Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism and cycling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Is it not 80€ for the latter?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    This definitely doesn't count as journalism... a cyclist hate page on FB: https://www.facebook.com/Dublin-Cyclists-Do-What-They-Want-170222143696843/

Imagine your life being so miserable you feel compelled to make a fb page about cyclists breaking the rules of the road.

Poor fella should take up a more exciting hobby like watching the grass grow or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

ED E wrote: »
    Is it not 80€ for the latter?

No, still a very affordable €60.

But sure it’s only 23x more likely you’ll have a crash when using one.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭QueensGael

Danny Healy-Rae defending the rights of cyclists on Newstalk now
    (but only in the context of cutting back ditches so you can stagger/wobble home from the pub, in his version of road safety :rolleyes:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

QueensGael wrote: »
    Danny Healy-Rae defending the rights of drunk drivers on Newstalk now

Surely that's what you meant?

• Advertisement

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Surely that's what you meant?

He was on a roll with all manner of topics:

* slicing up baby birds, nesting in hedgerows
    * not knowing what a filibuster is, being but a simple politician
    * the poor chuldurren who can't be taken to the schoolhouse by car when the parent has been disqualified for drink driving
    * tis alright for ye above in Dubbalin, with all the jobs and trams and roller-skates ye have
    * the indignation of being called a terrorist by Lord Ross, defending himself in the way the Bird Kelly insisted he wasn't an informer :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭buffalo

QueensGael wrote: »
    * the poor chuldurren who can't be taken to the schoolhouse by car when the parent has been disqualified for drink driving

Do they not still walk the twenty mile barefoot through the snow?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Imagine your life being so miserable you feel compelled to make a fb page about cyclists breaking the rules of the road.

Poor fella should take up a more exciting hobby like watching the grass grow or something.
    Most of his videos are made on a mobile phone while driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Chiparus wrote: »
    Most of his videos are made on a mobile phone while driving.

Check out the RSA Facebook page. Recent post from some brain dead complaining about cyclists - “says it all” is the caption. Looks like the cyclist is avoiding the cycle lane due to a lot of lying water (looks is was raining) and there’s also traffic cones opposite. Anyway, this brain dead was happy to post this photo from the cab of a HGV. Five likes as well - presumably equally as brain dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,232 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Coming up on Pat Kenny, ignoring the rules of the road is a matter of life and death in London, he finds out why. Sigh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,683 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Hurrache wrote: »
    Coming up on Pat Kenny, ignoring the rules of the road is a matter of life and death in London, he finds out way. Sigh.

Thank you Irish Times for starting this fair and balanced debate:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Kav0777

I heard them discussing this segment at the end of the breakfast show, Paul Williams had quite the take on it:

We have to do something about these cyclists breaking the law as there were "36 cyclists killed on our roads over ...er... the last number of periods".

and now for the insightful text messages

Red lights and footpaths in 3,2,1...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Kav0777 wrote: »
    I heard them discussing this segment at the end of the breakfast show, Paul Williams had quite the take on it:
    We have to do something about these cyclists breaking the law as there were "36 cyclists killed on our roads over ...er... the last number of periods".

Paul Williams, known cyclist hater, not as bad as Hook of course, he wishes he was that controversial!

William's solution would most likely be to make cycling on roads illegal!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Internet Friend

Just caught the end of a discussion on cycling infrastructure there on News Talk. Main point that I caught was the comparison between other countries annual spend on infrastructure (20% was the example given) -vs- Ours (2%). Presenter very quickly wrapped up the discussion as soon as that point was made.

Yeah but if we brought in “road tax” for cyclists, all these problems would magically go away

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭rodneyTrotter.

Don’t Newstalk love just bringing up “drivers v cyclists “ . I listened to most of it today . Feels like every couple of days they bring it up .
    Ciara Kelly was told by her guest that dayglow and Helmets wouldn’t save you from getting crushed by a truck . Delighted she made that point . Not that she seemed to take on the guests point of view .
    She couldn’t wait to read out the usual guff about red light breaking etc to finish up.

Why is it always thought that cyclists don’t drive or pay tax . Why are we all pigeonholed as red light breaking city centre cyclists .

I drive all day and all I see is cars breaking lights , crash’s on the m50 daily, traffic jams and people on phones driving .

Why is it always thought that cyclists don’t drive or pay tax . Why are we all pigeonholed as red light breaking city centre cyclists .

I drive all day and all I see is cars breaking lights , crash’s on the m50 daily, traffic jams and people on phones driving .

At the end of the day ireland is still overwhelmingly a car dominated and car dependent country. The mighty car has been engrained so much I irish group think that people can’t inagine life without it. And generally drivers can do no wrong - it’s always the cyclists or pedestrians fault. I had a driver le tyre me about how I should be more responsible for my own road safety when he overtook me and left hooked me across a cycling lane a few months ago. That’s the general attitude out there.

As noted by me an others here on other threads, follow the comments in social media when cycling comes up. Mass hysteria. Helmets, insurance, hi vis, “road tax”, etc. Very little commentary on slowing down, leave earlier, stop putting people needlessly at risk.

Theres been two hit and runs this week reported in the media - one in west Dublin, 3 people critically injured when a car mounted a path. A young boy also hurt in a hit and run in Kerry. Neither of these stories raised barely a comment in the media. Says it all, it’s like it’s just accepted these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Don’t Newstalk love just bringing up “drivers v cyclists “ . I listened to most of it today . Feels like every couple of days they bring it up .
    Ciara Kelly was told by her guest that dayglow and Helmets wouldn’t save you from getting crushed by a truck . Delighted she made that point . Not that she seemed to take on the guests point of view .
    She couldn’t wait to read out the usual guff about red light breaking etc to finish up.

You can always be assured of tuning into a fair and well-reasoned debate on cyclist safety on Newstalk.... sponsored by VOLVO

• Registered Users Posts: 29,075 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Doc Ciara was on today about the obesity crisis and sugar tax. And her own station plays a significant role in attacking cycling - probably the single biggest missed opportunity to address our obesity and other health crisis's.

https://twitter.com/Byclemore/status/991472271926611968

• Advertisement

Duckjob wrote: »
    You can always be assured of tuning into a fair and well-reasoned debate on cyclist safety on Newstalk.... sponsored by VOLVO

Usually held at peak commuting time as well - realise this is a bank holiday. It’ll usually grate in the disgruntled motorists who’s stuck in a 20% full vehicle on a journey that can more often than not be done by cycling, using public transport or (gasp!) walking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Being kind, you could say that they are simply serving their target market - the frazzled commuter-rat motorist.

I just would appreciate their honesty if they acknowledged that due to their obvious bias, they're not going to be in a position to add anything useful to the cyclist safety discussion. That would be somewhat refreshing.

However, instead of honesty we get the regular "debates" where free reign is given to all the same ridiculous old chestnuts - red light breaking, hi-viz, helmets, "road tax" (tm), compulsory licencing and insurance etc. Its like a worn-old record going around and around.....

• Registered Users Posts: 29,075 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Duckjob wrote: »
    Being kind, you could say that they are simply serving their target market - the frazzled commuter-rat motorist.

They have a potentially huge market in public transport users, and some cyclists too, but they don't really seem to have noticed that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,615 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i would bet my bottom dollar that 95%+ of gardai get to work in cars and their sympathy would be skewed in that direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

‘Menace to society’ drunk driver jailed after hobbling away from crash

sounds like the cyclist was very lucky to come off so lightly.

5 years, have to say I had a raised brow given the judge involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,657 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Who was the judge (article is behind paywall)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,615 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

martin nolan.

just heard an ad on the radio for tomorrow's irish times: "we meet people who have lost family members while cycling; the healthy pasttime which is fraught with danger'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

i would bet my bottom dollar that 95%+ of gardai get to work in cars and their sympathy would be skewed in that direction.

Right: Rathfarnham Station
    Left: Personal cars of Rathfarnham Gardai

v1G8DQQ.jpg

Footpath is in bits from being torn up by them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement