Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism and cycling

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭jjpep

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-45622381

A lot of victim blaming in this article IMHO. Why do cars have lights if they clearly don't work?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

jjpep wrote: »
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-45622381

A lot of victim blaming in this article IMHO. Why do cars have lights if they clearly don't work?

According to that article, the driver was distracted by a parked truck anyway so searching for other contributing factors after that seems a bit pointless.

Car lights not illuminating anything they hit does seem to pop up quite often though. I suspect the problem is not solely down to the lightbulbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

In other stupid news, a school in London has decided to force school children to put number plates on their bikes.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-45636870

Good thinking. I'm sure that the subsequent collapse in numbers cycling will have lots of 'benefits' to everyone. :mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,683 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

I read a most illuminating article on US politics recently which discussed the fact that people are so tied to their points of view, that even when they are shown clear facts that display their point of view to be incorrect, they still continue to argue and support that point of view.

I think this applies in many walks of life, and here is a good example.

Ye old 'sure they are impossible to see, they arent lit up, ninja cyclists'......

He said Mr Hall had been wearing dark clothing with little reflective material at the time of the collision.

However, the inquest was also played documentary footage of Mr Hall racing at night in which he was visible.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,683 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

check_six wrote: »
    In other stupid news, a school in London has decided to force school children to put number plates on their bikes.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-45636870

Good thinking. I'm sure that the subsequent collapse in numbers cycling will have lots of 'benefits' to everyone. :mad::mad:

Thats very interesting - cycling in a way that endangers themselves and others? really? stats to back that up - i doubt it.

What an ass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,263 ✭✭✭✭zell12

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭De Bhál

fantastic

Where do schools get off, kids are out side of school grounds outside of school hours riding private bikes not school ones and they want the kids to be reported to them for something that even if it did happen is none of their business. If I was a parent of a child at that school I know where I'd be telling them to stick their number.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,232 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

zell12 wrote: »
    Proactive group marshalling children to school

I love that. It's something I've thought about locally here, it'll take a lot of cars off the road in the immediate area.

In this clip, is that a garda at the tail end?
    https://twitter.com/GSMhicAmhlaigh/status/1044325268796710912

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Hurrache wrote: »
    I love that. It's something I've thought about locally here, it'll take a lot of cars off the road in the immediate area.

Yep I read somewhere that the Guard was there for the first day only

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

https://www.limerickpost.ie/2018/09/25/wheelchair-user-threatened-by-reckless-cyclists/

I have to agree with the wheelchair user, the cyclists that use the pavement in Limerick are reckless. I've only come across one or two cyclists that have dismounted when it comes to pavements/pedestrian crossings. I dont think that cycling on the pavement is any excuse by some saying its too dangerous to cycle on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,263 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Yep. They had a garda on Day 1 only. Goes ~3.5km

Yep I read somewhere that the Guard was there for the first day only

Understandable. I'd like to think most motorists would appreciate and respect it, but as we all know there's always that 1 dick. No harm having a garda present on occasion so as to keep anyone thinking about getting out of line wary of doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Understandable. I'd like to think most motorists would appreciate and respect it, but as we all know there's always that 1 dick. No harm having a garda present on occasion so as to keep anyone thinking about getting out of line wary of doing so.

Sadly, there's plenty of dicks and they will all appear and use aggressive and intimidating driving to bully these bikes off the road as soon as the garda is gone.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I wonder could they train one or two of the parents in as Lollipop people. They would have the legal right to stop traffic and make it safer as well as legal to facilitate such a bus. It shouldn't be needed but, well, you know yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Admittedly, I haven't commuted with the children on bikes in the city, but my experience is we get more time and space when I'm with them than when I'm solo or with a group of adults.

Some motorists are happy to risk killing the dad or mam that's out on their own and leave the children grieving without parent, less willing to risk the life of the child. I guess they're still children not "cyclists" yet....

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Some motorists are happy to risk killing the dad or mam that's out on their own and leave the children grieving without parent, less willing to risk the life of the child. I guess they're still children not "cyclists" yet....
    That's simply because everyone knows that children pay road tax!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,079 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Whoosh

https://twitter.com/NaughtonElaine/status/1044604437128511489

McLove wrote: »
    https://www.limerickpost.ie/2018/09/25/wheelchair-user-threatened-by-reckless-cyclists/

I have to agree with the wheelchair user, the cyclists that use the pavement in Limerick are reckless. I've only come across one or two cyclists that have dismounted when it comes to pavements/pedestrian crossings. I dont think that cycling on the pavement is any excuse by some saying its too dangerous to cycle on the road.

Strange how he didn't mention how cars endanger wheelchair users all the time by blocking pavements, forcing wheelchair users out on the road. This happens so frequently that there is a whole campaign out there to address it;

https://twitter.com/MakeWayDay/status/1044581746992246784

'sake Elaine.

Strange how he didn't mention how cars endanger wheelchair users all the time by blocking pavements, forcing wheelchair users out on the road.

Also didn't mention what type of road vehicle was involved in the tragic event that put him in a wheelchair in the first place. I'm guessing wildly that it wasn't a bicycle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Duckjob wrote: »
    Also didn't mention what type of road vehicle was involved in the tragic event that put him in a wheelchair in the first place. I'm guessing wildly that it wasn't a bicycle.

I somehow guess it possibly wasn't a hooligan cyclist.

When I came from hospital and was for some months physically disabled, it was really brought home the numbers of lazy or ignorant motorists who left their blocking the footpath, so at least the nose / tail of their car could be one the driveway with other household cars. Would the other cars get lonely?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I know all too well about cars parking on footpaths impacts people, but Limerick can be pretty bad for cyclist user etiquette.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭LeoD

Mc Love wrote: »
    I know all too well about cars parking on footpaths impacts people, but Limerick can be pretty bad for cyclist user etiquette.

Limerick's street network's sole focus is to satisfy the needs of motor traffic. This is from the 'Limerick Metropolitan District Movement Framework Study' from a few years ago:

5.4.3 City centre cycle network
    There are no elements of the cycle network within the city centre at present. Features such as advance cycle stop lines (ASL’s) or cycle lanes, etc. are not present at junctions within the city centre, but are present on many of the approach routes. The one-way system in place around the city centre is also problematic for cyclists as these routes carry heavy traffic flows, and there can be increased incidents of overtaking and speeding, etc.

So if some cyclists use a footpath, it's because the only other option is to follow some indirect, longer, dangerous, one-way route that has been designed specifically for people sitting in cars. The article in the Post is just more click-bait nonsense that will continue to hamper any chances of Limerick, or any other city, moving away from car dependency and developing a sustainable transport system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

CramCycle wrote: »
    I wonder could they train one or two of the parents in as Lollipop people. They would have the legal right to stop traffic and make it safer as well as legal to facilitate such a bus. It shouldn't be needed but, well, you know yourself.

This is a really great idea. In fact, even better, have parents take turns being "lollipop lady".

Council-employed traffic wardens are low in status. If parents thought they were about to potty-mouth the parent of another child, they would certainly be more mannerly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Trump approves tariffs on Chinese goods including $1 billion in bike products, effective next Monday
    Matt Moore, QBP's general counsel and a BPSA board member ... said he specifically asked that helmets be exempted. "That's good news. At least we did something," he said.

At least helmets are still sacred... :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Rechuchote wrote: »
    This is a really great idea. In fact, even better, have parents take turns being "lollipop lady".

Council-employed traffic wardens are low in status. If parents thought they were about to potty-mouth the parent of another child, they would certainly be more mannerly.
    If true, is disgraceful, they have as much right to halt traffic as a Garda or a Farmer and more importantly they are there to protect one of the most vunerable sections of our community.

Legally though, they have the right to stop traffic and passing by when they have signalled to halt is 5 penalty points and a 120quid fine. Fit them with Go Pros, get them the training. It would sort alot of people out very quickly.

A quick fold up lollipop stick could be used by them bunnyhopping past the children between junctions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

Certainly true; our two local schools seem to attract particularly scofflaw parents.

Yes, a GoPro, and perhaps the lollipop could double as a pogo stick or scooter or both?

(How do I get rid of that nasty red icon beside my userid, by the way?)

zell12 wrote: »

It's the mentality you get when you build an infrastructure almost entirely around cars. And yet some of these very people getting up to this nonsense say cyclists are the "entitled" ones :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Shane Ross announces €400,000 funding to tackle cyclist safety in Dublin city

http://www.thejournal.ie/shane-ross-announces-e400000-funding-to-tackle-cyclist-safety-in-dublin-city-4261890-Sep2018/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement