Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism and cycling

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,582 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    No fine's for cycling on the pavement:

Police-won-t-punish-cyclists-riding-pavement
    i'm always amused that the only 'newspaper' website blocked by the proxies in work is the daily mail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

to be fair, i can see his point.

Yeah… on the other hand a five-foot-wide tarmac trail isn't surely going to have a huge huge environmental impact.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,582 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

PaulieC wrote: »
    makes you wonder is this level of non-compliance/lack of follow up by the gardai prevalent in areas outside the area of road offences?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Chuchote wrote: »
    Yeah… on the other hand a five-foot-wide tarmac trail isn't surely going to have a huge huge environmental impact.

Putting one there might though. The path itself probably will have little or no impact on the area. Placing it there might, would like to have a look at the report first though. I say this as someone in favour of it.

• Advertisement

CramCycle wrote: »
    Putting one there might though. The path itself probably will have little or no impact on the area. Placing it there might, would like to have a look at the report first though. I say this as someone in favour of it.

Yyyyeah… maybe. If it were a road, deffo. But a cycleway maybe less so.

Chuchote wrote: »
    the path itself, maybe not. i suspect it's the construction phase which has the greatest impact.

the path itself, maybe not. i suspect it's the construction phase which has the greatest impact.

Ahhh, yes. Hadn't thought of that.

By the way, met a Carlow man in Lidl yesterday and he was telling me there was some beautiful cycling country around Burris (sp?)

a nice grassy river path is more scenic than a tarmaced one too.

sounds like he was talking about borris. which is on the barrow.

a nice grassy river path is more scenic than a tarmaced one too.

sounds like he was talking about borris. which is on the barrow.

Yeah, Borris, that's it. He said there's a lovely way between Borris and New Ross, I think.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Not sure where else to put this.
    Coming up on Newstalk with Pat Kenny - Should cyclists & pedestrians have mandatory hi-vis at night?

dear god. i won't be tuning in for that.

i can just picture the scene; mass arrests in temple bar at pub closing time as people exit the pubs wearing nothing safer than their jumpers.
    though that raises the question about how the gardai would be able to see them to arrest them.

dear god. i won't be tuning in for that.
    Surely you are not suggesting that Pat Kenny does not conduct a balanced discussion on cyclists?
    Who knows, cars and buses will be mandated to wear hi-vis too :cool:

i can just picture the scene; mass arrests in temple bar at pub closing time as people exit the pubs wearing nothing safer than their jumpers.
    though that raises the question about how the gardai would be able to see them to arrest them.

And what about the gardaí - will they be the ones in the navy-blue uniforms with no hi-viz?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,768 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

It's a funny world. These morning radio shows alternate, often within the same hour, between promoting healthy lifestyles and denormalising them.

When Operation Transformation is included, it's both simultaneously.

http://www.thejournal.ie/luas-lines-oconnell-street-cyclists-3195969-Jan2017/?utm_source=twitter_self
    'A serious accident waiting to happen' - cyclists not happy with Luas lines on single lane O'Connell Street
    A NUMBER OF cyclists have spoken of their experiences of falling from their bicycles while traversing the Luas Cross City works on O’Connell Street in Dublin city centre.
    At the GPO, the street is currently reduced to one lane, shared by mostly buses and cyclists, with the Luas tracks, not yet in use, running down the centre.
    Cycling alongside in-service Luas tracks can be hazardous as one or both wheels can easily become trapped in the rails’ grooves. That is exactly what has happened to many people in recent weeks.

The comments!!! #headdesk #deadifnotwearinghelmet

snubbleste wrote: »
    Coming up on Newstalk with Pat Kenny - Should cyclists & pedestrians have mandatory hi-vis at night?
    Eamonn Ryan and Pat Kenny :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

According to the Irish Independent there is a "major battle brewing" over Waterways Ireland's plans to turn the Barrow towpath into a blueway (A greenway that runs alongside a body of water).

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/major-battle-brewing-over-controversial-plan-for-115km-cycle-path-on-river-35389268.html

Here's more info on the Barrow Blueway (which sounds amazing): http://www.waterwaysireland.org/barrow-towpath-development

we were discussing that about ten posts back.

• Advertisement

we were discussing that about ten posts back.

I didn't see it, so it must have been fake news. My link is correct though.

The Belfast Telegraph is currently running an online poll asking "Should Belfast get 80 miles of new bike lanes?"

You know what to do: http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/poll-should-belfast-get-80-miles-of-new-bike-lanes-35392285.html

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,381 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

If we do get mandatory hi viz introduced will that lead to border controls to check no-one gets into the country disguised as a workman on a bike? It would have the added benefit of keeping out any Nordies not displaying the right cycling garb....

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

snubbleste wrote: »
    Eamonn Ryan and Pat Kenny :rolleyes:
    You need high some sort of safety measures in place with him about. He broke the law with illegal election posters all over my area, and was well aware of it, I had emailed him before about it during previous elections, and the council confirmed all parties got the rules.

I saw a child narrowly missed as they walked out onto the road to avoid one of his posters, which was below the safety guidelines set out by the council and so deemed litter. This was at a traffic lights used by primary school kids, ruthless scumbag putting people at risk for his own gain. It was so low it was blocking the view of small children on the path.

Reported him to the gardai and the council. No reply from himself, the council did get back and had removed a lot of illegal and dangerous posters but had limited resources. These hypocrites make my blood boil the worst was Ciaran Cuffe though, vermin, no shame or remorse for what he did.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Tell us what you really think.

Deedsie wrote: »
    What drives me mad is when they just leave the old cable ties either on the pole or just as litter on the ground.

Each politician should be given colour coded cable ties every election they stand in to identify them if they leave their cable tie litter on poles or on the ground.

Or each party - green for FF, blue for FG, orange for SF ;) brown for Greens, red for AAA, pink for PBP, black for whatever that Nazi party's called, white for indies.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭PaulieC

It's not just politicians. There is still some Ironman signage up around the Merrion Gates and I've seen at least two Run in the Dark posters still up recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Deedsie wrote: »
    Each politician should be given colour coded cable ties every election they stand in to identify them if they leave their cable tie litter on poles or on the ground.
    Just ban them, they have proven time & time again to be utterly irresponsible in the placement of them.

If there had never been any tradition of election posters and some party suggested having them in the next election it would be a laughable proposition, no way in hell would it be thought to be acceptable.

Imagine the proposer actually being honest and saying "look, here's an artists impression of what it will look like, I think its a fantastic idea"

image.jpg

these ones designed to look like traffic signs are outright illegal, regardless of local county council rules. Mary Lou aiding in this illegal act. the other mindless scumbag seems not to value her own safety either.
    sinn-faeins-lynn-boylan-and-mary-lou-mcdonald-make-a-point-of-removing-posters-in-the-wake-of-the-20_160176_.jpg
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1961/act/24/section/95/enacted/en/html
    (14) A person shall not provide any such sign, device, notice or light as is not a traffic sign if, on provision thereof, it is visible from a public road and—

(a) it is capable of being confused with a traffic sign,

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

rubadub wrote: »
    these ones designed to look like traffic signs are outright illegal, regardless of local county council rules. Mary Lou aiding in this illegal act. the other mindless scumbag seems not to value her own safety either.
    Labour had these as well, and put up at corners, under traffic lights, beside other road signage. Certainly worth petitioning local councils to see would the ban them, although I doubt it will happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Are we missing the obvious solution here people? I'm sure you'll be familiar with this one.

Make all election posters hi-vis with reflective text. Use that lake of day-glo paint that is sitting in Mayo or wherever and put it to good use.
    Also, now all pedestrians and cyclists will be required to wear bike helmets and goggles by law at all times.

A simple solution to a complex problem!

No, I will not be taking questions from the floor.
    *turns on heel and stalks out of press conference*

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement