Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism and cycling

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

tomasrojo wrote: »
    I was in rural Montana for a few days once. I can't recall meeting very many motorists on the road, let alone cyclists. Really sparsely populated.

A popular hideout for people on the run and preppers, according to legends; the state motto, according to a joke, is "Montana, It's Where You Know You're Wanted".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

I was in rural Montana for a few days once. I can't recall meeting very many motorists on the road, let alone cyclists. Really sparsely populated.

Five and a half times the size of Ireland and only a million people living there. Pretty empty all right.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

buffalo wrote: »
    I think they're designed to specifically not look like warning signs (not mimicking any existing signs), while still retaining the red of Labour.
    buffalo wrote: »
    I'm not. Looking forward to the response!
    You claim they are specifically designed not to look like warning signs. I take that to mean you think they were genuinely & conciously worried about the possibility it might be mistaken for a road sign, and so took every effort they could not to ensure it would not be mistaken.

I would like to see the meeting where everyone would have agreed this one below does not look in any way like a warning sign. The law wording is "(a) it is capable of being confused with a traffic sign,"
    ?width=630&version=2589180
    “traffic sign” means any sign, device, notice or roadway marking, or any instrument for giving signals by mechanical means, which does one or more of the following:

(a) gives information in regard to a public road, including the places to which it leads and the distances to or from such places,

(b) warns persons of danger in relation to a public road, or advises the precautions to be taken against such danger, or both,

(c) indicates the existence of a road regulation in relation to a public road, or implements such a regulation, or both;

I think it looks a wee bit more like a warning sign than say this one.
    3582030647_79a9baa221.jpg

how many people have been injured by these election signs? genuine question.
    I have seen several reports in newpapers, but just like injuries due to say broken bottles, its not going to sell papers or adspace and so the media will not relay stories, not that most would even bother contacting the media. How many people have been injured by cds falling in cars (i.e. distraction), or using mobiles, or being sleepy -hard to find figures.

I have been whipped in the face by left over excessively long ties. It is not just the danger issue I am concerned with, there are several other reasons to stop them -as I said if there had never been posters before I think it would be a laughable proposal to allow them be introduced.

I don't know why the politicians who think its acceptable to have roads looking like this do not propose selling this prime advertisment space all over the country. They could earn a fortune.

General-election-posters-300x209.jpg

Maybe they think its OK to have road signs etc blocked from view "just for a month", but not all year round. In which case they could put up temporary billboards for just a few weeks a year, still huge money to be made.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/solar-powered-bicycle-lanes-sought-for-d%C3%BAn-laoghaire-1.2953575
    Solar-powered bicycle lanes sought for Dún Laoghaire

Councillors in Dún Laoghaire [where else] have called on management to look into installing solar powered, illuminated bicycle lanes, similar to ones currently being trialled in a town in Poland.
    A glowing blue bicycle lane was installed near Lidzbark Warminski, in the north of Poland, last autumn on a trial basis after being developed by engineering company TPA Instytut Badan Technicznych Sp. z o.o.
    During the day, particles in the path called luminophores absorb energy from the sun which then glow a deep blue for up to 10 hours during the night.

By the way, Dun Laoghaire's position as Hipster Central may be tottering: the crowd who run Third Floor Espresso (3FE) have signed up to run a café in the former Brick House, beside the chemist at the Kenilworth end of Harold's Cross. Cycle troops, prepare your flasks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Hook is talking to Olivia O'Leary about the Barrow cyclepath so no guesses where this is going

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

Borderfox wrote: »
    Hook is talking to Olivia O'Leary about the Barrow cyclepath so no guesses where this is going

The Mullichain Cafe?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

dub_skav wrote: »
    The Mullichain Cafe?

Was camping in St. Mullins last year, the guy that runs that is an absolute gent. Chocolate cake to die for :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,582 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Really wish Naughten would give Ross a good uppercut for being such a waste of oxygen.

http://road.cc/content/news/216696-4x4-driver-rammed-cyclist-he-suspected-stealing-his-bike
    A driver who mounted the pavement in his 4x4 and ploughed into a cyclist has been given a suspended prison sentence at Newcastle Crown Court. Kyle Larmouth had heard rumours that Wesley McKenna had been responsible for the theft of his bike and “saw red.”

Chronicle Live (link is external) reports that at around 4pm on September 7, 2015 on Norham Road in North Shields, Larmouth drove across oncoming traffic and mounted the pavement with all four wheels. He dragged the victim for a few metres and the bike for somewhere around 50 metres, before fleeing the scene, weaving in and out of traffic “like some kind of movie police chase.”

McKenna was left with multiple fractures to his face, lost teeth and sustained a broken ankle

Larmouth was given a 23-month sentence suspended for two years, 200 hours unpaid work, a three month night-time curfew, a two-year driving ban and was asked to pay the victim £500 compensation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,768 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

It struck me that the homicidal protagonists of Sightseers would have escaped justice if they had had the good sense to continue murdering people by running them over.

It struck me that the homicidal protagonists of Sightseers would have escaped justice if they had had the good sense to continue murdering people by running them over.

Especially if they could drop an old bike on the ground beside the victim after each attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,768 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Jeremy Vine's version of the road-rage incident carried the day:
    https://twitter.com/CHAIRRDRF/status/826780906216095744

The law is odd where bicycles are concerned; they seem to invoke a kind of parallel universe. If you buy a €1,000 ring for €50 in a pub and are caught with it, I have no doubt that you'll get a substantial sentence. If you buy a bike worth €1,000 for €50, the attitude seems to be "Sure, could happen to a bishop". If you knife someone and kill them, you're likely to have your collar felt; if you use a car to do it, ah, sure what harrum did you mean really?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

This is a new one... A French town has installed speed bumps in the bicycle lane to prevent dangerous overtaking of cars after a cyclist was hit last month...

http://m.leparisien.fr/info-paris-ile-de-france-oise/transports/l-image-la-piste-cyclable-equipee-de-ralentisseurs-05-02-2017-6656574.php#xtor=AD-1481423551

Grassey wrote: »
    This is a new one... A French town has installed speed bumps in the bicycle lane to prevent dangerous overtaking of cars after a cyclist was hit last month...
    I'd ring the police and council saying it appears some malicious vandals have put dangerous objects on the cycle track with the clear intention of injuring cyclists.

Very scary pictures of Wexford club rider's bike and helmet after he was hit from behind; Gardaí still seeking witnesses

http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/photos-show-true-horror-of-club-riders-hit-and-run-crash-in-wexford/
    Ireneusz Bartkow had a very lucky escape last month when he was hit from behind by a vehicle travelling in the same direction as he was cycling.

The father of two, from Poland but living in Ireland and a Glendale CC rider, was out on a training ride after work in Rosslare when he was struck from behind.

The vehicle failed to stop at the scene and Bartkow was left to flag oncoming traffic for help before making his way to a nearby house and calling for help.

16388449_1683890715242603_5328737638633004704_n.jpg

Helmet.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,582 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Chuchote wrote: »
    Very scary pictures of Wexford club rider's bike and helmet after he was hit from behind;
    unfortunately the poor bugger's spine seems to have gotten the worst of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭randomname2005

Wow. Just wow.
    I wonder if any of the anti cycling broadcasters will bring up this which can only be described as attempted murder.

And another incident similar to this in Galway this morning, hit and run on a cyclist.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Wow. Just wow.
    I wonder if any of the anti cycling broadcasters will bring up this which can only be described as attempted murder.

And another incident similar to this in Galway this morning, hit and run on a cyclist.

Unlikely. Even if it was, it would likely be from a victim blaming perspective i.e. riding two abreast so in the way or not wearing hi-vis.

These hit and runs are coming all to common recently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,050 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Chuchote wrote: »
    Very scary pictures of Wexford club rider's bike and helmet after he was hit from behind; Gardaí still seeking witnesses

http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/photos-show-true-horror-of-club-riders-hit-and-run-crash-in-wexford/

16388449_1683890715242603_5328737638633004704_n.jpg

Helmet.jpg

Doesn't quite meet my definition of 'lucky escape'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

Grassey wrote: »

http://m.leparisien.fr/info-paris-ile-de-france-oise/transports/l-image-la-piste-cyclable-equipee-de-ralentisseurs-05-02-2017-6656574.php#xtor=AD-1481423551

obvious response to that would be to take the lane in the narrow road running beside the cycle lane. Certainly that is what I would be inclined to do.

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Unlikely. Even if it was, it would likely be from a victim blaming perspective i.e. riding two abreast so in the way or not wearing hi-vis.

These hit and runs are coming all to common recently.

Don't forget this scumbag, who did the full 'skip the country and get the evidence destroyed' after hitting, running, and killing a man in Kerry:
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2015/0423/696199-shane-fitzgerald-court/

This event could have ended the same way. Despicable to leave someone injured by your actions at the side of the road.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

check_six wrote: »
    Don't forget this scumbag, who did the full 'skip the country and get the evidence destroyed' after hitting, running, and killing a man in Kerry:
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2015/0423/696199-shane-fitzgerald-court/

This event could have ended the same way. Despicable to leave someone injured by your actions at the side of the road.

I hadn't forgotten about that, but I'd forgotten how shamefully lenient the sentence was.

Weepsie wrote: »
    I hadn't forgotten about that, but I'd forgotten how shamefully lenient the sentence was.

Yep. Would (could) it have been any less if he hadn't done a runner after murdering a man? I don't think so. It's almost an incentive to try to get away.

Minister Ross has awoken from his slumber

http://www.rte.ie/news/2017/0208/851002-drink-driving/

He wants drink drivers to lose their licences (Hooray) (don't hold your breath on that one)

and pedestrians to have to wear hi-viz, and also
    New measure to protect cyclists under consideration

A new measure that would make it an offence for motorists to dangerously overtake cyclists is being looked at by officials at the Department of Transport, Mr Ross also said.

"We are looking at a measure, at the moment my officials are to create a special offence for dangerously overtaking cyclists because they do need protection."

we should open a pool based on correctly guessing how many convictions there will be in the first year of the 'dangerous overtaking of a cyclist' offence.

Speaking at the Oireachtas Transport Committee, Fianna Fáil TD Robert Troy suggested that it should be mandatory for pedestrians to wear high visibility jackets for their own safety.

Mr Ross said that he cannot think of any objection to the idea although he said enforcement could be an issue but it is something that should be considered.
    had to check it wasn't waterford whispers or something. Bizarre -I wonder how long he had to think of any objections.

Has such a thing ever even been suggested in another country. I presume it is not in place anywhere as you would have heard about it and seen photos, imagine seeing the likes of grafton street with throngs of people all in high viz.

Mr Ross said that he cannot think of any objection to the idea
    seriously? is he trying to get us to believe he's actually that bat**** dim?

• Advertisement

we should open a pool based on correctly guessing how many convictions there will be in the first year of the 'dangerous overtaking of a cyclist' offence.

Annnnd we have zero, I'll start the bidding at zero, have we one there, one there, gentleman with the cargo bike… no, we have zero, going at zero, going, going…

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement