Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism and cycling

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭jjpep

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Hook has finished his dictator Panini sticker albums and put them in alphabetical order. Time for a new challenge:

http://www.thetricolour.com/Articles/183/News/politics/George-Hook-to-address-Irexit-Limerick-Conference-on-political-correctness/l4524182/

He really is the pits. Also, I don't believe his sincere and just sees this as an 'opportunity'

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

It’ll just be hima and a dozen other nutters at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Reads like a headline from Waterford Whispers News

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

The irony of Delores Cahill being the chairperson of Irexit when her entire career has rested almost solely on the support of EU grants.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,070 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

jjpep wrote: »
    He really is the pits. Also, I don't believe his sincere and just sees this as an 'opportunity'
    You'd be tempted to show up for George's speech wearing the tightest lycra cycling shorts and jersey, carrying helmet and pump and sit eagerly in the front row.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Latest from @vizcomic
    DyqchWMXgAA8OUq.jpg:large

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

CramCycle wrote: »
    The irony of Delores Cahill being the chairperson of Irexit when her entire career has rested almost solely on the support of EU grants.

Is she the DC of the Conway (Twitty) Institute?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Imagine Shane Ross endorsing this! :D
    gntm-helm-motive.jpg
    Stern.de Guardian.com

I see a transplant of a long stream of posts in the near future ...

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Since when did red nail polish save anyone's life?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭buffalo

Lumen wrote: »
    Since when did red nail polish save anyone's life?

I for one am going to start wearing a bra on the bike. If it saves one life...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

De Bhál wrote: »
    Reads like a headline from Waterford Whispers News

"Irexit, freedom to prosper" - em, how's that test case / template in the UK working out then? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

buffalo wrote: »

Yeah, also "if the MTB visor bothers you that much, take it off! And ask Raam how to dress properly".

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

...only if it is high-viz!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

...only if it is high-viz!
    But lights are better than high-viz!

YoungBlissfulCarp-small.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

Or this

476278.jpg

Current junior Tour of Ireland champ banned for doping violation.

http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/junior-tour-ireland-ricardo-broxham-doping-ban/

17 at the time ffs like.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,510 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

New NZ cycling ad by the NTA equivalent over here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

New NZ cycling ad by the NTA equivalent over here

It looks like it was made by people really passionate about cycling. I enjoyed watching it, as a cyclist. But if I were someone who needed convincing to get out of my car and cycle, I don’t think the lad bucketing sweat, girl with helmet hair and bloke getting saturated in the rain will help all that much.

Ads need to focus on the surprising benefits, like how you can travel X times faster at rush hour, even at a leisurely-no-need-for-a-shower pace, it’s not actually that rainy, you’ll become fitter, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Is it just me or does she need a good bike fit? Position at 25s seems all wrong.

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    Is it just me or does she need a good bike fit? Position at 25s seems all wrong.

Knees hitting her elbows is sure sign.

One sort of interesting thing about that German campaign is that it shows up some other ways in which it's tricky to balance cycling promotion with helmet promotion. They've avoided the common cycling=death route to promote helmets (only just; it's strongly implied), but they've fallen into two other tropes that probably work against cycling uptake: cycling responsibly involves looking "sh1t" as they put it themselves, and most cyclists (in Germany) are basically narcissists.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,070 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Start wearing one? Someone here on this forum told me it was compulsory with lycra a few years back. If I ever find that fecker...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

I always knew bib shorts as a belly bra

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

https://www.rte.ie/news/europe/2019/0327/1038884-eu-speed-cars/

Proposed EU safety regulations.

All new cars are to be fitted with special devices from 2022 to automatically make them keep to the speed limit under EU rules.

Intelligent speed assistance (ISA), advanced emergency braking and lane-keeping assistance are among a range of safety measures which have been given approval by the European Commission.Safety features for European cars, vans, trucks and buses include technology which provides intelligent speed assistance, a warning of driver drowsiness and distraction, such as when using a smartphone while driving, and a data recorder in case of an accident.

They would also be fitted with reversing safety features such as a camera or sensors under the plans.

Devices for lane-keeping assistance, advanced emergency braking and crash-test improved safety belts are also suggested for cars and vans.

The new measures also include improvements to the direct vision of bus and truck drivers and the removal of blind spots.

https://www.qut.edu.au/news?id=141968
    A new Australian study has found that more than half of car drivers think cyclists are not completely human, with a link between the dehumanisation of bike riders and acts of deliberate aggression towards them on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭buffalo

Is this Aussie Waterford Whispers?

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

Wooloomooloolagolong Whispers?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭JMcL

Scarily it appears to be a real article. The paper is here https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S1369847818308593?dgcid=author

Really makes you yearn for a bike packing trip up the Gold Coast!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Australia seems to have a particular toxic driver attitude towards cyclists. Never lived or visited there but some of the stuff you read.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement