Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism and cycling

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

She was found 50 percent liable because she wasn't looking where she was going. Another cyclist gave evidence saying he was behaving aggressively. I'd assume he could sue her too if he wanted to.
    Mr Hazeldean had come through a green traffic light, and had sounded a loud airhorn attached to his Specialized roadbike, as well as shouting, swerving and braking in a bid to avoid the pedestrian.

Ms Brushett's lawyers told the judge that she could not remember anything about the crash due to "post traumatic amnesia".

However she relied on the evidence of another cyclist who had witnessed the crash and confronted Mr Hazeldean immediately afterwards.

That witness had made a voice recording at the time, accusing Mr Hazeldean of "aggressive riding" and calling him "arrogant and reckless".

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭RobbieMD

Mc Love wrote: »
    She was looking at her phone though, and the lights were green, he was only doing 10-15mph and tried to stop. He even sounded his horn, I dont believe the liability should be as high?

If a car sounded it’s horn and knocked her down would you not say the driver was responsible? The green light is only an indicator that you may proceed if it’s safe to do so. It’s not an absolute right to proceed. That he sounded the horn would indicate he had seen her on the road and probably went against him.
    The judgment seems fair. They both share equal responsibility for the outcome. Perhaps he will initiate his own proceedings against her now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,124 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

The legal principle is that you're not allowed to just run people over because they're twats.

This is the kind of nanny state political correctness gone mad nonsense we have to live with these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Lumen wrote: »
    The legal principle is that you're not allowed to just run people over because they're twats.

This is the kind of nanny state political correctness gone mad nonsense we have to live with these days.

No you are not but the question is when should you be financially liable when they sue for their injuries? And if we move this to Ireland where the awards are overly generous and if there is no insurance to cover them (and even if there is) this is very high price to pay for someone else's stupidity.

meeeeh wrote: »
    No you are not but the question is when should you be financially liable when they sue for their injuries? And if we move this to Ireland where the awards are overly generous and if there is no insurance to cover them (and even if there is) this is very high price to pay for someone else's stupidity.
    Well, the awards are large when the counterparty is an insurer or business. I don't know that legal actions against uninsured individuals have the same outcomes (if they ever proceed).

• Advertisement

Lumen wrote: »
    Well, the awards are large when the counterparty is an insurer or business. I don't know that legal actions against uninsured individuals have the same outcomes (if they ever proceed).

Well in the case above it will proceed.

Well in the case above it will proceed.
    That's in the UK, so my point stands. And we don't yet know the damages awarded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭JMcL

Duckjob wrote: »
    Is it too much to expect media people to challenge mis-information with facts, or is this just part of the Trump style "fake news" world we are in now?

Unfortunately I'm afraid this is what radio here has by and large become. Pick a topic that'll drum up some Twitter traffic, pick a pair of "experts" with irreconcilable polar opposite opinions, let them holler at each other for 5 minutes and call it journalism. Matt Cooper is the only one I can tolerate these days as at least he does pull them up sometimes when they're spouting complete guff. RTE at least on Morning Ireland and Drivetime don't bring the bile that is Twitter into the equation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Weepsie wrote: »

It's amazing how 'futuristic' those projects look when you consider the approach to cycling infrastructure in Ireland.

My colleague sitting beside me who currently usually walks to work said straight away how much more inclined she would be to cycle in the city if we had similar infrastructure...

Some excellent urban designs in Germany and Netherlands (it's always easier to built nice track trough parks), especially that bicycle line under what I presume is S or U Bahn track in Berlin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,793 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Weepsie wrote: »
    I know it's only a concept at present, but I really like that inverted bridge in New York. Reusing abandoned infrastructure like that is a brilliant idea
    There was talk of repurposiing the dilapidated Galway-Clifden viaduct. That would be a nice cycle.

580px-Galway_Clifden_Railway.jpg
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=67710179&postcount=132

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

tomasrojo wrote: »
    There was talk of repurposiing the dilapidated Galway-Clifden viaduct. That would be a nice cycle.

580px-Galway_Clifden_Railway.jpg
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=67710179&postcount=132

That's a terrific picture, I love it!!!

The Connemara Green Way got their funding. Or some of it did. It's happening slowly, so maybe, just maybe it might. I know there's a section of the old railway that runs by a canal off the Corrib, at Bushy Park... i wan't to go Kayaking there myself. Where the greenway meets the blue way is pure gold...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,231 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Some excellent urban designs in Germany and Netherlands (it's always easier to built nice track trough parks), especially that bicycle line under what I presume is S or U Bahn track in Berlin.

Knowing the area well I can't imagine how that one in Berlin will work.
    Crowds come down from Warschauerstrasse every evening and that's the only walkway. The Oberbaumbrucke archways are full of homeless people and drug dealers and smashed glass, and there's an extremely popular burger bar (burgermeister) exactly where the "artists impression" originates.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23 mistermaster

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,014 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Ahead of National Bike Week 2019, Andrea Gilligan was joined in studio by a panel of experts to discuss Ireland's cycling network. She asked if it is fit for purpose, how the infrastructure can be improved, and what needs to be done to get more people out on their bike.

it's a podcast of the show.

https://www.newstalk.com/podcasts/between-the-lines-with-andrea-gilligan/can-make-cities-safer-better-cycling?fbclid=IwAR1KnpSiLnIciPnMhYqvvY8A66owCekHRCwXqTGbWihTKZAwsd9PESL9TO8

i'm only 5 minutes in and so far it seems decent enough; and he's not spoken yet, but i did wonder why CF was trotted out yet again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,014 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

there's a full page article (well, nearly full) in the weekend review section of today's irish times, prompted by the recent prosecution for the close pass on a cyclist where the video was key.
    it's subscriber only online

How cyclists’ videos can help convict dangerous drivers
    The video is just eight seconds long. Viewers first see several vehicles driving past a cyclist – and giving him plenty of space as they do so. Then a white van appears, speeding as it overtakes the cyclist with just inches to spare. The van doesn’t clip the rider but it’s a close call.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/how-cyclists-videos-can-help-convict-dangerous-drivers-1.3932077

mod note - i've moved posts about the 100k compensation case in the UK to the parallel thread running on it, just for tidiness sake.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057990434#

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭plodder

Good discussion on cycling on Newstalk at the moment. All very positive.

Bike-sharing removes five tonnes of carbon from Dublin each year - research
    Bike-sharing is cutting out five tonnes of carbon annually in Dublin, new research shows.

As national bike week is underway, the research – a collaboration between Trinity College, Dublin City Council and bicycle company Bleeperbike – explored the use of stationless bike-sharing.
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/bike-sharing-removes-five-tonnes-of-carbon-from-dublin-each-year--research-932448.html?fbclid=IwAR0DEunXAFRDJU4DiAXQ6sQ6upd_61STy64Op6wYNjCjQlZ3594V0zFhB2o

i'm a little sceptical about how they could draw specific conclusions, it's such a mess of factors interacting in complex ways with each other.
    also: "On average each Bleeperbike trip burned 140 calories, and the average distance cycled was 2.4 km"
    140 calories for a 2.4km cycle seems improbably high?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,352 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

it's a podcast of the show.

https://www.newstalk.com/podcasts/between-the-lines-with-andrea-gilligan/can-make-cities-safer-better-cycling?fbclid=IwAR1KnpSiLnIciPnMhYqvvY8A66owCekHRCwXqTGbWihTKZAwsd9PESL9TO8

i'm only 5 minutes in and so far it seems decent enough; and he's not spoken yet, but i did wonder why CF was trotted out yet again.
    plodder wrote: »
    Good discussion on cycling on Newstalk at the moment. All very positive.
    Sorry, could you say that again please - I must have misheard you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Glass Prison 1214

Sorry, could you say that again please - I must have misheard you.

It was surprisingly excellent. Everyone had positive and constructive things to say.

None of the usual whataboutery stuff about helmets and red lights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

140 calories for a 2.4km cycle seems improbably high?

Bike weight and gear ratio makes it seem improbably low :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭hesker

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,153 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

hesker wrote: »
    I'd love to know how many calls of complaint from the car park operators to the city manager have been made so far today!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Doc07

hesker wrote: »

I commute by bike 3-4 days a week by SCR. It’s complete gridlock, like some sort of car opera homage to a broken city. All single occupancy cars as well.
    Even the most anti-cyclist car commuters would have to agree it’s a total sh!tshow.
    The cars fill up entire road to the curb so cyclists can’t pass either.
    I now agree with massive inner city car restrictions even though I’m guilty of driving into city center on weekends with kids sometimes.

And electric cars won’t be any better at driving down gridlocked streets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

I'd love to know how many calls of complaint from the car park operators to the city manager have been made so far today!

Sure what other way have people for getting TVs and fridges home other than in the back of their private car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭JMcL

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Sure what other way have people for getting TVs and fridges home other than in the back of their private car.

It's only dawning on me now that this is obviously the main reason cars are getting bigger - good luck trying to fit that 65" flat screen in the back of your 00 reg Fiesta :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,429 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Fian wrote: »

Cyclings great hope, lol, what kind of moron ever thought we'd have good cycling infrastructure or public transport in Dublin.
    It's a private car city and it wont and can't change any time soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Delighted to see the tech companies pushing the council to focus on cycling, it's literally the only voice they'll listen to.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement