Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism and cycling

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

In all seriousness. It’s letter time. I stopped reading the times a long time ago, so that threat won’t work. But maybe it’s time to hit the IT with some complaints and remind those who advertise them about your views? Too much?

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭LennoxR

In all seriousness. It’s letter time. I stopped reading the times a long time ago, so that threat won’t work. But maybe it’s time to hit the IT with some complaints and remind those who advertise them about your views? Too much?

Well I've sent them a message on twitter for a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭work

LennoxR wrote: »
    Well I've sent them a message on twitter for a start.

I will also send a letter letting them know it's time to stop their anti,-cycling rhetoric. They should be ashamed

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,809 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭BrianHenryIE

RTEs flagship science show revealed pedestrians and cyclists are most at risk from the poor quality air which can led to health problem [sic].

Pollution in Dublin 'alarming', says UCD scientist [irishexaminer.com]

Previous research has suggested the opposite.

Higher air pollution health risk inside car, study finds [airqualitynews.com]

Where do we stand?!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,585 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Where do we stand?!
    as far away from cars as you can, i guess.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,809 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Padding the figures: Garda orders 200 lycra shorts with Italian cushioning
    Force is planning to spend about €135,000 on high-end cycling gear for its members

* cynical crap from the IT

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,585 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

The Garda is seeking to spend about €135,000 plus VAT on high-end cycling gear for its members, according to a request for tender document published last week.

The winning supplier will be required to provide 1,200 pieces of equipment which could do the job on the Alpe d’Huez, never mind the back roads of Athlone.
    how about they actually get someone who knows what they're talking about to comment on how much cycling gear designed to be worn all day can cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭Melodeon

It all looks to me like the sort of stuff anyone spending any significant amount of time on a bike would be purchasing for themselves, but there's always room to slip in a quip or two about the 'Alpe d'Huez' and 'yellow jerseys'. :rolleyes:

i just looked it up for fun. in the first three quarters of 2019, an garda siochana has spent over €5m on vehicle purchases.
    there's an eye watering drop in acquisition between 2008 and 2009 - the spend went from over €8m to just over €200k.

https://www.garda.ie/en/Information-Centre/Freedom-of-Information/Publication-Scheme/Budgets-and-spending/Purchase-of-vehicles.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭buffalo

The most worrying part of that article is:
    The force is seeking to purchase 200 sets of lycra cycling shorts complete with “ergofit padding from Italy”.

The purchase is part of a move to modernise the uniforms of the some 800 members trained to carry out their duties from the back of a mountain bike.

Are they sharing chamois? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭Melodeon

Johnathan Healy threw this out as a topic for discussion on the Pat Kenny Show on Newstalk a few minutes ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

To catch a Lycra lout, one must become a Lycra lout.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Force is planning to spend about €135,000 on high-end cycling gear for its members

You know that they just *HAD* to get the word "lycra" into the headline.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,392 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

garda provide correct equipment for their officers shock

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

garda provide correct equipment for their officers shock

But it's not any old equipment - it's LYCRA Joe, LYCRA !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I-talian Lycra too, Joe. That's a long way from Templemore.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,058 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

It smells a little like a tender that was written to match the specification of one particular supplier - strangely detailed in parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

It smells a little like a tender that was written to match the specification of one particular supplier - strangely detailed in parts.

I work with a lot of publicly procured projects - mind you, largely construction projects not procuring Lycra - but you can’t name your products as it breaches EU procurement laws. So you specify your products in all but name, or else you’ll end up with complete ****e

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    I work with a lot of publicly procured projects - mind you, largely construction projects not procuring Lycra - but you can’t name your products as it breaches EU procurement laws. So you specify your products in all but name, or else you’ll end up with complete ****e

• cycling shoes are required. These should have a soft mesh lining “with provides instant comfort” and something called a fork-shank “to ensure flexibility and stability.”
    • lycra cycling shorts complete with “ergofit padding from Italy
    • a winter glove with a “special 3-layer thermo system”.
    • helmets are also required. These should have 14 air vents
    Are the highlighted bits really functional specifications? If I can supply shorts with ergofit padding from France, am I excluded from the tender? Is there any basis to say that padding from Italy is best.

If I can supply helmets with 15 air vents, am I excluded?

It seems irrationally specific in places.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

It is too specific and as someone who also has worked on public tenders, it is simply too specific if these are the words in the tender and enough to get themselves in hot water. You can write them to exclude some parties who are not fit for purpose but honestly, that's stupid, just weight the marking to suit the better product.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I'm guessing these are the shorts:

https://bbbcycling.com/en_en/bbw-220-corsa-shorts

They seem to fit all the criteria.

And these seem to be the winter gloves:

https://bbbcycling.com/au_en/bwg-29-watershield

And the glasses and helmet appear to be BBB brand as well.

I wonder who the Irish importer of BBB products is.

Eamonnator wrote: »
    I'm guessing these are the shorts:

https://bbbcycling.com/en_en/bbw-220-corsa-shorts

They seem to fit all the criteria.
    Very interesting.

Does "ergofit padding" actually mean anything, or is it just a makey-uppey word?

Oh dear, they just copy/pasted the lines from that web site. You can find what Andrew posted in bold in the corresponding links Eamon posted.

There might be a Northwave shoe, that fits the bill.

Oh dear, they just copy/pasted the lines from that web site. You can find what Andrew posted in bold in the corresponding links Eamon posted.

even down to "correct muscular compression", whatever that is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

JHI In Finglas would cover those two brands.

Tenders, hate them. Been involved from both ends. Fair system to a degree. Open to corruption on both ends.

JHI In Finglas would cover those two brands.

Tenders, hate them. Been involved from both ends. Fair system to a degree. Open to corruption on both ends.

are these tenders openly advertised?

• Advertisement

Eamonnator wrote: »
    are these tenders openly advertised?

Above 25k I think it has to advertised on etenders.gov.ie must have a look to see if I can see it there.

EDIT: convenient "Site down for maintenance"

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement