Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism and cycling

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I don't suppose there is any chance that they would try making the existing bus lanes work by clearing out the parked cars, vans and trucks before we go building the next generation?

+1 Had to go through town the other day for the first time in awhile. Every bus lane and bike lane had cars parked in, either temporarily (blinkers on) or abandoned. While some were non mandatory, the majority of them seemed to be being used illegally. Not to mention people parking in a fashion that made either pinch points or effectively inhibited movement of all traffic.

My favourite is the Offaly reg car beside the Topaz on the inward bound N11. The owner of the house is too lazy to drive it in so they block the footpath entirely for most of the day. No one seems to care, the Gardai must pass it twenty times a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

buffalo wrote: »
    (and not all of them are taxi lanes)
    Do you know is it that they are taxi lanes unless specified otherwise e.g. college green in Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭buffalo

axer wrote: »
    Do you know is it that they are taxi lanes unless specified otherwise e.g. college green in Dublin?

Yes. Taxis are allowed use bus lanes, except when they're not.

https://goo.gl/maps/fSZpPeb8Tym

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

buffalo wrote: »
    Yes. Taxis are allowed use bus lanes, except when they're not.

https://goo.gl/maps/fSZpPeb8Tym

they're not allowed in contra-flow bus lanes anyway, hence that side of the green and Leeson st outbound.

doesn't stop loads of private cars and taxis using them but that's another issue...

• Registered Users Posts: 29,078 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

CramCycle wrote: »
    +1 Had to go through town the other day for the first time in awhile. Every bus lane and bike lane had cars parked in, either temporarily (blinkers on) or abandoned. While some were non mandatory, the majority of them seemed to be being used illegally. Not to mention people parking in a fashion that made either pinch points or effectively inhibited movement of all traffic.

My favourite is the Offaly reg car beside the Topaz on the inward bound N11. The owner of the house is too lazy to drive it in so they block the footpath entirely for most of the day. No one seems to care, the Gardai must pass it twenty times a day.

Charlemont St bus lane has multiple builders vans and NI cars every morning during rush hour.

453376.jpg

453377.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Hazards grant an exemption from the law, particularly for taxis (who've a derogation from the entire corpus of traffic legislation) don't you know? :pac:

One thing about illegal parkers (panel vans, whichever) on footpaths is that while they don't take up much of the adjoining road, it necessitates being triply watchful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

Charlemont St bus lane has multiple builders vans and NI cars every morning during rush hour.

453376.jpg

453377.jpg

I pass here twice a day, in the morning and at lunchtime. It is awful. Cars and vans parked up, huge trucks everywhere and builders appearing from between the parked cars right into your path.

It is really is the pits

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

One thing about illegal parkers (panel vans, whichever) on footpaths is that while they don't take up much of the adjoining road, it necessitates being triply watchful.

Except…

453390.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

It's pig ignorant. I've a double buggy and you often need to go out on the road with it to get by people parked on the footpath.

• Advertisement

I could be wrong but I read it as sarcasm ?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

It's pig ignorant. I've a double buggy and you often need to go out on the road with it to get by people parked on the footpath.

I’ve a single buggy and often have to go out onto the road with it. Cars on footpads should be impounded.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I’ve a single buggy and often have to go out onto the road with it. Cars on footpads should be impounded.

I think, if you got enough pedestrians, you could tip the cars over onto the road where they belong...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

cdaly_ wrote: »
    I think, if you got enough pedestrians, you could tip the cars over onto the road where they belong...
    I read a guy suggesting tipping it on its side onto a mattress so no damage would be done. I always wondered if some crazy place would encourage vigilantes, legally allow you damage illegally parked cars, but if not illegally parked you would of course be done yourself.

I saw a car parked on the cycle lane on the N11 yesterday or the day before with the wing mirror hanging off and its hazard lights one. Wondered if a passerby kicked it off.

Then there was this guy

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Grassey wrote: »
    Oh the comments - my eyes!

Don't look or you'll go blind!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭work

( My favourite is the Offaly reg car beside the Topaz on the inward bound N11. The owner of the house is too lazy to drive it in so they block the footpath entirely for most of the day. No one seems to care, the Gardai must pass it twenty times a day.[/quote]

Yes cycle past this car every day. They take up 100% of the path and i have seen them opening their door and leaving open so they also take the bike lane. The Garda really couldn't give a s*hit or are asleep. They are sticking 2 fingers up at everyone. Kind of makes you wonder what you can get away with in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,078 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

What a lazy POS article. It's like being asked to write about feminism, and writing about the Irish housewife of the year instead.
    work wrote: »
    ( My favourite is the Offaly reg car beside the Topaz on the inward bound N11. The owner of the house is too lazy to drive it in so they block the footpath entirely for most of the day. No one seems to care, the Gardai must pass it twenty times a day.

Yes cycle past this car every day. They take up 100% of the path and i have seen them opening their door and leaving open so they also take the bike lane. The Garda really couldn't give a s*hit or are asleep. They are sticking 2 fingers up at everyone. Kind of makes you wonder what you can get away with in Ireland.[/QUOTE]

Has anyone tried calling it in? Phone the relevant Garda station every time you see it. Remind them of the quote from the Garda Press Office noting that they are 'duty bound' to investigate such reports. And do the same the next day. And the next day.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

there's real smack of 'oh ****, it's bike week we need to write something about bikes'.

car week - 'would you look at all those motorists having to carry around pointy bits of metal in their pockets ha ha i'm being paid by the word so it's funny'.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭buffalo

work wrote: »
    Yes cycle past this car every day. They take up 100% of the path and i have seen them opening their door and leaving open so they also take the bike lane. The Garda really couldn't give a s*hit or are asleep. They are sticking 2 fingers up at everyone. Kind of makes you wonder what you can get away with in Ireland.

I was cycling home from work on Thursday, and was behind a driver using *both* hands to text on his phone while driving past a parked Garda car. Neither Garda sitting the car noticed, because they were both on their phones.

• Advertisement

I like the last guys take on it, middle aged at 63, looking forward to making it to 120.

Wonder will they ever do an article on the actual health benefits other than throwaway comments on it being exercise.

Imagine an article in layman's terms referring to the reduced rates of cancer, those who do get it have reduced rates of fatalities. Increased life expectancy etc.

Imagine being told that going on the occasional century spin will leave your immune system acting like someone 1/3 your age.

most of their articles about cycling are written by non-cyclists. yet we'd consider it farcical if their motoring articles were written by non-drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

I’d like to see them run an article about obese people who drive in sports clothing. Just for balance.

to be fair, if you took out the first third of that article, it'd be OK; the author is a cyclist herself so maybe the IT has some new automated editing and subediting software which realised that it was an article about cycling and had not met the quota for cliches about leisure cycling, and lumped them in at the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,657 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Article for Bike Week on safety in the Indo (in the motoring section no less). It covers the use of the Dutch reach by motorists to avoid dooring cyclists and there is a section about www.cycleright.ie who are providing cycling training to kids and piloting an adult course too.
    https://www.independent.ie/life/motoring/car-news/how-going-dutch-could-help-stop-motorists-from-dooring-a-cyclist-37003553.html

Also the Indo had a feature article on Irelands 20 best bike routes in their Saturday edition but as yet it hasnt shown up on their website

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Also the Indo had a feature article on Irelands 20 best bike routes in their Saturday edition but as yet it hasnt shown up on their website

Was there yesterday https://www.independent.ie/life/travel/ireland/top-20-cycles-in-ireland-from-family-spins-to-offroaders-and-those-who-want-a-challenge-37005247.html

Meanwhile, on Broadsheet: http://www.broadsheet.ie/2018/06/18/this-guy-right-here/

came back to the radio to hear what sounds like olivia o'leary intoning 'i've nothing against cyclists, but', on radio 1. great.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Her objections to the cycle track on the tow path near her home back in the day seemed a bit flimsy, at least as she chose to express them, so I'm making certain assumptions about her and her attitudes, and I won't be listening to her opining on this subject.

Actually, I just turn off the radio when anyone who's been working high up in the Irish media for decades starts talking about cycling. I probably miss the odd pleasant surprise, but that's a risk I'm willing to take.

when was the last time someone on irish radio was given a platform to complain about drivers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭De Bhál

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement