Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism and cycling

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

QueensGael wrote: »
    Shockingly sh** example on the N21 coming into Newcastlewest from the Abbeyfeale side - there's a nice wide hard shoulder, and then stupid lumps of concrete and pillars appear every 200m as you head into the town. It has little effect in slowing down the motorised traffic, and only serves to spit the cyclists out into the path of said traffic. Does my nut in, chapeau Limerick CoCo :rolleyes:

Wexford has the same ion the way out to Rosslare, "traffic calming" at villages like Tagoat, which slows no one down but brings cyclists into conflict with pedestrians or motorists, depending on the day, and despite all of the signage, and there is alot, none of it actually tells cyclists which choise they are meant to take (although legally I think either are fine).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭buffalo

QueensGael wrote: »
    Shockingly sh** example on the N21 coming into Newcastlewest from the Abbeyfeale side - there's a nice wide hard shoulder, and then stupid lumps of concrete and pillars appear every 200m as you head into the town. It has little effect in slowing down the motorised traffic, and only serves to spit the cyclists out into the path of said traffic. Does my nut in, chapeau Limerick CoCo :rolleyes:

Bring the kerbs out even further to limit car traffic to one lane, with a yield sign at either side, and continue the hard shoulder as a kerb-protected cycle lane. That would 'calm traffic' by properly alerting drivers that they're entering a village environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,123 ✭✭✭homer911

Haven't noticed any discussion around this awful story. The coverage seems to indicate a cyclist went over the center line, was struck by a car and the cyclist then struck five others..

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/six-cyclists-injured-two-hospitalised-following-collision-in-clare-38393451.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭Melodeon

homer911 wrote: »
    Haven't noticed any discussion around this awful story. The coverage seems to indicate a cyclist went over the center line, was struck by a car and the cyclist then struck five others..

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/six-cyclists-injured-two-hospitalised-following-collision-in-clare-38393451.html

I'm not seeing anything in the linked article about who was over the centre line, or indeed any mention of a centre line at all; am I missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,002 ✭✭✭cletus

Melodeon wrote: »
    I'm not seeing anything in the linked article about who was over the centre line, or indeed any mention of a centre line at all; am I missing something?

I'd imagine the poster is assuming that the cyclist was over the centre line because the article says he was struck by an oncoming vehicle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Steoller

cletus wrote: »
    I'd imagine the poster is assuming that the cyclist was over the centre line because the article says he was struck by an oncoming vehicle

An earlier version of that independent article related an eyewitness saying the first cyclist may have "strayed" into the oncoming lane.

No other news report repeated that account, and now it's not on the independent's story.

EDIT: See the ninth paragraph

• Registered Users Posts: 8,837 ✭✭✭blackwhite

cletus wrote: »

Not the greatest source of journalistic integrity - but I read a few reports containing similar line yesterday. Imagine that's where the assumption came from
    While Gardaí are investigating all the circumstances of the incident, onlookers at the scene said it appeared that one cyclist may have ‘strayed’ over the centre line before being ‘clipped’ by a car.

https://www.thesun.ie/news/4429295/two-cyclists-hospitalised-four-injured-car-crash-clare/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

The Journal (comments section is a cesspit I know) have 47 comments on this story, of course many / most giving out about cyclists, including one 4 abreast comment...

A story from yesterday about a fatality after a single vehicle crash - 2 comments, both rightly expressing sympathy.

There's an awful lot wrong in some people's heads when it comes to cycling / cyclists :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

More from our friends at The Irish Times

https://twitter.com/zusammenfassn/status/1158340686934093825

Tombo2001 wrote: »

GUESS WHICH ONE WAS ON THE FRONT PAGE?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Is that a trend or just two random headlines? If its a trend it's bad. The latter just unfortunate when seen side by side.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

TheChizler wrote: »
    Is that a trend or just two random headlines? If its a trend it's bad. The latter just unfortunate when seen side by side.

The Stoneybatter diversion of cars as part of Bus Connects was on their front page. The bus, cycling and public realm improvements were covered in a other article somewhere near the bereavement and marriage announcements at the back. There is a similar tone take with the Metrolink project.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

donvito99 wrote: »
    The Stoneybatter diversion of cars as part of Bus Connects was on their front page. The bus, cycling and public realm improvements were covered in a other article somewhere near the bereavement and marriage announcements at the back. There is a similar tone take with the Metrolink project.
    I specifically meant the way of presenting statistics per day vs per year, that kind of thing. It's a more objective way of determining bias rather than trying to subjectively gauge the tone of an article.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,591 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

The cycling boom: How popular is it and is it expensive?
    Sport has seen huge increases in participation levels but are the costs prohibitive?
    https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/other-sports/the-cycling-boom-how-popular-is-it-and-is-it-expensive-1.3984216

Sport has seen huge increases in participation levels but are the costs prohibitive?
    https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/other-sports/the-cycling-boom-how-popular-is-it-and-is-it-expensive-1.3984216

We need no further evidence of the IT's anti-cycling bias. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

buffalo wrote: »

I find it ironic ok. The Irish Times regularly cheer leads house that are out of most peoples league, as well a vast array of expensive luxury cars in their motoring section. From page regularly features ads for Rolex and Patek Phillipe watches, running to €10k plus. But €800 on a bike is considered out of reach. Bizarre.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

And €900 to send your kid to primary school is considered out of reach? Bizarre.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

And €900 to send your kid to primary school is considered out of reach? Bizarre.

In what world are people paying €200 for uniforms? People have a problem with looking after and reusing uniforms now and passing them on to younger siblings/cousins/neighbours which was not that uncommon not so long ago.

Loads of schools offer second hand books too, in good coniditon for a fraction of the price but parents turn their noses up at them. They complain when school offers rental schemes too that again save a fortune.

Same people who comlain about these things, are not the people who are struggling through adversity, it's normally self inflicted as they are able to spot that Bargain Alert for their latest phone, holiday, tv etc.

There is a plan in place which is already reducing costs as is. People think school is nothing more than daycare these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    I find it ironic ok. The Irish Times regularly cheer leads house that are out of most peoples league, as well a vast array of expensive luxury cars in their motoring section. From page regularly features ads for Rolex and Patek Phillipe watches, running to €10k plus. But €800 on a bike is considered out of reach. Bizarre.

the obvious thing they did not mention in comparing to golf is the membership of the golf club , often north of 1k per year, never mind the "joining" to join some of the clubs (20k)

He could easily have spun it as "Cycling: the cheap alternative to golf" .

The Irish Times loves cycling.

Cyclists though are a different matter.

• Advertisement

Pinch Flat wrote: »

When you own myhome.ie and depend on ad revenue from above.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

That's a hard read - not because of content as such, just that it's really poorly written!

The Irish Times loves cycling.

Cyclists though are a different matter.

The subtlety was lost on me, sorry. Why did they bury the story about fines for cyclists "somewhere near the bereavement and marriage announcements at the back" as another poster put it, and put the fines for motorists on the front page?

The subtlety was lost on me, sorry. Why did they bury the story about fines for cyclists "somewhere near the bereavement and marriage announcements at the back" as another poster put it, and put the fines for motorists on the front page?

I posted screen grabs, and I dont know who you are quoting here - though I will take it at face value that the motorist piece was on the front page.

Are we wrong to interpret - comparing the two headlines - that the headline relating motorists downplays the level of breaches, while the headline relating to cyclists makes it seem far worse than it is?

Interesting to compare the same journalist's opening paragraph for an article on running, the very same day:

Cycling article

You hear them before you see them. That unmistakable clack . . . clack . . . clack across the wooden floor of a coffee shop on a Sunday morning means only one thing: the cyclists have arrived.

Running article

More than 22,000 people are entered into the Dublin Marathon on October 27th, and participants will be well into training now. If you’re one of those and you’re looking to run a training race beforehand, then here are some options that aren’t yet sold out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

donvito99 wrote: »

They didn't. That reference was to the article on improvements coming out of BusConnects being buried while the "Cars diverted! Oh No!" shocker piece was front page.

cdaly_ wrote: »
    They didn't. That reference was to the article on improvements coming out of BusConnects being buried while the "Cars diverted! Oh No!" shocker piece was front page.

They did. :) I was just re-using the reference.
    I posted screen grabs, and I dont know who you are quoting here - though I will take it at face value that the motorist piece was on the front page.

Are we wrong to interpret - comparing the two headlines - that the headline relating motorists downplays the level of breaches, while the headline relating to cyclists makes it seem far worse than it is?

You're not wrong, but you should also be aware you're picking and choosing examples to suit your own perceptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Weepsie wrote: »
    In what world are people paying €200 for uniforms? People have a problem with looking after and reusing uniforms now and passing them on to younger siblings/cousins/neighbours which was not that uncommon not so long ago.

Loads of schools offer second hand books too, in good coniditon for a fraction of the price but parents turn their noses up at them. They complain when school offers rental schemes too that again save a fortune.

Same people who comlain about these things, are not the people who are struggling through adversity, it's normally self inflicted as they are able to spot that Bargain Alert for their latest phone, holiday, tv etc.

There is a plan in place which is already reducing costs as is. People think school is nothing more than daycare these days.

I think your out of touch with schools. At primary level its mostly school workbooks that kids write in and can't be reused. For us this year school books for third class was a 100 and 80 for 1st class.

As for school uniforms, I would say the cost over a year is 200 euro for a boy. Our little lad goes through 3-4 uniforms a year, 2 school tracksuits easily and 2 pairs of shoes and easily 3 pairs of runners!! Could never pass them down as wear and tear is high.

Then add on the school bags, stationary and print pack for the year and you have another 100 euro.

Then throw in their sport, for two kids including membership etc, sport comes close to 3g for us.

They did. :) I was just re-using the reference.

You're not wrong, but you should also be aware you're picking and choosing examples to suit your own perceptions.

Ha ha

I wouldnt keep picking these examples if they didnt keep appearing.

I dont pick examples from the Irish Examiner - which I read regulary - because I dont see them there. Likewise RTE.IE

But I do see them at the Irish Times.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Interesting to compare the same journalist's opening paragraph for an article on running, the very same day:

Cycling article

You hear them before you see them. That unmistakable clack . . . clack . . . clack across the wooden floor of a coffee shop on a Sunday morning means only one thing: the cyclists have arrived.

Running article

More than 22,000 people are entered into the Dublin Marathon on October 27th, and participants will be well into training now. If you’re one of those and you’re looking to run a training race beforehand, then here are some options that aren’t yet sold out.

Interesting in that it frames the arrival of cycists as something of an annoyance or something. Often cyclists are painted as an obstacle that delays people, a nuisance to be navigated. I don't think the same is said for running.

I mention this only because the half marathon on sunday mean it was an absolute PITA to try and get past the park and out beyond the canal.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement