Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism and cycling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭buffalo

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Anyone see the Prime Time piece on cycling? Some of the footage taken by cyclists whilst being passed close was pretty scary stuff. Im glad they didnt bleep out the cursing of the cyclists either.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057841216

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Piece on Newstalk Breakfast about the MPDL but it was preceded by a 1:2 between Williams and Coleman that agitated Coleman.

Williams read a tweet asking is insurance valid when a motorist "has to cross" a continuous white line, to which Williams replied interesting though.

Coleman, and you could hear the frustration in his voice, said that it wasn't. One shouldn't cross a continuous white line and that motorists have an attitude of must get in ahead that's causing the danger.

Then Williams resorted to slagging, as usual.

The piece about the MPDL was good but not discussed by the two in the studio, they just read out some tweets.

1. Why isnt there a law making it illegal to cycle 2 abreast?
    2. Roads weren't designed for cyclists.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

amcalester wrote: »

I'd suggest that many irish roads were not designed for cars, or at the very least modern cars and many other private vehicles that are on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

amcalester wrote: »

Should point out to them that cyclists paid for the roads we are graciously sharing with them :D:D

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/bike-blog/2011/aug/15/cyclists-paved-way-for-roads
    The improvement of roads was first lobbied for – and paid for – by cycling organisations.

In the UK and the US, cyclists lobbied for better road surfaces for a full 30 years before motoring organisations did the same.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Weepsie wrote: »
    I'd suggest that many irish roads were not designed for cars, or at the very least modern cars and many other private vehicles that are on them.
    have you seen the new volvo XC90?
    it's incredibly safe, i believe. partly because if you crash into it, it'd be like a gnat hitting the windscreen on a container ship. i expected to see an anchor hanging out of the back.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Paul Williams is as poor a presenter as he was a journalist. I didn't listen to every show on Newstalk but it would have been my station of choice. Paul getting employment there achieved their goal of getting me to move the dial.

Ivan Yates, was just a sh1t stirrer, and would back down if shown up. Hook was just a parody of himself, akin to something of a cross between an Apres Match impression and a character from D'Unbelievables or the Savage eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

CramCycle wrote: »
    Paul Williams is as poor a presenter as he was a journalist. I didn't listen to every show on Newstalk but it would have been my station of choice. Paul getting employment there achieved their goal of getting me to move the dial.

Ivan Yates, was just a sh1t stirrer, and would back down if shown up. Hook was just a parody of himself, akin to something of a cross between an Apres Match impression and a character from D'Unbelievables or the Savage eye.

I switched it on this morning , the show is sponsored by a used car showroom.

How apt I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭randomname2005

Weepsie wrote: »

Or commercial vehicles too.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭the world wonders

'Prolific shoplifter' jailed after he was spotted carrying stolen bike still locked to piece of railing

A prolific shoplifter with nearly 200 convictions was caught with a stolen mountain bike after a garda spotted him walking down the road with the bike still locked to a piece of railing.
    Two and a half years seems high for non-violent crimes but reading the rest of the article he's probably better off in jail

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

This piece is ostensibly about bad driving by car owners, but the embedded video is full of poor cycling rather than driving.

Suprisingly though there is no "below the line" comment facility, the piece looks like it was intended to incite a load of comments criticising the cyclists in the video. presumably lots of comments = better advertising fees?

https://www.independent.ie/life/motoring/car-news/revealed-the-irish-city-where-drivers-are-the-worst-hypocrites-across-ireland-and-uk-survey-36623910.html

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the indo removed the comments functionality from the website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Fian wrote: »
    This piece is ostensibly about bad driving by car owners, but the embedded video is full of poor cycling rather than driving.

Suprisingly though there is no "below the line" comment facility, the piece looks like it was intended to incite a load of comments criticising the cyclists in the video. presumably lots of comments = better advertising fees?

https://www.independent.ie/life/motoring/car-news/revealed-the-irish-city-where-drivers-are-the-worst-hypocrites-across-ireland-and-uk-survey-36623910.html

The Indo have gotten rid of the comments facility completely, there used to be a banner saying that comments have been disabled due to Ireland's draconian libel laws.

I agree though, not sure what that video has to do with poor driving. I don't think the article even mentions cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

the Independent have culled all comments on articles, I assume it was becoming too much of a mess to moderate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Should I be shocked that driving under the speed limit is the 3rd most annoying thing drivers do in the city?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Fian wrote: »
    This piece is ostensibly about bad driving by car owners, but the embedded video is full of poor cycling rather than driving

Ah I see what Eddie did there alright. Undermines the sentiment of his own piece by attaching video of another issue.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

God I hate driving, yesterday, parked outside a shop, I just started moving, checking my sight lines, when a car came past at 80kmph, in a car park, off road, private property but the posted speed limit I think was 10kmph. Scared the sh1t out of me. Loads of kids getting off the LUAS nearby and walking through. He just eyeballed me as he went around the car park then, very weird. I honestly believe he wanted me to react and have fisticuffs. I just drove off.

Then at a roundabout, that I was already on, a car stopped as I was coming round but the car behind it decided to undertake and came on right in front of me, again, at speed. I wasn't speeding but thank the engineer who designed ABS.

I am starting to wonder am I the danger, it is just shocking. I never get that much hassle on my bike. I know I do it for work but I am seriously considering packing in the driving altogether.

Jez Conor Faughnan must be exhausted with all the air time and column inches he's been getting of late looking for the input of a non vested interest :rolleyes:

Jez Conor Faughnan must be exhausted with all the air time and column inches he's been getting of late looking for the input of a non vested interest :rolleyes:

to be fair he is pro cyclist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

Chiparus wrote: »
    Post-car?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

Not really, yes he cycles apparently but that's not the same thing. Conor is a superb P R person, and can sound sweetly reasonable. What 3 things woud make life better/safer for people who cyce or would like to cycle -

1. Segregated Infrastructure, eg Liffey Route:the space has to come from somewhere and Conor doesn't think it should be taken from cars

2. Slower speeds: Conor has been very critical of the rolling out of 30 kph limits in Dublin

3. MPD: dont know his views re this

Can't quote at the minute to prove my point but I've gleaned the above from hearing him numerous times on radio and believe he's only "pro" cyclist in so far as they don't get in the way of cars.

PS: Why does faling form his bke on the Luas track make E Ryan a twat? It has happened to numerous people, are they all twats?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

I dealt with conor in a professional capacity trough my job a few years ago. Met him socially a few times. He cycles to work everyday - a keen cyclist in fact.

“Sure, why would you drive in Dublin it’s a complete mess” was his retort over a few beers.

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    I dealt with conor in a professional capacity trough my job a few years ago. Met him socially a few times. He cycles to work everyday - a keen cyclist in fact.

“Sure, why would you drive in Dublin it’s a complete mess” was his retort over a few beers.

I was always cynical of his cycling credentials. Consider my mind changed there.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Eamon Ryan ( twat), fell off his bike.
    Delighted to hear it. That scumbag deliberately disobeyed plenty of the safety guidelines for election posters in my area, I saw near misses with kids & cars due to his disgusting tactics, putting his own publicity before public safety.

I emailed him and his cohorts about it, and the gardai and the council. All pretty much ignored it, the gardai at least did repsond, no action was taken even though I pointed out it was blatantly illegal & dangerous.

One person who did respond was Cuffe, who pretty much showed himself up to be a misogynist scumbag, who does not give a flying fcuk about the council or the ESBs safety guidelines, the the blatant misogyny was quite bizarre, possibly inadvertent which just shows his utter stupidity.

Worst of the worst as de burca. I informed her of her posters still littering the N11 and was there any concern about this? oh no, not in the slightest, that cnut threatened to report me to the gardai!! washing her filthy "green" hands of it all. Despicable cnut.

maybe i'm just getting old, but can we have less of the calling women by that term?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,232 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Very ironic given the number of times the poster used the word misogyny and its derivatives in the post. Why it was actually used is another story.

maybe i'm just getting old, but can we have less of the calling women by that term?

Maybe you are, and trying to see sexism where none is intended. I am pretty sure in previous posts I have branded both Cuffe & Ryan to be cnuts too.

You might be showing your own sexism, if I had called Cuffe & Ryan cnuts in my post but not de Burca would any remark have been passed about "not calling men that term" -I doubt it. She is still the worst of the 3 in my mind and so more deserving.

maybe i'm just getting old, but can we have less of use of the term BASTARD?

Hurrache wrote: »
    Very ironic given the number of times the poster used the word misogyny and its derivatives in the post.
    And how many times was that? can you give the number, or in your head does it sound more impressive to say "number of times"/

If I had used the word "prick" or "dickhead" and then used the term misandry I wonder if anybody like your-"oh so concerned"-self would have pointed it out.

Really is cringeworthy crap, so utterly false.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,232 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

2. Unless you want to claim fake news. I'm still wondering about your use of the words (that's 2 words) though in relation to the point you were trying to make.
    who does not give a flying fcuk about the council or the ESBs safety guidelines, the the blatant misogyny was quite bizarre,

It doesn't make sense in either context.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement