Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism and cycling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

In addition, I'm no fan of the poster-pocalypse that comes around at election time, but even I would stop short of naming the people who put the posters up 'ruthless scumbags'. I think I'd reserve that appellation for someone holding much less 'ruth' and much more 'scum' by general consensus.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Possible cycling bashing on Joe Duffy later. We can but hope! :D

https://twitter.com/Liveline_RTE/status/824180121754013698

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

snubbleste wrote: »

In advance of this afternoons show:

- they don't wear hi-vis or a helmet
    - they've no driving licences
    - they're not taxed / insured
    - they hold up traffic
    - they should be in single file
    - they cause danger on the roads
    - they've no NCT
    - they're a menace
    - they should have registration plates
    - they should not be on the roads
    - the should not be on the paths
    - they should be on the paths

yada, yada.......

Have I missed anything?

Are they just looking for people who have come a cropper on the new luas tracks? Hopefully they sympathise rather than blame them for falling off.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

check_six wrote: »
    I would stop short of naming the people who put the posters up 'ruthless scumbags'.
    what would you call them? I am not talking of people putting up legal posters in sensible places. Some will blame illegal placement on their employees, no excuse in my book. The ESB issued warnings many times, all over the media, yet they still put them up causing fire hazards, the "publicity before public safety" party were the worst for this in my area.

What would you call the person/people who purposely designed a poster which is illegal due to the road traffic act, premeditated distraction of drivers mimicking road signs, people will end up not seeing the legit warnings.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Pinch Flat wrote: »

- they hold up traffic
    - they've no NCT
    - they're a menace

yada, yada.......

Have I missed anything?
    Its a bit risky playing drinking games at work but its been a long day so far....

rubadub wrote: »
    what would you call them? I am not talking of people putting up legal posters in sensible places. Some will blame illegal placement on their employees, no excuse in my book. The ESB issued warnings many times, all over the media, yet they still put them up causing fire hazards, the "publicity before public safety" party were the worst for this in my area.

What would you call the person/people who purposely designed a poster which is illegal due to the road traffic act, premeditated distraction of drivers mimicking road signs, people will end up not seeing the legit warnings.

Well, what they're doing is not right, but I suppose somewhere between 'misguided and poorly judged' ranging out to 'deeply cynical' would cover it. I would gauge a 'ruthless scumbag' as someone along the lines of a gangland hitman, that kind of thing. Some dude with a stepladder and cable ties wouldn't fall into that category in my estimation. Perhaps you just have a different scale of descriptive language to me.

check_six wrote: »
    Perhaps you just have a different scale of descriptive language to me.
    Yes, very much so, if you call deliberate calculated dangerous illegal activity to be "misguided".

The "dude with the ladder" is usually not the one asking for the sign to be designed to look like a regulatory warning sign.

Though these 2 scumbags probably had a say in it.

7234436250_d2d94cdec3_b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

- they hold up traffic
    - they've no NCT
    - they're a menace

yada, yada.......

Have I missed anything?

You forgot the lights!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,050 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

The ESB issued warnings many times, all over the media, yet they still put them up causing fire hazards, the "publicity before public safety" party were the worst for this in my area.
    Were there many poster fires in recent elections?

Just FYI, the person who put up the poster originally is not necessarily the person responsible for the final position of the poster. There is a traditional game of jockeying for position on the pole and moving the other guy's stuff out of the way.
    Have I missed anything?
    Just one;
    - they don't kill people.

• Advertisement

Sorry if I offended ............
    MOD VOICE: Please keep it civil and improve the tone of language used. Everyone

Were there many poster fires in recent elections?.
    I don't know. This is from 10 years ago

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/elections/election-posters-could-be-deadly-esb-warns-26289419.html
    POLITICIANS could be putting people's lives in danger by placing election posters on electricity poles, the ESB warned last night.
    Only hours after the poster blitz got under way, an election poster blew on to the electricity network's wires causing a blaze in Dublin's Leixlip.
    "They could be putting lives in danger by doing this," the ESB's Kevin McDermott said.

"We have warned politicians to refrain from placing posters on the wooden ESB poles or pylons."
    The ESB said the fire on Old Hill Road on Sunday night had resulted in the pole being burnt down, and service cut off to two houses overnight.

In the last election, service bosses confirmed that in a single night there were three separate power cuts in Howth, north Dublin, due to fires caused by election placards going on fire. "There are safety issues with putting them up the poles, the electricity can jump," Mr McDermott said.
    A spokesman for Dublin Fire Brigade confirmed officers were called to put out five blazes after the full-colour posters were set or went on fire on the first night of the campaign.

This article from last year speaks of a fire and how the new plastic posters are worse. It infers it could have been started by vandals, this is why councils have height restrictions.
    In the last election a new type of poster had been introduced and when it went on fire, it set fire to the pole, he said. “The jury was out” on how the posters went on fire in the first place.

Mr Deenihan said the new posters have a plastic element and on fire, this ignited the creosote (tar or oil-based wood preservative) on the poles, leading to the poles burning down.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/election2016/election2016-news-and-analysis/kerry-town-mayor-in-plea-as-posters-on-esb-poles-a-fire-risk-380140.html

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/elections/election-posters-could-be-deadly-esb-warns-26289419.html

Here is a politician saying people are setting fire to his posters, one was on an ESB pole, so he is deliberately ignoring ESB warnings, regardless of how the fire started. Also sounds like it was irresponsibly low if "Guys walking home from the pub think it's fun to set them on fire."

http://www.herald.ie/news/firemans-election-posters-burned-27992421.html

and he has the nerve to talk about it being ironic!
    it's ironic that they're doing that. I'm calling for efficiencies in the fire service and saying that €100m could be saved, and they're doing this at the same time.

Just FYI, the person who put up the poster originally is not necessarily the person responsible for the final position of the poster. There is a traditional game of jockeying for position on the pole and moving the other guy's stuff out of the way.
    They should be fixed in a way to withstand high winds, and kept out of reach of vandals, this is why many councils have unfortunately had to put out actual guidelines. Many are completely irresponsible in that regard. As this "jockeying" is such common knowledge they should also be actively driving around daily reviewing the status of all posters in case any have been moved -not to do so is completely irresponsible "fingers in the ear, la-la-la" mentality. If they put up adequate posters daily reviewing would not be necessary, e.g. billboards, or in bus shelters, or those solar power bins.

I have seen many which appear to have "fallen down the pole" with no other posters on the pole, but were now blocking or partially blocking regulatory road signs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

Did they get any cyclists on in the end? I tuned in for a few minutes here and there but heard no mention of cycling?

I saw an election poster blazing away years ago on Beech Hill Road near Clonskeagh. The sign was up very high, so I don't think it was vandalism. Actually, looking at it on street view the ESB pole still has big scorch marks on it. The thing was dripping molten blazing plastic all down the pole. The fire brigade were kind of blasé about it when I rang it in.

Never knew it was the electricity being carried overhead that set off the reaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

You forgot the lights!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How remiss of me

"Ah Jaysus Joe dem cyclists with dem big flashin' lights. Me ma is epoplectic and it sends her mad"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭buffalo

Yes, very much so, if you call deliberate calculated dangerous illegal activity to be "misguided".

The "dude with the ladder" is usually not the one asking for the sign to be designed to look like a regulatory warning sign.

Though these 2 scumbags probably had a say in it.

I'm trying to think of red diamond regulatory signs, and failing. A yield triangle, a stop octagon, various rounds ones for speed limits, clearways, etc. No filled in red triangles spring to mind though?

buffalo wrote: »
    I'm trying to think of red diamond regulatory signs, and failing. A yield triangle, a stop octagon, various rounds ones for speed limits, clearways, etc. No filled in red triangles spring to mind though?

There aren't any but it gives the impression of a stop or yield sign to people who are not paying as much attention as they should be. Illegal is the height they hang them and where (on traffic light and other traffic signage polls, often at head height or lower, the ones at Donnybrook crossroads where only 4 foot off the ground). You could argue that motorists should know better than get distracted but they can and possibly do.

Pedant alert:
    Diamonds or squares, not triangles, sorry :pac:

CramCycle wrote: »
    There aren't any but it gives the impression of a stop or yield sign to people who are not paying as much attention as they should be. Illegal is the height they hang them and where (on traffic light and other traffic signage polls, often at head height or lower, the ones at Donnybrook crossroads where only 4 foot off the ground). You could argue that motorists should know better than get distracted but they can and possibly do.

Pedant alert:
    Diamonds or squares, not triangles, sorry :pac:

What rubadub is claiming is that they're designed to look like warning signs. I think they're designed to specifically not look like warning signs (not mimicking any existing signs), while still retaining the red of Labour.

What rubadub is claiming is that they're designed to look like warning signs. I think they're designed to specifically not look like warning signs (not mimicking any existing signs), while still retaining the red of Labour.

I think your both right. They are certainly not like any warning signs in regards shape etc. But in my opinion, they are designed to get the same reaction. They have enough in common with a STOP sign for some people who are not fully focused (even though they should be) on the road. Unlike election posters which you may tune out, the similarity (while minor) is enough to get some people to slow as they may wonder why or if there is a reason for the temporary road sign. I heard several complaints about how easy it was to make that mistake. It may not be the right shape size etc. but enough people seen it that way to make it plausible that it was either intentional or negligent.

They are designed, in my opinion, to look like road signs, with enough difference that if ever called up on it they can easily and plausibly deny it. Kind of like the POLITE signs for horse riders or cyclists. We have Gardai in Ireland but enough people see police and don't think it through for it to have the desired if technically not illegal (impersonating a member of AGS).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

- they hold up traffic
    - they've no NCT
    - they're a menace

yada, yada.......

Have I missed anything?

Could do with a tune, and I think you have a hit on your hands. Suggested edit: the 'yada yada' should be after every two lines?

• Advertisement

Chuchote wrote: »
    Could do with a tune, and I think you have a hit on your hands. Suggested edit: the 'yada yada' should be after every two lines?
    Pink Floyd - Another brick in the wall
    Should do nicely

Glad to see you spent time and effort and are as expected failing miserably -there are none that spring to exact standards in my mind either but it certainly takes time to think it through, which they know people will not do in a split second while driving at high speed. I wonder how many have checklists in their head like this and so are never EVER distracted -laughable stuff/point -"that sign clearly has only 7 sides so I can ignore it, octagon wannabe".

I expect when designing them they discussed with each other, and perhaps lawyers, the max level of imitation they could get away with, just to attempt to weasel out of a court case, just like other dodgy entities like Chinese counterfeit dvds having deliberate spelling mistakes. Or other companies infringing on patents or dubious copying. If coca cola put up signs like this there would be hell to pay.

The law does not state the number of sides or RAL colour of the red etc, it says
    (a) it is capable of being confused with a traffic sign,
    If you want to argue that there is no way it could be confused then fair enough, please go ahead, people should 100% realise your thinking behind this. You forgot to mention most regulatory signs are not held up with cable ties.

I genuinely wondered if you were taking the piss. I doubt many people hurtling along at high speed with other distractions currently in their care are counting the edges to determine if it is 7 or 8 sides on a sign before deciding to pay attention or not. New road signs can be introduced and may not be widely publicised. If you are pedantically honing in on my mention of regulatory signs then fair enough, stupid mistake by me to attract unwanted pendants, they are mimicking important warning signs, which are traditionally in red.

If your party colours happen to be red you should most certainly not use these colours on signs by the road -no excuse, you know fine what you are up to if making signs like this with not even a photo like traditional posters have. They are most certainly mimicking warning signs, the type councils or random builders might put up. The diamond shaping of signs is a more recent thing, certainly mimicing road signs, I never saw election posters anything like the current lot back in the 1980s.

you have got to be taking the piss... if not please say so and I will bother to respond.

you have got to be taking the piss... if not please say so and I will bother to respond.

I'm not. Looking forward to the response!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,582 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

how many people have been injured by these election signs? genuine question.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,050 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I don't know. This is from 10 years ago

This article from last year speaks of a fire and how the new plastic posters are worse. It infers it could have been started by vandals, this is why councils have height restrictions.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/election2016/election2016-news-and-analysis/kerry-town-mayor-in-plea-as-posters-on-esb-poles-a-fire-risk-380140.html

Here is a politician saying people are setting fire to his posters, one was on an ESB pole, so he is deliberately ignoring ESB warnings, regardless of how the fire started. Also sounds like it was irresponsibly low if "Guys walking home from the pub think it's fun to set them on fire."

http://www.herald.ie/news/firemans-election-posters-burned-27992421.html

and he has the nerve to talk about it being ironic!
    So for the hundreds of thousands of posters erected across general, local, European elections and referendums in the last ten years, there has been a handful of fire issues, none of which caused any significant damage.
    As this "jockeying" is such common knowledge they should also be actively driving around daily reviewing the status of all posters in case any have been moved -
    Good luck with that, as they say.

how many people have been injured by these election signs? genuine question.

Sweet FA I would say. My issue is they are an eyesore, and the cables cause flats (which I thought was BS until the last election). They bias in favour of money over suitability. A few people will have been hit in the head by them but not with enough force to do lasting damage in most cases

I've had to swerve out on the road to avoid those diamondy signs getting me in the eye.

Meanwhile, Montana legislators seek to ban cyclists on rural roads:

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest-news/american-state-sets-out-plans-to-ban-cyclists-from-riding-on-rural-roads-308546
    The draft bill will make it illegal for cyclists from all two-lane rural roads without a shoulder or cycle lane running alongside, effectively banning cyclists from a large number of the state’s roads, forcing them onto trails instead.

The bill will also mean that cyclists are not allowed to ride side-by-side, making them to ride in single file no matter how big the group.

The legislation, which also applies to pedestrians, is still being drafted after receiving a mixed response from local people.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Chuchote wrote: »
    I've had to swerve out on the road to avoid those diamondy signs getting me in the eye.

Meanwhile, Montana legislators seek to ban cyclists on rural roads:

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest-news/american-state-sets-out-plans-to-ban-cyclists-from-riding-on-rural-roads-308546

And it's been tossed out the door with a view to being rewritten after those responsible for it discovered "to their surprise" that it would have affected far more roads than they anticipated, but not things like dual carriage ways or the like, just two-lane roads without paving.

http://road.cc/content/news/216273-montana-bill-banning-cyclists-ordinary-two-lane-roads-be-rewritten

Rewritten, but still to be voted on #headdesk #helmetsave

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,768 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I was in rural Montana for a few days once. I can't recall meeting very many motorists on the road, let alone cyclists. Really sparsely populated.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement