Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism and cycling

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Attitudes against cyclists seem to have got even worse over that time.
    I would both agree and disagree with this statement. I think the overall percentage of motorists on the road who act in a negative manner towards cyclists has decreased. Yay. Positive. Alas, there are still a few either ignorant or dangerous drivers around. Alas even worse, there are now more, although still a tiny minority, who appear to actively seek to scare, annoy or actually hurt cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,071 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

CramCycle wrote: »
    I would both agree and disagree with this statement. I think the overall percentage of motorists on the road who act in a negative manner towards cyclists has decreased. Yay. Positive. Alas, there are still a few either ignorant or dangerous drivers around. Alas even worse, there are now more, although still a tiny minority, who appear to actively seek to scare, annoy or actually hurt cyclists.
    I was thinking more about the media. On the road, certainly the number of motorists on the phone is increasing.

I was thinking more about the media. On the road, certainly the number of motorists on the phone is increasing.
    Can't disagree with you there. I was thinking of the more clear cut intent vs no intent.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,608 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

usual routine tonight. had the in laws around with some of their friends (who are reasonable people) and as soon as cycling is mentioned, get the 'but cyclists can be...' spiel. being the host meant my ability to respond robustly was limited.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

I had two interesting interactions in work. One, a senior member of staff when seeing me arrive in my cycling gear, asked if I’d broken every red light on that way in. Was also at a social evening a few weeks back when a client of ours was insistent that all cyclists were ignorant cnuts (his words) and should be banned from the roads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    I had two interesting interactions in work. One, a senior member of staff when seeing me arrive in my cycling gear, asked if I’d broken every red light on that way in.
    "No, I think they're all still working. Dah-dum...tish!"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I had two interesting interactions in work. One, a senior member of staff when seeing me arrive in my cycling gear, asked if I’d broken every red light on that way in.

There's a lot wrong in that interaction, especially as the disparity in workplace power (presuming you're not a senior member yourself) means you can't say something appropriately cutting back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

usual routine tonight. had the in laws around with some of their friends (who are reasonable people) and as soon as cycling is mentioned, get the 'but cyclists can be...' spiel. being the host meant my ability to respond robustly was limited.

Being a Moderator, why not issue yellow cards or out right ban from the forum (i.e. house)
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Let them rant and rave, say nothing and smile. Once they've finished, ask them if they'd like a tour of the garage/shed and let the awkward silence ensue once they see the contents :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I had two interesting interactions in work. One, a senior member of staff when seeing me arrive in my cycling gear, asked if I’d broken every red light on that way in. Was also at a social evening a few weeks back when a client of ours was insistent that all cyclists were ignorant cnuts (his words) and should be banned from the roads.

A couple of our senior staff (a minority) cycle, but still get a lot of that. A colleague in another dept had a very, very serious accident when hit by a car, and I think it's seeped into the consciousness of staff that cyclists are in fact people.

• Advertisement

Lemming wrote: »
    Let them rant and rave, say nothing and smile. Once they've finished, ask them if they'd like a tour of the garage/shed and let the awkward silence ensue once they see the contents :pac:

Arrange that when they leave a bunch of people with a variety of bikes surround them, pointing and emitting an eerie shriek. When they turn to you for help, Donald Sutherland them.

sutherland.jpg

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/new-bicycle-storage-rules-for-apartments-not-enough-says-planner-1.3432956?mode=amp

Not much substance to this piece but I at least wasn't aware of plans to require developers to provide secure bike facilities in apartments.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

http://www.thejournal.ie/roads-death-boy-killed-3915249-Mar2018/
    GARDAÍ IN MEATH are investigating a fatal road traffic collision that left a teen dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭buffalo

i like to think of us as a mafia.
    cross us, and you'll find a headset in your bed.

Whose bed did you leave a headset in?

http://irishcycle.com/2018/03/21/south-dublin-quietway-meeting-cancelled-as-claim-cycling-lobby-planned-hijacking/
    A planned meeting today which was open to “all residents of Dublin 6” to discuss the proposed South Dublin Quietway is cancelled according to its organiser because it was feared that cyclists were going to hijack the event.

'oh no, people who disagree with me might come to my public meeting - time to cancel it!'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

buffalo wrote: »

http://irishcycle.com/2018/03/21/south-dublin-quietway-meeting-cancelled-as-claim-cycling-lobby-planned-hijacking/

'oh no, people who disagree with me might come to my public meeting - time to cancel it!'

The cynic in me would suggest that there was no such fear but by cancelling it and blaming it on cyclists the organizers are capitalizing on the (perceived) general disliking of cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

• Registered Users Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Thud

• Registered Users Posts: 10,232 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Ivan Yates going to have a piece about cyclists now, based on a text about cyclists he said he received yesterday. Top class journalism by the sounds of it, ably stepping into Hook's shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Hurrache wrote: »
    Ivan Yates going to have a piece about cyclists now, based on a text about cyclists he said he received yesterday. Top class journalism by the sounds of it, ably stepping into Hook's shoes.

the day after a young cyclist dies :confused: I really hope it's more balanced and reasoned than the usual nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Have to say Richie Oakley did well, tryed to steer Ivan Yates away from his usual daft pontifications on the matter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Have to say Richie Oakley did well, tryed to steer Ivan Yates away from his usual daft pontifications on the matter.

I heard Richie on Newstalk before, but on Breakfast with Paul Williams, and he was great at not letting the conversation divert from what he was there to discuss.

That time it was the MPDL.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,071 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

buffalo wrote: »

Did I read it correctly and see that the public meeting was to be held in somebody's front room? Only in Dublin 6 I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

Did I read it correctly and see that the public meeting was to be held in somebody's front room? Only in Dublin 6 I guess.

No, the Mageough home is a Retirement Home! Presume they have a Community Hall or something they hire out. Now if they had a trishaw for residents, they might come on board with the Quietway and have Cowper Road residents trained as volunteers!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

When you hear one of the speakers being introduced as a "cycling zealot" and the other as "the voice of reason", hopes for an intelligent balanced discourse on the subject of cycling don't get too high....

Then again, generating intelligent balanced discourse is not something Ivan Yates has much ability for, and he would rather go the lowest common denominator trolling route.

Yates reminds me of one of those slightly creepy guys your dad was friendly with in college and somehow can't shake off in later life.

On the positive side, I don't imagine him sitting at home at night putting dictator stickers in his Panini album, like Hook.

I didn't hear all of it but Henry McKean went out with a Deliveroo cyclist. About as balanced a discussion on cycling in Dublin as you'll get from Newstalk.

I think he points out everyone parked in the cycling lane and turns to the delivery guy and asks him is it always like this with people parked in the cycle lane and the horrendous potholes, and he says yes. Sin e.

Anytime I hear him, HMcK does seem to actually listen to what the other person is saying. And give them plenty of time to say it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,845 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Some terrible news, hope the woman recovers...

Ignore the comments section, the onslaught will be Brutal...

http://www.thejournal.ie/woman-critical-collision-cyclist-3920019-Mar2018/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭QueensGael

The poor woman, sounds very serious if she was transferred to Beaumont, I hope she recovers

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement