Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism and cycling

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,585 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the analysis i've seen has suggested neither murphy nor reilly will be elected.
    i like the posters for dean mulligan; he's not dean mulligan, he's 'the clare daly candidate', with clare daly photoshopped into his poster making her look like a teacher looking over the shoulder of a bold pupil.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭buffalo

This is odd language - is it standard for Oz?
    Police investigating the alleged attack say they have nominated a suspect

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

buffalo wrote: »
    This is odd language - is it standard for Oz?

I remember, many years ago, being involved (in a minor way) in the investigation of a murder. There was video evidence (cine camera) of the crime.
    As a result of the video, a number of suspects were nominated. And that was the exact expression used by the officer in charge of the case. I have heard the expression used several times since.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Going to be interesting to see what the media make of these when they see them.

An Post testing electric bikes

https://www.reddit.com/r/ireland/comments/e2i6z9/postmen_out_testing_the_new_electric_bikes/?utm_content=comments&utm_medium=post_embed&utm_name=86cd0152feff42b984dfe1354f88c01a&utm_source=embedly&utm_term=e2i6z9

Few close dangerous passes and An Post might be complaining in the media about people endangering their workforce, might be no harm!

We've a few locally , last I saw one was yesterday on Donore Rd in Drogheda and he was hugging the kerb getting close passes.

All he needed to do was keep out 15-20cm and the door would have been closed to traffic behind. Though maybe inexperience with the additional width of the box and rear wheels and his central position may have made him feel he was further out than he was perhaps. Uphill they do a really nice pace!!!!

Not cheap, I specked one out of curiosity and it was north of 10 grand.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I love the little ramp they go over.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Weepsie wrote: »
    I love the little ramp they go over.

I really thought that video was going to show it colliding with the guy walking across the car park with the bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭SPDUB

CramCycle wrote: »
    I really thought that video was going to show it colliding with the guy walking across the car park with the bin.

That what they call in An Post an "ALT" , can't remember what the T stands for but the first two letters are Automatic Leveling

Used for sorting packages , as you take packages out of it the level of the interior rises up and thus saves you from having to bend over to get the last items out of it .

T is for table, seen them in a factory we were doing an audit in years ago. Brilliant idea, company were losing working days due to back and repetitive strain injury, one of their engineers built a table on cross legs that moved up and down either by weight or manual control. Not only did lost days disappear, the process actually sped up significantly.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

What strange reporting
    The driver then stepped out of the ute, walked up to the cyclist and attacked him from behind, knocking him to the ground.

He can be clearly seeing running up behind the cyclist

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭Thud

Verona could very well end up as transport minister some day given her background..god help us all.

There was a piece on the Nine o'clock news last night about life changing injuries on roads, 3,500 of them between 2014-2017. Road deaths make the headlines but not many of these injuries do. Worth a watch on the RTE player about 18mins in

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭JMcL

Cabaal wrote: »
    Going to be interesting to see what the media make of these when they see them.

An Post testing electric bikes

https://www.reddit.com/r/ireland/comments/e2i6z9/postmen_out_testing_the_new_electric_bikes/?utm_content=comments&utm_medium=post_embed&utm_name=86cd0152feff42b984dfe1354f88c01a&utm_source=embedly&utm_term=e2i6z9

Few close dangerous passes and An Post might be complaining in the media about people endangering their workforce, might be no harm!

I've often thought they'd make sense where I live as we're well stocked with 10-15% inclines. The usual postie on our route is out on one of the bike tank like bikes in all weathers and always has a smile on his face

JMcL wrote: »
    I've often thought they'd make sense where I live as we're well stocked with 10-15% inclines. The usual postie on our route is out on one of the bike tank like bikes in all weathers and always has a smile on his face

No wonder, research shows, he will typically receive his pension for 10 years longer than most of his co workers and do it in better health, so actually enjoy it.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,809 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Most of us are probably aware of these but interesting research on the reporting of cycling related crashes
    6 Ways Our Society Is Failing Cyclists With Words Alone

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭work

Most of us are probably aware of these but interesting research on the reporting of cycling related crashes
    6 Ways Our Society Is Failing Cyclists With Words Alone

Well written, it really shows how cyclists are not well represented by my the media. For example we say a cyclist died with no Hi Viz or helmet versus a driver killed a cyclist with their 1.5 tonne car in a crash!

The media often not only blamed cyclists but gives a free pass to drivers. You have to wonder how this happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,768 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Yes, that was a good read.

The worst recent manifestation of it, especially in the USA, is taking the death of a pedestrian as an opportunity to write an article about "distracted pedestrians", especially when the pedestrian was crossing on what is supposed to be a dedicated safe space for pedestrians and the driver broke the light.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Yes, that was a good read.

The worst recent manifestation of it, especially in the USA, is taking the death of a pedestrian as an opportunity to write an article about "distracted pedestrians", especially when the pedestrian was crossing on what is supposed to be a dedicated safe space for pedestrians and the driver broke the light.
    I saw a comic recently showing how much space is really available to pedestrians because of vehicles:

3206.0.jpg

Created for the Swedish Road Administration by artist Karl Jilg.

Throw a few cars up on the path or over the stop line and this space is reduced even further.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

I saw a comic recently showing how much space is really available to pedestrians because of vehicles:

3206.0.jpg

Created for the Swedish Road Administration by artist Karl Jilg.

Throw a few cars up on the path or over the stop line and this space is reduced even further.

https://twitter.com/Dub14Blockers/status/1164086913042698240?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭work

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/dublin-bus-driver-being-spat-at-by-cyclist-was-worst-feeling-ever-1.4099463%3fmode=amp

Fantastic click bait, the usual anti "cyclist" narrative from the Irish Times. The article is about two drivers who cannot go back to work, one spat at by a cyclist and one robbed. They could not return to work!!!
    The title is a disgrace feeding the continuous anti-cycling narrative of the IT.
    One staff member was threatened with rape but cyclist and spat is the headline, it make me so mad.
    Equivalent anti group articles about pedestrians or groups could have read:
    Terrorist pedestrian murders three in London.
    Driver kills boy in crash...
    But we don't mention their modes of transport!!!

I think Verona Murphy will not be a TD, based on current counts.

• Advertisement

I think Verona Murphy will not be a TD, based on current counts.

I think there was a time you had to be human to run but maybe that was just accepted wisdom and she proved it wasn't a hard and fast rule.

work wrote: »
    One staff member was threatened with rape but cyclist and spat is the headline, it make me so mad.

I do get the strong impression they've identified "cyclists are assholes" stories as ones that get clicks and letters.

Phrased nicely as well, that many people reading it will presume it's some lycra clad club member rather than two scrotes with nothing to do. As you said, how that made the title Vs attempted sexual assault is insane.

Verona eliminated.In the count, I mean!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Verona eliminated.In the count, I mean!

giphy.gif

She seems to be determined to run in the general election, which might mean running as an independent, as I doubt Fine Gael are entirely happy with how the campaign went.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,994 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Yeah Pascal Donaghue was on the news earlier trying to diplomatically downplay her chances.

https://twitter.com/oconnellhugh/status/1200861789686304772

Not sure Fine Gael will have her again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

work wrote: »

However, the 53-year-old from Blanchardstown says being spat at by a cyclist last summer was “the worst feeling ever”.

“I’d rather have been stabbed,” he says. “I actually don’t think the stabbing was as intrusive.”

Either this individual is carrying around a seriously f*cked up level of anti-cyclist bias or else he's been used/misrepresented by the IT to flog their agenda.

As scummy as spitting at somebody is, anyone who claims they would prefer to be stabbed than spat at is an irrational idiot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭LennoxR

Duckjob wrote: »
    Either this individual is carrying around a seriously f*cked up level of anti-cyclist bias or else he's been used/misrepresented by the IT to flog their agenda.

As scummy as spitting at somebody is, anyone who claims they would prefer to be stabbed than spat at is an irrational idiot.

You beat me to it. There is absolutely no need for the anti-cyclist headline. What happened is two (searches carefully for words) anti-social youths, who happened to be on bikes, spat at him. And to be fair I don't blame the driver here at all. It's the Irish Times that decided to make this an anti cyclist thing. Had they been on foot would it have been 'pedestrian spat at driver'? Regarding stabbing vs spitting, no need to make that a contest here, I don't think.

But the headline is not only misleading - as if it was a commuter or a cyclist out training - but this stuff is actually dangerous, as it fuels anger against people on bikes.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement