Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism and cycling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/15000-drivers-will-be-one-speeding-offence-away-from-ban-under-shane-ross-new-penalty-points-plan-38726934.html

'15,000 drivers will be one speeding offence away from ban under Shane Ross' new penalty points plan.'

Oh god help us! Will someone think of the poor drivers!!

They’re bleedin us dry, Joe.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,994 ✭✭✭✭Stark

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/15000-drivers-will-be-one-speeding-offence-away-from-ban-under-shane-ross-new-penalty-points-plan-38726934.html

'15,000 drivers will be one speeding offence away from ban under Shane Ross' new penalty points plan.'

Not that a driving ban seems to stop anyone these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Stark wrote: »
    Not that a driving ban seems to stop anyone these days.

No. It just means you don't need to buy insurance either...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Stop that you, it's an attack on rural Ireland! ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

cdaly_ wrote: »
    No. It just means you don't need to buy insurance either...

I pay my road tax, I pay for my insurance, never been in an accident and part of me is feeling more and more like a sucker because, truth be told, I'd probably have saved myself quite alot if I wasn't arsed. Deep down, I imagine this is the thinking of alot of people in their yellow regs who live and work in the South.

I'll still keep doing it but I will still keep feeling like a sap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Paddigol

McGrath5 wrote: »
    Stop that you, it's an attack on rural Ireland! ;)

Michael Collins TD was on Newstalk this morning defending his criticism of the new penalties on the basis that a) sometimes you're late for meetings and, ya know, kinda need to speed up a bit there; b) shur we're all only human and it's impossible to keep to the speed limit all the time; and c) the roads aren't great down in the country like, so, again, ya know, they should be allowed to speed as a sort of quid pro quo.

In fairness, the presenter laughed him out of it. But I'm sure that would just be seen as another attack on the country folk by the D4 folk.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Paddigol wrote: »
    Michael Collins TD was on Newstalk this morning defending his criticism of the new penalties on the basis that a) sometimes you're late for meetings and, ya know, kinda need to speed up a bit there; b) shur we're all only human and it's impossible to keep to the speed limit all the time; and c) the roads aren't great down in the country like, so, again, ya know, they should be allowed to speed as a sort of quid pro quo.

In fairness, the presenter laughed him out of it. But I'm sure that would just be seen as another attack on the country folk by the D4 folk.

I loved that particular piece of logic - the roads are crap and not suitable so we should be allowed speed even more. And country folk give out about "the dubs" laughing at them. Of course they f*cking laugh when the country folk keep voting in gombeens like this.

Paddigol wrote: »
    a) sometimes you're late for meetings and, ya know, kinda need to speed up a bit there;
    Leave earlier you bollix
    b) shur we're all only human and it's impossible to keep to the speed limit all the time;
    It is possible and it depends on the definition of human
    c) the roads aren't great down in the country like, so, again, ya know, they should be allowed to speed as a sort of quid pro quo.
    So the response to safe driving is to say that some roads are not safe to drive on at speed, there fore you should be allowed speed to make up for it?
    Why not suggest that money generated is put into rural road improvements, that would at least have a modicum of sense in what was being said (although maybe not fiscally)

Words escape me. As always was said to me, how do you know someone isn't fit to be a politician? They are one, and they chose to be.
    I am originally from the country, most of us don't actually think like that, it is the likes of this numpty and the Healy Raes driving a divide, and us vs them mentality, not much different to the motorists vs cyclist rubbish, that only helps politicians and hinders everyone else.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,585 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i saw a comment on twitter (in an UK context), that the vast majority of filling stations in the UK have ANPR cameras, in case of drive-offs.
    the suggestion was that they should make it mandatory to lock the pump on anyone trying to fill up an untaxed or uninsured car. if that was possible, it'd be genius. you'd pretty much instantly solve the tax and insurance problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

i saw a comment on twitter (in an UK context), that the vast majority of filling stations in the UK have ANPR cameras, in case of drive-offs.
    the suggestion was that they should make it mandatory to lock the pump on anyone trying to fill up an untaxed or uninsured car. if that was possible, it'd be genius. you'd pretty much instantly solve the tax and insurance problem.

You'd see sales of Syphon pumps going through the roof!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

PaulieC wrote: »
    I loved that particular piece of logic - the roads are crap and not suitable so we should be allowed speed even more. And country folk give out about "the dubs" laughing at them. Of course they f*cking laugh when the country folk keep voting in gombeens like this.[/QUOTE]

I think, we could all name a few gob****es that the Dubs have voted in.
    Unfortunately, it's a nationwide problem.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,585 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Eamonnator wrote: »
    I think, we could all name a few gob****es that the Dubs have voted in.
    one of my local TDs is a convicted terrorist.

I listened to Fergus O Dowd on SoR this morning quote the RSA figures for rural vs urban road deaths to August and it was something like 70 out of 90 being rural yet some see the speed laws and drink driving laws as an attack on rural Ireland:confused:

/shakes head.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭McGrath5

I loved that particular piece of logic - the roads are crap and not suitable so we should be allowed speed even more. And country folk give out about "the dubs" laughing at them. Of course they f*cking laugh when the country folk keep voting in gombeens like this.

Throw in a few special "drink driving licenses" on top of that, shur it'll all be grand . :D

Thud wrote: »
    she sounds like a right character; 3 year olds radicalised by ISIS, a (now settled) bullying claim by an employee, and bollocking RSA employees carrying out vehicle inspections:
    https://www.businesspost.ie/politics/taoiseach-refuses-to-criticise-murphys-contact-with-rsa-inspector-ac219b3c

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

she sounds like a right character; 3 year olds radicalised by ISIS, a (now settled) bullying claim by an employee, and bollocking RSA employees carrying out vehicle inspections:
    https://www.businesspost.ie/politics/taoiseach-refuses-to-criticise-murphys-contact-with-rsa-inspector-ac219b3c

We were reading the paper at home on Saturday over breakfast. Mrs. Lovell was reading an account of Verona Murphy's campaign.

When she was finished, she put down the paper and gestured towards our almost three year-old young fella, who was somewhat inarticulately demanding a cup of milk despite the fact that his mouth was full of sausage.

"Look at him", she said. "Can you imagine him being radicalised by ISIS?"

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

We were reading the paper at home on Saturday over breakfast. Mrs. Lovell was reading an account of Verona Murphy's campaign.

When she was finished, she put down the paper and gestured towards our almost three year-old young fella, who was somewhat inarticulately demanding a cup of milk despite the fact that his mouth was full of sausage.

"Look at him", she said. "Can you imagine him being radicalised by ISIS?"
    With a sausage in his mouth it sounds like he has been radicalised the opposite way, the little infidel!
    Unless it was a turkey sausage then he can still join Isis!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Of course they f*cking laugh when the country folk keep voting in gombeens like this.
    The reasons some people in this country (anywhere in this country) vote for politicians are mental. A texter on (I think) Matt Cooper the other day said he was going to vote for Verona Murphy, not because of her racist views, but because it's to replace Mick Wallace, who was from south Wexford, and the other TDs are all from north Wexford.

I mean she's Fine Gael! Has Mick Wallace ever agreed with Fine Gael about anything? It's simply not about views or policies for some voters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

Is it north or south Wexford that has the funny Northern-sounding accent? And which end was the one that was United men in '98?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

one of my local TDs is a convicted terrorist.

Not giving much away about where you're from, are you?

• Advertisement

aha - where i'm from and where i live are two different things!

Breezer wrote: »
    A texter on (I think) Matt Cooper the other day said he was going to vote for Verona Murphy, not because of her racist views, but because it's to replace Mick Wallace, who was from south Wexford, and the other TDs are all from north Wexford.
    there's a little vignette in a book i read by john mcgahern, where he relates a conversation with a neighbour about an upcoming election. his neighbour, in relation to one of the local politicians, said 'i wouldn't vote for that prick, he wouldn't flash you even if he knew it was you'.
    mcgahern did a double take before realising that the neighbour was talking about being passed by this chap on the road in a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,235 ✭✭✭✭zell12

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭buffalo

zell12 wrote: »

gah, it's infuriating when your views overlap with someone you detest. Scrap the RSA and replace it with a body that isn't completely focussed on continuing the status quo.

buffalo wrote: »
    gah, it's infuriating when your views overlap with someone you detest. Scrap the RSA and replace it with a body that isn't completely focussed on continuing the status quo.

She doesn't want to replace it, Verona is very much of the opinion that people should be allowed do what they want so long as she is making money. I can assure you, your view and hers only overlapin the sense that some of the words you use are the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

Murphy is one of the worst people in the country. Im sure its been covered here, but there was a moment in a primetime on cycling last year where she took visible glee and smirked as she used the death of a cyclist to score points in the debate.

An absolutely vile, repulsive individual.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

droidus wrote: »
    Murphy is one of the worst people in the country. Im sure its been covered here, but there was a moment in a primetime on cycling last year where she took visible glee and smirked as she used the death of a cyclist to score points in the debate.

An absolutely vile, repulsive individual.

Probably more like one of the worst candidates, and really 'vile, repulsive.'

FG are down one of their notorious insurance experts, and now they have this person as a TD.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

From Aussieland...
    Attack on cyclist caught on camera, police identify suspect from footage
    A road rage attack between a ute driver and a cyclist in Cairns in Far North Queensland has been caught on camera from two different angles, identifying the attacker who is now being sought by police.

I only just noticed today James Reilly is running in Dublin. I'm likely forgetting a reason why FG wouldn't be putting a lot of effort into getting him back in and are going all out with Murphy down south :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,994 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Thought he passed away there in July?

?u=https%3A%2F%2Fi.ytimg.com%2Fvi%2FE-90vauEIDQ%2Fhqdefault.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement