Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism and cycling

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

unless of course it is specifically meant to read 'following on from last night's RSA 'now you see me' episode...'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

given that they seem to have managed to insert their logo into the first line of the apology, i suspect it was hastily thrown together.

https://twitter.com/coliegestudent/status/911775291491659776?s=21

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

oh, my sides.
    Commenting for this article, the Department of Transport said: “Given the statutory role of the RSA in advising on and informing policy, it is both necessary and appropriate that their views be sought on changes in road traffic legislation
    https://irishcycle.com/2019/03/06/ross-spent-e45000-to-second-guess-varadkar-on-cycle-lanes/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

I'm just wondering who the cycling forum should submit our invoices to?

Also, it's been said before, but wouldn't it be nice if the dept of transport had a few less parking spots available for their staff?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,070 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

check_six wrote: »

Also, it's been said before, but wouldn't it be nice if the dept of transport had a few less parking spots available for their staff?
    How many parking spots do they have?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

• Registered Users Posts: 17,943 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

ED E wrote: »
    66 cases for the whole city in 2018 makes bike lanes a viable alternative to paying for parking in the city tbh, you'll never be caught at that rate.

Cyclist in Dublin Bus crash: ‘I was extremely lucky’
    Bill Murphy was hit from behind by a Dublin Bus after driver fell unconscious at the wheel
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/cyclist-in-dublin-bus-crash-i-was-extremely-lucky-1.3816730

not specifically about cycling, but:

Cars are killing us. Within 10 years, we must phase them out
    https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/mar/07/cars-killing-us-driving-environment-phase-out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Thargor wrote: »
    66 cases for the whole city in 2018 makes bike lanes a viable alternative to paying for parking in the city tbh, you'll never be caught at that rate.

A little over one a week...jesus wept. You'd get 66 in a day through Rathmines alone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,070 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Thargor wrote: »
    The 66% reduction over previous years has to be intentional, presumably a direct two fingered response to their lack of action being called out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

The 66% reduction over previous years has to be intentional, presumably a direct two fingered response to their lack of action being called out.

Two fingered to Justice Charleton?

Kildare gardai asked to monitor cyclists use of footpaths
    CONCERN
    https://www.leinsterleader.ie/news/home/368429/kildare-gardai-asked-to-monitor-cyclists-use-of-footpaths.html

i had to paste that subhead in, it's as stupid as the rest of the article.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Kildare gardai asked to monitor cyclists use of footpaths
    CONCERN
    https://www.leinsterleader.ie/news/home/368429/kildare-gardai-asked-to-monitor-cyclists-use-of-footpaths.html

i had to paste that subhead in, it's as stupid as the rest of the article.

"Garda tells councillor exactly what he wants to hear so they can finish the meeting and get the uppity nutbag to F O home for a cuppa tea". Later the Super would clarify that he had no intention of dedicating resources to a non existent issue but would happily tell the councillor that they had at the next JPC so he has something to report on his door to door calls and at local RA meetings.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

He also noted there was often “no bell, no helmet or no high viz”.
    Aah now, shoot the feckers :eek:
    Chief Superintendent Brian Sutton responded that the phenomenon was often a precursor to people having their mobiles snatched from them by people on bicycles.
    Where is the facepalm smiley?

'joe, let's go snatch some phones'.
    'i can't, paddy, i don't have enough practice cycling on the footpath yet'.

Even had a dig at the pesky copy-cat foreigners.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

Even had a dig at the pesky copy-cat foreigners.

Yea, so presumably Naas garda station has logged several reports on Pulse re mobile phone theft of pedestrians by pavement-cycling, non hi-viz wearing, non-helmeted foreigners? Should all become clear so when the annual crime stats come out:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Yea, so presumably Naas garda station has logged several reports on Pulse re mobile phone theft of pedestrians by pavement-cycling, non hi-viz wearing, non-helmeted foreigners? Should all become clear so when the annual crime stats come out:rolleyes:

Anti-cyclist retoric combined with casual racism - class

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

More on the Cllr Moore story...
    Naas-based Cllr Seamie Moore (independent) was criticised today after making comments on cyclists on footpaths when he voted against cycling projects which would likely solved the issue, according to a rival local election candidate.
    “We would not have this issue in Naas if this councillor would stop voting against all cycle schemes in Naas in the last few years.

COUNCILLOR COMPLAINING ABOUT CYCLISTS ON FOOTPATHS ALSO VOTED AGAINST SOLUTION, SAYS RIVAL

The comment below the article is also quite interesting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,657 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Unreal stuff, especially this bit
    The council also clearly states leeway is given on many routes to drivers who only park illegally for a short period.

“In a significant number of cases parking (illegally) is a result of motorists making quick purchases in local shops and then returning to the vehicle, typically within a few minutes,” it says.

This presented “particular difficulties” for enforcement crews because at times drivers return to their vehicles before the enforcement is completed.

And in other cases a balance must be struck between the obstruction caused by brief illegal parking and the disruption that would be caused by clamping a car and so ensuring it stays in a location where it is causing an obstruction.

The balance must be struck because the illegally parked vehicle would be “moved within a couple of minutes when the motorist returns from the local shop”.

“Under normal circumstances enforcement crews will usually take a zero tolerance approach to enforcement of these offences on primary routes to and from the city,” it says, which clearly implies tolerance for short periods of illegal parking is extended on non primary routes.

Basically if you are on a non-primary route then parking in bus lanes is perfectly fine according to DCC traffic enforcement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

We do have a weird relationship to illegal parking. Passed a 151 car in a dlrcc parking space today. A mountain of tickets under the wiper going back to the start of Feb. No tax or insurance. 200m from the Garda station in Blackrock. And a notice affixed this morning advising of 7 days notice before the car is towed.

I mean come on! A car abandoned for 6weeks in a p&d spot before action is taken?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

“In my opinion pedestrians should feel safe on the footpaths,” he remarked to the JPC.

“It’s an increasing problem,” he said, adding that he had “no problem” with small children on bikes if accompanied by a parent.
    so he has no problem with some people breaking the law, as long as somebody older than them is with them. Wonder if he has an age limit.

I have no issue with most kids, but I see many older teenagers and adults flying along footpaths in my estate which are a serious danger. Toddlers can easily run out of a driveway.

The Road Safety Authority says children under 12 should cycle on footpaths rather than the road, and, when former transport minister Paschal Donohoe introduced fines for cycling offences, he said he was purposely excluding cycling on footpaths from the system of fines.
    Did the RSA really come out condoning/advising breaking the law? I have seen some odd stuff lately but thought they would not go this far. I have seen some local authorities wrongly saying they could, but seemed they were looking at foreign laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Anyone else watch the now you see me show just now? They were pointing towards using a light with a built in siren to act as a bell. Am I correct in thinking these are not legal in Ireland?
    93. (1) Every pedal cycle (other than a cycle constructed or adapted for use as a racing cycle) while used in a public place shall be fitted with an audible warning device consisting of a bell capable of being heard at a reasonable distance, and no other type of audible warning instrument shall be fitted to a pedal cycle while used in a public place

• Registered Users Posts: 11,916 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Unreal stuff, especially this bit

Basically if you are on a non-primary route then parking in bus lanes is perfectly fine according to DCC traffic enforcement
    how long does it take to ticket a car?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

how long does it take to ticket a car?

It actually takes no time at all, council just have to photo the tax disc, no need to clamp and put a sticker on the window. A bit of foresight would have Traffic Wardens with ANPR device linked to tax and NCT. Take the photo, apply the fine and for any car with outstanding fines, gets a tow truck called immediately..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

I really don't understand why there aren't more traffic wardens. They pay for themselves. Put them on electric bikes and they can cover huge areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

axer wrote: »
    Anyone else watch the now you see me show just now? They were pointing towards using a light with a built in siren to act as a bell. Am I correct in thinking these are not legal in Ireland?

Yes, you are correct

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

axer wrote: »

You're right but its telling that the legislation you quote dates from 1963 when Dublin still had horse-drawn vehicles! Not sure what the census of those years would show re number of cars v number of bikes but I'm guessing the airwaves weren't awash all day with car ads. In other words time for DTTAS to move with the times!

Cars have a loud horn to warn of danger, imo no harm for bikes to have the same. In either case horns are not supposed to be used to vent frustration or disapproval.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

You're right but its telling that the legislation you quote dates from 1963 when Dublin still had horse-drawn vehicles!
    doesn't matter how old or "out of date" it sounds. The RSA and that program have been totally & utterly ripped apart for getting the law/advice wrong before.

Once bitten twice shy? seemingly not with those complete morons. Seriously, what in the fcuk is wrong with these freaks?!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement