Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism and cycling

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

you're right about Robert Troy - very interesting how he's stepped forward as a leader on this in a short space of time. I was impressed at how he spoke tbh.
    also interesting how his Wikipedia page states that he supports re-opening the railway from Athlone to Mullingar, which now has a greenway running alongside or on top of it for the entire distance!

He sees a vote, and a nice friendly PR move for the next election. He was accused of trying to knock the drink driving rule tightening by adding in a Hi Vis amendment. Personally, I don't care if it is a BS PR exercise if it gets the required result but I am under no illusion about him or anyone else in Leinster House.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭LeoD

tomasrojo wrote: »
    At this stage, it's important to separate Dublin from the rest of the country. It really is on a completely different course, especially in the city centre.

I'd be interested to see if the census data can be reconciled with the canal cordon counts, which I think suggested a rise in journeys by bus? Maybe it's just trips to the city centre?

This is a bit odd:

It then goes on to list a bunch of places that have higher car use than Dublin that aren't Cork, Limerick or Galway. Perhaps they mean cities, but I assume Kilkenny, for example, has higher car use than Dublin

The Car is King framing is a bit undermined by all the places that have car journeys at less than 50% too.

Not sure where they are getting the numbers from. These from 2016 tell a different story. Limerick for example is around 66% car journeys (driver and passenger)
    https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-cp6ci/p6cii/p6mtw/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

CramCycle wrote: »
    He sees a vote, and a nice friendly PR move for the next election. He was accused of trying to knock the drink driving rule tightening by adding in a Hi Vis amendment. Personally, I don't care if it is a BS PR exercise if it gets the required result but I am under no illusion about him or anyone else in Leinster House.

yes and no - he's based in Mullingar, which while it's at the end of a greenway is hardly a cycling mecca so I'm not sure how many votes this is really going to generate for him.
    I also have no love for him but amn't going to get cynical about 1 of the few people putting their head above the parapet on this issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

• Registered Users Posts: 10,232 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

CramCycle wrote: »
    than either everyone pro, or everyone against, as Today FM and Newstalk seem to manage.

Yates was talking about the wonderful greenways we have for both cyclists and pedestrians because of a piece he'll be doing later.

Tomorrow he'll be railing against cyclists not paying 'road' tax but still being given all these facilities for their use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

you're right about Robert Troy - very interesting how he's stepped forward as a leader on this in a short space of time. I was impressed at how he spoke tbh.!

Me too, 1st time I listened to the podcast I stopped listening just before Robert Troy. I knew as Cram Cycle says he had backed mandatory hi-vis (in the amendment that was never taken) so was sure he'd be the "opposition" to Shane Foran. Have to say when I listened again, I was gob-smacked. As another poster said, he was well-briefed.

Of course Cram Cycle is right to be cynical re FF motive but anyone Dublin based & interested in getting a better deal for cycling can play them at their own game. It was nteresting that the FF cycling policy was jointly launched by Robert Troy and John Lahart and if FF are to increase their number of seats in next election they have to gain seats in Dublin where they are represented in only 6 of the 11 constituencies. FF arent blind to the huge numbers cycling in Dublin so for once a party might listen to the concerns of cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,078 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,846 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I read that earlier.
    Not sure what another pointless cycle lane will do to improve safety there though

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

I read that earlier.
    Not sure what another pointless cycle lane will do to improve safety there though

How about a decent cycle path then? http://irishcycle.com/2018/09/05/dutch-style-cycling-friendly-roundabout-is-a-must-for-south-dublin-junction/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

That dangerous roundabout does have a meme cycle lane, whereas to be safe there a rider has to master the main traffic lane, and it seems largely unchanged barring vegetation since its '70s construction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Very tragic. Drivers awareness of blind spots and making cyclists aware to avoid the inside of trucks particularly when they're already ahead of them need to be educated

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Almost €2 million worth of bicycles stolen around the country since 2016
    Friday is statistically the most common day for bikes to be stolen.
    In 2017 bike theft rates were up 7.5% and are on course to rise again this year with 2,319 bikes stolen so far in 2018.

I'd hazard the reality is multiples of that!

Yeah I'd say a lot don't get reported.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,078 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Good insights into Terenure incident reported yesterday in this thread
    https://twitter.com/dublincycling/status/1037595468191211520?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

yep, it really identifies all of the possible contributing factors and how such a simple narrative really does little to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Grassey wrote: »

Yeah, wait until they find Beasty's gaff. :D

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,846 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Grassey wrote: »
    I've seen adverts on Facebook for stuff for sale on their marketplace including bikes for next to nothing. I've wondered if these were stroked.
    Yeah I'd say a lot don't get reported.
    According to IrishCycle.com, 14,000 bikes stolen since 2016 and only 16%of owners had recorded their frame numbers. Not a huge amount of point in reporting it if you can't prove you owned it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

RTE news has more on the stolen bikes figures. "Lock it or lose it" is the garda slogan ffs.

The thieves are not put off by locks for an awful lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

It's a good insight alright but my issue with the likes of the DCC is that they seem to think infrastructure is a magic bullet that will solve all the world's problems. Its not. There are assholes out there on bikes. There are headless chickens out there on bikes. Were not going to get segregated cycle lanes everywhere and the more they bleat on about them the more people are going to identify cyclists as whingers which causes the rest of us all sorts of problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Prime Time RTE1 9.35PM tonight.

Feature on cycling.

Eamonnator wrote: »

Feature on cycling.

Get ready for the full frontal assault...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Feature on cycling.

I predict Hi vis and helmets as the solution to this issue

I’m sure the two drivers who entered the shared bike / bus lane on Dublin’s north quays this evening, botth within a few hundred meters and both almost hitting me, will be tuning in. If only there was a dedicated lane cyclists could use here. And cyclists had lights. And paid “road tax”. And we’re insured. And wore a helmet. A feck it....

Opening statement:

“There’s more cyclists on the road than ever before”.

That’s incorrect. The amount of cars has doubled from 1,000,000 to 2,000,000 in the past 20 years whereas the numbers of cyclists has dropped. More girls for example drive than cycle to school nationwide.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Feature on cycling.
    i'll be in my panic room. someone text me when it's over.

Hmmmm shes struggling

She came across a bit hysterical

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Do 100,000 people cycle in Dublin every day?
    or did I hear incorrectly?

Jaysus was there nobody else?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Jaysus. Just caught the end of it. Who is that woman? Shouty, hysterical...we’re all going to die if we are on a bike.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement