava segments and hitting trees, if it's anything like round here ;):pac::pac::pac:

Mixture of everything I find, mountain bikers not so common more road cyclists slipping on ice ( pelvis and collar bones), women not used to cleats ( same), holiday makers who fail to put wheels on properly after they have taken them out of the car and "reassembled" them. Falling on potholes or badly designed cycle lanes- like a 2 inch kerb from a cycle lane down onto road,
    Of course cars vs bikes , mostly cars turning into or out of side roads , one cyclist run over.

The estimation of injuries is probably grossly underestimated; the figures given on the above report are 2600 over 24 months, but one Dublin Hospital had over 500 in 12 months.

http://imj.ie/2715-2/

Given it represents approx 1% of attendances in SVH, one could guestimate national figures should be between 10-12000 per year.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Traumadoc wrote: »
    Mixture of everything I find, mountain bikers not so common more road cyclists slipping on ice ( pelvis and collar bones), women not used to cleats ( same), holiday makers who fail to put wheels on properly after they have taken them out of the car and "reassembled" them. Falling on potholes or badly designed cycle lanes- like a 2 inch kerb from a cycle lane down onto road,
    Of course cars vs bikes , mostly cars turning into or out of side roads , one cyclist run over.

The estimation of injuries is probably grossly underestimated; the figures given on the above report are 2600 over 24 months, but one Dublin Hospital had over 500 in 12 months.

http://imj.ie/2715-2/

Given it represents approx 1% of attendances in SVH, one could guestimate national figures should be between 10-12000 per year.

Ha I'm one of the statistics! Except they didn't sort me out in Vincents in the end, but that's another story.

Surprisingly (to me) high incidence of spinal injuries, yikes.

• Advertisement

They missed a great opportunity on prime time there, should have included bikes in that race.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

They missed a great opportunity on prime time there, should have included bikes in that race.

At least your man driving is at his phone all the time. Blending in with most motorists. :pac:

Edit: your man in the car travelled 2km in 24 minutes. Jesus wept.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,398 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

just watching that on plus one wonder why they didn't include a cyclist. Probably cos they would have won.

It's a bit lets laugh at the poor saps on public transport

25 minutes to go 2km in a car, my Granny walks faster than that and she's 90 :D

I'm sure there are a few individuals who would drive that every day to go 5km in that grid lock. They'd all have been better off walking or on a bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

I'm sure there are a few individuals who would drive that every day to go 5km in that grid lock. They'd all have been better off walking or on a bike.

Tune in next week folks when we pitch the private car against the common sloth.

https://goo.gl/images/3xdzrt

Actually reminds me, when I was living and working in Dublin after about 2 months I got so pissed off with the bus being late or not showing up I walked to work 6km away. Came out of work that 1st day walking and spotted Harry's Bikes across the road and the penny dropped :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭buffalo

How was it framed? Was it 'you'd be mad to drive in at this speed', or 'the poor people who have to put up with these speeds'?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭Macy0161

buffalo wrote: »
    How was it framed? Was it 'you'd be mad to drive in at this speed', or 'the poor people who have to put up with these speeds'?
    More the former, and did seem that the Luas person was delayed by having to get approval to film. McCullough did mention bike when they went back to the studio as a throw away comment, but not including a bike in the race was a massive miss.

Mind you, they would've framed it as a bad thing, as the cyclist would've got freezing standing around waiting for them on Lesson Street Bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Should have included cyclist and walking going by the distance and speeds involved

• Advertisement

I'm sure they'd have framed bike/waling as being cold and miserable but as I said to someone once who asked why I cycled into work on a rainy day, I'd rather be wet and moving than wet and standing around waiting for a bus.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement