Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism and cycling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Rechuchote wrote: »
    It's possible that this won't happen until all gardaí are required to spend time on bicycles, not at a particular stage of their career but as a regular thing.

This would be no bad thing. The standard of physical fitness of Gardai in general, and senior Gardai in particular is shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,068 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Lumen wrote: »
    Have you had much contact with AGS? :D

Unfortunately yes, I've seen this hostility and preciousness all too often - which is why I've decided that it's time to stop tugging the forelock and start being respectfully assertive.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Is this all over the Guards asking people not to tag them in on twitter when posting pics/vids featuring unobscured reg plates?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Is this all over the Guards asking people not to tag them in on twitter when posting pics/vids featuring unobscured reg plates?
    Not so much the tagging but that they don't want reg plates visible when someone posts pictures of boldness. One of the Garda twitter users claims it is a breach of GDPR, quite incorrectly, I suspect more that it opens up the door to calls that they don't actually respond to reports on twitter. I can see their point as there process needs you to go through the station but they have handled it very poorly. They could have ignored it and / or just messaged the poster and said could you call in and report it, which would have been far more media savvy.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Our cycling Lord Mayor in the news again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

CramCycle wrote: »
    Not so much the tagging but that they don't want reg plates visible when someone posts pictures of boldness. One of the Garda twitter users claims it is a breach of GDPR, quite incorrectly, I suspect more that it opens up the door to calls that they don't actually respond to reports on twitter. I can see their point as there process needs you to go through the station but they have handled it very poorly. They could have ignored it and / or just messaged the poster and said could you call in and report it, which would have been far more media savvy.

Or more to the point they could take the licence number and put it on a watch list, and next time the person parks there (which the same people do all the time: looking at you, my local food producer) snag them and apply a fine and deduct points, and the same again…

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭buffalo

I can't read the full article there, but is this story a repeat or an continuation?

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/lord-mayor-invites-pub-patrons-to-mansion-house-1.3893419
    The Lord Mayor of Dublin invited customers of four pubs from his electoral ward into the Mansion House two weeks before the local elections for “an evening of entertainment, refreshments, food and music”.

Nial Ring – who has already twice exhausted the free allowance of beer allocated to the Mansion House occupant...

If there's a more blatant way to win votes, I don't know what it is. Giving away money?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,596 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

'i just had a few of my mates around for a pissup on the public purse - what's wrong with that?'

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭work

What has this to do with this thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

work wrote: »

Maybe Chips Lovell is likely concerned he might have downed one of his free (to him) 10,000 pints before cycling. Concerned for his health and safety. So a bit connected.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Cyclists protest outside Dáil to highlight 'need for better infrastructure'
    MORE THAN 100 cyclists have staged a protest outside the Dáil this evening to highlight what they say is a need for better biking infrastructure.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,596 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i believe some people on e-scooters turned up to protest the lack of action on creating a decent legal framework around them.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

The anti cyclists whatabottery you see in the journal comments section is just depressing

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Cabaal wrote: »
    The anti cyclists whatabottery you see in the journal comments section is just depressing
    It's like Facebook. You're better off just not reading them!

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭abcabc123123

It's not called the bottom of the internet for no reason.

I would have said there were a lot more than 100 cyclists there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Guardian video article
    http://youtu.be/DBP2LTQxqZ8

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

This should be required viewing, Clockwork Orange-style, for every Taxi Driver and internet comment maker.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭homer911

Anyone catch the program on Channel 4 last night - there was a section dedicated to bicycle safety and close passes/hits, some scary videos..

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

homer911 wrote: »
    Anyone catch the program on Channel 4 last night - there was a section dedicated to bicycle safety and close passes/hits, some scary videos..

No, what was it called? It might be on the 4player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭homer911

Had to look it up "Roads from Hell: Caught on Camera"

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

homer911 wrote: »
    Had to look it up "Roads from Hell: Caught on Camera"

Sound, it's on the player.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Interesting article about how claiming motoring expenses for work are ok but bicycle expenses are not considered ok...

Why the vitriol about my bike expenses won’t stop me cycling for work – MP Matt Western

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I would have said there were a lot more than 100 cyclists there.

Yeah, I was there too, and there were obviously more than 100 there. Maybe it's just hard for some people to gauge crowd size.

A work colleague told me RTÉ had left people with the impression that it was a rally about electric scooters. Didn't see any coverage on RTÉ myself, but this might leave you with that impression:
    https://twitter.com/SamanthaLibreri/status/1128717014623817728

Interesting article about how claiming motoring expenses for work are ok but bicycle expenses are not considered ok...

Why the vitriol about my bike expenses won’t stop me cycling for work – MP Matt Western

I remember the Irish Times had an article about cycling to work that claimed that there would be no more travel-related expenses once you'd paid for the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Yeah, I was there too, and there were obviously more than 100 there. Maybe it's just hard for some people to gauge crowd size.

A work colleague told me RTÉ had left people with the impression that it was a rally about electric scooters. Didn't see any coverage on RTÉ myself, but this might leave you with that impression:

It did. The way they were reporting it was like cyclists there were in support of legalisation of electric scooters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

He who writes the press release controls the angle. The scootists wrote a good press release, Dublin Cycling wrote a meh one, and I don't think Dublin Bikes (who were co-organisers) wrote one at all.

Still, it motivated people for further political action. And the scootists do need their scooters legalised.

IBikeDublin (rather than Dublin Bikes)?

Might be true about the press releases. I suppose there wasn't a specific demand of the rally (maybe to allocate 10% of the transport budget to cycling, which alays gets mentioned at these rallies, as it should be); the point was, I gathered, to remind local and european candidates that the section of the population that votes and also cycles is numerous and engaged.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

IBikeDublin (rather than Dublin Bikes)?

Might be true about the press releases. I suppose there wasn't a specific demand of the rally (maybe to allocate 10% of the transport budget to cycling, which alays gets mentioned at these rallies, as it should be); the point was, I gathered, to remind local and european candidates that the section of the population that votes and also cycles is numerous and engaged.

Yes the message re the 10% seems to require constant repeating for some odd reason! Press Release theory plausible but could it equally be that cyclists protesting is old news by now after several so RTE see it as yada, yada, yada, whereas scooters.....ah there's a whole newclickbaity controversial angle.

So who should IBike and Dublin Cycling invite next time, unicyclists, online skaters, spacehopperists?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

A woman who fell off her bike and hurt her back when it skidded as she cycled near her Tipperary home has been awarded €66,000 by the High Court.
    Her side claimed Mrs Ryan’s injuries were not caused by the council’s failure to repair the laneway, but rather by alleged negligent design and construction which it was claimed created a nuisance.

Can we start claiming that most cycle lanes are now nuisances and see the $$$ roll in? *

* She did seem to suffer pretty serious injuries in fairness

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement