Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism and cycling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Its worded badly in terms of one or the other, both work well together

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Borderfox wrote: »
    Its worded badly in terms of one or the other, both work well together

Yeah, it's not an either/or thing. Though car parking always needs to be cut back, it seems.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Flynn added: “They’ve got their earplugs in, they have their hi-vis jackets, they’ve got their helmets and they’re zooming down the street screaming their head off to Nirvana, you know what I mean, or some band, and they don’t see anybody.”

http://irishcycle.com/2018/07/10/dublins-cyclists-think-theyre-in-a-velodrome-says-cllr-flynn/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,232 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Flynn and his ****ty opinions on everything, there's no bigger crank in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,192 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

He's right though, I'm constantly shouting "Oh well, whatever, never mind" as I cycle through the city. I wait until I'm in quieter Wicklow or NCD before I start with "Hello, hello, hello"...

• Advertisement

I blast around on my p-far with "In the Mood" blaring from my handlebar-mounted gramophone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭buffalo

Hurrache wrote: »
    Flynn and his ****ty opinions on everything, there's no bigger crank in Dublin.

Was that an intentional cycling pun?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i am genuinely curious about what the 'they have their hi-vis jackets, they’ve got their helmets' comment was for; it sounds almost dismissive.

'look at those stupid cyclists with their 'safety gear' which i'd be berating them about if they didn't have it'?

admittedly, it's completely futile trying to understand the logic in flynn's pronouncements.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,232 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

buffalo wrote: »
    Was that an intentional cycling pun?

Oh, erm, eh..yes, why yes it was!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

He's right though, I'm constantly shouting "Oh well, whatever, never mind" as I cycle through the city. I wait until I'm in quieter Wicklow or NCD before I start with "Hello, hello, hello"...

Usually I find screaming a bit of this clears the way nicely :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

admittedly, it's completely futile trying to understand the logic in flynn's pronouncements.

Looks like he needs a hobby. Cycling would reduce his stress levels no end.

He does seem to have had an utterly awful childhood. But he's a prize asshole, even allowing for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,192 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

P_1 wrote: »
    Usually I find screaming a bit of this clears the way nicely :pac:
    At least it's a more contemporary band! Flynn sounds like Cosby complaining about the kids these days listening to the rap music, with the hippin' and the hoppin' and the bippin' and the boppin'.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

At least it's a more contemporary band! Flynn sounds like Cosby complaining about the kids these days listening to the rap music, with the hippin' and the hoppin' and the bippin' and the boppin'.

AND THEY DON'T KNOW

[size=+2]WHAT THE JAZZ[/size]

[size=+4]IS ALL ABOUT[/size]

Glass Animals cancel tour after drummer is seriously injured in Dublin bike accident
    They wrote: “Last Monday my best friend, and our drummer Joe was hit by a truck while on his bike here in Dublin. His leg was broken on impact and he became tangled in the truck’s trailer where his skull suffered a complex fracture.

“Miraculously and thankfully,” it continues, “he is alive. After a couple [of] long operations he is now on the road to recovery.
    https://www.nme.com/news/glass-animals-drummer-seriously-injured-after-road-crash-in-dublin-2353344

this was the incident on usher's quay which was mentioned here, btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

this was the incident on usher's quay which was mentioned here, btw.

Not being familiar with Dublin probably explains why he would cycle down the quays - which must have the worst record for cyclists being hit?

Hopefully he makes a full recovery.

mloc123 wrote: »
    Not being familiar with Dublin probably explains why he would cycle down the quays - which must have the worst record for cyclists being hit?

Hopefully he makes a full recovery.

The quays, from memory, has had a few nasty collisions, especially the south side. I might not be remembering correctly.

On the other hand, it is one of the most heavily cycled routes in the city as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,657 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

The section of the quays outside Guinness (Victoria quay?) is pretty dodgy for cyclists trying to change lane while cars are doing 60kph+ right beside them. Usher Quay before it is only slightly safer but not much. That end of the south quays is I bad need of traffic calming before tragedy strikes. Hope the drummer makes a quick recovery.

• Advertisement

I cycle O’connell bridge to Guinness, crossing over to park gate street. The cycle / bus lane from O’connell bridge is a favourite for taxi men to exercise their “ownership”. of the stretch. That stretch song Victoria quay is indeed hairy. It’s effectively a dual carriageway, with matching speeds. The bus lane is also intimidating - buses / taxis will tailgate you, the odd private motorist will use it to undertake with scant regard for cyclists.

A few average speed cameras would sort out the messing along here, particularly give their sucess in the port tunnel

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/speeding-in-dublin-port-tunnel-almost-wiped-out-by-cameras-2c3w7f89j

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    I cycle O’connell bridge to Guinness, crossing over to park gate street. The cycle / bus lane from O’connell bridge is a favourite for taxi men to exercise their “ownership”. of the stretch. That stretch song Victoria quay is indeed hairy. It’s effectively a dual carriageway, with matching speeds. The bus lane is also intimidating - buses / taxis will tailgate you, the odd private motorist will use it to undertake with scant regard for cyclists.

A few average speed cameras would sort out the messing along here, particularly give their sucess in the port tunnel

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/speeding-in-dublin-port-tunnel-almost-wiped-out-by-cameras-2c3w7f89j

I hate this section of the quays but I always go up the middle of the bus & cycle lane these days, sometimes I'm joined by other cyclists, I wish they'd all come out to the centre, the women in particular. Victoria quay badly needs traffic calming or else get rid of the coach parking on the right of the quay and make that a cycle lane, or both!

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

What's the actual speed limit along the Ushers/Victoria Quay stretch where Pinch Flat and Muahahaha have described cars speeding?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

What's the actual speed limit along the Ushers/Victoria Quay stretch where Pinch Flat and Muahahaha have described cars speeding?

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

ED E wrote: »

Which if adhered to/enforced would make maoeuvres such as a right turn to Phoneix Park doable. Think 20 k/ph doesn't work if the road design invites higher speeds but rather tahn ay form of traffic calming I imagine people who cycle on the quays want the Liffey Route built.

I think it increases from 30 kph (which is universally ignored anyway) to 50 kph (which is also universally ignored) just past ushers quay. I’ve been in taxis going down the quays at 80kph plus and asked them to slow down.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

50km/h

See: http://www.dublincity.ie/main-menu-services-roads-and-traffic-general-traffic-measures/speed-limits-your-area and scroll down to “Maps showing City speed limits“.
    I think it increases from 30 kph (which is universally ignored anyway) to 50 kph (which is also universally ignored) just past ushers quay. I’ve been in taxis going down the quays at 80kph plus and asked them to slow down.

Outbound it increases from 30 to 50 at Wood Quay beside the city council’s offices.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Bigus

Not quiet journalism but look at the second comment here from Conor mc grath

https://mobile.twitter.com/GardaTraffic/status/1018495180788334594

Bigus wrote: »
    Not quiet journalism but look at the second comment here from Conor mc grath

https://mobile.twitter.com/GardaTraffic/status/1018495180788334594

Doesn’t sound like the sharpest pin to be fair. It’s worrying if he’s in charge of a HGV.

Edit - just checked his twitter tag “Smoke so much weed you wouldant believe“

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Doesn’t sound like the sharpest pin to be fair. It’s worrying if he’s in charge of a HGV.

Edit - just checked his twitter tag “Smoke so much weed you wouldant believe“

which someone also screenshotted back to the Gardaí suggesting they should maybe look a bit closer at him...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement