Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism and cycling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,994 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    There are so many issues around this and it all boils down to the same thing. Drivers getting the lions share of the road.

For example, I'm trying to teach the kids - be dogmatic -about waiting for the green man. You can be waiting two minutes. Then you get to a traffic island. Its not co-ordinated so you waiting another minute. And then you get across.

Can take 3 minutes to walk 30 yards when you are a pedestrian trying to cross the road. Nowhere, ever, do drivers have to put up with that crap.

Let's not forget the 3 way specials you often encounter where to legally cross the road, say following anti-clockwise direction through the junction, you need to cross 3 sets of lights, sometimes with traffic islands in the clockwise direction because there's no pedestrian crossing in the direction you want to go. Don't think I've seen that level of contempt for pedestrians anywhere else in the world.

Example nearest me: https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.3442602,-6.2495967,2a,75y,165.48h,83.43t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sDQhUWxBTodlNH04FNMyQ0w!2e0!7i13312!8i6656. 4 sets of traffic lights to get from one side of Pearse street to the other (cross 1 set at Lombard street, 1 set at Pearse street on other side, 2 sets at Westland road which has a traffic island).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,664 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Stark wrote: »
    Let's not forget the 3 way specials you often encounter where to legally cross the road, say following anti-clockwise direction through the junction, you need to cross 3 sets of lights, sometimes with traffic islands in the clockwise direction because there's no pedestrian crossing in the direction you want to go. Don't think I've seen that level of contempt for pedestrians anywhere else in the world.

Example nearest me: https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.3442602,-6.2495967,2a,75y,165.48h,83.43t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sDQhUWxBTodlNH04FNMyQ0w!2e0!7i13312!8i6656. 4 sets of traffic lights to get from one side of Pearse street to the other (cross 1 set at Lombard street, 1 set at Pearse street on other side, 2 sets at Westland road which has a traffic island).

LOLS

there is a 4-way special approaching the botanic gardens.

From bottom right

To get from east to west side of Botanic Road.

Cross fairfield road (no pedestrian lights, but traffic lights for cars so you need to be careful).

Then cross St Mobhi Road, pedestrian green light.

Then cross onto traffic island. pedestrian light.

Then cross onto other side of Botanic road. Pedestrian light.

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.3703168,-6.2686805,59m/data=!3m1!1e3

And look how wide the footpath is here.....
    https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3710135,-6.2689947,3a,75y,10.97h,66.67t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sjhSBXTlcTSYTEGN5CEGnBg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i dunno, i reckon that's plenty wide enough to park half my car on.

i dunno, i reckon that's plenty wide enough to park half my car on.

Ah here

There's a perfectly good place to park around the corner....

Bots.jpg

That is to say, there's a perfectly good cycle path to park on.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i once saw one of the security guards having a proper shouting match with a coach driver at the entrance. the coach driver had parked right outside the gates, and was adamant that not only did he need to park there, he had a right to park there. the security guard was shouting at him that this was where emergency services needed access to, in case of an emergency in the gardens, and said he'd have the gardai down in a shot, if the coach driver wanted to argue the toss about blocking emergency access to the gardens with them. he moved.

• Advertisement

Bots1.jpg

In case it wasn't clear from earlier photo

Double breach parking -on the footpath, and on the cycle path.

You wouldnt get the impression these drivers are too concerned about any sort of punishment.

Photo was taken on a Saturday afternoon around 2pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Bots1.jpg

In case it wasn't clear from earlier photo

Double breach parking -on the footpath, and on the cycle path.

You wouldnt get the impression these drivers are too concerned about any sort of punishment.

Photo was taken on a Saturday afternoon around 2pm.

If you wanted to sum up the driver entitlement culture, that's the perfect picture right there.

They're probably the same idiots who complain about cyclists not using cycle lanes.

Duckjob wrote: »
    If you wanted to sum up the driver entitlement culture, that's the perfect picture right there.

They're probably the same idiots who complain about cyclists not using cycle lanes.

One thing that's not obvious in the photo - and its not an excuse, but it is in its own way relevant - is that the election posters completely block the Cycle Lane sign for any oncoming drivers.

Regardless - another relevant point is that by putting hours on the cycle lane sign, there is an implication that its ok to park here outside of those hours.

But - there is no way you can park here, unless half the car is on the footpath.

Look where the middle of the road is. Two way traffic will not work here if cars are parked on the road, and it is two way traffic with lots of double decker buses that cant be in the business of reversing to let oncoming traffic through.

Ergo - implicitly, the council is telling people its ok to park on the footpath here.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,768 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

There are so many issues around this and it all boils down to the same thing. Drivers getting the lions share of the road.

For example, I'm trying to teach the kids - be dogmatic -about waiting for the green man. You can be waiting two minutes. Then you get to a traffic island. Its not co-ordinated so you waiting another minute. And then you get across.

Can take 3 minutes to walk 30 yards when you are a pedestrian trying to cross the road. Nowhere, ever, do drivers have to put up with that crap.

I think the crossing by the t-junction just west of the Beacon hospital omits the green man every second cycle on one of the arms of the junction. Just so you can enjoy the particulate soup enveloping you for a few minutes longer.

Rory Stewart champions sex life benefits of cycling
    CUMBRIAN MP Rory Stewart has championed the sex life benefits that come from regularly riding a bicycle.

Speaking in Parliament he pointed to a study which suggested men who cycle have the sexual prowess of those five years younger.
    https://www.newsandstar.co.uk/news/17237502.rory-stewart-champions-sex-life-benefits-of-cycling/?ref=twtrec

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭radia

A more positive feature on the BBC website: The women with a passion for cycling
    Birmingham-based photographer Alison Baskerville has been documenting the experiences of women and non-binary people with a passion for cycling.

"I wanted to create a piece of work which expresses how the range of cycling we access is so diverse - from those who cycle around a park to those who aspire to be part of cycling clubs and compete," she says.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Speaking in Parliament he pointed to a study which suggested men who cycle have the sexual prowess of those five years younger.
    https://www.newsandstar.co.uk/news/17237502.rory-stewart-champions-sex-life-benefits-of-cycling/?ref=twtrec
    Hmmm that still makes me middle aged :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/environmental-activists-to-hold-protests-in-dublin-on-monday-1.4041890

So extinction rebellion are planning to block traffic this evening and throughout the week.

I am assuming that they will not look to obstruct cyclists since their intention is to encourage more people to use public transport. I imagine buses will be disrupted though and the Dart/Luas will be even more crowded than usual.

I'm wondering will this lead to any positive change - with people discovering that they get home faster if they park & ride than on their normal commute. would be great if that happened.

On the other hand inevitably it will lead to more bad tempered frustrated drivers out there, so I will be extra careful this week. Bad decisions from frustrated drivers tend to have repercussions on those of us with 2 wheels.

Also inevitably drivers stuck in traffic watching "bloody tree hugging cyclists" glide past them will only inflame irritation/anger towards cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

Fian wrote: »
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/environmental-activists-to-hold-protests-in-dublin-on-monday-1.4041890

So extinction rebellion are planning to block traffic this evening and throughout the week.

I am assuming that they will not look to obstruct cyclists since their intention is to encourage more people to use public transport. I imagine buses will be disrupted though and the Dart/Luas will be even more crowded than usual.

I'm wondering will this lead to any positive change - with people discovering that they get home faster if they park & ride than on their normal commute. would be great if that happened.

On the other hand inevitably it will lead to more bad tempered frustrated drivers out there, so I will be extra careful this week. Bad decisions from frustrated drivers tend to have repercussions on those of us with 2 wheels.

Also inevitably drivers stuck in traffic watching "bloody tree hugging cyclists" glide past them will only inflame irritation/anger towards cyclists.

If i happen to cycle through this protest i expect to be fêted like a hero for doing my bit for the environment.

Handed drinks in a coconut and a big bunch of flowers around my neck and all that sh1t.

:pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

If i happen to cycle through this protest i expect to be fêted like a hero for doing my bit for the environment.

Handed drinks in a coconut and a big bunch of flowers around my neck and all that sh1t.

I'm gonna be disappointed if I don't get flowers now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Fian wrote: »
    I'm wondering will this lead to any positive change - with people discovering that they get home faster if they park & ride than on their normal commute. would be great if that happened.....

They'll realize how overcrowded (and I don't mean full or standing, I mean overcrowded) the trains are. That wouldn't encourage anyone.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Unless it was carried over here by a swallow, a coconut is unlikely to be used as the protestors would be against global food transport!

Unless it was carried over here by a swallow, a coconut is unlikely to be used as the protestors would be against global food transport!

A spud with a paper straw in it will do.

Don't be silly. A 5oz bird couldn't carry a 1lb coconut.

• Advertisement

Stark wrote: »
    Don't be silly. A 5oz bird couldn't carry a 1lb coconut.

Is that an African or European swallow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Thats nuts...

Is that an African or European swallow?

African swallows are non-migratory so European swallow.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

A spud with a paper straw in it will do.
    *Some fermentation required

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

https://www.independent.ie/life/motoring/car-news/quarter-of-drivers-caught-using-mobile-phones-avoid-justice-as-they-were-not-served-summons-38568696.html

So even if you do happen to get caught on your phone, there's a good chance you'll get away with it. only 1 in 4 convicted.

Weepsie wrote: »
    https://www.independent.ie/life/motoring/car-news/quarter-of-drivers-caught-using-mobile-phones-avoid-justice-as-they-were-not-served-summons-38568696.html

So even if you do happen to get caught on your phone, there's a good chance you'll get away with it. only 1 in 4 convicted.

The thing that particularly annoys me about this is that like everything else

Cyclists on their phones is something that so many drivers are shocked by.......

Haughty voice......"its just soooo dangerous"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

I wouldn’t be too sure about that!
    https://www.reddit.com/r/PublicFreakout/comments/dek9z3/climate_change_activists_block_city_bridge_tell/

'but the steel in my bike comes from vegan sources!'

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

'but the steel in my bike comes from vegan sources!'

Don't worry, they are going to block the buses from getting out of the city, so drove in today. Actually leaving at 7am gets me into town in 25 mins from lucan!!!

I didn't realise that, thanks extinction rebellion for showing me the way:D

• Advertisement

I personally would find it very hard to disagree with them.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/animal-population-falls-60-per-cent-due-to-human-activity-1.3680397

The only difference being that they are doing something about it and I'm not.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement