Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism and cycling

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Death by misadventure usually means the verdict is that the death was primarily the result of a risk taken by the deceased.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

seems from the other witness statement that the driver was relatively blameless in this case but while not specifically cycling related the flippant nature of the Skype comment here really gets me.

so before she was on the N11 it was fine to be on a Skype video call on her phone?

I don't think anyone said it was fine to be on skype, but it had nothing to do with this court case. The issue here is a person was crossing a dual carriage way when she shouldn't of.

Now you could ask the driver what was she doing when making the turn, ie speed etc and due care!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Weepsie wrote: »
    Judge Martin Nolan. That did not surprise me.

From said judge. Probably shouldn't come into it. Facts, and only facts. The driver shouldn't have been on the road.

I overreacted in my blanket statement towards judges in Ireland in a separate thread, but I actually fully believe Mr. Nolan shouldn't be presiding over any court.

Too true. Life is cheap on the streets and in the courts these days.

Her comments make no sense. He caused the death by being on the wrong side of the road. His comments sound like bullsiht remorse He was not even supposed to be on the road. There is no if or but about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

I don't think anyone said it was fine to be on skype, but it had nothing to do with this court case.

she told her sister she had to hang up because she was joining the N11. not because she was driving (which she had been up to then), but because she was joining the N11!

she also said it in evidence during the court case, which I think means it had something to do with this case!

so you can infer from that whatever you like, I just read it as it was written.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Grassey wrote: »
    I had to look up "The jury returned a verdict of misadventure."

How could a jury come back with that - how is driving, on a skype call, not being aware of surroundings, not using a hands free kit not negligence?

It defies belief doesn't it? The footbridge on that road is a total PITA to use, I'm fit and healthy and it would leave me out of breath! I don't doubt that she never saw the 82 year old until it was too late though - because she wasn't bloody looking :(. I've served on jury's before and have had to find someone not guilty even though I wasn't happy about it - the law is an ass so I wouldn't blame the jury necessarily. The judge on the other hand....no doubt the legal advice was that if she wasn't on the call at the time of the accident it wasn't relevant or some such rubbish.

• Advertisement

It defies belief doesn't it? The footbridge on that road is a total PITA to use, I'm fit and healthy and it would leave me out of breath! I don't doubt that she never saw the 82 year old until it was too late though - because she wasn't bloody looking :(. I've served on jury's before and have had to find someone not guilty even though I wasn't happy about it - the law is an ass so I wouldn't blame the jury necessarily. The judge on the other hand....no doubt the legal advice was that if she wasn't on the call at the time of the accident it wasn't relevant or some such rubbish.

She probably wasn't looking but then again either was the person crossing the road. This was a terrible accident

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Prime time will be covering "cyclists vs drivers" on Tuesday.

axer wrote: »

/readies popcorn :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

I submitted some videos from my rear facing camera, few close passes / usual b0lloxology so be interesting to see if any of it gets used

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

axer wrote: »
    That should be "bicycles vs cars" rather than "cyclists vs drivers".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Either way, it's bound to induce an immediate sea change in attitudes all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

It should be but it was presented as being about cyclists think drivers don't... something or other and drivers think cyclists don't follow the rules of the road or whatever. Looks like it will be another divisive piece.

It will just be another shouting match. Both sides can't talk properly to each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

It will just be another shouting match. Both sides can't talk properly to each other.

It's because of the headphones

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I wouldn't hold out too much hope. What you have to remember is that reasonable people saying reasonable things rarely makes for good TV or radio.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

did i hear that their 'car vs bus vs luas' race across dublin didn't allow for the fact that on the luas, they started the clock *before* they secured permission to film?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

did i hear that their 'car vs bus vs luas' race across dublin didn't allow for the fact that on the luas, they started the clock *before* they secured permission to film?

yes, she missed the first Luas while she secured permission and had to wait (I think) 13 mins for the next one.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The entire point of the piece was to prove that the changes which had been made to college green were bad for cars, rather than take an impartial look at it.

Someone with clout in RTE has an axe to grind about Dublin City Council's agenda to force private traffic out of the city centre and wanted to make a song and dance about it.

Everyone knows that walking or cycling would wipe the floor with driving in the city centre, but because that's a point in favour of DCC's agenda, the person who made the piece was never going to include those modes.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Reminds me of that Top Gear episode where the had to apologise to Nissan afterwards.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/top-gear/8676473/Nissan-hits-back-at-Top-Gear.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

RTÉ people are important, too important for little people issues like public transport or cycling or walking. They need to be able to drive their cars and park at their workplace.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

CramCycle wrote: »
    Reminds me of that Top Gear episode where the had to apologise to Nissan afterwards.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/top-gear/8676473/Nissan-hits-back-at-Top-Gear.html
    they've always hated electric and hybrid cars, till mclaren made one. they had to stop hating them then, as mclaren are british.

they always were economical with the truth - for example, they'd deliberately test electric cars in scenarios they're simply not designed for - such as racing a prius around a track with a bmw m3.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭Macy0161

RTÉ people are important, too important for little people issues like public transport or cycling or walking. They need to be able to drive their cars and park at their workplace.
    tbh, I doubt it's that. It's probably more about there no story in walking, cycling or luas being quicker than luas. It wouldn't generate the text traffic, follow on Joe Duffy piece, clickbait on the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Looks like Dublin Cycle Campaign are going to recreate 'the race' calling on all those see. Sense trial users.

https://seesense.cc/blogs/hub/its-official-cycling-is-the-fastest-way-to-get-around-dublin-city-centre

23 mins... half the speed of a car!

nope, twice the speed of a car!

nope, twice the speed of a car!

Oh the mortification 😂😂

I originally typed half the time!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,232 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I reckon some people would almost be as quick as the bike on foot, albeit a lot sweatier. Although it's not very practical to run such a commute twice a day it does show how slow the city is by motorised transport. How realistic a commute is it though? Not many would drive such a short commute from around or near that starting point (although I did have a colleague who once did), and that 5k may be the closing stage of a 20k commute from the outer suburbs.

Hurrache wrote: »
    I reckon some people would almost be as quick as the bike on foot, albeit a lot sweatier. Although it's not very practical to run such a commute twice a day it does show how slow the city is by motorised transport. How realistic a commute is it though? Not many would drive such a short commute from around or near that starting point (although I did have a colleague who once did), and that 5k may be the closing stage of a 20k commute from the outer suburbs.

My brother in law used to run from Sandyford into Fitzwilliam square every day. Far quicker than a car he claimed. He did win medals at European level though so maybe not for everyone.

The woman beside me in work drives 780m (yes I measured it) to work, or 250m to the shops because she has a local residents permit and can park where she likes... So I wouldn't doubt that there are many many more people like that who would commute less than the 4.4km in that race.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

• Advertisement

The woman beside me in work drives 780m (yes I measured it) to work, or 250m to the shops because she has a local residents permit and can park where she likes... So I wouldn't doubt that there are many many more people like that who would commute less than the 4.4km in that race.

When I lived in Clonskeagh, most of my neighbours would commute by car and the majority were under 4km, several were 1km on the button.

A 4km walk is a decent enough walk though, for alot of people that is not far off an hour. This said the bike would be about 15minutes for most of them, a car about 20minutes. Only one of my neighbours cycled, he worked the furthest away out of all of us.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement