Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism and cycling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

The main thing that's needed as a result of this case is a total redesign of the terrifying Burlington turn so that it becomes impossible for buses to swing around fast as they almost always do now.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,259 ✭✭✭✭zell12

"Should cyclists wear cameras to catch motorists?"
    coming up on Pat Kenny Newstalk between now and 12

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭Macy0161

It bothers me how much emphasis there seems to have been on hi vis and helmet and I can't help but think the verdict might have been different if she had not been wearing one of those things.
    Would it have even made court? Actually it was cycling guard that attended wasn't it? I'd actually wonder whether if it wouldn't have been "a tragic accident" if it was a normal cop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Macy0161 wrote:
    Would it have even made court? Actually it was cycling guard that attended wasn't it? I'd actually wonder whether if it wouldn't have been "a tragic accident" if it was a normal cop.

I think he was present and witnessed it. Being a garda was coincidental no?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Grassey wrote: »
    I think he was present and witnessed it. Being a garda was coincidental no?
    Ah, ok, I misinterpreted as him being a gardai on the bike beat rather than just being on a bike. Added more weight to the witness.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

out of curiosity, does anyone know who would have paid for the driver's defence? is this something dublin bus would provide, the driver's union, or does the driver have to pay for his own defence?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Melodeon

zell12 wrote: »
    "Should cyclists wear cameras to catch motorists?"
    coming up on Pat Kenny Newstalk between now and 12

This is coming up now, after the current advert break.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,232 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

A piece coming up on Pat Kenny after the break asking should we encourage cyclists to record their journeys in order to keep safe on the road. I'm not holding up much hope that he doesn't turn it into a ROTR/helmet/highvis/'road' tax **** show.

edit: zell12 well in there before me, my stream must be well delayed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Ah, ok, I misinterpreted as him being a gardai on the bike beat rather than just being on a bike. Added more weight to the witness.
    he was on official garda duty, but does not appear to have witnessed the incident:
    Garda Michael McHugh testified that he was on mountain bike patrol on the night when he came on the scene of the bus stopped in the centre of the road.

Hurrache wrote: »
    I'm not holding up much hope that he doesn't turn it into a ROTR/helmet/highvis/'road' tax **** show.

Well that didn't take long.

• Advertisement

Ah Pat... registration plates...

Ah ffs, it's not turned into registration plates for bikes. Kenny slips into this every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,259 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Grassey wrote: »
    Ah Pat... registration plates...
    "Nobody is talking about registration plates for pedestrians"

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Cuffe comes across well, Pat turning it into an us vs them talk. Apparently as a group all cyclists blame all motorists and vice versa.

The internet appears to have broke when Pat blamed architects for no footpaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭tommythecat

CramCycle wrote: »
    Cuffe comes across well, Pat turning it into an us vs them talk. Apparently as a group all cyclists blame all motorists and vice versa.

The internet appears to have broke when Pat blamed architects for no footpaths.

HA! I thought that was just my wifi!!

4kwp South East facing PV System. 5.3kwh Weco battery. South Dublin City.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

You've pretty much covered my intentions. His tactic was to muuddy the victim and try sling as much blame as he could on her, bringing up how some cyclists don't cycle by the rules, the whole cyclists vs bus drivers thing (only one reason bring it up and then ask the jury to ignore it), how lights start to fade on cyclists bikes, and if somehow the helmet was going to prevent serious injury or death in a bus vs bike accident, and so on.

I know his job was to defend his client, but his defence was to attack the cyclist first and foremost.

I was the juror on a rape and sexual assault trial where he was defending. He did similar then. They all do. It's their job. It's horrible. But every victim receives similar treatment from the defence.

Jesus Christ, the comments he's reading out. Someone even asked about where the legislation is to keep cyclists within a certain distance of the kerb.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

out of curiosity, does anyone know who would have paid for the driver's defence? is this something dublin bus would provide, the driver's union, or does the driver have to pay for his own defence?

In any case where the defendant is facing potential prison time the defence is paid for by the State through the free legal aid scheme. That is subject to a means test but you would want to be very wealthy to be in a position to fund your own defense, once you are facing a jury trial, so outside the district court legal aid would very rarely be refused on the basis of means.

zell12 wrote: »
    "Nobody is talking about registration plates for pedestrians"

A serious facepalm moment at my desk on that one (as it only applies to 'road space users'). I was almost tempted to text in and ask where on a horse (or other livestock) would it be appropriate to attach a plate? Or should we just go with branding.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Surprisingly Nick didnt have the cyclist on the line to give their view

https://twitter.com/LBC/status/1055378248346021889?s=20

• Advertisement

Full clip here:

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/moment-cyclist-smashes-56000-mercedes-with-his-bike-in-road-rage-fury-a3970106.html

Interesting to note that Nick Ferrari is anti-cyclist. Chaffeur was in the wrong lane and then cuts off the cyclist

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Kop Idol

Jesus Christ, the comments he's reading out. Someone even asked about where the legislation is to keep cyclists within a certain distance of the kerb.
    Found myself pointlessly shouting at the radio at some of the comments. Someone seriously commented that "they have a camera in their car to protect them from cyclists" !! Another comment about how "their daily life was being threatened by cyclists"...from the interior of a metal box weighing a tonne ?! Or "cyclists texting while riding"...ffs, pot/kettle. Or even the person who complained about cyclists swerving around holes/drains without looking behind them as motorists were trying to pass them ?! Hint....maybe if you were 1.5m out from them in the first place, it wouldn't be such an issue ?! </rant> :angry:

Mc Love wrote: »
    Full clip here:

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/moment-cyclist-smashes-56000-mercedes-with-his-bike-in-road-rage-fury-a3970106.html

Interesting to note that Nick Ferrari is anti-cyclist. Chaffeur was in the wrong lane and then cuts off the cyclist

Being discussed on LBC now

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

Macy0161 wrote: »

Dont think you did misinterpret. Think reports said that Garda was on mountain bike patrol and I do think its significant that it was he (a garda cyclist) who )shot back at the "some cyclists misbehave" with "so do some drivers"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Surprisingly Nick didnt have the cyclist on the line to give their view

https://twitter.com/LBC/status/1055378248346021889?s=20

I watched the full video first and thought both men came across as ars3h0les.

Then I listened to the call from LBC, got as far as "I'm a professionall driver, what am I supposed to do, wait behind a truck turning right?" and decided the driver is the bigger ars3h0le.

Also why do all the headlines quote the cost of the car? If it was a €2000 Micra would they deem the cyclists actions are ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Full clip here:

Did the cyclist really need to make a big deal about the driver in the incorrect lane. Yes it’s a pain and maybe dangerous had he been alongside the car and making a line for the kerb, but the cyclist was a good bit ahead and decided to get all righteous about something he didn’t need to bother with. This just aggravated the situation. Hard to tell what happened alongside the car, sounded like the car got a thump. Then cyclist got overly aggro with the finger pointing. To me he was just out looking for a confrontation and it all could have been very easily avoided.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Did the cyclist really need to make a big deal about the driver in the incorrect lane. Yes it’s a pain and maybe dangerous had he been alongside the car and making a line for the kerb, but the cyclist was a good bit ahead and decided to get all righteous about something he didn’t need to bother with. This just aggravated the situation. Hard to tell what happened alongside the car, sounded like the car got a thump. Then cyclist got overly aggro with the finger pointing. To me he was just out looking for a confrontation and it all could have been very easily avoided.

You agree its dangerous , but feel that the cyclist did not need to make a big deal?

Chiparus wrote: »
    You agree its dangerous , but feel that the cyclist did not need to make a big deal?

Way to quote out of context pal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Chiparus wrote: »

Try read the post again.

But actually, now that you bring it up, even IF he had been alongside the car like I said in the other post, ****ing your bike into the front of car is a scummy move and I can’t believe he’s getting defended by anyone.

This sort of stuff:
    https://twitter.com/johnbaker1975/status/1056848720720003072?s=21

• Advertisement

Try read the post again.

But actually, now that you bring it up, even IF he had been alongside the car like I said in the other post, ****ing your bike into the front of car is a scummy move and I can’t believe he’s getting defended by anyone.

This sort of stuff:
    https://twitter.com/johnbaker1975/status/1056848720720003072?s=21

I would take a guess that there are very few drivers who would watch this and and be more courteous/considerate to cyclists afterwards. The guy on the bike was a twat looking for a row. Sure the driver was in the wrong lane but they both cleared the junction without incident and the cyclist started mouthing off at the driver. The driver then seems to respond by pulling in on top of the cyclist which is obviously a crazy move which could result in killing someone but there are a pair of them in it and the final act of picking up the bike and bouncing it off the car is a massive over reaction. I'd imagine the cyclist is a bit of a bully in every day life as you can see him growing in bravado when he realises the driver is not reacting to having a finger pushed in his face.

Two people.
    One who drives.
    One who cycles.
    Both are cúnts.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement