Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism and cycling

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,809 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Duckjob wrote: »
    I guess if he had met some something, I probably wouldn't be sitting here typing this.

Mind..... blown......
    What you're failing to see is that you, as a cyclist, don't matter! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

following on from the gardai telling cyclists not to upload videos of bad driving, this one is a genuine head scratcher - and it's not the gardai themselves behind it. though as it's behind a paywall, i can't see what the reasoning is:

Gardaí are told to switch off number plate ID cameras
    https://www.businesspost.ie/ireland/gardai-are-told-to-switch-off-number-plate-id-cameras-5a0b7709

how could there be an objection to examining a piece of information which is legally required to be displayed prominently on a car, where the information they are trying to glean about that car (from a distance) must also be displayed, albeit not as prominently?

ANPR was a disaster when first introduced, some people had cars seized even though they were insured, and they were left to make their own way home.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/commuter-hell-my-daily-commute-is-affecting-my-mental-health-1.4109774?mode=amp

cyclists interviewed seem to be the happiest comments. Few comments on the FB page about cyclists holding up traffic. Still hard to believe people believe this in a city that’s besieged by 20% full motorised three piece suites.

Interesting research assisted by Strava in this...
    Women love bikes—so why don’t they cycle to work?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Not ure if this should be in here or in a seperate thread, holy f*ck, I thought it was bad when the scumbags threw rocks at you:
    https://twitter.com/maltanar/status/1204178242195935233?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

CramCycle wrote: »
    Not ure if this should be in here or in a seperate thread, holy f*ck, I thought it was bad when the scumbags threw rocks at you:

I think we need to accept that certain areas of Dublin, and other Irish towns and cities are basically Lawless, and are no go areas..I think most of us who grew up in these towns will realise this anyways.

It's too easy for feral youths to rob someone of an item such as a bicycle, which they will sell on for as little as €20 just to get a fix of drugs, and not suffer any consequences, even if they do get caught if they're underage then the Gards will just bring them home, and within the hour the same youths will be back out on the streets. Of if brought up in front of a Judge it will be suspended sentence number 105 for some.

This is why a lot of people who could cycle will instead drive as at least you have protection around you...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

There was another attack over the weekend also.

https://twitter.com/MrAuPif/status/1204354889729613824

Shall we see this twitter thread discussed in the media?
    https://twitter.com/AnBurcach/status/1204190293085609985

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

The gardai need to do a clean sweep of the place, this is quite brutal physical assault and hit the wrong way, won't be too far from a manslaughter/murder investigation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

It was extensively covered on Liveline earlier, with one person saying the attackers had moved from one part of the district to another; the discussion ended in calls for vigilantism.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Rechuchote wrote: »
    ...the discussion ended in calls for vigilantism.

Good old Liveline. In a world of uncertainty, it’s reassuring that some things never change.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭the world wonders

Picked up by the Journal too:
    Gardaí promise response as Dublin cyclists share images after attacks by teens with metal poles
    In a statement, gardaí have said they have received several reports of assaults in the area including one that happened yesterday evening at 7.45pm.

“As part of Operation ‘Open City’, which is currently ongoing, and in response to a number of recent incidents of anti-social behaviour and criminal behaviour visibility of An Garda Síochána will be increased across Dublin including the Canal/Bluebell area,” gardaí said in a statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Rechuchote wrote: »
    ... the discussion ended in calls for vigilantism.
    Good old Liveline. In a world of uncertainty, it’s reassuring that some things never change.

With no law enforcement and judicial system to back it up when guards actually do reprimand some of these scum there are very few alternative solutions. Multiple previous convictions and unpaid fines mean nothing to them so if we had corporal punishment like in Singapore I'm sure they'd think twice about their actions after 5 lashes. With no consequences to their actions they have nothing to fear about destroying other peoples property and well being.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Shall we see this twitter thread discussed in the media?
    https://twitter.com/AnBurcach/status/1204190293085609985

was this a cyclist?

Eamonnator wrote: »
    was this a cyclist?

I had thought it was but upon re-reading it, maybe not
    Sorry :(

• Registered Users Posts: 20,994 ✭✭✭✭Stark

A letter in today's Irish Times...
    Seeing cyclists in the dark
    Sir, – I would like apologise to the cyclist I almost hit on Monday night.

As they were wearing a high-visibility jacket and had bright lights this would seem even less excusable but it was only as the cyclist passed close in front of my car that I first saw the hand signal to turn right. The reason being the hand was in a black glove at the end of a black sleeve.

I am primarily a motorist, who cycles occasionally. I wear a bright red jacket when cycling.

I understand black jackets are more fashionable but I am old enough to remember gardaí on point duty wearing white gloves so their hand signals could be seen.

While these have gone out of fashion there are a wide variety of skiing gloves with reflective strips that I believe are fashionable. – Yours, etc,

DAVID DOYLE,

Goatstown, Dublin 14.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/letters/seeing-cyclists-in-the-dark-1.4111194

Thinking about it, assuming that the lights on his car were working, he should be well able to see the cyclist's gesturing despite the cyclist's clothing.

I see that the letter above is being discussed on Twitter...
    https://twitter.com/dublincycling/status/1204679830492585984

Must be tough for that poor motorist. He must have clocked up a few decent hits colliding with everything non hi vis. Parked cars. Poles. Street furniture.

I find indicating on a bike in night or dark you’re regularly ignored. You simply don’t matter on a bike. Last night, for example, I was ignored in the bus lane indicating trying to get across at the Guinness brewery. Helmet light, rear light on the bike - both very bright - hi vis bag cover and my cycling jacket (non hi vis) has reflective stripes on the sleeves, presumably to assist motorists seeing me when indicating right. Lights on my arms would make zero difference. You simply don’t matter on a bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,994 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Slippery slope I mentioned in another thread a while back.

"Cyclists should have lights"
    "They do have lights"
    "Well they should also have hi-viz"
    "They do have hi-viz"
    "Well they should also have reflective gloves".

Tbh, I've driven around the city centre a few times and never had a problem seeing the ninja cyclists from a couple of hundred metres away. The ambient street lighting and the car headlight lighting works well enough. If it didn't, then we'd be piling up bodies of pedestrians as there there are plenty dressed in black crossing the road without looking. Obviously lights are still a requirement but no excuse for people not looking where they're driving in a heavily built-up and well-lit area either. The one thing I would say is that a good front light makes a world of difference if you're looking for a cyclist in your mirrors when turning.

Problem is that motorists are now expecting cyclists to be in hi vis because it’s being ingrained by the RSA that cyclists should wear it, it’ll soon be an acceptable defense if a motorist hits a cyclist that they didn’t have a big fluorescent jacket on. I’ve had a few motorists say to me I should be in hi vis, despite being lit like a Christmas tree.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭eclipsechaser

I find if you change the word cyclist to "school-child crossing the road", it's a useful tool to highlight the (literal) criminal stupidity in these attitudes. Imagine for instance that the only question asked of parents whose child was hit by a car is if the child was wearing a helmet. And then a shrug as if to say that the child is complicit because they didn't wear a helmet.

Sir, – I would like apologise to the "school-child crossing the road" I almost hit on Monday night.

As they were wearing a high-visibility jacket and had bright lights this would seem even less excusable but it was only as the "school-child crossing the road" passed close in front of my car that I first saw their hands out. The reason being the hand was in a black glove at the end of a black sleeve.

I am primarily a motorist, who "crosses the road with school-children" occasionally. I wear a bright red jacket when "crossing the road with school-children".

I understand black jackets are more fashionable but I am old enough to remember gardaí on point duty wearing white gloves so their hand signals could be seen.

While these have gone out of fashion there are a wide variety of skiing gloves with reflective strips that I believe are fashionable. – Yours, etc,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭xckjoo

A letter in today's Irish Times...
    Seeing cyclists in the dark

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/letters/seeing-cyclists-in-the-dark-1.4111194

Thinking about it, assuming that the lights on his car were working, he should be well able to see the cyclist's gesturing despite the cyclist's clothing.
    Sometimes I think lights and high viz actually make it hard for them to see me gesture to turn. But lets be honest, he wasn't paying attention and had to come up with some reason to justify feeling wronged by nearly hitting the cyclist.

Dublin drivers are atrocious for ignoring all indicators though. Recently had the displeasure to drive around Dublin for the first time in ages. Indicating to change lanes seems to be treated as a sign of weakness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭Melodeon

xckjoo wrote: »
    Indicating to change lanes seems to be treated as a sign of weakness.

It's actually a treasonous act: Passing Information to the Enemy.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Not to mention roundabouts, where you can neither the trust the people not indicating nor the people indicating.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭JMcL

Not to mention roundabouts, where you can neither the trust the people not indicating nor the indicating.

This. The most head-scratching being the eejits that indicate right to go straight through the roundabout :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

I'm struggling to figure out the logistics in this one. Is it that the bike was coming in the opposite direction and was signalling to turn right across in front of the driver?

Or the bike was going in the same direction? And then signalled right and move to pass in front?

Just not sure how he came close to hitting a cyclist who was indicating right. Almost seems like an excuse to rant...In the Irish Times? Never.

I've gotten to the point where I've realised you just can't win. Deck yourself in high vis, cycle a bike made entirely of lights, make eye contact with every driver and they'll come up with something else "Sure I didn't hear them."

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i feel kinda sorry for Richie Oakley, a deserved award but a dubious source:

https://twitter.com/RSAIreland/status/1204738241242501120

• Advertisement

In a Jimmy Rabbitte voice, I'm hearing the words "Good Jaysus"...

https://twitter.com/DublinCommuters/status/1204683664052887552

* edit: appears to be in Manchester when I zoom in on the image

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement