Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism and cycling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

QueensGael wrote: »
    The poor woman, sounds very serious if she was transferred to Beaumont, I hope she recovers

The poor woman has died. Very sad.

splinter65 wrote: »
    The poor woman has died. Very sad.

Sorry that’s just been corrected. Not dead at all. Hopefully she’ll pull through.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

splinter65 wrote: »
    Sorry that’s just been corrected. Not dead at all. Hopefully she’ll pull through.

Hopefully she does recover alright.

Hopefully as well whatever horrible individual it was that decided to cycle off after hitting someone is tracked down and has the book thrown at them. It's one of the lowest things someone can do, regardless of who was at fault and whether you were cycling/driving or whatever.

Amirani wrote: »

Hopefully as well whatever horrible individual it was that decided to cycle off after hitting someone is tracked down and has the book thrown at them. It's one of the lowest things someone can do, regardless of who was at fault and whether you were cycling/driving or whatever.

Heartless.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭buffalo

Did they leave the scene? I haven't seen mention of that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Do you have a link to an article claiming they hit and run?

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Budawanny

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Do you have a link to an article claiming they hit and run?

I don't see any mention of hit and run anywhere.

Its probably an assumption made of the appeal for information from the guards.
    ( which they always do one way or another)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Some terrible news, hope the woman recovers...

Ignore the comments section, the onslaught will be Brutal...

http://www.thejournal.ie/woman-critical-collision-cyclist-3920019-Mar2018/

comments actually far more reasonable than I expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Duckjob wrote: »
    When you hear one of the speakers being introduced as a "cycling zealot" and the other as "the voice of reason", hopes for an intelligent balanced discourse on the subject of cycling don't get too high....

Then again, generating intelligent balanced discourse is not something Ivan Yates has much ability for, and he would rather go the lowest common denominator trolling route.

The guy introduced as a cycling zealot was from the institute of advanced motoring!!

Richie kept the conversation on target despite little hook trying his best to get a rise

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,612 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yeah, that did kinda surprise me. it was about 10 comments before someone mentioned insurance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 JagoMoon

And Road Tax. Follow by Road Tax???

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I thought they were as bad as usual. They had said
    The pedestrian in her 40s was struck by the cyclist as she attempted to cross the road.
    which did make it sound like she just crossed the road, not that it was at a pedestrian crossing and that the cyclist was not on the footpath. So I was wondering how they come out with reasonable rants.

one comment
    the cyclist is at fault here or to blame

I have had foreign students jump out at me at bus stops at the very last second, seems to be a game to the little shitehawks. But if I hit them some would say I am the only one to blame.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

rubadub wrote: »
    I have had foreign students jump out at me at bus stops at the very last second, seems to be a came to the little shitehawks. But if I hit them some would say I am the only one to blame.

I have had people walk into me while I was stopped at a red light, not everything is as clear cut as it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

I thought they were as bad as usual. They had said

which did make it sound like she just crossed the road, not that it was at a pedestrian crossing and that the cyclist was not on the footpath. So I was wondering how they come out with reasonable rants.

one comment

I have had foreign students jump out at me at bus stops at the very last second, seems to be a game to the little shitehawks. But if I hit them some would say I am the only one to blame.

Sadly people will always do stupid things. No matter what speed your going at car/bike, you can't always stop in time.

Who was at fault for this accident we never know, it is like all accidents, we cover them up instead of publishing what happen so we can learn from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,246 ✭✭✭plodder

I hope the lady recovers fully and the gardai establish exactly what happened.
    rubadub wrote:
    I have had foreign students jump out at me at bus stops at the very last second..
    Foreign students can be dynamite. Being a pedestrian in a foreign country can be more dangerous than driving in my experience as your instinct is to look the wrong way when stepping on to the road. I've nearly done it myself abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,537 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Some terrible news, hope the woman recovers...

Ignore the comments section, the onslaught will be Brutal...

http://www.thejournal.ie/woman-critical-collision-cyclist-3920019-Mar2018/
    The indo has this story.

The Indo has these story, if the journal publish it, they won’t get 130+ comments or rants.
    Two mothers - one a teacher, one a veterinary worker - named locally as the pedestrian victims in horror crash

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/two-mothers-one-a-teacher-one-a-veterinary-worker-named-locally-as-the-pedestrian-victims-in-horror-crash-36736915.html

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

plodder wrote: »
    I hope the lady recovers fully and the gardai establish exactly what happened.

Foreign students can be dynamite. Being a pedestrian in a foreign country can be more dangerous than driving in my experience as your instinct is to look the wrong way when stepping on to the road. I've nearly done it myself abroad.
    this was no mistake though, its like a game of chicken. They know well you are coming along, you can see they are well aware you are coming, so are not expecting any accidental "foot falling off the kerb" type accident, then at the last second they leap out, legs spread, arms outstretched in the air, then jump back out of your way.

But apparently some people would put absolutely no blame on that student if I hit them.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

this was no mistake though, its like a game of chicken. They know well you are coming along, you can see they are well aware you are coming, so are not expecting any accidental "foot falling off the kerb" type accident, then at the last second they leap out, legs spread, arms outstretched in the air, then jump back out of your way.

But apparently some people would put absolutely no blame on that student if I hit them.

To be honest **** like that would almost be worth an assault charge. I'd even post the video afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,232 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Headline is interesting, "Women seriously injured after being struck by cyclist".

When it's a car/cyclist accident it's usually along the lines of "Cyclist in collision with car..", never, or very rarely, Cyclist struck by car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Is it not a case that when a pedestrian is involved it's generally 'struck' regardless of type of vehicle involved. And for vehicles its collision between

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Hurrache wrote:
    Headline is interesting, "Women seriously injured after being struck by cyclist".

When it's a car/cyclist accident it's usually along the lines of "Cyclist in collision with car..", never, or very rarely, Cyclist struck by car.
    Another thing that's been bothering me about the reporting of this is no mention of the condition of the cyclist. When it's a cyclist and a vehicle, we always here that the driver was uninjured.

This is always written off as just how it's reported, but then we have this case and different road users a treated differently. Again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

A cyclist always strikes someone and the pitchfork and torch brigade normally assume the cyclist is at fault. In saying that, this sounds serious and hopefully the woman recovers. Scummy thing to cycle off and leave someone.

The comments are also interesting in all media outlets where people can comment. Expect road tax, insurance, hi vis, cyclisting single file as solution to these issues. And lots of them - a car can strike a pedestrian and there’s barely an eye batted. The recent case where a car barrel rolled down Adelaide Rd barely raised a comment.

Anyway, that’s Joe Duffy and Ivan Yates shows sorted for Monday. I’d say they’ll hardly sleep all weekend with ex itement.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,232 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Scummy thing to cycle off and leave someone.

Isn't that still just an assumption people are jumping to?

Still no story about the car that killed two pedestrians. Says it all

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

ted1 wrote: »

That was in the online indo today. Not really related to this though...clear hit and run v a story that is so far very vague on detail. It’s unlikely the cyclist did not fall, so it’s interesting their ‘status’ is not reported. As Macy said, cyclist had incident with a motor vehicle alway says ...’...driver status (unhurt normally)....’

Hopefully the woman makes a full recovery. I had a close one today on Camden St. Pedestrian ran out in front of me from behind a lorry. Luckily I was out about a metre and seen her. I still skidded. Split second earlier and I may have hit her and it might be her or me making the news for the wrong reasons! On such margins things can swing.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

According to the Garda press office, the cyclist stayed at the collision location. I asked them because I spotted so many people claiming it was a hit and run (I hadn’t even read boards before asking).

I have sense found that the cyclist was also treated by an ambulance crew — but I haven’t yet found more on that.

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    ted1 wrote: »

That was in the online indo today. Not really related to this though...clear hit and run v a story that is so far very vague on detail. It’s unlikely the cyclist did not fall, so it’s interesting their ‘status’ is not reported. As Macy said, cyclist had incident with a motor vehicle alway says ...’...driver status (unhurt normally)....’

Hopefully the woman makes a full recovery. I had a close one today on Camden St. Pedestrian ran out in front of me from behind a lorry. Luckily I was out about a metre and seen her. I still skidded. Split second earlier and I may have hit her and it might be her or me making the news for the wrong reasons! On such margins things can swing.

What was a hit and run?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Hurrache wrote: »
    Isn't that still just an assumption people are jumping to?

I must admit I made a school boy error by reading some of the comments first on this story. You’d swear the cyclist had eaten a small child as well with the pitch fork and torches out in force. Apparently, “road tax” would have stopped this. Whoever knew.

There’s no mention of hit and run, or if either the cyclist or pedestrian was negligent. Tragic case and hope the lady makes a full recovery - being in Beaumont would suggest head injuries are pretty serious.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I suppose the reason this has made the news is because she is in critical condition. I'm sure pedestrian / cyclist collisions are happening every day...we all know some cyclists will plough right through red lights and pedestrian lights (just like cars often do) and we all know pedestrians run / walk right out in front of bikes. The bastards feckin stroll out in front of me all the time, it's like they don't even see a bike coming.
    Cyclist will be pretty devastated right now too. Hopefully pedestrian pulls through without any long term issues.

edit: from twitter one of the replies says pedestrian walked out.
    https://twitter.com/PaulFedayn/status/976803634783637506

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,612 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

shane ross doesn't come out well from this article:
    Quixotic Shane Ross semi-detached from rest of Government
    If half the things his civil servants and his ministerial colleagues say are true, it has been a very unhappy one.
    “He’s not a Minister in the conventional sense of the word,” says one senior civil servant. “He doesn’t sit at his desk, read briefs, make decisions.”
    “He has no interest in his brief at all,” says another.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/pat-leahy-quixotic-shane-ross-semi-detached-from-rest-of-government-1.3437900

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement