Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism and cycling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

tomasrojo wrote: »
    I'm assuming, though it's not at all clear, that they're thinking of people walking on rural roads with no footway. Though who knows.
    It would be nice to see the proposed laws. You hear similar knee jerk comments like banning or taxing "junk food", or having calories displayed or taxing "fast food", but then they are totally stumped when it comes to actually legally defining it.

The rules of the road already call for people to bring torches out.

http://www.rsa.ie/Documents/Learner%20Drivers/Rules_of_the_road.pdf
    Pedestrian deaths account for 1 in 5 deaths on our roads. This section covers the
    rules on walking along and crossing roads.
    The most important rule for all pedestrians is to behave responsibly, exercise
    care and not endanger or inconvenience other users of the road.
    Walking beside or along a road
    • If there is a footpath, you must use it.
    • If there is no footpath, you must walk as near as possible to the righthand side of the road (facing oncoming traffic).
    • Do not walk more than two abreast. If the road is narrow or carries heavy traffic, you should walk in single file.
    • You should always wear bright and hi-viz clothing during the day and reflective clothing at night when walking outside built-up areas.
    • You should always carry a torch when walking at night time.
    • You should always be aware of other road users
    The high viz advice talks about "built up areas", but the torch advise does not. It would be interesting to see how many hypocrites go on about others breaking the "rules of the road" who head out without torches.

Also remember this
    Speaking at the Oireachtas Transport Committee, Fianna Fáil TD Robert Troy suggested that it should be mandatory for pedestrians to wear high visibility jackets for their own safety.

Mr Ross said that he cannot think of any objection to the idea although he said enforcement could be an issue but it is something that should be considered.
    he could not think of any objection... if highly lit areas were exempt I guess he would have thought to mention it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

http://www.thejournal.ie/cyclist-damages-bus-3249004-Feb2017/
    Cyclist who collided with passenger at bus stop awarded €15,000 in damages

A 38-YEAR-OLD cyclist, who collided with a bus passenger exiting a bus, has been awarded €15,000 damages in the Circuit Civil Court.
    Judge Karen Fergus said Tracy Maher was, on January 31, 2014, cycling on a dedicated cycle lane on Swords Road in Co Dublin when the accident happened.
    Judge Fergus said Ms Maher did not recall the bus overtaking her but had seen people waiting in the bus shelter. The passenger had stepped off onto the pavement ahead of her.

http://www.thejournal.ie/garda-stolen-bikes-laptops-3249940-Feb2017/
    Van that pulled over before reaching Garda checkpoint was full of stolen bikes and computers

A MAN ARRESTED after gardaí stopped and searched a van on the M1 motorway north of Dublin has been charged and is expected to appear in court in Swords.
    He was detained after the vehicle stopped on the hard shoulder of the road to the north of a checkpoint mounted by officers as part of Operation Thor, in the early hours of Sunday morning.
    “Five bicycles and thirteen laptops, believed to be stolen property, were discovered in the van,” a Garda statement said.
    “A search of the foliage on the motorway embankment in the immediate vicinity led to the discovery of another bicycle also believed to be stolen.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Chuchote wrote: »

Ahh the comments section of the Journal.ie, the online cesspit showing the worst of Irish "society"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,585 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

rubadub wrote: »
    The rules of the road already call for people to bring torches out.
    it's one thing for the ROTR to mention it, it's another thing entirely if it's the law. is it actually in the law to carry a torch? i suspect not.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

ii it actually in the law to carry a torch? i suspect not.
    Of course it's not!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,768 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

And the advice about walking towards oncoming traffic is only broadly applicable. You definitely shouldn't walk around a blind corner arcing to the right on the right-hand side of the road.

A lot of this "should" advice in the RotR is just opinion really, and not usually the opinion of people who actually ever walk or cycle much.

That said, some of it is good advice. You just have to use your own judgement, like so many other things.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

we are through the looking glass when it's the RSA telling politicians to cool their jets on use of hi-vis.

http://irishcycle.com/2017/02/19/this-is-not-a-police-state-road-safety-boss-tells-politicians-looking-for-mandatory-high-vis/

It is one of the first times in a long time, I have some semblance of respect for the RSA, they have the odd good ad but in relation to cyclists this is the second thing that I can look at and think, well said.

This said in a linked article (from Irish Cycle), I read this from FF senator Sheehan:
    “I believe the motorist is the most vulnerable person on the road now because, God forbid it should happen, but if a driver is unlucky enough, in the dark of night, to hit a pedestrian who does not have a high-visibility vest, one can be sure it will be fatal if the car’s speed is over 25 mph. The point I want to stress about the vulnerable road user is that the person driving the car will have to live with that for the rest of his or her life.”
    If ever there was proof that Senators should not be selected from within parties, this is it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,585 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i would like to see an additional suggestion in the ROTR:
    If you live along a busy unlit road with no footpath facilities between you and the pub, consider moving somewhere more sensible.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭buffalo

tomasrojo wrote: »
    And the advice about walking towards oncoming traffic is only broadly applicable. You definitely shouldn't walk around a blind corner arcing to the right on the right-hand side of the road.

Cycling out from Enniskerry on Sunday, I spotted a couple walking away from me on the right-hand side of the road (good) into a right-curving bend (bad) with a footpath on the other side (wtf?).

https://goo.gl/maps/EgGkY4adW1z

Naturally, I tore past them really closely while roaring at them to use the paths built with my tax-payer's money.

rubadub wrote: »
    Do these clown politicians wear high viz themselves, do they force their wives spouses & children to do the same?

No, it's only for the peasantry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/more-than-12-000-cyclists-a-day-commute-into-dublin-city-1.2982547

If I was spending hours of my working week commuting by car - more than likely on a journey that could be walked, cycled or taken by public transport - I'd be leaping for joy with news that I have to share my road space with 12,000 less one and a half tonne vehicles that are largely 20% full.

But no - cyclists without hi-vis, helmets and breaking reds - on the FB link.

Conor Faughnan of the AA calls for more cycling infrastructure:

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/expert-slams-orbital-route-proposal-that-promises-to-solve-m50-traffic-chaos-35469202.html
    Mr Faughnan suggested improved public transport links and cycling routes…

“We need to be a bit more strategic than simply building new roads to fix the problem, because they inevitably tend to fill up…

“There has to be an investment more broadly in public transport. That area is only served reasonably well – quite good links into the city centre. If you’re trying to get from Tallaght to Finglas it becomes impracticable,” he said.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

i would like to see an additional suggestion in the ROTR:

I suspect the Healy-rae's will be out looking for you!!!!!!!!!

In reference to this "If you live along a busy unlit road with no footpath facilities between you and the pub, consider moving somewhere more sensible. "

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭JMcL

Weepsie wrote: »
    Private Cars should be the vary last consideration in future planning

Officially, this is already the case - Design Manual For Urban Roads and Streets (2013) (WARNING - chunky PDF)

Long letter in The Irish Times pleading for the Barrow path to be left alone (I quote the beginning)

http://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/letters/greenways-and-the-barrow-valley-1.2984023
    Felim O’Rourke’s letter of 21st February regarding the Barrow Blueway deserves a reply. He (February 21st) notes the value of off-road cycle and walkways in both Britain and Germany and talks of the success of the Western Greenway, all of which points are true. He also mentions the variety and varying age-profile of the users.
    However, the Barrow towpath is completely different to the Western Greenway or the soon to be opened Waterford Greenway, which are based on old railway lines.
    The Barrow towpath is flanked on one side by an often very fast-flowing river and a deep drainage ditch on the other, and I’m not sure that I could ever recommend to someone to bring their young children along it to learn to cycle there, surface “improvements” or no.
    As it stands, the Barrow towpath is a green laneway which every user, walker, jogger, cyclist, angler and the local wildlife use and enjoy for its unspoiled nature. This unspoiled nature is the great attraction of the Barrow.
    As a cyclist, I can manage to bounce, bump and bimble along at a leisurely pace without disturbing anyone and enjoy the peace and quiet afforded by the current grassy surface over the original towpath surface. The current surface doesn’t encourage speed, which is a good thing.
    Unfortunately, in places and particularly recently on the stretch south of Ballytiglea Bridge, Irish Waterways has laid down gravel and dust of the type proposed in their application. Having cycled on this surface, I can tell your readers that it is no improvement over the original surface. Noisy and harsh, I would be better off cycling on the road. And in laying down the surface at Ballytiglea Bridge, Irish Waterways cut down every tree, shrub and flower and blade of grass where the works were carried out. It is like a bombsite.

Also in today's Irish Times letters, this on smartphone zombies

http://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/letters/smartphone-zombies-1.2984020
    As a daily cycling commuter in Dublin city centre, I am forced to take evasive action on a regular basis from these lethal sleepwalkers for my own safety. This morning near Christchurch, a pedestrian stepped onto the street in front of me while blithely scrolling through a social media feed. Yesterday I witnessed a fellow cyclist, headphones in, and unaware until it was almost too late that a Luas was approaching behind him at speed. Last week on Thomas Street, a car drifted into the bus lane (and almost into me) as the driver struggled to maintain control of the vehicle and compose a text at the same time.

http://www.independent.ie/life/motoring/car-news/motorists-face-80-fine-and-penalty-points-for-driving-too-close-to-cyclists-35471559.html
    Motorists face €80 fine and penalty points for driving too close to cyclists

Cormac McQuinn
    22/02/2017 | 02:300

Motorists are to face fines and penalty points for driving too close to cyclists under a radical new law sought by Fine Gael.
    The move comes after 20 cyclists have died on Irish roads in the past two years.
    Under the planned law, drivers will face €80 fines and three penalty points slapped on their licences if they are caught encroaching on cyclists' road space. Fines of up to €1,500, and five penalty points, would be imposed if an incident ends up in court and results in a conviction.

'Radical' new law?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Even the headline on the print copy reads as 'now we have to put up with this crap because of feckin cyclists??'

ind-17.jpg

If there were a patient-sigh font, this would warrant it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

If there were a patient-sigh font, this would warrant it.

Imagine if the journo was a cyclist and put 'Finally' instead of the word 'Now' :pac:

Little things like that affect the thought of the reader though. It's all nudge theory. Just feeding further into directing ire towards cyclists.

The minimum passing story has gotten front page headlines on the indo to ensure it causes maximum frothing at the mouth from motorists. George Hook is probably being treated for an aneurism as we speak.

Not going to go down too well in car dependant and car dominant Ireland where people struggle with taking personal responsibility.

• Advertisement

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    The minimum passing story has gotten front page headlines on the indo

Saw that, "Radical" new plan by Fine Gael..."Radical" really? It's been in place for years in countries around the world!

Then you have Paul McWilliams on Newstalk, "Junior George"... and the usual diatribe from the listeners, "road tax" "licence plates" and laws to keep bicyclists from coming too close to cars..my God!

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Then you have Paul McWilliams on Newstalk, "Junior George"... and the usual diatribe from the listeners, "road tax" "licence plates" and laws to keep bicyclists from coming too close to cars..my God!

Let's not forget Ian O'Doherty, the voice of the oppressed motorist.

Automatic towing of vehicles parked in cycle lanes? Yes please!

http://www.thejournal.ie/cycle-lanes-towing-3251043-Feb2017/

Though not sure if it's Irony or what that the person on Twitter from Cyclistie.ie is taking the pic from a stopped car? :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

There's a thread over in motoring about possible measures to reduce speed limits on motorways. All fail to see that possible positives ie a possible 15% savings in emmisions, fuel consumption and all that goes with that. I can only imagine what they'd think about this proposal.

There's a thread over in motoring started by a regular anti cycling ranter about possible measures to reduce speed limits on motorways. All fail to see that possible positives ie a possible 15% savings in emmisions, fuel consumption and all that goes with that. I can only imagine what they'd think about this proposal.

It's the cyclists fault that motorway speeds are being reduced, sure they don't pay Motorway tax Joe! :pac:....:pac:...:pac:

There's a thread over in motoring about possible measures to reduce speed limits on motorways. All fail to see that possible positives ie a possible 15% savings in emmisions, fuel consumption and all that goes with that. I can only imagine what they'd think about this proposal.
    i have had people actually get annoyed with me when i tell them my typical speed on a motorway is 90km/h.

It wont get acted on by the garda. Haven't got the resources.

This is just another tactic by the government to distract people from the real issues in this country.

i have had people actually get annoyed with me when i tell them my typical speed on a motorway is 90km/h.

Once your in the slow Lane and not driving in the right hand lanes unless your overtaking, best of luck.

When I used to drive, I went back and forth to Galway a few times a year. At first I'd get up to 120 and stay there when possible, but I always arrived pretty stressed. So I eased back to 90ish. Not only did I arrive more relaxed, the journey also, mysteriously, took the same length of time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

In related news to the possible close pass law, police in UK have been trying to do the same.

https://cycliq.com/blogs/74-74-west-midlands-police-use-cycliq-cameras-in-much-praised-operation-close-pass

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement