Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism and cycling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,683 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

which someone also screenshotted back to the Gardaí suggesting they should maybe look a bit closer at him...

He's a nasty piece of work, who also happens to control a 3 tonne truck on the roads.

I always find it amazing you read through the comments from the likes of himself, and then next to it is the photo of him and the child or the girlfriend......

• Registered Users Posts: 7,247 ✭✭✭plodder

Bigus wrote: »
    Generalisation I know, but I find those dumper truck drivers to be the most dangerous drivers on the road. The number of times you see them speeding sometimes with full loads, where they couldn't possibly stop in a hurry, I hate seeing them when driving, never mind on the bike. Good to see the gardai catching a couple of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,078 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

plodder wrote: »
    Generalisation I know, but I find those dumper truck drivers to be the most dangerous drivers on the road. The number of times you see them speeding sometimes with full loads, where they couldn't possibly stop in a hurry, I hate seeing them when driving, never mind on the bike. Good to see the gardai catching a couple of them.
    Frequently with one hand holding a phone to their ear

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Off his week and listening to the radio while I potter around.

Piece in 98fm about learners driving on the road without a licence.... Jesus wept.

Elephant in the room - get a bike - not discussed yet

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

Pinch Flat wrote: »

Piece in 98fm about learners driving on the road without a licence.... Jesus wept.

Has to be said though, anyone on the road without training in their vehicle - whatever that vehicle may be - is a danger to themselves and others.

Bikes included. Saw one girl wobbling up the central pavement at Heuston LUAS stop, one false move and she could kill herself and others on the LUAS.

Very dangerous.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

that's not a lack of training. that's stupidity.

Has to be said though, anyone on the road without training in their vehicle - whatever that vehicle may be - is a danger to themselves and others.

Bikes included. Saw one girl wobbling up the central pavement at Heuston LUAS stop, one false move and she could kill herself and others on the LUAS.

Very dangerous.

You’re right. We should stop all cycling nationally immediately until mandatory testing and licences are brought in. Never mind the circa 80% plus of cyclists who already hold driving licences. This has worked well on the roads and would stamp out this nonsense.

Curious though how a cyclist could kill people on a tram. Sounds like a bit of wanton hyperbole to me.

Busy day on the radio today. De Live Lahn had a piece on about cyclists. Terrorising people on paths and breaking red lights.

I was driving to the sea side at the time. Kind of ironic people ringing in to have a moan about people in bikes while witnessing all around me while driving north bound on the M50.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

would be very tempted to ring in to one of those segments and say 'i'm a cyclist, joe, and when i break a light, it *stays* broken'.

Or “I’ve broken a few lights Joe but they’re fixed now”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Deedsie wrote: »
    Look at the behaviour of fully licenced mototists. The day the pass their test is the last time some of them use an indicator. I am a fully licenced motorist who drives every day and the behaviour of some people is shocking. Its a disgrace and the privilege of being allowed to sharevthe road with other people should be taken away if they cant follow the rules.

Indicators are for xmas :)

But cyclists are just as bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,657 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

would be very tempted to ring in to one of those segments and say 'i'm a cyclist, joe, and when i break a light, it *stays* broken'.

Im always surprised more trolls dont ring in to Joe Duffy. That comedian The Viper from Hardy Bucks rang in a few years ago and produced a funny segment, Duffy didnt even know he was being wound up such is the amount of loo-lahs he has on his show

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

:eek:
    Doesn’t sound like the sharpest pin to be fair. It’s worrying if he’s in charge of a HGV.

Edit - just checked his twitter tag “Smoke so much weed you wouldant believe“

eek.png

One of the most serious crashes with a cyclist this year was a beautiful woman married just five weeks who was struck by an unaccompanied learner driver. First thing in the hospital they pumped 26 litres of blood into her as it flowed straight back out of her. It's still touch and go for her.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Very dangerous.

Can you please explain how she could have killed the people on the Luas? :confused:

Where did that happen Rechuchote? Was it the one somewhere in Dublin 22 around May/June?
    The media only really seems to report on cyclist deaths but there are some horrific injuries from cars hitting cyclists which we hear little or nothing about

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Where did that happen Rechuchote? Was it the one somewhere in Dublin 22 around May/June?
    The media only really seems to report on cyclist deaths but there are some horrific injuries from cars hitting cyclists which we hear little or nothing about

The Gardai mostly only issues press releases on deaths and, if anything, the the media reports on more collisions with injuries pro-actively as much can be expected.

I get reports sometimes where people have little details or are unsure about the details (time, location etc), so, it's hard to follow up such cases to see if there was serious injuries or not.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/married-life-only-started-two-months-ago-newlywed-critically-injured-in-bicycle-tragedy-36981805.html

Deedsie wrote: »
    As are pedestrians, joggers, runners.... yawn

Dont think pedestrians have to signal on the footpath.

Is there a difference between a jogger and runner?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,078 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

But cyclists are just as bad.
    Just as bad, as in 'killing 3 or 4 people each week, or >4,000 people in the last 15 years'?

Just as bad, as in 'killing 3 or 4 people each week, or >4,000 people in the last 15 years'?

Where did i say that? All i said is that road users in ireland have an issue with signalling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Busy day on the radio today. De Live Lahn had a piece on about cyclists. Terrorising people on paths and breaking red lights.

I was driving to the sea side at the time. Kind of ironic people ringing in to have a moan about people in bikes while witnessing all around me while driving north bound on the M50.

The usual falsehoods being pedalled with abandon on Joes show. For example this:
    If I drive through a red light i get a fine and penalty points

The implied assertions here that
    a) motorists are subjected to rigourous enforcement of the rules
    and therefore
    b) they are therefore highly compliant with the rules

...both of these being complete and utter horsesh*t.

Its such a pity that the media is so not-arsed to challenge these ludicrous falsehoods when they get trotted out again and again (and again)

Looks like those pesky cyclists up to no good again

http://on.irishtimes.com/TswypH2

Also a follow on yesterday’s live lahn

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/young-woman-knocked-down-cyclist-12943045

Hope the woman is okay - dick move to break a red while cycling and putting pedestrians at risk

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Ah here! The video of the lady on the lifting bridge is ridiculous. If you are not able to see it the video is as follows:
    - Barriers are fully down. Warning lights are flashing. The bridge is pivoting into the air.
    - Our hero approaches. She squeezes through the gap in the barriers. She does this inexpertly enough that she whacks one arm of the barrier on the way through making her wobbly progress more wobbly.
    - After breaching the barriers, she heads straight for the bridge, which at this point is about 30 degrees to the horizontal.
    - In my mind's eye I'm thinking how at this point I would be accelerating furiously to zoom up the bridge mid lift and attempt leap across the huge gap, if I was a world class eejit with little regard for my own safety.
    - This thought does not occur to our hero. She maintains her low speed and only seems to notice the bridge very late in the sequence.
    - She veers right, ends up almost parallel to the bridge and then, inevitably, rolls directly into the gap the bridge is leaving near its pivot as it swings upwards.
    - Most of bike and all of rider disappear into the gap. The later sequence shows her being fished out of the gap.
    - At no point did our hero try to avoid disaster which was staring her in the face. Why did she do it? Drunk as jaysis, maybe? Nobody could be that oblivious naturally could they?

check_six wrote: »
    Ah here! The video of the lady on the lifting bridge is ridiculous. If you are not able to see it the video is as follows:
    - Barriers are fully down. Warning lights are flashing. The bridge is pivoting into the air.
    - Our hero approaches. She squeezes through the gap in the barriers. She does this inexpertly enough that she whacks one arm of the barrier on the way through making her wobbly progress more wobbly.
    - After breaching the barriers, she heads straight for the bridge, which at this point is about 30 degrees to the horizontal.
    - In my mind's eye I'm thinking how at this point I would be accelerating furiously to zoom up the bridge mid lift and attempt leap across the huge gap, if I was a world class eejit with little regard for my own safety.
    - This thought does not occur to our hero. She maintains her low speed and only seems to notice the bridge very late in the sequence.
    - She veers right, ends up almost parallel to the bridge and then, inevitably, rolls directly into the gap the bridge is leaving near its pivot as it swings upwards.
    - Most of bike and all of rider disappear into the gap. The later sequence shows her being fished out of the gap.
    - At no point did our hero try to avoid disaster which was staring her in the face. Why did she do it? Drunk as jaysis, maybe? Nobody could be that oblivious naturally could they?

Darwin award indeed

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭what_traffic

They had a good bit to travel to find that. Movable bridge + drunk cyclist and found the answer in Menasha, Wisconsin. Never even heard of "Menasha"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Melodeon

Perhaps her other car is a '74 Dodge Monaco?

monument wrote: »
    The Gardai mostly only issues press releases on deaths and, if anything, the the media reports on more collisions with injuries pro-actively as much can be expected.

I get reports sometimes where people have little details or are unsure about the details (time, location etc), so, it's hard to follow up such cases to see if there was serious injuries or not.

Yeah I think that is more what I was getting at. We tend to hear about the initial accident in the media alright but it seems rare to me that we hear anything much after that, as to how the person is, any permanent injuries, etc. Which is why the incident in Clondalkin in the link below shocked me so much, the extent of her injuries were absolutely horrific, my heart sank upon reading it back in June. I hope she recovers, it really disturbs me to read what can happen when you are out for a simple cycle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

independent.ie/irish-news/married-life-only-started-two-months-ago-newlywed-critically-injured-in-bicycle-tragedy-36981805.html

It was clondalkin.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement