Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism and cycling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

He's more interested in other Ministers departments than his own

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

ted1 wrote: »
    What was a hit and run?

The incident you brought up that is not relevant to cycling or the cyclist/pedestrian incident....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Borderfox wrote: »
    He's more interested in other Ministers departments than his own

He hasn't turned out to be as bad in an active sense as he first appeared (e.g. the return to mandatory cycletrack use was abandoned, the mandatory hiviz for pedestrians that Troy tried to attach like a remora onto the Minimum Passing Distance initiative was rejected), but he neglected walking and cycling very, very badly.

Tourism and Sport being bundled in with Transport is pretty poor practice anyway, but he really seemed to regard Transport as the minor branch in that bundle, except for the drink-driving legislation and photo ops on the Green Line to bank for the next election.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,232 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

shane ross doesn't come out well from this article:
    Quixotic Shane Ross semi-detached from rest of Government

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/pat-leahy-quixotic-shane-ross-semi-detached-from-rest-of-government-1.3437900

He's the dictionary definition of a hurler from the ditch. Such a mouth on him when in opposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

edit: from twitter one of the replies says pedestrian walked out.
    https://twitter.com/PaulFedayn/status/976803634783637506
    As there was no mention of the cyclist breaking a red light I wonder if the pedestrian was illegally breaking a red light.

But I reckon nothing about this will be mentioned, and many will remain ignorant of the fact that we even have "jaywalking" laws here.

I hate any busy red lights because of this, if there are 2 or more people at a pedestrian crossing it is like some of them think they have the right to break a red light if there is "only a single bike" coming towards them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

tomasrojo wrote: »
    He hasn't turned out to be as bad in an active sense as he first appeared (e.g. the return to mandatory cycletrack use was abandoned, the mandatory hiviz for pedestrians that Troy tried to attach like a remora onto the Minimum Passing Distance initiative was rejected), but he neglected walking and cycling very, very badly.

Problem is though that afaik both of those need him to sign the relevant statutory instrument into law and he has signed neither yet. Ok, the MPDL was only announced a month ago but he has linked it to the Garda getting the enforcement sensors so heaven knows when that will happen. He's dragging his feet on the mandatory use and at this stage with an election likely within the next year someone needs to put the skids under him. Last thing we need is for yet another Minister for Transport to put his/her oar in.

RE MPD I'm in two minds re wisdom of putting him under pressure in public to sign SI. Thing is w ith media coverage when it was announced and current RSA ad campaign lots of drivers seem to think MPD is already law and are acting accordingly so I wouldn't like to disabuse them of that idea!

Problem is though that afaik both of those need him to sign the relevant statutory instrument into law and he has signed neither yet. Ok, the MPDL was only announced a month ago but he has linked it to the Garda getting the enforcement sensors so heaven knows when that will happen. He's dragging his feet on the mandatory use and at this stage with an election likely within the next year someone needs to put the skids under him. Last thing we need is for yet another Minister for Transport to put his/her oar in.

The thing about the mandatory use is, as it stands, given that he's now said on record that Varadkar's intention when he was in charge of Transport was to make cycletracks non-compulsory to use, that even without a new SI they are non-compulsory to use. In the event of ambiguity in wording, the intention of the minister is referred to. I don't think a new SI is needed at all.

If Robert Troy becomes minister for Transport, we're in big trouble though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,612 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

Breaking a red light is always against the law, however there are plenty of circumstances where it is perfectly legal to park in a cycle lane. Whether that is right or wrong is another issue, but the red light issue is Black and White, so i't good to see enforcement of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Steoller

Poor 'I bike Dublin' getting short shift there. The piece makes it sound like they had one demo against cycle lane parking all year, when they were out every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Time wrote: »
    Breaking a red light is always against the law, however there are plenty of circumstances where it is perfectly legal to park in a cycle lane. Whether that is right or wrong is another issue, but the red light issue is Black and White, so i't good to see enforcement of it.

The article is focused on Dublin, most solid white cycle lanes in the city are co-lo with Clearways for the same hours making it always a violation to park there.

Unfortunately even the clearway directly opposite a garda station is a fine place to park without a chance of receiving an FCPN.

It's illegal to park in ANY cycle track bordered by an unbroken white line. That's a black-and-white issue, just like red-light breaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Breaking a red light is always against the law, however there are plenty of circumstances where it is perfectly legal to park in a cycle lane.
    I don't think "cycle lanes" exist in Irish law, there are "cycle tracks" and "cycleways" which have different rules.

I am not sure about (allegedly) broken down cars either.

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

Not if the cycle lane has certain hours of operation, there are also allowances for passengers alighting etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

there are also allowances for passengers alighting etc...

Can you elaborate on the source for this? First I've heard of it.

The only 'alighting passengers' law I am aware of is where a cyclist cannot overtake a car on the left where car is stationary for the purpose of allowing a passenger to alight or board the vehicle, or is stationary for the purposes of loading or unloading.
    (Part 3 of http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2012/si/332/made/en/print )

But, that doesn't mean a car can just lamp themselves up into a lane to unload or pick up/drop off passengers.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Not if the cycle lane has certain hours of operation, there are also allowances for passengers alighting etc...

A single yellow lane and a cycle lane are totally different things.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Grassey wrote: »
    But, that doesn't mean a car can just lamp themselves up into a lane to unload or pick up/drop off passengers.

You're correct and some legislation explicitly says they cannot do this in some designated lanes, or even stop.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Steoller wrote: »
    Poor 'I bike Dublin' getting short shift there. The piece makes it sound like they had one demo against cycle lane parking all year, when they were out every week.

That is the gospel according to The Irish Times. If it wasn’t in the paper of record, it didn’t happen. ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,612 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

Speaking of tenuous links to cycling:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/plan-to-close-merrion-gates-may-be-deferred-1.3450663

This article gives the distinct impression that the plan to close the merrion gates & CPO 35 properties is mainly for the purpose of installing a cycle path, rather than alleviating traffic and dart delays.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Doctor Bob

Fian wrote: »

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/plan-to-close-merrion-gates-may-be-deferred-1.3450663

This article gives the distinct impression that the plan to close the merrion gates & CPO 35 properties is mainly for the purpose of installing a cycle path, rather than alleviating traffic and dart delays.

Is that not the S2S Southside/East Coast Trail that's being referred to? Hardly a tenuous link to cycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

Quite a strong link to NIMBYISM.

not sure of the link, in that nimby usually refers to planning issues? or were you referring to the merrion gate story?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Fian wrote: »

Someone will have to Talk to Joe about the harm the All Powerful Cycling Lobby plan to do to poor rale Dubliners....:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

have you seen the photos of all the VWs which were returned by their owners, all parked up?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

not specifically cycling related but I found this an interesting tale of the impact that a fatal RTC can have on the motorist involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

and Justice Charleton involving cyclists in the disclosures tribunal :rolleyes:

https://twitter.com/SeanMJourno/status/983643837619982336

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Kop Idol

Today's Indo > We need to see others as people, not stereotypes
    In the motoring section, an attempt at humanizing all road users but cyclists in particular.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement