Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism and cycling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Ciaran Cuffe is a very bad listener.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Duckjob wrote: »
    Pretty much, in a nutshell. Infuriating to listen to.

Despite being pro cycling, Shane Coleman is useless as the rest of them. Listening to people vomiting out this drivel and instead of asking

"WTF does that any of that have to do with protecting vulnerable human beings from being closed passed with tonnes of metal at speed ?"

he's responding with "Mmmmm, all good points...."

Typical small minded leprechaun sh*te that stops us from changing and progressing with the rest of Europe.

I’m on a few days off, so managed to catch it in the radio. Bizarre stuff. Kenny rabbiting on about cyclists breaking red Lights. Usual drivel. Then the ad break came in.”newstalk - sponsored by jaguar Land Rover”. Say no more on the target audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Just been discussed on NewsTalk now.

The listeners comments read out were befitting a progressive and civilised car-choked society in the grips of an obesity epidemic and a climate crisis *. A progressive and civilised car-choked society eager to embrace forward thinking ideas proven in other countries to benefit society in a multitude of ways

* may not be true

Caught a bit of this earlier on NT, so unbalanced and giving the angry drivel that was been texted in (probably from behind the wheel) so much time. It had a very "cyclists need to change their behavior theme".

McGrath5 wrote: »
    Caught a bit of this earlier on NT, so unbalanced and giving the angry drivel that was been texted in (probably from behind the wheel) so much time. It had a very "cyclists need to change their behavior theme".

Johnny public struggles with the concept of personal responsibility, so it’s always someone else’s fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,059 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    I’m on a few days off, so managed to catch it in the radio. Bizarre stuff. Kenny rabbiting on about cyclists breaking red Lights. Usual drivel. Then the ad break came in.”newstalk - sponsored by jaguar Land Rover”. Say no more on the target audience.

Chill. I'm sure Pat and Ivan will be rushing out today to cover the 98% speeding rates for drivers in urban areas just released by the RSA.

Pat?

Ivan?

Helloooooo? Can anyone hear me?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Chill. I'm sure Pat and Ivan will be rushing out today to cover the 98% speeding rates for drivers in urban areas just released by the RSA.

Pat?

Ivan?

Helloooooo? Can anyone hear me?

I remember when the proposed 20 and 30kmph speed limits were being pushed, the excuse, i sh1t you not, was it is impossible to drive a car that slow. Personally, if that excuse is ever given to a Garda or a judge, the license should be siezed immediately as it is clear they are unable to operate said vehicle correctly.

It is as if the people giving out had never been in a traffic jam and had to drive at 10 kmph for extended periods of time before, it was very weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Link?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

CramCycle wrote: »
    the excuse, i sh1t you not, was it is impossible to drive a car that slow.
    i remember several people arguing that on boards - 'my car is not capable of going that slowly, it's too powerful'. when asked how they managed in heavy traffic, they were unable to explain in a sensible manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,994 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I remember when the proposed 20 and 30kmph speed limits were being pushed, the excuse, i sh1t you not, was it is impossible to drive a car that slow. Personally, if that excuse is ever given to a Garda or a judge, the license should be siezed immediately as it is clear they are unable to operate said vehicle correctly.

It is as if the people giving out had never been in a traffic jam and had to drive at 10 kmph for extended periods of time before, it was very weird.

And in the same breath, if you were to cycle a bike at 30km/hr, you would be "cycling recklessly".

i remember several people arguing that on boards - 'my car is not capable of going that slowly, it's too powerful'. when asked how they managed in heavy traffic, they were unable to explain in a sensible manner.

I think Irish cars come with special gear boxes that makes this impossible. Different car gear boxes fitted on continental Europe that make this much easier :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,230 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Link?

RSA published it but the relevant screen shot is here
    [url]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Just caught the Pat Kenny piece now - bizarre indeed. Pat Kenny is a man with a definite agenda when it comes to cycling. Pushing hi-viz (non mandatory) by dismissing lighting (mandatory) as "a little red glimmer". The rechargeable LED rear light I use would be seen clearly in the dark over 1km away. I would imagine most modern LED lights are the same. Maybe Pat is needing a trip to the optician ?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,235 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Oisin from DublinCycling currently being castigated on Lahvlahn.
    He had no helmet on, cycling, towards the RTE camera
    :D:D

Horses.. The black ninja lycra cyclists.. no hi vis.. ludicrous and ridiculous Joe..cyclist hit pothole and broke his hip..compulsory to use cycle lane..totally black clothes...cyclists holding up buses..helmets should be compulsory..

• Registered Users Posts: 25,235 ✭✭✭✭zell12

And look our leader and the leader of the Danes not wearing helmets in Copenhagen a few weeks ago, yet silence in the media on safety
    EU-DENMARK%202.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

zell12 wrote: »
    why oh why would anyone with two brain cells to rub together go onto liveline? surely they know it'll just have all the mouthbreathers out in droves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭De Bhál

why oh why would anyone with two brain cells to rub together go onto liveline? surely they know it'll just have all the mouthbreathers out in droves.

my favourite quote was

"Joe, my brother was cycling and hit a pothole, he broke his hip but luckily for him he had a helmet on so he didn't crack his skull open..."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

He had no helmet on, cycling, towards the RTE camera
    :D:D

Horses.. The black ninja lycra cyclists.. no hi vis.. ludicrous and ridiculous Joe..cyclist hit pothole and broke his hip..compulsory to use cycle lane..totally black clothes...cyclists holding up buses..helmets should be compulsory..

...Is there anything to be said for another mass ted...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

And look our leader and the leader of the Danes not wearing helmets in Copenhagen a few weeks ago, yet silence in the media on safety
    EU-DENMARK%202.jpg

Thats cause he was in Copenhagen and those European's are different, safer one might say :pac:

Maybe they don't want to draw attention to that?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,059 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Do you want to leave the mouthbreathers there unchallenged?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭De Bhál

De Bhál wrote: »
    my favourite quote was

"Joe, my brother was cycling and hit a pothole, he broke his hip but luckily for him he had a helmet on so he didn't crack his skull open..."

and I almost forgot the classic from some other lockhard...

"Joe, you don't see any Tour De France cyclists without helmets, do you Joe?..."

• Advertisement

I’m assuming if you go to the bother of ringing liveline to moan about cyclists and helmets (sure isn’t it great to see the concern joe motorist has for us?), that you’ll also wear one when driving?

something something drag you down to their level and beat you with experience something something

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Joe doesnt like cyclist, he was inconvenienced by a few of them back in 2014 when they closed the road off outside chateaux duffy on a Sunday afternoon. Of course Joe being an impartial radio host didnt have an issue letting another clontarf native on to whinge about them clsoing the road that sunday

Actually yes, sometimes I can't help but feel that the rest of society would be better off if we did just simply ignore them.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

my favourite quote was

We should build the roads from the same stuff we did back in the 80s & early 90's, looked like the same concrete & tarmac to me but it simply couldn't have been. I remember ~80% of lads cycled to school helmetless and were dropping like flies in the icy weather and doing stunts and crazy stuff, cycling drunk was very common and I never heard of a single fractured skull in that school of ~500, nor from any of the other schools in the area friends went to, while nowadays I keep hearing about how many skulls would have been smashed open with 100% certainty. Maybe there was more calcium in the milk or something, did the cows change diet?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Actually yes, sometimes I can't help but feel that the rest of society would be better off if we did just simply ignore them.

The minute you agree to go on Liveline, you're losing. With shows like that it, it's not a debate. You're the entertainment. The bear that listeners get to prod with a stick.

Yeah as my dad would say "there's no arguing with stupid" and he's right but the problem is if you leave these views unchecked they become fact in many peoples minds and I'd wager many believe hi-vis and helmets are mandatory, we should be using cycle lanes at all times, we all run reds etc etc.

Looking at social media channels there seems to be fury among Johnny and Mary motorist. Apparently, “road tax”, cycling (insert multiple here) abreast, cycling on footpaths and breaking red lights are all linked to this new law.

Even if its untrue, I'd love to go in straight faced to one of those tv or radio "discussions" and say, yeah, I do that, so f*cking what. Because the truth is, even if it was a thing, or even an issue, so f*cking what. It does not excuse the behaviour of those who act like Johnny Vigilante as they skim a vulnerable road user in their D4 tractor.

I cycled home tonight, on three occasions I seen pedestrians cross the N11 and in a direction where we would be in a collision if I didn't change speed or direction. They didn't have Hi Vis or lights, they hadn't helmets, it was dark, they put themselves in that position. You know what I done, I changed speed and road position because none of that is an excuse to scare the sh1t or injure someone. Why cannot people get that, they may have been stupid in my opinion but I could still see them even if they made no attempt to be seen (I just had to look/pay attention), and while I felt they were not overly careful or courteous, it simply wasn't a big issue.

TLDR People should learn not to be d1cks, even if they feel justified, the no. 1 rule still applies, don't be a d1ck.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,768 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Just caught the Pat Kenny piece now - bizarre indeed. Pat Kenny is a man with a definite agenda when it comes to cycling. Pushing hi-viz (non mandatory) by dismissing lighting (mandatory) as "a little red glimmer". The rechargeable LED rear light I use would be seen clearly in the dark over 1km away. I would imagine most modern LED lights are the same. Maybe Pat is needing a trip to the optician ?

https://twitter.com/Bitter_lemons/status/1179779400713359362

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,768 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Even if its untrue, I'd love to go in straight faced to one of those tv or radio "discussions" and say, yeah, I do that, so f*cking what. Because the truth is, even if it was a thing, or even an issue, so f*cking what. It does not excuse the behaviour of those who act like Johnny Vigilante as they skim a vulnerable road user in their D4 tractor.
    tomasrojo wrote: »
    The analogy that occurred to me was somebody waiting in line to buy a lump hammer in Woodie's, when someone cuts in front of them, so they swing the hammer just past their head to teach them a lesson, and everyone in the queue starts talking about how awful people who cut in line are.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement