Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism and cycling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,078 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Did the cyclist really need to make a big deal about the driver in the incorrect lane. Yes it’s a pain and maybe dangerous had he been alongside the car and making a line for the kerb, but the cyclist was a good bit ahead and decided to get all righteous about something he didn’t need to bother with. This just aggravated the situation. Hard to tell what happened alongside the car, sounded like the car got a thump. Then cyclist got overly aggro with the finger pointing. To me he was just out looking for a confrontation and it all could have been very easily avoided.

So we're supposed to wait until we are actually endangered until we say anything? Finger pointing isn't 'aggro' - it is finger pointing. The cyclist didn't threaten him, didn't seem to swear at him, just communicated with him that it was a bit of fairly crap driving. There is nothing bullying about confronting a crap driver like this. From the driver's response, it seemed like it wasn't the first time someone had a go at him about his lance discipline.

It could all have been easily avoided if the driver had stayed in the right lane instead of being a smart-ass queue skipper.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

So we're supposed to wait until we are actually endangered until we say anything?

I just dont like the idea of cyclists going around trying to enforce the law when something happened 15ft behind them. Like I said, annoying, but not worth getting stressed over.
    Finger pointing isn't 'aggro' - it is finger pointing.

The finger pointing absolutely is aggravating. So you have a run in with some guy on the road and he starts shoving his finger in your face and you're telling me you wont get aggravated, during an already heated situation?
    The cyclist didn't threaten him, didn't seem to swear at him, just communicated with him that it was a bit of fairly crap driving.

He called him a F**king Pr*ck on numerous occasions
    It could all have been easily avoided if the driver had stayed in the right lane instead of being a smart-ass queue skipper.

Correct, or if the cyclists just kept cycling instead of looking out for someone to have a go at.

Look, there's **** road users everywhere using every means of transport. What method could that cyclist have possibly used to result in the driver going "Hmm, ok, good point, I best not do that again". The answer is none. Maybe the police seeing it and fining him would have impact, but one dude on a bike isnt going to change his mind no matter how he communicates.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Did the cyclist really need to make a big deal about the driver in the incorrect lane. Yes it’s a pain and maybe dangerous had he been alongside the car and making a line for the kerb, but the cyclist was a good bit ahead and decided to get all righteous about something he didn’t need to bother with. This just aggravated the situation. Hard to tell what happened alongside the car, sounded like the car got a thump. Then cyclist got overly aggro with the finger pointing. To me he was just out looking for a confrontation and it all could have been very easily avoided.

So we're supposed to wait until we are actually endangered until we say anything? Finger pointing isn't 'aggro' - it is finger pointing. The cyclist didn't threaten him, didn't seem to swear at him, just communicated with him that it was a bit of fairly crap driving. There is nothing bullying about confronting a crap driver like this. From the driver's response, it seemed like it wasn't the first time someone had a go at him about his lance discipline.

Didn't swear at him? Turn up your gearing aid and watch the video again pal.

And pushing your finger in someone's face is aggressive. If you routinely did this to people it wouldn't be long before you got a clip on the jaw in return

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Yes but then the driver swing in on him, doesn't matter what was said or done before that point. It's the equivalent of you calling me an asshat and me responding by attempting to clip your skull with a club hammer.

You shouldn't call me an asshat but I should live with it.

I just dont like the idea of cyclists going around trying to enforce the law when something happened 15ft behind them.
    Talking to another road user isn't 'enforcing the law'. The cyclist doesn't get to fine him, or lock him up. He just talks to him.

Look, there's **** road users everywhere using every means of transport.
    True enough. Though there's only one means of transport that kills (in the UK) 4 or 5 people each day, or (in Ireland) 3 or 4 people each week. It's not cyclists.

Maybe the police seeing it and fining him would have impact, but one dude on a bike isnt going to change his mind no matter how he communicates.

The driver could have done it outside the police station, with police cars in front and behind him, and the coppers wouldn't have done anything. They just don't get involved in this stuff, certainly not here in Ireland.

But you're right, one dude on a bike isn't going to be enough. We need more dudes on bikes to step up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

CramCycle wrote: »

True, but if I go around calling people asshats a lot for very little reason, I’ll pikely aggravate the wrong person. Agree the driver shouldn’t have swerved in, hadn’t noticed it as much until rewatching the video, but I still don’t agree with the cyclist having a go at the driver at the start of the video.
    But you're right, one dude on a bike isn't going to be enough. We need more dudes on bikes to step up.

I’m the first person to rant about how rules aren’t enforced and have had plenty of traffic watch reports go unreplied to, but do you really think if every cyclist starts “having words with” motorists is going to create an improved cycling experience?

I’m the first person to rant about how rules aren’t enforced and have had plenty of traffic watch reports go unreplied to, but do you really think if every cyclist starts “having words with” motorists is going to create an improved cycling experience?
    Yes, absolutely. Same as training dogs or training children or managing staff - when they do something wrong they have to get negative feedback.

Ignoring the problem certainly isn't doing much to improve the situation.

Do you reckon that if every time a driver took out their phone and started texting, a cyclist appeared at their window and told them to put it away, every feckin time, within 30-60 seconds, would that create an improved cycling experience?

Yes, absolutely. Same as training dogs or training children or managing staff - when they do something wrong they have to get negative feedback.

Ignoring the problem certainly isn't doing much to improve the situation.

Do you reckon that if every time a driver took out their phone and started texting, a cyclist appeared at their window and told them to put it away, every feckin time, within 30-60 seconds, would that create an improved cycling experience?

Wouldn't improve my experience I'd be stopping to knock on windows every 2 minutes on certain stretches :D

Wouldn't improve my experience I'd be stopping to knock on windows every 2 minutes on certain stretches :D

Indeed, though this also highlights the scale of the problem that needs to be dealt with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

Felexicon wrote: »
    I would take a guess that there are very few drivers who would watch this and and be more courteous/considerate to cyclists afterwards.

What a bizarre comment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭jjpep

CramCycle wrote: »
    Yes but then the driver swing in on him, doesn't matter what was said or done before that point. It's the equivalent of you calling me an asshat and me responding by attempting to clip your skull with a club hammer.

A thousand times this. I was going to respond earlier but didn't because when I didn't want to look like an internet hardman. The one time this happened me I.e. someone swung in front of and then got of their car and came towards me shouting, I acted in self defense and struck the guy. Called the guards and had them come to the scene and didn't allow the other guy to leave. Initially the guards took a dim view of my actions but later after reviewing the video that I had, I wasn't charged and the other guy got a caution.

For me, from the moment he swung his car in front of me to block me off, I considered that I was under attack. I completely emphasise with the cyclist here. This is such an aggressive maneuver to be on the receiving end of, and then to have some one come towards you - whom you have no idea of what they're going to do next. The driver should consider himself lucky it was only his car that was damaged - not every ones flight or fight instincts are the same. The next time he tries that with someone he may be the one getting hit and not his car.

Rechuchote wrote: »
    I would take a guess that there are very few drivers who would watch this and and be more courteous/considerate to cyclists afterwards.

What a bizarre comment.

It's really not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

It's really not.

It really is. Why should any driver decide, on the basis of a video of strangers, his attitude to a whole group of commuters who choose a particular form of transport?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i think that's what Felexicon was saying?

Interesting, non-intuitive findings about older drivers - personally, I'd prefer to see regular retesting of driving skills for ALL drivers, regardless of age

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/medical-tests-for-drivers-over-70-should-be-ended-says-traffic-medicine-expert-37466513.html

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

There should definitely be re-test every 5-10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭JMcL

Interesting, non-intuitive findings about older drivers - personally, I'd prefer to see regular retesting of driving skills for ALL drivers, regardless of age

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/medical-tests-for-drivers-over-70-should-be-ended-says-traffic-medicine-expert-37466513.html

Strange article. He talks about replacing the cert with "self certification" then goes on to talk about drivers with "mild dementia or cognitive impairment". I wouldn't have thought the two would be exactly compatible.

Retraining and retesting should definitely be applicable across the board however - from a practical perspective it should probably be linked to points or certain classes of offense, and it should be non-discretionary. Passing a theory test should be mandatory to renew a license however. The idea that you can go on your merry way based on what rules were in place 30, 40, or 50 years ago is a joke - completely aside from those that just got a license handed to them (1980 and pre 1964)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭Macy0161

JMcL wrote: »
    Passing a theory test should be mandatory to renew a license however.
    I think this should be the rule rather than an actual driving retest. Re-enforce the laws and rules of the road. Anyone with a class above B, that means every 5 years.

Although, yearly driver CPC seems to have done feck all for our "Professional" drivers...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,668 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

From BBC News

Cyclist Paul Gallon jailed after riding into ex-girlfriend and partner

Newcastle Crown Court heard Gallon's three-month relationship with Ms Blake had ended five weeks before the attack.

After seeing her and her new partner walk past the shop where he worked, Gallon gave chase on his mountain bike and rode into them at speed as they were walking along Esplanade Place.

This was a guy, who was not actually cycling when he became enraged but who then got on his bike and used it as a weapon. If he had not had had a bike to hand, I expect that he would still have attacked the couple.

Seems a very misleading use of the noun cyclist in the title.

From BBC News

Cyclist Paul Gallon jailed after riding into ex-girlfriend and partner

This was a guy, who was not actually cycling when he became enraged but who then got on his bike and used it as a weapon. If he had not had had a bike to hand, I expect that he would still have attacked the couple.

Seems a very misleading use of the noun cyclist in the title.

Clicks before truth pal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭radia

BBC report on rewards for cycling (or walking) in Bologna: The city that gives you free beer for cycling

App to accumulate points that can then be redeemed in multiple local businesses. Seems pretty successful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Delighted they will still be around. I've bought from them quite a few times. With Wiggle buying up other companies, it's good to have some competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,232 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭circler

Aren't Sports Direct the crowd who treat their workers terribly?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,668 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Hurrache wrote:
    Australia for you

First comment..."I'd have awarded him a medal"

Could the cyclist bring a civil case against the driver in such an instance?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Hurrache wrote: »

€1000 is a joke. Driver should be up for attempted murder.

I think as long as state authorities continue to abjectly fail in protecting their vulnerable road users against psychopaths in cars, there's going to be more angry incidents like that recent video of the guy throwing his bike up on the car.

Not justifying the guys actions in that bike throw video, but the more frustration builds among cyclists at the idea that people can wield a 2 tonne weapon at you like in this video, and not face any sort of proper justice, the more I think we are likely to see people lashing back in anger.

circler wrote: »
    Aren't Sports Direct the crowd who treat their workers terribly?

And then some. From a selfish point of view if you buy from them do some research on whether or not they own the brand you are buying from them. If they own it avoid it, some once decent brands are now pure crap under their ownership especially when it comes to footwear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Hurrache wrote: »

Shameful. That's a country with mandatory bike helmets. It strongly suggests a country where the cyclist is meant only as someone who has to get out of the way of the driver, a bit like here really, in fact a lot like here, and with a similar policy of a meme provision for cyclists, for some local authority bureaucrat to look Green.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Shameful. That's a country with mandatory bike helmets. It strongly suggests a country where the cyclist is meant only as someone who has to get out of the way of the driver, a bit like here really, in fact a lot like here, and with a similar policy of a meme provision for cyclists, for some local authority bureaucrat to look Green.

It really isn't a lot like here. Ireland is a great place to cycle. Australia is not.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement