Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism and cycling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

tomasrojo wrote: »
    There's a bit in the reporting about the drivers who'd passed the cyclist before the collision occurred, and they reported how hard he was to see.

Might be true, but I've been told how hard I am to see with a Lunar R2 on the back of the bike, plus reflectors, and the person telling me had clearly seen me at least 100m away (they slowed down and switched to the left lane when I signalled I was changing lane to go straight on), so I'd take that with a pinch of salt.

it was very dark you know. I thought we'd had the discussion here before about the illuminated range of headlights and how you should drive to expect anything outside of the currently visible range.
    that's not to say the cyclist shouldn't have had lights as he clearly should have, but rather that he should still not have been hit or even almost hit as the other witness stated that he also nearly hit him.

I'm also confused by the random reference to a 'marathon cycle' without any further explanation as to where he was coming from or how long he'd been out on his bike. or indeed whether they're implying that it was somehow a factor.

finally, typically lenient sentencing. careless driving causing death = suspended sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,657 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Grassey wrote: »
    Says it all really..... 20k views... no comments...

If it was anything cycle related comments would be multiples of the views!

Comments arent open on that article as its before the courts. The Journal have had a major crack down recently on allowing comments when anything is before the courts. Which is often ridiculous as it is only jury trials that can be prejudiced by public comment (unless they think judges read the comments and get swayed on their judgements by commenters on the Journal :rolleyes: )

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Schrodingercat

I read the marathon cycle as he had just gone for a long cycle. Non cyclist terminology, same as the description of the bike as 27 gear Trek bike. Everyone else saw him apart from the guy who had been drinking. Cars have lights, and if visibility is bad you slow down.
    finally, typically lenient sentencing. careless driving causing death = suspended sentence.

The DPP successfully appealed another case of drink driving. The cynic in me would suspect it was appealed because they also hit a guard.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/drink-driver-who-was-five-times-over-the-limit-when-he-killed-pensioner-jailed-on-appeal-37173181.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I read the marathon cycle as he had just gone for a long cycle. Non cyclist terminology, same as the description of the bike as 27 gear Trek bike. Everyone else saw him apart from the guy who had been drinking. Cars have lights, and if visibility is bad you slow down.

The DPP successfully appealed another case of drink driving. The cynic in me would suspect it was appealed because they also hit a guard.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/drink-driver-who-was-five-times-over-the-limit-when-he-killed-pensioner-jailed-on-appeal-37173181.html

The ex-guard in me would suspect it was appealed despite the fact that a garda was also hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

nee wrote: »
    . How the drink driving bit didn't come into consideration in the verdict is completely baffling. Makes no sense. It's surely the biggest contributory factor in the whole thing..

Remember this was the inquest verdict which simply states the cause of death so I don't know if bringing up the drink driving would have changed it. It certainly came up in the court case and judge said driver deserved a custodial sentence but he suspended it because of the plea that the driver was caring for his disabled wife. Shockingly the report also said driver had a previous conviction for drink driving. He did get a 5 year ban which given his age will probably be a lifetime one as I imagine cost of insurance would be prohibitive at age 76 with a conviction.

• Advertisement

Happened half an hour after sunset. Very easy to not realise the time and get caught out without lights on a long spin.

Nothing changes the fact that the driver was drunk , admitted careless driving and as posters have said the collision may well have happened anyway but I have a problem with above comment. I'm guessing that unlike the unfortunate young fella you're not 18 and therefore not part of the high risk group who feel invincible because their brains haven't matured yet. Imo it has to become as unthinkable to cycle without lights as to not to wear a seatbelt or pop a 4 year old unsecured in the front seat of a car

Unlike the clunky lights of old, half-decent modern lights should fit in a jersey pocket, in a saddle bag or in a rucksack and could be always carried in case of being caught out in an emergency. I see a lot of cyclists use a flashing rear light all the time a bit like DLR's for cars I suppose.

If we say it's easy to not realise the time we have to accept excuses from drivers too for things they didn't realise so its a slippery slope.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭hesker

P_1 wrote: »

Not very clever.

However it’s so frustrating to see so much money spent on a modern road system with such crap design for cycle paths. Forced to go 100m out of your way at every roundabout and cross a road where you have to yield

• Registered Users Posts: 10,232 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

That's around the Ballycoolin area. It has been discussed here before, if you stick to the cycle land and want to cross at a junction or a roundabout, you can't. You're directed away from the junction, for a decent bit of distance in places, and you have to double back on yourself.

However, why that guy is where he is I don't know. I think there's a pedestrian crossing just before there and he may have slipped through it, saw traffic coming and didn't cross the road but just hooked around onto the road while waiting for the traffic to go by before he swings over to the other side.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

That cycle lane ends after the roundabout and puts you on the grass

Was the picture also taken from inside a lorry, cropping out the windscreen? looks to high to be a pedestrian and on the road

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,078 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

P_1 wrote: »

And by contrast, this gets 1/15th of the number of comments;

https://www.reddit.com/r/ireland/comments/93s9gl/quality_multitasking_from_a_dublin_bus_driver/

And the vast majority of the comments are downplaying the issue

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

And by contrast, this gets 1/15th of the number of comments;

https://www.reddit.com/r/ireland/comments/93s9gl/quality_multitasking_from_a_dublin_bus_driver/

And the vast majority of the comments are downplaying the issue
    You'd go nuts sat in traffic like that day in day out without something to keep your mind a bit fresh.

quite.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

…high risk group who feel invincible because their brains haven't matured yet.

Feel invincible, are invisible. I can't wait for this particular fashion to become passé. Sure, kids look cool cycling along all in black on an all-black bike, but Jesus Christ…

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i think i just heard mention of a cycling safety piece coming up on drivetime on radio 1 soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Schrodingercat

I was more thinking of it from a driving perspective that you have to be aware of bikes without lights. If you look out for bikes and expect them you have a good chance of seeing them. have a look in Donnybrook when the clocks go back and both cars and bikes are going around with no lights. Everyone on the roads makes mistakes, and you have to expect them (drink driving / phone use etc is not a mistake its a conscious selfish act). At an appropriate speed you can react in time to other peoples mistakes.

I had a light run out of battery last year on me, it was fine leaving work and only realised it wasn't working when I got home. I have 2 rear lights now because of it. And I've been on the Mountain bike where I wouldn't generally have it on the road or need lights and been delayed with mechanicals and it was dusky going home. Lesson learned and I pack a rear light in the bag now on an evening spin.

I'd rather not speculate on the poor lad. His dad did say he was safety conscious and he did have a rear reflector as well, but I get your point about the high risk groups. I was an eejit when I was younger.

Nothing changes the fact that the driver was drunk , admitted careless driving and as posters have said the collision may well have happened anyway but I have a problem with above comment. I'm guessing that unlike the unfortunate young fella you're not 18 and therefore not part of the high risk group who feel invincible because their brains haven't matured yet. Imo it has to become as unthinkable to cycle without lights as to not to wear a seatbelt or pop a 4 year old unsecured in the front seat of a car

Unlike the clunky lights of old, half-decent modern lights should fit in a jersey pocket, in a saddle bag or in a rucksack and could be always carried in case of being caught out in an emergency. I see a lot of cyclists use a flashing rear light all the time a bit like DLR's for cars I suppose.

If we say it's easy to not realise the time we have to accept excuses from drivers too for things they didn't realise so its a slippery slope.

Everyone on the roads makes mistakes, and you have to expect them (drink driving / phone use etc is not a mistake its a conscious selfish act). At an appropriate speed you can react in time to other peoples mistake.

Liked your thoughtful reply thanks. Above is all too true and one of the reasons Rod King of 20's Plenty puts forward for 20 mph (our 30 km p/h) zones. the lower speed makes the consequences of a mistake less serious for the pedestrian/cyclist. He claims that childre and the eldely especially are not good at judging speed.

I have driven myself unknowingly with a blown headlight bulb and of course i should have known because I should check more often so yes we all make mistakes. Also cycled with a loose pannier strap that caught in the spokes, that just snarled thigs up for myself fortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 29,078 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Jez that was a hard read :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Pinch Flat wrote: »

Even a walk from O'Connell St to the park is going to be too much for too many going to this . I predict abandoned cars en mass as no way they can park legally and keep the city open for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,511 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

So the gardai has raised serious safety concerns yet they are still allowed hold the event? Anything else would get cancelled in such circumstances

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Sounds like they need a miracle to sort out the ensuing carmageddon

• Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Sounds like they need a miracle to sort out the ensuing carmageddon

Is there anything to be said for another mass?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

20,000 cars in knock - that's a 100km long queue, with them basically parked bumper to bumper.

if it's the same maths for the phoenix park (91% driving, 2 per car), though knock would have lesser PT options, that's over a quarter of a million cars, all trying to get to the same venue at the same time.
    we walked from blanchardstown to the park when JPII visited (i say 'we' walked, i was pushed in a buggy); i guess we were lucky, living closer than most. the only thing i think i remember is boredom and a huge lollipop.

Borderfox wrote: »
    Is there anything to be said for another mass?
    maybe they'll get that priest from mayo who blesses the roads, to bless the parking spots. could rustle up a loaves and the fishes miracle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Glass Prison 1214

Maybe the chaos that will undoubtedly be caused by the amount of cars at the event will be a good thing. Might make people aware that there simply isn't space for cars in Dublin going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Maybe the chaos that will undoubtedly be caused by the amount of cars at the event will be a good thing. Might make people aware that there simply isn't space for cars in Dublin going forward.

But if we paved the liffey we could have a new motorway fixing all congestion problems for Pope Con 2045

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Indeed there a lot of buildings with wasteful ground floors we could usefully bulldoze to make way for our 95% stationary overlords.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Even a walk from O'Connell St to the park is going to be too much for too many going to this . I predict abandoned cars en mass as no way they can park legally and keep the city open for it.

When is the Pope thing on? Assuming we will have chaos out on the M4 also

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,511 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I hope it rains enough to force them to take in the roads

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement