Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism and cycling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

jjpep wrote: »
    When it comes to cycling Pat is like one of those fundamental religious people who keep going on about gay people...
    So Pat's a closeted cyclist in denial about his true preferred method of transport? :pac:
    To be fair there's varying degrees of breaking red lights IMO - I just know from my own routes - the Junction at the dodder between Rathfarnham Village & Terenure: Cyclists in the lanes going in or out of town stop at red lights, but before that light goes green, the pedestrian & cyclist light goes green for each of the 4 sides of the junction, so most cyclists go - to most that's red light breaking but it's actually the safest way up the hill on the way to town before the bus lane reappears.
    I always wonder about the legalities of those toucan crossings that aren't directly connected to cycle tracks, if there's an official policy in place at all or does it just depend on who sees you. I remember someone posting about getting stopped at Northwood Ave. in Santry but the Garda let them go again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

To be fair there's varying degrees of breaking red lights IMO - I just know from my own routes - the Junction at the dodder between Rathfarnham Village & Terenure: Cyclists in the lanes going in or out of town stop at red lights, but before that light goes green, the pedestrian & cyclist light goes green for each of the 4 sides of the junction, so most cyclists go - to most that's red light breaking but it's actually the safest way up the hill on the way to town before the bus lane reappears.

Well thats a weird junction as is, as in heading up the hill towards Terenure (and right to Churchtown) both have cycle lights that go green at same time as the pedestrian lights. But from Rathfarnhamside you can't 'join' the cycle lane to use the cross. Such bad design all around there.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Grassey wrote: »
    Well thats a weird junction as is, as in heading up the hill towards Terenure (and right to Churchtown) both have cycle lights that go green at same time as the pedestrian lights. But from Rathfarnhamside you can't 'join' the cycle lane to use the cross. Such bad design all around there.

If the bus connects plan for the area isnt changed you will be able to join it. In the most roundabout and useless way possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Jesus we're resorting to see whether people will walk a number of kms rather than cycle?
    Most people currently are reluctant to walk to a bus stop so I can't see how they'll suddenly walk several kms.
    I'm one of those people. I'm perfectly happy to sit in the car and if there is convenient car park I will use it. But if the distance is walkable I will choose that over public transport. I don't mind trains but buses are devil's invention. When younger I would take short train ride and then walk about 2km each way. I know quite a few who would do similar. It was a little quicker to go on the bus but I thought ut was just too much hassle. I wore heels then all the time.

Even now, if I am in Dublin I take Luas to closest station and then walk. I don't do buses.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Grassey wrote: »
    We need to cater for the triathletes now too!!!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Well not being smart but one of the great benefits of triathlon is that as a form of exercise, it is focussing on multiple different muscle groups; and combines weight bearing and non weight bearing.

As people get older, something they really need to think carefully about is whether the form of exercise they do is sustainable.

And by older, I dont mean in their late 20s/ early 30s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,407 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

meeeeh wrote: »
    Even now, if I am in Dublin I take Luas to closest station and then walk. I don't do buses.

Leap cards and real time apps have changed my view of busses, some routes are a pox and wouldn't use them (looking at you No 18)

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

"The man, whose bike was in a collision with a minibus..."

This is great to see.

Fair play to Garda Traffic.

https://twitter.com/GardaTraffic/status/1124269019438157824

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,596 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i see they've blanked out some of the election posters in that photo.

goddamn GDPR again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭buffalo

i see they've blanked out some of the election posters in that photo.

goddamn GDPR again.

I think the Gardai took it to extremes with their 'good name' posts, this is also bonkers:

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/office-of-data-protection-commissioner-says-gpo-can-keep-their-bins-as-public-litter-is-not-in-breach-of-gdpr-rules-38073828.html
    A spokesperson for An Post issued a statement to the radio programme, detailing their reasons behind the decision.

“All public bins were removed from the GPO.

“Items of a confidential nature like receipts and mail items are often deposited in the bins by customers and visitors in the post office’s main hall.

“This material then technically becomes the responsibility of An Post under GDPR.

“To head off any possible breach of GDPR in the future, An Post decided to remove the bins on a trial basis.”

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,596 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

they did leave alex 'it's good, but it's not good enough' white's mug up on that photo though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Tombo2001 wrote: »

Someone should really do something about all these driverless cars and buses, going off on their own and getting themselves into accidents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭jjpep

So Pat's a closeted cyclist in denial about his true preferred method of transport? :pac:

I reckon he has a secret shed with at least 5 bikes in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

TheJak01 wrote: »
    In the first study they say cyclists are inelastic to improvements in infrastructure while pedestrians are elastic to these improvements based on a preference study.

On the other hand, the swift creation of a proper network of cycling infrastructure in Seville led to a very rapid increase in cycling (11-fold increase in a few years was what the newspapers said), and that's fairly good empirical evidence of real decisions, not based on modelling or based on surveys. I would call that a pretty elastic response to improvements in infrastructure.

To be fair, the Seville level of cycling went from 0.5% of journeys to about 6%, so Dublin city centre's response, for example, might not be as strong, because it's already higher than that, but I'm willing to bet a largish network (continuous) would show an elastic response in Dublin.

Red lights should be Giveway for Cyclists IMO at a sensible speed given the conditions and visibility, solve all these red light debates anyway. and let us all focus on the health benefits.

I doubt it.

Cyclist haters gonna hate cyclists.

Even if passing through reds were made legal for cyclists, they would still carry on ranting about cyclists breaking red lights when they "should" stop, (because they have to, then cyclists *have* to as well in their book). It's pathetic dog-in-the-manger stuff.

It's similar to how like they rant now about cyclists not knowing "the rules" and in the same breath talk about not wearing helmets and hi-viz. They're not going to let facts get in the way of a good angry rant.

It's scary on one level, how twisted some peoples minds are towards people on bikes, but on another level its bizarre and almost comical.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

buffalo wrote: »

We've to shred receipts in work that students leave behind

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Duckjob wrote: »
    I doubt it.

Cyclist haters gonna hate cyclists.

Even if passing through reds were made legal for cyclists, they would still carry on ranting about cyclists breaking red lights when they "should" stop, (because they have to, then cyclists *have* to as well in their book). It's pathetic dog-in-the-manger stuff.

It's similar to how like they rant now about cyclists not knowing "the rules" and in the same breath talk about not wearing helmets and hi-viz. They're not going to let facts get in the way of a good angry rant.

It's scary on one level, how twisted some peoples minds are towards people on bikes, but on another level its bizarre and almost comical.

I hate people in the queue beside me in the airport getting served before me, It is a human nature thing.

Chiparus wrote: »
    I hate people in the queue beside me in the airport getting served before me, It is a human nature thing.

I guessing that you don't let that "hatred" develop to a level where you want to stab them in the face though.

As I said previously, people sorely need to be reminded that the licence they have been granted to drive a heavy vehicle on public roads is a privelege and it should be revoked at the first sign of not honouring the responsibility that comes with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,069 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

jjpep wrote: »
    I reckon he has a secret shed with at least 5 bikes in it.

He used to cycle to work in his RTE days.

• Advertisement

Someone should really do something about all these driverless cars and buses, going off on their own and getting themselves into accidents.

Somebody should really tell the Limerick Leader lads that reputable outlets stopped referring to 'accidents' years ago. They are crashes or collisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

He used to cycle to work in his RTE days.

From Killiney?
    Sure it was not a motor bike?

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

I seem to remember seeing him scooting around on one of those stupid BMW mopeds with the full roof.

Ok, maybe not directly cycling related, but-

https://www.rte.ie/news/dublin/2019/0504/1047457-roads-m50-dublin/
    RTE wrote:
    The M50 has reopened after it was closed earlier northbound at Junction 15 Carrickmines in south Dublin after a shower of hailstones caused several collision. (sic)

I just came across this on RTE.ie and thought it was a textbook example of the language used by the media now as a matter of course to de-couple drivers from any level of responsibility for their driving.

Now some will say its just being pedantic over words, but I genuinely think its indicative of a point-blank refusal to actually hold people responsible for their driving on the road, and point the finger of blame where it needs to be pointed.

some hailstones were involved in a collision with some motorised vehicles causing the vehicles to lose control. gardai are investigating the source of the hailstones.

some hailstones were involved in a collision with some motorised vehicles causing the vehicles to lose control. gardai are investigating the source of the hailstones.

Probably weren't even hi-viz hailstones :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Because “The M50 has reopened after it was closed earlier northbound at Junction 15 Carrickmines in south Dublin after several motorists causing collisions due to driving irresponsibly and inappropriately during a hail stone shower” would cause too much outrage.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Probably weren't even hi-viz hailstones :pac:
    87938949b33bc1e3106ed66250fc8a7f.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Bike lanes need physical protection from car traffic, study shows (AU study on a US site, so a mix of metric and imperial stats)
    cars left cyclists the most room on stretches of road with no painted cycle lanes and no parked cars

"Our results demonstrate that a single stripe of white paint does not provide a safe space for people who ride bikes," said Dr. Ben Beck
    So white lines aren't magic and can actually result in closer passes.

• Advertisement

Chiparus wrote: »
    From Killiney?
    Sure it was not a motor bike?
    35-40 minutes from Dalkey into RTE? He certainly used to talk about cycling in.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement