Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism and cycling

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

It's hard to know if this is a Waterford Whispers News/The Onion situation or this actually happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

As a coping mechanism I've decided the Healy-Rae dynasty is all an elaborate ruse!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

He was in doing that passport thing for his constituents. Why is that even a thing anymore? Should be entirely superfluous in this day and age.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

check_six wrote: »
    He was in doing that passport thing for his constituents. Why is he even a thing anymore? Should be entirely superfluous in this day and age.
    Fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

check_six wrote: »
    He was in doing that passport thing for his constituents. Why is that even a thing anymore? Should be entirely superfluous in this day and age.

It is. I applied online for my passport two weeks ago and it arrived nine days later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Kop Idol

So slowly going round the Benz with irrational attitude to some cars I test from pedestrians
    Today's indo, article is about people's attitude (jealousy?) to those driving expensive cars, so why does the writer feel the need to rant about how much he hates cyclists who ride without lights or on footpaths ? Why unnecessarily work that into a piece you are writing on a completely unrelated area ? Sometimes, the mind boggles :ermm:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Kop Idol wrote: »
    So slowly going round the Benz with irrational attitude to some cars I test from pedestrians
    Today's indo, article is about people's attitude (jealousy?) to those driving expensive cars, so why does the writer feel the need to rant about how much he hates cyclists who ride without lights or on footpaths ? Why unnecessarily work that into a piece you are writing on a completely unrelated area ? Sometimes, the mind boggles :ermm:

"2 litre 6 cylinder"?

I don't think so.

If he can't get the basic specs of what he's reviewing right, then what chance the rest of the writing will be of any use or accuracy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

piece on newstalk now about the proposal in the netherlands to pay employees to cycle to work - the guest is richie oakley, so it's a fairly positive piece.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,256 ✭✭✭✭zell12

piece on newstalk now about the proposal in the netherlands to pay employees to cycle to work - the guest is richie oakley, so it's a fairly positive piece.
    hmmm https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/netherlands-cycling-pay-use-bicycle-road-congestion-dutch-companies-a8408146.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Mercedes is still very much attached to its diesels - and with its heritage that is understandable.

it really isn't.
    The four-door coupe will get you to 100kmh in 6.4 seconds on to a top of 250kmh while still being in a tax band that costs just more than €7 a week.

2 questions...given everything we're reading about diesel emissions how is the motor tax on these cars still so low? and given his earlier comments about rule breaking why does he comment on up to 250km/h without any reference to the utter futility of such power / speed given our speed limits?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

With a name like that I imagine the bitterness comes from many a wedgie in school

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I caught a small bit and it sounded ok, except the presenter brought up 3+-abreast cycling. That, apart from being probably to some extent an optical illusion, has got nothing to do with *cycling to work*.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

fat bloke wrote: »
    "2 litre 6 cylinder"?

I don't think so.

If he can't get the basic specs of what he's reviewing right, then what chance the rest of the writing will be of any use or accuracy.
    To be fair, it was probably handed to him by Mercedes and he fouled up the copy and paste. Make it sound good, but not perfect, make it slightly believable. Also stir up a small frenzy to get more readers as well as the all important word count up as your paid by the word.
    it really isn't.
    2 questions...given everything we're reading about diesel emissions how is the motor tax on these cars still so low? and given his earlier comments about rule breaking why does he comment on up to 250km/h without any reference to the utter futility of such power / speed given our speed limits?
    I imagine emissions based tax on Diesels will sky rocket in the next few years. As the numbers dwindle with electric and many manufacturers moving away, it will become a softer and softer target. That or they will load on the tax at the pump, happy either way.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

tomasrojo wrote: »
    I caught a small bit and it sounded ok, except the presenter brought up 3+-abreast cycling. That, apart from being probably to some extent an optical illusion, has got nothing to do with *cycling to work*.
    he did mention at least once that people's complaints about cyclists in no way was useful in a debate about providing infrastructure.

This system is already in place in Belgium, up to 23c/km is tax free. The companies can decide themselves how much per km they pay.

someone texted in to say 'it shouldn't be 20c per kilometre, it should be a euro' to which oakley responded 'sure there'd be lads detouring via blessington on their commute if you did that!'

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

De Bhál wrote: »

His own fault for not locking it, like what sort of a gob****e doesn't being a lock with them going about town.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

P_1 wrote: »
    His own fault for not locking it, like what sort of a gob****e doesn't being a lock with them going about town.

One who likes to play the victim to get media attention. Sure without his family we’d never know how hard Kerry people have it.

Surely that must be an area crawling with CCTV cameras?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,256 ✭✭✭✭zell12

One who likes to play the victim to get media attention. Sure without his family we’d never know how hard Kerry people have it.
    €5.4m personal wealth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

P_1 wrote: »
    Someone with millions who does not give a flying fcuk it their bike is nicked. He was completely reckless and is now going to use up gardai time.

There were lots of replys on articles with people saying "that's victim blaming" if people called him and idiot and "what do you expect". I call it idiot blaming and negligence.

I always wondered if there is any time the gardai would not investigate a crime and make it clear to the person reporting they are going to do nothing, since the "victim" was so negligent. Like if I went into the gardai and said I left a €100 bottle of whiskey down by the canal at the barge pub for "some time" and it was nicked would they investigate? or if I left a 50 note under a stone outside the passport office.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭LeoD

red_ken wrote: »
    This system is already in place in Belgium, up to 23c/km is tax free. The companies can decide themselves how much per km they pay.

Is this danger money?

Tax/financial incentives, ad campaigns, education programs, etc - all cop outs on the governments behalf to tackle motor dominated and congested streets. Safe, connected & coherent cycle infrastructure is what's needed - it's that simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,975 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

how does this pay per km thing work - what's to stop me throwing the bike onto the train and getting off a stop early and cycling the rest of the way into the office?

there was talk about potentially using an app to audit the journey.

there was talk about potentially using an app to audit the journey.

See.Sense are rubbing their hands…

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

loyatemu wrote:
    how does this pay per km thing work - what's to stop me throwing the bike onto the train and getting off a stop early and cycling the rest of the way into the office?

Probably irish rail 😂

loyatemu wrote: »

I'd assume they'd require you to use something like Strava or See.Sense, which won't work unless you're moving under your own steam.

What might also stop you is the train fare.

LeoD wrote: »
    Is this danger money?

It varies from place to place, but overall cycling isn't all that dangerous.

I do agree that a coherent network of cycling infrastructure is more important than small financial incentives.

rubadub wrote: »
    There were lots of replys on articles with people saying "that's victim blaming"

This is really discrediting the useful concept of victim blaming. Nobody is trying to absolve the perpetrator of ultimate responsibility, which is what victim blaming is used for in the cases of traffic death and sexual assault.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

rubadub wrote: »
    Someone with millions who does not give a flying fcuk it their bike is nicked. He was completely reckless and is now going to use up gardai time.

There were lots of replys on articles with people saying "that's victim blaming" if people called him and idiot and "what do you expect". I call it idiot blaming and negligence.

I always wondered if there is any time the gardai would not investigate a crime and make it clear to the person reporting they are going to do nothing, since the "victim" was so negligent. Like if I went into the gardai and said I left a €100 bottle of whiskey down by the canal at the barge pub for "some time" and it was nicked would they investigate? or if I left a 50 note under a stone outside the passport office.

Amazing attitude.

Crims are ok, its the owners fault for not locking it up enough.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement