Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism and cycling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

zell12 wrote: »
    Newstalk doing their commuter hell series again 04-08 November
    We will discuss the issues that matter to commuters, highlights concerns, offer solutions and some fun and levity throughout on air and on social content.
    https://www.newstalk.com/news/commuter-hell-914731

"None so blind as those who will not see"

It'll be re-fried beans - a recycling of the same old nonsense. They're still expecting planners to find ways to smash the laws of physics so everybody can drive their living rooms into the city at the same time.

Its always the same chicken and egg scenario. People saying they won't leave their cars at home until good public transport magically appears, but any real potential for proper alternative travel methods to grow into anything good is being stifled as long as the lions share of space is given over to private vehicles belonging to the same people.

Of course it wont be done because it wouldnt be popular with Joe and Mary motorist, but I believe this is one of the times where change needs to be brute forced a little by the government to get things moving in the right direction.

Restrict the sh*t out of cars in the city - People will feel a bit of pain, but so be it - in pain people will open their minds more and seek out alternatives.

At the same time, take the space reclaimed and use it to tip the balance quickly and ruthlessly to favour of active travel and clean public transport projects, so that people can see a light at the end of the tunnel.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,994 ✭✭✭✭Stark

i just find the notion that while yes, his handlers are worried that he could be involved in an incident which could injure him, they were so concerned about it to get him to wear one - even though the chances of being swiped by a wayward cement truck were probably a *little* less than you or i would face, given there were two prime ministers out for a slow cycle which was also a photo op.

I think your words may have some sort of curse :eek: https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/cyclist-dies-after-being-hit-by-cement-mixer-in-dublin-1.4069178

• Registered Users Posts: 29,059 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Duckjob wrote: »
    "None so blind as those who will not see"

It'll be re-fried beans - a recycling of the same old nonsense. They're still expecting planners to find ways to smash the laws of physics so everybody can drive their living rooms into the city at the same time.
    True, though there might be opportunities to hammer home the cycling message on social media.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

True, though there might be opportunities to hammer home the cycling message on social media.

Expecting lots and lots of “road tax”, insurance, red light breaking, helmet and hi vis wearing when it comes to any mention of cycling in commuter hell. But tumbleweeds when it comes to safe segregated cycling infrastructure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Expecting lots and lots of “road tax”, insurance, red light breaking, helmet and hi vis wearing when it comes to any mention of cu king in commuter hell. But tumbleweeds when it comes to safe segregated cycling infrastructure.

If it's mentioned at all it'll be:

"Shhhhhure bike lanes just make the congestion worse, and anyway those cyclists don't use the "perfectly good" cycle lanes we've given them already."

• Advertisement

Duckjob wrote: »
    If it's mentioned at all it'll be:

"Shhhhhure bike lanes just make the congestion worse, and anyway those cyclists don't use the "perfectly good" cycle lanes we've given them already."
    All the more reason to speak up

• Registered Users Posts: 4,856 ✭✭✭griffin100

Matt Cooper has two guests on this evening discussing the news and he mentioned the fatal accident involving a cyclist today. Matt did his usual faux concern voice and then the discussion turned to helmets, within 10 secs of talking about the death of the cyclist. Some Australian bint he had on referred to the fact that cyclists in helmets look like knobs, so that’s why they don’t wear them. She then did the usual rant about wasting money on cycling infrastructure when we have a health service that needs money. It was beyond despicable to link the death and a cyclist and her ranting into one segment. I don’t usually get bothered by the crap on radio but this made me mad .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,768 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I don't listen to Irish talk radio, because when it comes to certain topics dear to me, the hosts and guests pretty much all seem to be the most heartless dicks.

Unbelievable. A family is bereft of a loved one and this drivel is trotted out on the radio. The hate for cyclists carries on unabated.

Cooper is more often than not the biggest fool in the room on his TV and Radio shows but thinks he's the smartest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

He's giving the Newstalk listener what he/she wants, moan material.

donvito99 wrote: »
    He's giving the Newstalk listener what he/she wants, moan material.

For sure, but even for dicks, there's a time and a place.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

tomasrojo wrote: »
    For sure, but even for dicks, there's a time and a place.

Shure you had Hook talking about women asking to be raped because of what they wear, what do you expect. Perhaps if the women had been wearing hi viz, they wouldn't have been attacked.

I think it was generally agreed he'd gone too far on that occasion though. and he was disciplined for it. I could be wrong, but I bet most of the listeners today didn't even notice how wildly inappropriate it was talking about someone who only died a few hours ago in this manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,230 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

griffin100 wrote: »
    She then did the usual rant about wasting money on cycling infrastructure when we have a health service that needs money. It was beyond despicable to link the death and a cyclist and her ranting into one segment. I don’t usually get bothered by the crap on radio but this made me mad .

I unfortunately heard her, she was so tone deaf as to the topic but I put it down to the stereotypical dumb Australian attitude to cycling and her trying to be cool and edgy to garner further talking head spots.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Out of interest - what elements of cycling would people like to see covered in the media?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Tusky wrote: »
    Out of interest - what elements of cycling would people like to see covered in the media?

Little or none, it's a transportation mode. The only time it should be mentioned is in relation to increasing numbers due to the benefits it brings to society as a whole or as part of the sports section.

The way it's covered at the minute is a sign of the times we live in in terms of the media/social media. The constant hi-vis and helmet rubbish and we don't pay "road tax" then the silence regarding seatbelts, phones and speeding out side of the usual bank holiday initiative reported on the news. Clicks and a busy comments section stocking up nonsense are more important than common sense and facts.

Really though if it wasn't for cyclists they'd be raging at pedestrians for having the cheek to press the button to cross the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,994 ✭✭✭✭Stark

The frustrating thing with the hi-viz is the moving of the goalposts. People complain about cyclists not wearing hi-viz after dark. Majority of cyclists start wearing hi-viz after dark. Goalposts move so now the rants are about cyclists not wearing hi-viz in the middle of the day. Par for the course when dealing with people who love to complain though. Appeasement simply doesn't work.

Stark wrote: »
    The frustrating thing with the hi-viz is the moving of the goalposts. People complain about cyclists not wearing hi-viz after dark. Majority of cyclists start wearing hi-viz after work. Goalposts move so now the rants are about cyclists not wearing hi-viz in the middle of the day. Par for the course when dealing with people who love to complain though. Appeasement simply doesn't work.

I’ve been run off the road in central Dublin with a hi vis bag cover, front and rear strobes and had motorists yell “where’s your hi vis”. It’s almost an excuse now to run people over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Really though if it wasn't for cyclists they'd be raging at pedestrians for having the cheek to press the button to cross the road.
    Oh I’ve had this happen too! My dog had the temerity to do his business as the green man came on and Mr Mercedes objected to having to wait at the red as I’m there picking it up. I briefly considered throwing it at him.

Tusky wrote: »

The health benefits - such as the halving of cancer rates for those who cycle to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,235 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Today's Independent opinion piece
    FY8p7UI.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,230 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

What a clown.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

You might have thought that given yesterday's fatality, they might have decided to postpone that piece.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

No doubt the same reporter would have claimed a helmet would have helped when being run over by a truck.

The frustrating thing with the hi-viz is the moving of the goalposts. People complain about cyclists not wearing hi-viz after dark. Majority of cyclists start wearing hi-viz after dark. Goalposts move so now the rants are about cyclists not wearing hi-viz in the middle of the day. Par for the course when dealing with people who love to complain though. Appeasement simply doesn't work.

Where's your helmet
    Where's your hi-viz
    Where are your ankle lights
    Where is your spinal guard
    Where is your radio beacon
    Where is your robotic exoskeleton

It doesn't happen all that often, but I both get made fun of because of my preponderance of lights, and I also get people rolling up to me to tell me I'm hard to see. It's such bo11ocks.

Most of the media is really about putting people who seem to be challenging the status quo in their place. Which is why the cycling lobbies are simultaneously represented as very powerful and sinister, and hopeless idealists who are rather pathetic; as unattractive losers and as narcissists; as scofflaw hooligans and pious scolds.

Of course, the mere act of wanting to get to work (say) the most convenient way should not feel like challenging the status quo. Most people just want a quiet life, and don't particularly want to "signal" anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Caught a rerun of the last word this morning on the radio. Copper is a twat.
    They were discussing how unenforceable 1.5m passing law is because 'How could a driver know if its 1m or 1.7m that they are passing someone at', then went onto how lorries are the lifeblood of the country, and integral to being in a city to deliver goods, if the lorry is the exact width of the lane in our 'medieval streets' then how is he meant to make progress when a cyclist 'swings out onto the road in front of him'.

They settled on the only solution being to have dedicated cycling infrastructure everywhere because it's impossible to share existing roadspace safely.

It's ****e like this that annoys me, it's so bloody 'dog whistle' - cyclists delay lorries in our cities??? they should be in their own space, not the roads?? how can anyone possibly assess a safe passing distance? etc

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement