Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism and cycling

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,592 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

tomasrojo wrote: »
    I think it wasn't a protest to get headlines. It was to discourage them from continuing to sanction closing the cycle facility like this.
    yep, but a bit of publicity would have done no harm.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Investigation into discovery of garda’s body on Co Mayo road
    Body of John McCallion found beside bicycle; his bother died in a road collision in 2009

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/investigation-into-discovery-of-garda-s-body-on-co-mayo-road-1.3904620

• Registered Users Posts: 29,068 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

tomasrojo wrote: »
    They mention, though, that they're fine with ABR being used for a drop-off, provided the coaches go and park somewhere else after. It's true that the NTA coach park isn't designed for passenger disembarkations, but the cycle facility isn't designed to store coaches either.
    Or better still, drop the gig-goers even closer to the venue, and let the coaches head off to the coach park for the evening. It would take a bit of organisation at pick up time to reunite people with the right coaches, but when you're running a multi-million euro event, a bit of organising isn't that difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

I dont know the road, but this comes across as awfully petty imo. Bikes are free to use roads as we constantly remind people, so for things like this, cycle lanes are the least worst option to park on. If we want to stop being treated with utter contempt by drivers, this is not the way to go about it.

The road you dont know is one of the very few segregated routes in Dublin and on that account heavily used. Yes, cyclists are free to use the road but a large number of cyclists would feel very uncomfortable sharing that road with Friday evening rush-hour traffic, parents bringing their children from the creche for eg, or people happy to cycle precisely because there is a segregated path and not a busy road.

Whatever makes you think that plonking any number of heavy buses on a facility designed for bikes could possibly be the "least worst option"? Least worst for whom? If a lane on the road had been chosen instead would driver safety have been compromised? If the coach park had been chosen would concert goers lives have been endangered?

The real learning from this as someone said above is the evidence that cyclists are not considered to be "traffic" and therefore can be pushed around on a whim. It's not surprising that MCD sees cyclists in this light, the scandal lies in the fact that the Garda went along with it.

I have a feeling the tide has turned and that it wont happen again. Hats off to IBike

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

The road you dont know is one of the very few segregated routes in Dublin and on that account heavily used. Yes, cyclists are free to use the road but a large number of cyclists would feel very uncomfortable sharing that road with Friday evening rush-hour traffic, parents bringing their children from the creche for eg, or people happy to cycle precisely because there is a segregated path and not a busy road.

Whatever makes you think that plonking any number of heavy buses on a facility designed for bikes could possibly be the "least worst option"? Least worst for whom? If a lane on the road had been chosen instead would driver safety have been compromised? If the coach park had been chosen would concert goers lives have been endangered?

The real learning from this as someone said above is the evidence that cyclists are not considered to be "traffic" and therefore can be pushed around on a whim. It's not surprising that MCD sees cyclists in this light, the scandal lies in the fact that the Garda went along with it.

I have a feeling the tide has turned and that it wont happen again. Hats off to IBike

Just shows everyone has different interpretations. I'd view it as cyclists are considered traffic & therefore for a few hours can use the traffic lane. Ideal? No, but jesus theres bigger problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Just shows everyone has different interpretations. I'd view it as cyclists are considered traffic & therefore for a few hours can use the traffic lane. Ideal? No, but jesus theres bigger problems.

You're one in a million. 100’s of cyclists passed and all were grateful that their journey was safer.

Many motorists rolled down the window and shouted in support.

When something is wrong it has to be pointed out or else things won’t improve. Especially here where there is room for dozens of coaches 5 minutes away.

You're one in a million. 100’s of cyclists passed and all were grateful that their journey was safer.

Many motorists rolled down the window and shouted in support.

When something is wrong it has to be pointed out or else things won’t improve. Especially here where there is room for dozens of coaches 5 minutes away.

I'm sure they were all delighted, I'm just saying that it comes across as petty & in mainstream media the cyclists involved will probably be portrayed as such. The main risk to my life while cycling on roads is apathy from drivers & in some cases utter contempt - so things like this, which make no real difference to anything in the grand scheme of things other than clear buses at concerts in croke park out of cycle lanes - do more harm than good in balance.

I'm sure they were all delighted, I'm just saying that it comes across as petty & in mainstream media the cyclists involved will probably be portrayed as such. The main risk to my life while cycling on roads is apathy from drivers & in some cases utter contempt - so things like this, which make no real difference to anything in the grand scheme of things other than clear buses at concerts in croke park out of cycle lanes - do more harm than good in balance.

You seem to be the only one of that opinion. You are entitled to it. Although to me, I think your thinking is skewed. I was there and I saw what people thought. There was no anger towards cyclists at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,768 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I think there was pretty much no coverage of it (elections), so there's no publicity upside or downside.

But the people making the plan for the next big event might think that parking coaches there is not worth the effort. Or the Gardaí might be urged or decide themselves to be more heavy-handed. I think the former, which is a good outcome.

I dont know the road, but this comes across as awfully petty imo. Bikes are free to use roads as we constantly remind people, so for things like this, cycle lanes are the least worst option to park on.
    How is the cycle lane for coach parking 'least worst' compared to the empty dedicated coach park about 1km away?

If we want to stop being treated with utter contempt by drivers, this is not the way to go about it.
    So we should tug our forelocks and say please and thank you to the nice drivers for not killing us? Appeasement isn't really working. It's time to stand up and take our space back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

The problem is that the Department of Transport's coach park nearby in Sheriff Street is not a great place. Least they could do would be to put a warm, friendly truckers' cafe there.

Oh, and also the coach companies don't like to pay; and Dublin City Council, kowtowing to kommerce as always, has agreed that no, coaches shouldn't have to pay for parking in Dublin city centre…

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Did you every consider that views like your views are part of the problem?

You think allowing coaches park on a cycle lane helps make drivers think something like: "oh, look, aren't those cyclists great getting onto a busy road and sharing the road (including those with their children on board)?"

Rechuchote wrote: »
    The problem is that the Department of Transport's coach park nearby in Sheriff Street is not a great place. Least they could do would be to put a warm, friendly truckers' cafe there.
    It's five minutes walk to the Point, the Gibson Hotel, Mayor Square with a bunch of cafes and restaurants, Spencer Hotel, CHQ.

monument wrote: »
    Did you every consider that views like your views are part of the problem?

You think allowing coaches park on a cycle lane helps make drivers think something like: "oh, look, aren't those cyclists great getting onto a busy road and sharing the road (including those with their children on board)?"

You're confusing my views, with what is actually my opinion of car drivers typical views.

What I think is drivers seeing someone blocking a bus with a leg cramp will think "those damn cyclist nutters at it again" not your assumption above.

I just think this forum does have it's fair share of militant cyclists & they do no benefit to the rest of us in a lot of cases. This example being one. My opinion is clearly in the minority here, but it wont be elsewhere, which is literally my point.

You're confusing my views, with what is actually my opinion of car drivers typical views.

What I think is drivers seeing someone blocking a bus with a leg cramp will think "those damn cyclist nutters at it again" not your assumption above.

I just think this forum does have it's fair share of militant cyclists & they do no benefit to the rest of us in a lot of cases. This example being one. My opinion is clearly in the minority here, but it wont be elsewhere, which is literally my point.

Good news is they only one or two drivers at most would have seen they as traffic was at a standstill due to the buses.

Maybe should direct your ire at the typical car drivers and work to change their views that coaches should be parked on the bike lane instead of the coach park?

Maybe should direct your ire at the typical car drivers and work to change their views that coaches should be parked on the bike lane instead of the coach park?

That was not the typical view from drivers I encountered on Friday. Not one complained, beeped, got angry at cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

In my experience, motorists with apathetic views towards cyclists frequently trot out the “if there’s cycle lanes, why do they use the road?” ****e. If anything, this sort of protest may actually be viewed positively by this group, as it shows many cyclists will happily use a decent cycle track, as rare as they are, and be willing to stand up when it’s attempted to be closed.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Body of John McCallion found beside bicycle; his bother died in a road collision in 2009

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/investigation-into-discovery-of-garda-s-body-on-co-mayo-road-1.3904620

Jesus how heartbreaking for the family.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭buffalo

Do you think apathy and contempt from the council/NTA/Gardaí about cycling infrastructure reflects and reinforces apathy and contempt in the general population?

Would you not agree that forcing public bodies to have respect for cyclists and cycling infrastructure might help shift attitudes in the general population as well?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,837 ✭✭✭blackwhite

“Road collision” is being very generous to the scumbag who killed Robbie McCallion tbh.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,592 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Want a happy commute? Researchers point to travel by bicycle
    Cyclists are the happiest commuters, arriving to work or school in better moods than those who drive solo or ride the bus, according to new research from the University of Minnesota that looked at daily travel behavior and emotional well-being.
    http://www.startribune.com/want-a-happy-commute-researchers-point-to-travel-by-bicycle/509074082/

Not sure if this was posted https://www.rte.ie/news/munster/2019/0527/1052041-africa/

Tomás Mac an tSaoir completed his 7 month ride from Cairo to Capetown.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Greentree_uk

Not surprised at all tbh, I feel so much happier riding to work than any form of other transport. doesn't even matter if some eejit nearly kills me, wind rain hail, still prefer to go by bike!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Yeah, I'm in no way surprised at this. On the rare occasions I have to drive a few days in a row I always find myself feeling lethargic and grumpy.

Yeah, I'm in no way surprised at this. On the rare occasions I have to drive a few days in a row I always find myself feeling lethargic and grumpy.
    When I drive I find that I get sucked in somewhat to the herd mentality. I despise the person in front of me who is late moving off from the lights because of whatever they're doing/looking at. I get impatient, frustrated, etc when I'm not moving at a reasonable pace.*
    On a morning like this which is wet and crappy looking, I know even before I leave the house that traffic will be heavier and slower.
    However, I cycled today. Wore a rain jacket and overshoes and arrived 25 minutes later damp but feeling good. Grabbed a shower in work and arrived at my desk feeling good. I've done half of my daily exercise also meaning that today I won't have to head to the gym.
    Had I driven, it would have taken about 25 minutes anyhow, maybe a little more because of the rain. I'd also have felt guilty had I not taken in an hour or more in the gym.

* I will point out that I am always conscious that I overtake pedestrians/cyclists/animals with care and space.

partly for me, it's a sense of achievement when i do cycle in; you arrive at your desk having gotten a decent bit of exercise/saved the planet/wheelied over the east link with the sun rising behind you, or whatever floats your boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

[/QUOTE]

* I will point out that I am always conscious that I overtake pedestrians/cyclists/animals with care and space.[/QUOTE]

Ah now, don't exaggerate!.. remember, if one cyclist breaks a red light, we ALL get a bad rep! :D

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Ah now, don't exaggerate!.. remember, if one cyclist breaks a red light, we ALL get a bad rep! :D
    Funny, as long as they don't cycle endanger themselves, I couldn't care less what they do. I understand why some cyclists break red lights. If a cyclist pulls in front of me at a set of lights, I know that I can pass them and that they generally are travelling as fast as they can so my expectations change.
    When I drive, any frustration is with other drivers who are too preoccupied at lights to see them change, on their phone, not keeping up with traffic, etc. Usually then it does impact me - not much in the grand scheme of things but enough of them and I do get frustrated.
    Anyhow, cycling does leave me in a much better mood by the time I arrive at the office.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

I passed a 1.6km queue of mostly single occupancy vehicles this morning between Clontarf village & Alfie Byrne rd, the majority of drivers looking utterly bored / fed up. it actually lifted my mood!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement