Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism and cycling

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,607 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

that's an interesting point about taking a photo of yourself on the bike, helps with actually proving ownership i guess?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    I dealt with conor in a professional capacity trough my job a few years ago. Met him socially a few times. He cycles to work everyday - a keen cyclist in fact.

That reminds me of my pacifist friend who works for Northtrop Grumann.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

PS: Why does faling form his bke on the Luas track make E Ryan a twat? It has happened to numerous people, are they all twats?

I am certifiably awesome(*), and I came a cropper on wet Luas tracks.

(*)Only this morning a woman pulled up behind me at the traffic lights on her bike and said I was a really good cyclist. Anticipation and considerate passing were where I really scored.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

tomasrojo wrote: »
    I am certifiably awesome(*), and I came a cropper on wet Luas tracks.

(*)Only this morning a woman pulled up behind me at the traffic lights on her bike and said I was a really good cyclist. Anticipation and considerate passing were where I really scored.

That's a nice bit of feedback to get.

Although, the first thought that would cross my mind is that she could be some kind of crazed Boardsie stalker superfan and that your pickled noggin would end up in a jar on a shelf beside her collection of similarly pickled noggins of the likes of Beasty, Lusk Doyle, CramCycle etc.. (In fact, given CramCycle's inputs to the Near Misses thread, I'm pretty sure someone *is* out to get him).

But that would just be my first thought. You may prefer to wallow in the nice compliment on its face value.

Just watch your back is all I'm saying...! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

check_six wrote: »
    (In fact, given CramCycle's inputs to the Near Misses thread, I'm pretty sure someone *is* out to get him).

maybe he's the Mannix Flynn of cyclists? :confused::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,936 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

In fact, given CramCycle's inputs to the Near Misses thread, I'm pretty sure someone *is* out to get him
    As someone said to me years ago, if you meet one a**hole a day, they are an a**hole. If you meet 20 a day, maybe you are the a**hole.

From this I can only deduce that there has been a 20fold increase in a**holes over the years. :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,607 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

and that was the beginning of a beautiful friendship.

Although, the first thought that would cross my mind is that she could be some kind of crazed Boardsie stalker superfan

442519.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 29,070 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Shane Ross on Matt Cooper now talking about MDPL and doing a good job!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

Shane Ross on Matt Cooper now talking about MDPL and doing a good job!

Yes thought he did very well, mentioned a MPDL would encourage cycling as well as saving lives, mentioned what might be inconvenience for the motorist (being delayed on a narrow road) might be a matter of life or death for the cyclist, said had decided to legislate even though RSA report came down on side of Education.

Only two somewhat negative points; 1. he didn't know enough to challenge Matt Cooper re cyclists breaking red ights, as in cyclists are not more ikely to be law-breakers than any other group of road-users and 2. re detection; he mentioned having seen the sensors used in US which is good but didnt mention that sometimes observation is enough and doesn't seem to be entertaining the idea of camera footage, maybe because Garda not keen?

Was disappointed with Matt Cooper in that he publicly supported MPDL via Times Ireland but still framed the discussion as drivers v cyclists,ie cyclists rlj etc. Is there journalist in the country who gets the point that just because cyclist A does X is no reason to object to measures which will help keep cyclists B,C,D,E,........W, X, Y, Z safer?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Shane Ross's election posters are likely still blowing around the N11. He was exploiting the loophole in the law that lets him put up what are clearly self advertising election style posters by putting the words "public meeting" on them. The posters were however also designed so that one section looked like a road sign, which is illegal.

These have since been replaced by Cormac Devlin election style posters, also abusing the "meeting" loophole, they also advertise his other FF cronies/accomplices. He put them up with similar completely inadequate flimsy cable ties. These were put up just this week when he was fully aware that a storm & heavy snow was coming. I imagine most are blowing around the N11 at the moment, into traffic or people. He has also put up illegal speedlimit signs in my area, not just authorised it, there were photos of him helping put them up.

Hopefully the local kids have requisitioned those and are using them as make shift sleds :pac:

Hopefully the local kids have requisitioned those and are using them as make shift sleds :pac:
    :) below was a post in bargain alerts which was about cheap snow shovels
    CeilingFly wrote: »
    Corribord pre-election signs beat any shovel.

If you're around knocklyon a fg councillor has littered loads of lampposts with great snow shovels - You'll be doing a good deed by taking this litter of the lampposts and taking it home with you.

Add some rope and its a dual shovel/sled.

And free!

Does this qualify as bargain of the month? :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

did anyone see this? #bloodyarrogantcyclists

presumably the Garda Twitter account will be all over this as they were the cyclist on the 'motorway'!

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

rubadub wrote: »
    He has also put up illegal speedlimit signs in my area, not just authorised it, there were photos of him helping put them up.

In what way were they illegal and were they taken down again?

Were the posters with the road sign the ones advertising his road safety meeting? Is it illegal to use a replica of a real sign so as to avoid confusion?

Cycling: room for manoeuvre
    Real progress in making the roads safer for cyclists will require greater responsibility by drivers
    https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/editorial/cycling-room-for-manoeuvre-1.3411716

it takes four paragraphs to just basically repeat the sub-head.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/mar/04/death-by-dangerous-cycling-offence-to-be-introduced-reports?CMP=fb_gu

You know, for all those cyclists that are going around killing people on the roads. I have to admire the U.K. establishment for its dislike of cycling at an official level. They do almost everything to demonise it and stymie it’s developmwnt as a basic, cheap and green way to travel.

all other things being equal, i have no objection to the creation of such an offence. it almost certainly does happen.
    but all other things are not equal. they're creating a law to cover maybe one or two potential cases a year.

And yet the UK still have no jaywalking law. In that UK case the pedestrian went onto the road and they said they were close to a traffic light. It would have been an illegal act over here.

• Advertisement

It's pretty absurd to make this law, as Alliston was prosecuted fairly adequately under existing laws. It's also probably not all that important, since it'll hardly ever be used. The really important thing is what other laws they consider as part of their review.

They were supposed to be reviewing laws and prosecution for dangerous driving, but that's all been forgotten because of one asshole.

The Guardian has amended its text concerning the collision. Originally they said he "sped" through east London. He wasn't even doing 30km/h, AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

The Guardian has amended its text concerning the collision. Originally they said he "sped" through east London. He wasn't even doing 30km/h, AFAIK.

Sure, but everyone knows that 30kph is the talismanic speed at which it is both impossible to drive so slowly and reckless to cycle so fast.

Such deaths are so unusual that the changes would be of tiny practical significance and would not be remotely likely to save a single life. It is unlikely that even Alliston would have been convicted of either proposed offence as the tragic death of Mrs Briggs related not to his manner of riding but to his breach of Construction and Use Regulations
    http://www.cyclist.co.uk/news/3372/cycling-and-the-law-martin-porter-qc-interview

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/circuit-court/cyclist-who-hit-car-emerging-from-driveway-loses-damages-claim-1.3415539?mode=amp

Cycling in the path then got caught by a car coming out of his driveway and tried to sue for €60k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/circuit-court/cyclist-who-hit-car-emerging-from-driveway-loses-damages-claim-1.3415539?mode=amp

Cycling in the path then got caught by a car coming out of his driveway and tried to sue for €60k.

Seems fair.

amcalester wrote: »
    Seems fair.

Yep. No issues with that. These incidents (according to the intelligentsia commenting on the story on the irish times Facebook page) are the reasons that motorists insurance policies are so high.

Yep. No issues with that. These incidents (according to the intelligentsia commenting on the story on the irish times Facebook page) are the reasons that motorists insurance policies are so high.

Similar case where the cyclist was awarded €60k, reduced to €36k due to contributory negligence.

http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/dublin-cyclist-gets-e36000-injury-claim-despite-cycling-on-footpath/

It’s the inconsistencies that I find most annoying, it just encourages chances to make a bogus claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

In that IT article, why is the successful defendant wearing a compo face whilst the loser is smiling?

Lumen wrote: »
    In that IT article, why is the successful defendant wearing a compo face whilst the loser is smiling?

I thought the exact same.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

amcalester wrote: »
    It’s the inconsistencies that I find most annoying, it just encourages chances to make a bogus claim.

Not every case is the same; it is the grey areas where people can argue. There is no money in black and white.

Why is it bogus, the accident happened?

If it was a 12 yr old on bike/skateboard a parent running with a buggy this case wouldn't have ran, it would have settled. The act of driving out gate is same in all cases yet the nature of victim will decide outcome

The primary reason he lost 100% was his own answer to final question under cross examination; yes it was my own fault!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement