Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism and cycling

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Chuchote wrote: »
    So if you want the bollards, they better make sure there is signs all over the place about them and are painted a very bright color.

I would hope that would be so, yes - easily visible and well signposted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

Grassey wrote: »
    Having seen regular occurrences of cars using the segregated lane from Churchtown to Dundrum, driving at speed in the new lanes in Blackrock (thinking it's a 3rd driving lane...), plastic lane divider poles bent and broken hours after being installed, I think full on metal walls and lanes too narrow for cars is the only thing that would work at the expense of making the cycle less appealing
    I think after a certain bedding in period those things should diminish.

Part of the problem is that we have such little and such poor cycling infrastructure that people just don't know what they're looking at and it's easy to make a bad decision in an instant.

NiallBoo wrote: »

Part of the problem is that we have such little and such poor cycling infrastructure that people just don't know what they're looking at and it's easy to make a bad decision in an instant.

This is so true.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,768 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

NiallBoo wrote: »

I remember running after a woman driving the wrong way up Inchicore Road to warn her she was heading into danger. She thought the two-way cycle track was a normal traffic lane. Despite being coloured red, bisected by a white line and having bicycle symbols painted on it. When I caught up with her, it was pretty clear that she really had just assumed she could drive that way. Think she took a wrong turn coming out of one of the estates.

Owen Keegan, seemingly trying to get drivers to rear up against Dublin City Council road changes -

http://www.herald.ie/news/new-traffic-management-plans-will-make-it-impossible-to-drive-on-certain-city-streets-keegan-35326836.html
    'New traffic management plans will make it impossible to drive on certain city streets' - Keegan

goes off into a rant about 'cyclists'

The good news first:
    But he believes that more measures are needed, such as additional capacity on bus and rail. This will be difficult though due to limited financial resources. Mr Keegan also said that more cycle paths are needed which will require "difficult choices" in terms of traffic movements, and measures to encourage cyclists.

Enthusiast

"If you look at the high-quality segregated cycle lanes in place on the canals, they're congested. Where you provide good quality, you get the committed enthusiast and 'ordinary' people," he said.

"Difficult choices will have to be made. The north quays was key in that. We looked at all kinds of options. We decided to bite the bullet and give priority to buses, cycling and a really good walking environment.

"We could have significant traffic calming so that the levels are such that cyclists feel comfortable and safe. There are cities which are so traffic calmed it works. I would, absolutely (see the cycle path being extended to the IFSC).

…and then, weirdly, he goes into an anti-cyclist rant:
    "A constant issue raised is the poor behaviour of cyclists.

"As someone who cycles, I see it every day. Whatever about cyclists putting themselves in danger, they have a huge disregard for pedestrians. The lack of mutual respect among all road users is a problem."

"They"…

• Advertisement

Deedsie wrote: »
    I think he is referring to rule breaking, dangerous cyclists there. And I would agree with him completely. "They" are a pain to have to deal with as a pedestrian, cyclist or motorist and they give us all a bad name.

The numbers for "They" (as a pedestrian, cyclist and public transport user) are dominated by dangerous, bullying drivers; these aren't the people he cites, though, or the people constantly cited for blame.

It's dog-whistle stuff, like talking about Jewish moneylenders.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Keegan is a cyclist himself
    It's dog-whistle stuff, like talking about Jewish moneylenders.
    tommy.gif

When Keegan starts this anti-cyclist rant someone will always say "Keegan is a cyclist himself". He may cycle, but he repeats the anti-cyclist nonsense ad infinitum.

And yes, it's the same as the 'Jewish moneylender' thing - not in the sense that millions of cyclists are going to be butchered, but in the sense that it targets a group of people who don't have any similarity to each other, and claims they all act in the same reprehensible way.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

But you're doing the exact same thing yourself! He's not anti-cyclist. He's simply a cyclist who doesn't agree with you on everything.

There's plenty I don't agree with Owen Keegan about, but that doesn't mean I see him as akin to some anti-semitic propagandist.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,050 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

But you're doing the exact same thing yourself! He's not anti-cyclist. He's simply a cyclist who doesn't agree with you on everything.

There's plenty I don't agree with Owen Keegan about, but that doesn't mean I see him as akin to some anti-semitic propagandist.
    When someone is speaking in their official capacity in a public role, it is not unreasonable to expect them to be balanced. So something like "it bugs me when I see cyclists scooting through traffic lights, though I understand that they don't kill people" or similar would have been great.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭endagibson

Deedsie wrote: »
    they give us all a bad name.
    So a chap cycling on a footpath in Dublin 2 gives a old woman returning home with her shopping in Sutton Cross a bad name. How does that work? :confused:

But you're doing the exact same thing yourself!

Nope

Keegan is a cyclist himself
    So what?

It's an absolute giveaway that there's an attack on people who use bicycles coming. It's such a cliche that it's made it to the bicycle bingo card.

Capture.jpg

If he really didn't mean it, then he needs PR lessons. This is the sentence that he should have started with:
    "The lack of mutual respect among all road users is a problem."
    Or maybe he just doesn't realise that he's made his own commute more dangerous through his own words.

When someone is speaking in their official capacity in a public role, it is not unreasonable to expect them to be balanced. So something like "it bugs me when I see cyclists scooting through traffic lights, though I understand that they don't kill people" or similar would have been great.

I don't think it's in any way an unreasonable thing to say in his official capacity. He probably would have also gotten grief if he said he didn't have a problem with law breaking cyclists.
    Nope

Fair enough. I tried.

I don't think it's in any way an unreasonable thing to say in his official capacity. He probably would have also gotten grief if he said he didn't have a problem with law breaking cyclists.
    He could try not speaking about it since it is irrelevant to the topic of the article which is congestion in Dublin and the plan for dealing with it. Is it any wonder that the general public can't separate the thought of people using bicycles from RLJers when "friends" like this exist.

If Mr Keegan has such a taste for self flagellation, I suggest that he do it at home.

He had many more middle-ground options, other than what he said or the words you're suggesting.

We'll have to agree to disagree.

A road rage attacker has been ordered to pay £10,000 compensation to a cyclist he pushed off his bike, fracturing his shoulder and leg.
    Michael Gibbins saw red when the cyclist, who was in front of him, went into the middle of the carriageway to cross a narrow bridge in a country lane.
    Frustrated Gibbins (52), a self-employed driver, then drove his Mercedes "intimidatingly close" to the cyclist, who was proceeding in a proper manner and had returned to the left side of the road.
    Tony Stanford, prosecuting, told Leicester Crown Court: "The defendant lowered the passenger window and shouted something, with animated waving of his hands.
    "He pulled up ahead of the cyclist and opened his door as he was passing. A witness said it looked as though the driver was deliberately trying to knock the cyclist over as he passed.
    "The defendant then accelerated away and stopped further down the road.
    "He got out of his vehicle and ran at the cyclist and either shoulder-barged or pushed him, knocking him off his bike, causing him to fall heavily on the floor."
    The defendant stood over him and said he should not have been "mouthing off".

Oh dear. What happened next?
    The victim, who was physically fit and active and had 40 years of experience as a cyclist and a keen runner, suffered a fracture of his right shoulder and a broken upper leg, near his hip, which needed an operation.
    He was in hospital for more than three weeks and off work for two months.
    He is no longer able to pursue his sporting activities, such as cycling 1,200 kilometres a year, and now walks with a limp, because the injured leg has been left shorter than it was.
    Mr Stanford said: "It caused him extreme pain for many weeks and he is still undergoing physiotherapy.
    "It's going to have long term consequences."
    And what about the chap driving the car?
    Leicester, admitted inflicting grievous bodily harm, on the afternoon of Sunday, May 8.
    He was given a 16 month jail sentence, suspended for two years, with 210 hours of unpaid work.
    He was ordered to pay £10,000 to his victim within 12 months, as well as £250 court costs.
    Any explanation as to why he did it?
    "He's a cyclist himself and that's why he felt able to remonstrate with the cyclist."
    Ah. That's all right then. :rolleyes:

Taken from here. HT to @beztweets.

Already a thread about this, but the phrasing of the report is interesting:

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/government-minister-hospitalised-after-being-hit-by-car-while-cycling-35335733.html
    A Government minister is being treated in hospital after being struck by a car while cycling.
    Communications Minister Denis Naughten was cycling along side his wife Mary just outside Roscommon town today when he was hit from behind.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,582 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

“I have never seen any justification or evidence for it,” he says. “They usually say: ‘He is not doing his job.’ Mainly it is because I am involved in other portfolios.

That's ok then. As long as you're interfering in someone else's work while you're not doing your own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Off to work around 10am? Well for some, no wonder the bus flew in and was almost empty, let's see how he gets on during the morning rush hour on a wet day, like the rest of the proles.

That tweet may be the most transport-related work he's done since he took office last summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I wonder if this will give rise to any shake up of cycling safety? Theres 3 reasonably senior fg's who cycle, (Enda & Ciaran Cannon) that I know of

Not directly cycling-related except that we share the roads with these people, but The Irish Times's lead today is chilling:

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/almost-8-000-multiple-ban-drivers-still-behind-wheel-rsa-1.2926993
    There are almost 8,000 drivers on Ireland’s roads who have multiple concurrent disqualifications on their licences but continue to flout the law by driving

The RSA’s research analysis revealing the extent of the problem threw up some startling figures. At the end of 2015, there were on record a total of 41,713 disqualifications applied to 22,674 drivers, suggesting a high level of non-compliance and multiple bans.
    The research, which was based on a survey of the National Vehicle and Driver File, a database of the State’s 2.6 million drivers and 2.5 million vehicles, and the RSA’s own administration of driver licences, found that banned drivers are responsible for killing between 11 and 14 other people every year.
    Every month, of the 150 summonses, on average, issued by the Garda to drivers without a licence, 30 per cent are to drivers who are already banned…In the 18 months after January 1st, 2015, 700 professional drivers were banned, but more than 100 of them also received fixed-penalty notices, indicating that they continued to drive despite their disqualification.

Also a sensible letter in The Irish Times today:

http://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/letters/breaking-the-law-while-driving-1.2926810
    The solution to drivers who are either over the alcohol limit, using their mobile phones while driving or driving without insurance? Confiscate their licences and then confiscate their cars.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,582 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Not directly cycling-related except that we share the roads with these people, but The Irish Times's lead today is chilling:
    i read recently that the garda traffic corps is operating at just over half the headcount they had at the peak. couple this this a lack of any decent technology (whose fault that is is left for another debate) and it's not surprising that people flout the law.

sure they don't even use technology like registered post to send out speeding fines summonses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

I'd say confiscate their cars first - cut out the risk at source. Driving without a licence means nothing and the chances of being caught are fairly slim.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement