Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism and cycling

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I can guarantee there's no conspiracy to appease motor advertisers. Very simply "cycling controversies" get clicks and eyeballs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Rise of the Bicycle in Berlin.

Not quite journalism, but came across this earlier some nice visualisations. It's in German, but your browser may/should translate to English.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Grassey wrote: »
    Rise of the Bicycle in Berlin.

Not quite journalism, but came across this earlier some nice visualisations. It's in German, but your browser may/should translate to English.
    I was recently in Berlin and they have a number of Bike rental schemes like the DublinBikes scheme.
    However, one of them called Obike is a company from Singapore which has ceased trading apparently and they didn't have the money to close the business down and remove the bikes from the streets so they're left lying around free for anyone to take - it's kinda weird to see bikes just there with no locks or anything.

https://www.dw.com/en/insolvent-bike-sharer-obike-abandons-bicycles-throughout-europe/a-44634636

https://www.morgenpost.de/berlin/article214822163/Insolvenz-Leihradfirma-Obike-geht-die-Luft-aus.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

I was recently in Berlin and they have a number of Bike rental schemes like the DublinBikes scheme.
    However, one of them called Obike is a company from Singapore which has ceased trading apparently and they didn't have the money to close the business down and remove the bikes from the streets so they're left lying around free for anyone to take - it's kinda weird to see bikes just there with no locks or anything.

https://www.dw.com/en/insolvent-bike-sharer-obike-abandons-bicycles-throughout-europe/a-44634636

https://www.morgenpost.de/berlin/article214822163/Insolvenz-Leihradfirma-Obike-geht-die-Luft-aus.html

Pity they wouldn't just leave them there for people to borrow for free and mend as needed.

Rechuchote wrote: »
    Pity they wouldn't just leave them there for people to borrow for free and mend as needed.

They are! You see them just lying against random buildings. I'm not sure if they were that great that people would try and keep them but they're just lying there.

• Advertisement

The BBC's John Beattie attracts criticism for his "bet you all love cyclists" comment in this tweet...
    https://twitter.com/BBCJohnBeattie/status/1125717762545000455?s=19

The police respond...
    https://twitter.com/WMPRHRT/status/1126080661352341504?s=19

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,596 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

he also needs to understand what 'more than' and 'less than' mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭hesker

Could you ever imagine the day when our police force would respond similarly

• Registered Users Posts: 31,083 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Someone at WMP going deep on the old hashtags there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

I can guarantee there's no conspiracy to appease motor advertisers. Very simply "cycling controversies" get clicks and eyeballs.

It doesn't have to be a conspiracy, any more than any particular newspaper's ownership reflecting the owner's worldview. It's simply the oldest fact in existence: he who pays the piper calls the tune.

• Advertisement

Rechuchote wrote: »
    It doesn't have to be a conspiracy, any more than any particular newspaper's ownership reflecting the owner's worldview. It's simply the oldest fact in existence: he who pays the piper calls the tune.
    The editor is much more important than the owner in this respect. Mostly the owner just wants to avoid going out of business.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Lumen wrote: »
    The editor is much more important than the owner in this respect. Mostly the owner just wants to avoid going out of business.

Correct. I've never heard of a single editor demanding or even hinting at wanting anti-cyclist coverage in order to appease advertisers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

"Chris Boardman calls for end to drivers v cyclists rhetoric as British Cycling reveals two-thirds of bike riders say roads no safer than five years ago": LINK

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,596 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Correct. I've never heard of a single editor demanding or even hinting at wanting anti-cyclist coverage in order to appease advertisers.
    well, directly maybe. in the sense that 'we're running land rover ads, so let's have a scare story about cyclists' is probably nonsense.
    but as the evening standard tweet above shows, they're running anti-cycling stories to sell newspapers/clicks. and the more newspapers they sell/clicks they get, the higher the rates they can charge advertisers.

That's right. It's same reason why so many papers go big on crime or celebrities, because that's what gets the punters in and, by extension, the advertisers. It's kind of like the other way around, i.e. appeasing readers, not advertisers.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,407 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

That's right. It's same reason why so many papers go big on crime or celebrities, because that's what gets the punters in and, by extension, the advertisers. It's kind of like the other way around, i.e. appeasing readers, not advertisers.
    But even then, I reckon The Journal shows that it is possible to resist the mob. The quality of their journalism is about a million times better than the brain farts of the semi-literate mob that comment below the stories.

But even then, I reckon The Journal shows that it is possible to resist the mob. The quality of their journalism is about a million times better than the brain farts of the semi-literate mob that comment below the stories.

They're not really resisting though. They're still getting the mob in. Job done.

you are having a laugh, the Journal is a garbage cut and paste outfit

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement

479817.PNG

the comments section are the best bit of the journal , pretty much every comment is ripping their use of cyclist apart :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

silverharp wrote: »
    the comments section are the best bit of the journal , pretty much every comment is ripping their use of cyclist apart :D

Headline on the Journal has been changed to man on bike...

But even then, I reckon The Journal shows that it is possible to resist the mob.
    amcalester wrote: »

You were saying....

silverharp wrote: »
    you are having a laugh, the Journal is a garbage cut and paste outfit
    Sure, there's a lot of that, but it mostly reflects the state of the industry. I quite like their fact-checkers.

I used to read the IT but I could never forgive them for their idiotic and unthinking cheerleading of the boom. "Paper of record" my arse.

If I was going to buy an actual newspaper it'd probably be the Examiner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

hesker wrote: »
    Could you ever imagine the day when our police force would respond similarly

Garda Twitter: "@johnbeattie I know they're frustrating as we have important things to do. Shhhuuure just do your best not to wobble them on your way past and they'll be grand"

amcalester wrote: »
    was it a triathlete? i bet it was a triathlete.

also, we need to know how many cyclists it takes to pull an ATM out of a wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

was it a triathlete? i bet it was a triathlete.

"The transition from the cycling leg to the bleedin' leggit leg was exceptionally quick, even when you factored in the time they took to set the bike alight. I'd say they qualified for the international toe-rag triathlon event with that transition alone", said a witness.

The indo also refers to cyclist...
    Garda probe underway after cyclist stole cash box from security guard
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/garda-probe-underway-after-cyclist-stole-cash-box-from-security-guard-38094949.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

If only the cyclist had a licence and registration he'd have been caught by now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement