Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism and cycling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If AGS just let us upload video of drivers doing it and digitally sign a statement cyclists could easily provide a few hundred FCPNs a week. The TW procedure is too slow.

Or just, like, maybe a few gardai would get out of their cars. No wait, that'll never happen. Forget it.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭the world wonders

Cyclist awarded €64K after bike 'slipped on road with excess sealant'
    Finding both Tipperary County Council and Roadstone Wood Ltd liable, the judge said it seemed to the court they accepted evidence put forward on behalf of Mr Kearney there was faulty workmanship in terms of the original work on the road and the repair.
    good for him, encouraging precedent

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,598 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

that's an interesting development, i do recall a chap whose daughter was killed (a non-cycling accident) in mayo i think, and it turns out the road had been resurfaced, but not with a top dressing grade, but was left as is. i certainly don't recall any hint that he tried/was able to sue.

i wonder if ambulance chasers will be salivating at the notion that everyone who loses control of a car will now try to find a flaw in the road surface rather than it being blamed on their own driving.
    though i guess here the basis for the claim was an act of comission rather than one of omission.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

More interesting is why they decided to fight this, usually these are settled out of court.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

No helmet, no chance if you come a cropper on your bike https://dublingazette.com/dublinlife/cycle-wetwo-28219/ says Dublin Gazette call this a campaign in their paper edition you can see here https://issuu.com/robheigh/docs/fingal_42dbd9a92cea3f?utm_source=2019W15_subscribers&utm_campaign=Digest&utm_medium=email

one of the "vox pops"
    Yes, for their own protection helmets should be compulsory. And it's peace of mind for the motorists that they (cyclists) will not get injured
    this is the main reason I feel safer not wearing a helmet when commuting.

A few months ago I had a loon screaming at me for "cycling on the footpath", I was on a cycletrack. Soon after he swerved in at me presumably to "teach me a lesson", I wonder if he would have come closer if I was wearing a helmet, could be one of those thinking I "would not get injured".

I remember a guy who was bullied a lot in school was the first to get a helmet, bullies loosened his front wheel and he had a crash. I have no doubt they only did this thinking he would be grand if he crashed. Those bullies are likely now driving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

that's an interesting development, i do recall a chap whose daughter was killed (a non-cycling accident) in mayo i think, and it turns out the road had been resurfaced, but not with a top dressing grade, but was left as is. i certainly don't recall any hint that he tried/was able to sue.

i wonder if ambulance chasers will be salivating at the notion that everyone who loses control of a car will now try to find a flaw in the road surface rather than it being blamed on their own driving.
    though i guess here the basis for the claim was an act of comission rather than one of omission.

There is nothing new in this case. Local authorities and their contractors have been found liable countless times over the years.

Not sure why an injured motorist qualifies as an ambulance chaser but cyclist gets a free pass.

The reason it didn't settle are probably to do with other reasons than a technical liability argument; Plaintiff was looking for too much, Defendants couldn't agree, there are a load of similar claims and they used this as a test case, the money man was on a day off and solicitor couldn't get instructions etc etc

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,598 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

There is nothing new in this case. Local authorities and their contractors have been found liable countless times over the years.

Not sure why an injured motorist qualifies as an ambulance chaser but cyclist gets a free pass.
    i did not know there were precedents for motorists claiming similar, i thought the general rule was that the driver is ultimately responsible for driving to the conditions, even if that includes poor road surfaces.

and the ambulance chaser comment was about the law firms who would take on spurious cases, rather than the drivers themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

i did not know there were precedents for motorists claiming similar, i thought the general rule was that the driver is ultimately responsible for driving to the conditions, even if that includes poor road surfaces.

and the ambulance chaser comment was about the law firms who would take on spurious cases, rather than the drivers themselves.

Many years ago, I claimed from Meath County Council for damage to an alloy wheel on my car. My wheel was damaged when I drove into a badly repaired pothole. There was no way, that I could have seen the pothole and I was able to prove that it had been improperly repaired.

Lots of people have recoeved compensation for damage to vehicles due to potholes for example.
    https://www.theaa.com/breakdown-cover/advice/pothole-damage-how-to-claim

Chiparus wrote: »
    Lots of people have recoeved compensation for damage to vehicles due to potholes for example.

Pothole claims are misfeance; the repair was substandard.

Claims for defective surfaces are primarily on basis that the construction work/road building was not in compliance with code; using aggregate with too low PSV, inadequate road texture depth, etc etc

There's a reason local authorities keep these types of company very busy

http://www.pms.ie/home/4567161770

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭zurbfoundation

http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/prisoner-compensation-bike-crash/

Trying to figure out why such an emphasis is being placed on the victims criminal past, current incarceration and drug addiction. These all get mentioned in the report before any details of the accident are written about. As much is written about the details of a past crime as the accident in queation itself.

If this website wanted to do a piece about a cyclist compo case, why not the previously mentioned one in Tipperary where the lad slipped on the frosty fresh tar. The award was over 3 times higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Whatever about the character of the complainant, the value of compo awards in Ireland is insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,070 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Pothole claims are misfeance; the repair was substandard.

Claims for defective surfaces are primarily on basis that the construction work/road building was not in compliance with code; using aggregate with too low PSV, inadequate road texture depth, etc etc

There's a reason local authorities keep these types of company very busy

http://www.pms.ie/home/4567161770
    What is the Code in question? Is there any standard for smoothness or levelness of a road repair?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

They really need to follow suit of France (I think) where small injuries that are covered under the HSE are simply not getting a pay out, end of.

Christ, quick google indicates a sprained wrist could reap over 25K in a payout. That is insanity,

Chiparus wrote: »
    yep, to vehicles; i was curious as to how many people have received damages for injuries sustained, or how many accidents have been laid at the foot of the councils or subcontractors.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭zurbfoundation

I get that / but the owner of the sprained wrist isnt having personal details irrelevent to the case as the main meat of the story.

What is the Code in question? Is there any standard for smoothness or levelness of a road repair?

http://www.dttas.ie/roads/publications/english/guidelines-managing-openings-public-roads-2017

That's specifically dealing with reinstatements.

On general major road building "The design manual for roads and bridges" is the main core reference. It's a copy and paste of UK guidance

I get that / but the owner of the sprained wrist isnt having personal details irrelevent to the case as the main meat of the story.
    It's click bait, it adds a bit of outrage to the easily annoyed that someone they feel is less deserving of a payout, gets a payout. Nothing else. They'd get less click baits if the report was injured person gets payout after hit and run. Victim was middle aged, no criminal record and most people who have met them describe him as an all round nice guy. He himself said he felt guilty that the amount was so large as all he wanted was money for the few days off work and a new front wheel but when he said this, the solicitor said he wouldn't take it unless it was a personal injury claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,070 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Thanks. They seem to be more about the process and materials to be used than any particular standard or outcome, as far as I can see. There doesn't seem to be any particular measure of how smooth or level any given reinstatement has to be. Or am I missing something?

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/bike-lanes-that-allow-cars-too-close-for-comfort-09b9z09ll

Painted cycle lanes, .................not sure study findings would agree with the headline.

• Advertisement

i don't want to post a link to any articles from the mail here, but here's today's front page:

IRISH-MAIL-ON-SUNDAY-PAGE-ONE-14.4.19.jpg

i don't want to post a link to any articles from the mail here, but here's today's front page:
    Hardly surprising Delaney didn't give up the UEFA job, probably thought no one would notice based on his behaviour over the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Dublin Cycling guy was just on Newstalk talking about stolen bike figures, toaster racks, underground apartment storage steals

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭Qrt

When bad quality stands are mentioned, are we talking about bad quality Sheffield stands or bad stands in general?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭buffalo

Qrt wrote: »
    When bad quality stands are mentioned, are we talking about bad quality Sheffield stands or bad stands in general?

I imagine it's more like this sort of thing, where it's nearly impossible to lock frame and wheel, and there's very little to prevent the bike being pushed over and wheels bent:

ebr-main_main_2.jpg

We had similar in my old apartment block. Someone just cut through the stand to steal a bike, never mind about the lock.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,232 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

zell12 wrote: »
    Dublin Cycling guy was just on Newstalk talking about stolen bike figures, toaster racks, underground apartment storage steals

Any mention of the launch of www.bikeregister.com in Ireland? According to the Sunday Times yesterday it's now open to Irish users, although not yet officially launched. Gardai won't be official partners but are expected to use it.

I'm not convinced that unless its use is part of stolen bike recovery procedures within the Gardai it won't be hit and miss and down to individual Gardai, workload depending.
    While bikeregister.com is used by every police force in the UK, gardai do not endorse or promote private companies and will not be official partners. However McLoughlin, a former garda, said the service would be available to them. Gardai do engage with other private services, such as Apple’s Find my iPhone.

“They promote crime-prevention initiatives and properly marking your bike,” said McLoughlin. “Our policy is that the market will come to the guards. A garda uncovers a bike and, if he sees that it’s marked, he can engage with ourselves if he wishes to find the owner.”

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭De Bhál

speaking of crappy bike stands, this came up on Twitter the other day.
    I'm a bit confused as to where the bike lock is though as I can't see it on the wheel.

Crap bike stand though - these types of stand are designed by people who don't cycle bikes.

https://twitter.com/TimmyHammersley/status/1117152325355831296

• Registered Users Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭homer911

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-47933984

What sort of system locks the brakes on when travelling at speed??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

homer911 wrote: »
    https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-47933984

What sort of system locks the brakes on when travelling at speed??

Trains and trucks do if the air-brake system loses pressure.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement