Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism and cycling

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Track is awesome.
    Everyone should try.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

Forgive me if this has been posted.

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/cyclist-ban-word-human-bike-ride-car-dehumanise-professors-a8842401.html

Article on a study released last May that claims 55% of motorists view cyclists as 'less than fully human'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭micar

droidus wrote: »
    Forgive me if this has been posted.

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/cyclist-ban-word-human-bike-ride-car-dehumanise-professors-a8842401.html

Article on a study released last May that claims 55% of motorists view cyclists as 'less than fully human'.

Scary to think that 30% of cyclists rated cyclists as “not completely human”.

Considering the cr@p that cyclists deal with from motorists you'd think this would be much much closer to 0%

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Northern Ireland appeal judge upholds dangerous driving conviction for close pass
    A judge in Northern Ireland has ruled that a close pass constitutes dangerous driving, dismissing an appeal by a motorist against a conviction for the offence earlier this year.

The incident happened in July last year when several members of Spires Cycling Club, based in Magherafelt, County Londonderry, were subjected to a punishment pass by a motorist who also threatened to kill them next time, on the Pomeroy
    https://road.cc/content/news/267552-northern-ireland-appeal-judge-upholds-dangerous-driving-conviction-close-pass?fbclid=IwAR2y7oInpFRPpzcEMF-rN96ZN__6xyg3vx8yazkjYPBVkm54hWz-WjF1NEQ

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

The driver’s response was that next time he would kill them. The incident was reported to the police who contacted the driver.

“Unfortunately they also received a similar response along the lines of ‘well I looked in the mirror and there was none of them lying in the road so that’s all right then’.

Clearly not the sharpest tool in the drawer.

• Advertisement

Duckjob wrote: »
    Clearly not the sharpest tool in the drawer.
    Unfortunately (to use your analogy) there appear to be plenty of tools out there just like him!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

speaking as someone who makes frequent use of sharp tools, i'd never keep them in a drawer, unless they were in moulded foam. wall mounted magnetic strips is where it's at.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,235 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Coming up on Liveline Radio1 at 13:45
    young males firing fireworks at cyclists on Clonbrasil St., Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

12 month sentence for driver who hit a group of cyclists in the north, killing one of them.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/latest-news/driver-jailed-hitting-group-cyclists-killing-gavin-moore-441072

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,664 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

6 month sentence.

I genuinely don't get the sense that its considered a crime.

The sentence smacks of 'its bad luck that this happened to you, it could happen to any of us but we have to give you some punishment for it, so here it is'.

No driver will read that and think "I need to drive more safely around cyclists".

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    No driver will read that and think "I need to drive more safely around cyclists".
    Especially when you think that in this case, the driver will be allowed back behind the wheel in three years! :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Especially when you think that in this case, the driver will be allowed back behind the wheel in three years! :rolleyes:

If you are found liable for killing someone with a car, you should never be allowed drive one again, no exceptions.
    Allowing someone their murder weapon back after a relatively short period of time when they've proven lethal with it blows my mind.
    "It's been three years they'll probably not kill anyone now " :rolleyes:
    A license is more important than sometimes life it seems

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Why are so few teenage girls cycling to school?
    Why are so few teenage girls cycling to school? This was the question that the An Taisce Green Schools programme managers asked school-going girls recently when they discovered that only one in 250 girls cycle to school in this country.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/health-family/fitness/why-are-so-few-teenage-girls-cycling-to-school-1.4043983

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/new-law-to-combat-dangerous-overtaking-of-cyclists-1.4064209?mode=amp

Be nice to see this finally on the statue books. Amazing campaigning by Phil.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭micar

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/new-law-to-combat-dangerous-overtaking-of-cyclists-1.4064209?mode=amp

"video footage supplied by cyclists could potentially be used to secure convictions against motorists for dangerous overtaking"

It is essential that it is.

One an aside, has anyone heard of a motorist who has had a conviction for a motoring offence as a result of dash cam footage be given to the Gardai by another motorist?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

micar wrote: »
    "video footage supplied by cyclists could potentially be used to secure convictions against motorists for dangerous overtaking"

One an aside, has anyone heard of a motorist who has had a conviction for a motoring offence as a result of dash cam footage be given to the Gardai by another motorist?

I gave them dash cam video, made a statement - 18 months ago, never heard a thing.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

It's happened, check near misses thread for example . Recently Alan posted video where driver got points for there behaviour.
    Excellent result.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

to bypass the paywall I opened in an "incognito" window.

Sounds like there will be no distances mentioned, it sounds like a higher fine and more penalty points than other forms of dangerous driving.
    “I had very much backed the minimum distance proposal and it was very disappointing when it wasn’t introduced. Even if the new law doesn’t specify a distance, it would mean there is a specific reference to cyclists and dangerous overtaking in law.”

Looking at social media channels there seems to be fury among Johnny and Mary motorist. Apparently, “road tax”, cycling (insert multiple here) abreast, cycling on footpaths and breaking red lights are all linked to this new law.

• Advertisement

I looked at a few of the comments on the RTE news FB page.
    Oh my God, the stupidity that exists out there!

I looked at a few of the comments on the RTE news FB page.
    Oh my God, the stupidity that exists out there!

Who knew that “road tax” and cycling insurance were the panacea to close passing.

I said it before that an IQ test should be required before you sit a driving test - these comments seem to give some credence to this theory.

From the north, reads great until the utter horse poop from the judge in the last line.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-50082056
    The judge at Kelly's trial queried the practice of cyclists riding side-by-side on the open road. He said he did not agree that it was safe practice but noted that there were no authoritative views, only opinions.

Just been discussed on NewsTalk now.

The listeners comments read out were befitting a progressive and civilised car-choked society in the grips of an obesity epidemic and a climate crisis *. A progressive and civilised car-choked society eager to embrace forward thinking ideas proven in other countries to benefit society in a multitude of ways

* may not be true

'but joe, i *want* to be allowed to close pass cyclists!'

• Registered Users Posts: 11,768 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I suspect NewsTalk has an average demographic that favours the return of capital punishment, among other things.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

I used bike camera footage as the witness in this case. There was no issue with using the video to prove the offence, I'd a massive issue with the Garda saying the sun was in her eyes when 1) it wasn't as the video showed and 2) it's not a valid excuse anyway.

Acceptance of video footage seems to be very much down to the discretion of the individual Garda :(

Duckjob wrote: »
    Just been discussed on NewsTalk now.

The listeners comments read out were befitting a progressive and civilised car-choked society in the grips of an obesity epidemic and a climate crisis *. A progressive and civilised car-choked society eager to embrace forward thinking ideas proven in other countries to benefit society in a multitude of ways

* may not be true

Let me guess - “road tax”, insurance, helmets and hi vis featured, rather than the actual story - passing a human being with inches to spare in a multiple tonne vehicle?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,994 ✭✭✭✭Stark

• Advertisement

Let me guess - “road tax”, insurance, helmets and hi vis featured, rather than the actual story - passing a human being with inches to spare in a multiple tonne vehicle?

Pretty much, in a nutshell. Infuriating to listen to.

Despite being pro cycling, Shane Coleman is useless as the rest of them. Listening to people vomiting out this drivel and instead of asking

"WTF does that any of that have to do with protecting vulnerable human beings from being closed passed with tonnes of metal at speed ?"

he's responding with "Mmmmm, all good points...."

Typical small minded leprechaun sh*te that stops us from changing and progressing with the rest of Europe.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement