Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism and cycling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,849 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Meh, that was a waste of time..

The councillor's overall attitude was "Ah sure it's grand..."

Absolutely nothing encouraging about that short Tv segment..

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭alentejo

She was awful!!!!#primetime. Didn't do the cause any good.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Ok she was awful. Actually felt the Fingal councillor spoke more sense aside from the 100k cyclist figure

• Registered Users Posts: 29,078 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Jaysus. Just caught the end of it. Who is that woman? Shouty, hysterical...we’re all going to die if we are on a bike.

Victoria White - Eamonn Ryan's missus and occasional newspaper columnist

P_1 wrote: »
    It's a good insight alright but my issue with the likes of the DCC is that they seem to think infrastructure is a magic bullet that will solve all the world's problems. Its not. There are assholes out there on bikes. There are headless chickens out there on bikes. Were not going to get segregated cycle lanes everywhere and the more they bleat on about them the more people are going to identify cyclists as whingers which causes the rest of us all sorts of problems.

Should we take the same approach to road developments? No new roads until the whinging drivers start sticking to the speed limit?

• Advertisement

Victoria White - Eamonn Ryan's missus and occasional newspaper columnist

Doesn't he cycle to work himself or at least used to?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

i'll be in my panic room. someone text me when it's over.

It's over.
    You did the right thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Yer one was terrible. Way too emotional about the subject. Also said she cycled into the studio on the footpath (roll)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Should we take the same approach to road developments? No new roads until the whinging drivers start sticking to the speed limit?

You've got my vote!

Doesn't he cycle to work himself or at least used to?

I've seen him round a few times, and he usually attends Dublin Cycling Campaign events.

• Advertisement

Put down the pitchfork and read what I said again.

We need to deal with the reality of what we face now as well as campaigning for better infrastructure

Put down the pitchfork and read what I said again.

We need to deal with the reality of what we face now as well as campaigning for better infrastructure

I read what you said. You suggested that there is some collective responsibility on cyclists for the behaviour for other cyclists. Which is nonsense.

If you don't think it's nonsense, what are you plans to deal the reality of the motorists who killed three or four people each week - because in your world, ALL motorists are responsible for the behaviour of those motorists?

I read what you said. You suggested that there is some collective responsibility on cyclists for the behaviour for other cyclists. Which is nonsense.

If you don't think it's nonsense, what are you plans to deal the reality of the motorists who killed three or four people each week - because in your world, ALL motorists are responsible for the behaviour of those motorists?

I did nothing of the sort.

What I said was that there are some people who put themselves in danger and it might be a good idea to maybe get a bit of a message out there that maybe not putting yourself in danger is a good idea.

To head off another misinterpretation, I'm not referring to wearing a builders vest thinking it's a suit of armour.

Of course if you'd rather shout about the us v then nonsense and do nothing constructive that's your own lookout

I did nothing of the sort.

What I said was that there are some people who put themselves in danger and it might be a good idea to maybe get a bit of a message out there that maybe not putting yourself in danger is a good idea.

To head off another misinterpretation, I'm not referring to wearing a builders vest thinking it's a suit of armour.

Of course if you'd rather shout about the us v then nonsense and do nothing constructive that's your own lookout

And do we need to do the same thing about motoring - get a message out about people not putting themselves (or more importantly, others) in danger before we go looking for more roads?

What is the actual connection between safe cycling and segregated bike lanes ?

Would, for example, a press release from the Dublin Cycling Campaign satisfy you here, even though you well know it will have negligible impact on cycling behaviours?

And do we need to do the same thing about motoring - get a message out about people not putting themselves (or more importantly, others) in danger before we go looking for more roads?

What is the actual connection between safe cycling and segregated bike lanes ?

Would, for example, a press release from the Dublin Cycling Campaign satisfy you here, even though you well know it will have negligible impact on cycling behaviours?

I'd love nothing more than to wake up in the morning to see that plenty of pristine segregated cycling tracks with billiard table smooth tarmac have sprung up but guess what that wont happen. At a minimum you're going to be looking at 2 years for that to happen.

Now how many cyclists are going to be killed in those 2 years? What can we do to try and cut this number down? How about we look at the things we can control rather than make unproductive noise over what we can't.

What can we control? How about the position we take on the road when our on the bike? How about what gaps we try to nip through? Yep we can control that. What about the knowledge we have that an inexperienced cyclist may not have? You bet your Shimano 105 we can and should share that.

Now how many cyclists are going to be killed in those 2 years? What can we do to try and cut this number down? How about we look at the things we can control rather than make unproductive noise over what we can't.

What can we control? How about the position we take on the road when our on the bike? How about what gaps we try to nip through? Yep we can control that. What about the knowledge we have that an inexperienced cyclist may not have? You bet your Shimano 105 we can and should share that.

How exactly can we control the behaviour of other cyclists?

How exactly can we control the behaviour of other cyclists?

Something's getting lost in translation here.

We can't. All we can do is try educating them. I don't see any effort being done to do this.

Something's getting lost in translation here.

We can't. All we can do is try educating them. I don't see any effort being done to do this.

So what kind of campaign do you have in mind, and who do you expect to fund it?

Ah give it a f'n rest AndrewJRenko you're always at this scutter picking arguments with people where none need to be had. Everyone is on the same side here but it's bloody tiresome to read yet another needless rant and nit picking by you.

So what kind of campaign do you have in mind, and who do you expect to fund it?

Advocacy for infrastructure continued.

Less tweets giving out about the misbehaviour of motorists and the inaction of gardai. It serves no point but to antagonize and reduces the impact of the advocacy.

More tweets offering practical advice. Eg how to position yourself at a pinch point to avoid close passes or where the blind spots of a truck are and to stay the bejaysus away from them or to get the help out of them if you find yourself in one.

A few tweets pointing out the negative impact that things like breaking red lights and cycling on footpaths can have on the advocacy

• Advertisement

Advocacy for infrastructure continued.

Less tweets giving out about the misbehaviour of motorists and the inaction of gardai. It serves no point but to antagonize and reduces the impact of the advocacy.

More tweets offering practical advice. Eg how to position yourself at a pinch point to avoid close passes or where the blind spots of a truck are and to stay the bejaysus away from them or to get the help out of them if you find yourself in one.

A few tweets pointing out the negative impact that things like breaking red lights and cycling on footpaths can have on the advocacy

Tweets from who?

Tweets from who?

The cycling lobby bodies with a large social following.

Hell I'd set one up myself if its needed. I've built pages and campaigns in the past with no issue. The only concern I'd have doing something like that is you could end up with a Judean Peoples Front v People's Front of Judea type of situation

The cycling lobby bodies with a large social following.

Hell I'd set one up myself if its needed. I've built pages and campaigns in the past with no issue. The only concern I'd have doing something like that is you could end up with a Judean Peoples Front v People's Front of Judea type of situation

To me, it's a nonsense idea. Here's why:

1) It will be completely ineffective. You don't change public behaviours with a few tweets. The vast majority of cyclists don't identify as 'cyclists'. They don't follow lobby groups on social media. They just cycle.

2) It will be a distraction. There is no evidence that cyclist behaviour is a significant factor in road deaths. The cycling lobby groups need to focus on priorities, not dilute their attention.

It smacks of 'false equivalence' to me.
    https://www.roadbikerider.com/views/1194-correcting-the-false-equivalencies-in-the-cars-vs-cyclists-debate

It smacks of acceptance of the idea of 'collective responsibility' for cyclists only - that other cyclists or cycling groups are responsible for the behaviour of all cyclists - an idea that is never applied to the motorists who kill and maim each week on the roads for some strange reason.

It looks like a sop to the anti-cycling sentiment that we frequently hear in the media, that we have to reach some mythical standard of behaviour before 'we can have nice things'.

If you or anyone else thinks this is a good idea - knock yourself out. To me, it's a bit of a self-hating thing. But whether you agree or not, it hasn't a hope in hell of having any impact on any significant number of cyclists.

To me, it's a nonsense idea. Here's why:

1) It will be completely ineffective. You don't change public behaviours with a few tweets. The vast majority of cyclists don't identify as 'cyclists'. They don't follow lobby groups on social media. They just cycle.

2) It will be a distraction. There is no evidence that cyclist behaviour is a significant factor in road deaths. The cycling lobby groups need to focus on priorities, not dilute their attention.

It smacks of 'false equivalence' to me.
    https://www.roadbikerider.com/views/1194-correcting-the-false-equivalencies-in-the-cars-vs-cyclists-debate

It smacks of acceptance of the idea of 'collective responsibility' for cyclists only - that other cyclists or cycling groups are responsible for the behaviour of all cyclists - an idea that is never applied to the motorists who kill and maim each week on the roads for some strange reason.

It looks like a sop to the anti-cycling sentiment that we frequently hear in the media, that we have to reach some mythical standard of behaviour before 'we can have nice things'.

If you or anyone else thinks this is a good idea - knock yourself out. To me, it's a bit of a self-hating thing. But whether you agree or not, it hasn't a hope in hell of having any impact on any significant number of cyclists.

Theres no such thing as a nonsense idea in this context tbh. You try something and see if it works.

Imo the current strategy is failing. When you see something failing then its time to try a different tactic.

Refining the idea slightly. Perhaps an intersectional lobby group encompassing cyclists, drivers and pedestrians who aren't assholes might be a way forward

Theres no such thing as a nonsense idea in this context tbh. You try something and see if it works.

Imo the current strategy is failing. When you see something failing then its time to try a different tactic.

Refining the idea slightly. Perhaps an intersectional lobby group encompassing cyclists, drivers and pedestrians who aren't assholes might be a way forward

I disagree. This is serious stuff. We shouldn't be flapping around just to be doing something.

We know what the problems are that are causing cyclist deaths, and a bit of tweeting isn't going to fix them. If anything, it will be a distraction from the real issue, and will give comfort to those who want to blame victims.

I disagree. This is serious stuff. We shouldn't be flapping around just to be doing something.

We know what the problems are that are causing cyclist deaths, and a bit of tweeting isn't going to fix them. If anything, it will be a distraction from the real issue, and will give comfort to those who want to blame victims.

And deferring to self appointed experts is the way to go?

And deferring to self appointed experts is the way to go?

Do you have any idea how governance of the Dublin Cycling Campaign works? If you have something to offer, feel free to get involved and volunteer or run for an executive position, if you're not happy with the current focus.

Or feel free to not defer by running your own campaign. You seemed to indicate that would be a fairly easy thing to do, so why not go for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

I'd love nothing more than to wake up in the morning to see that plenty of pristine segregated cycling tracks with billiard table smooth tarmac have sprung up but guess what that wont happen. At a minimum you're going to be looking at 2 years for that to happen.

Noble intentions undoubtedly, but complete nonsense in terms of improving cycling in this country. Poor infrastructure encourages poor behaviour; same applies to cyclists as much as it does for motorists. Dublin's infrastructure is designed to create conflict between private motorists and cyclists at present due to its inability to provide for mass use of both modes of transport. Throw in the Luas and Bus services and its like Armageddon out there. Anyone who cycles regularly in the city centre will testify to this. It is a constant battle. Have no doubt, there is a war taking place on the streets of Dublin, and while remaining neutral and taking the moral high ground is fine, it's never going to lead to a victory. It's not even going to work; it imagines cyclists to be a small, minority group, a community. Whereas in reality, cyclists come in all shapes and sizes, and from all backgrounds, and are in the thousands and growing. Viewing cyclists as a homogenous group will not help, and potentially plays into the hands of those who would criticise cyclists for breaking red lights, cycling on footpaths and so forth. What will help cycling is investment in infrastructure firstly, and education of, and enforcement against, motorists, secondly. Because cycling is not difficult. Cycling is not inherently dangerous. And cycling does not generally cause road rage. The same cannot be said for driving. The problem here is not cycling. The problem is cars. And specifically the disproportionate credence offered to cars over bicycles in the planning system. There is not much harm in trying to educate cyclists and promote safer cycling, but there is not going to be much benefit from it either if real solutions are not found to the actual problems that exist with cycling in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I don't find cycling in Dublin city centre all that bad. Though maybe it's like the noise you're not aware of until it stops, and there's a background stress that doesn't register with me consciously (most days anyway).

The weird thing about road allocation in Dublin is that so much of it is still given over to trying to facilitate private cars, and they represent a minority of city-centre journeys.

• Advertisement

Noble intentions undoubtedly, but complete nonsense in terms of improving cycling in this country. Poor infrastructure encourages poor behaviour; same applies to cyclists as much as it does for motorists. Dublin's infrastructure is designed to create conflict between private motorists and cyclists at present due to its inability to provide for mass use of both modes of transport. Throw in the Luas and Bus services and its like Armageddon out there. Anyone who cycles regularly in the city centre will testify to this. It is a constant battle. Have no doubt, there is a war taking place on the streets of Dublin, and while remaining neutral and taking the moral high ground is fine, it's never going to lead to a victory. It's not even going to work; it imagines cyclists to be a small, minority group, a community. Whereas in reality, cyclists come in all shapes and sizes, and from all backgrounds, and are in the thousands and growing. Viewing cyclists as a homogenous group will not help, and potentially plays into the hands of those who would criticise cyclists for breaking red lights, cycling on footpaths and so forth. What will help cycling is investment in infrastructure firstly, and education of, and enforcement against, motorists, secondly. Because cycling is not difficult. Cycling is not inherently dangerous. And cycling does not generally cause road rage. The same cannot be said for driving. The problem here is not cycling. The problem is cars. And specifically the disproportionate credence offered to cars over bicycles in the planning system. There is not much harm in trying to educate cyclists and promote safer cycling, but there is not going to be much benefit from it either if real solutions are not found to the actual problems that exist with cycling in Dublin.

But I'm not viewing cyclists as a homogenous group. If anything it's the likes of DCC that are. I mean if you look at the messaging they put across on social media, youd be forgiven for thinking that all cyclists were a bunch of cry baby whingers who dont know what to do if they encounter a car parked in a cycle lane

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement